• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Telegraph: Spicer apologized for GCHQ wiretapping Trump claim; Spicer: Nuh-uh!

Status
Not open for further replies.
UK spy agency help Obama spy on Trump?

landscape-1488976910-ezgifcom-gif-maker.gif

*deceased*

So, Spicer denying they apologized is a big deal right? I'm not imagining it's a big deal, it's actually a big deal right?

Well I mean if they did apologize, I guess they just took it back and I imagine whoever they apologized to will not appreciate it. If they didn't, it was just bad reporting and not a big deal.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Relationships with allied nations are a trivial matter

The UK is Americas biggest ally lol.

Yeah, I'm sure what Spicer said will alter another country's foreign policy because, you know, what he says carries so much weight on the world stage. Come on guys. If the UK decides to do something about it besides getting mad, I'll gladly eat my hat, but it's extremely unlikely.

That said, I do think Trump's refusal to back away from this whole wiretapping fiasco will cause him trouble.

You realise that even the UK getting mad is far from a good thing right? You don't piss off your friends, even if they aren't going to punch you in the face for it.

Edit - Especially pissing off GCHQ, who just happen to spy on all the people you're not allowed to (for you).

rambis

Banned
Yeah, I'm sure what Spicer said will alter another country's foreign policy because, you know, what he says carries so much weight on the world stage. Come on guys. If the UK decides to do something about it besides getting mad, I'll gladly eat my hat, but it's extremely unlikely.

That said, I do think Trump's refusal to back away from this whole wiretapping fiasco will cause him trouble.
Come again? Britain, in particular their intel agencies cover alot of ground that we can't in Eurasia. They could easily opt to stop sharing intelligence with us which would significantly damage our capability to act abroad.

The fact that they so abruptly and directly refuted this shows just how pissed they are.

Its not about "getting mad". UK government has responsibility towards its British citizens, and Trump saying and sticking by his outrageous bullshit can affect public trust. Its unneeded fire that UK government has to put out while trying to maintain public trust. This also impacts the way the interagencies work. They work very closely along with Australia, Germany and France on whats called "5 eyes" program. This will cause awkwardness between two major allies if their bosses are fueding, or if one of their bosses is a giant ungrown child throwing shit at others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom