• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Madness

How so? It has gotten universally good reviews.

I can get it for $400 cheaper than a 900E, and my buying timeframe is now.

It isn't a mess. It was the flagship below the Z9D and the only issue with it is slightly high input lag for games at around 58ms. Otherwise it had a ridiculously good 4K and HDR image.

The question you have to ask for yourself is, do you need the 3D of the 930D? It does have better brightness for HDR than the 900E and a slightly better WCG. But the the 900E almost halves the input lag to under 34ms. The 900E has Full Array Local Dimming and double the contrast and better black levels, this in turns makes it probably better for HDR even with slightly less brightness because you get a much wider range between black and light. Have you given thought to the X930E which is almost 1500 nits of brightness, full array local dimming and 25ms input lag?

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
It isn't a mess. It was the flagship below the Z9D and the only issue with it is slightly high input lag for games at around 58ms. Otherwise it had a ridiculously good 4K and HDR image.

The question you have to ask for yourself is, do you need the 3D of the 930D? It does have better brightness for HDR than the 900E and a slightly better WCG. But the the 900E almost halves the input lag to under 34ms. The 900E has Full Array Local Dimming and double the contrast and better black levels, this in turns makes it probably better for HDR even with slightly less brightness because you get a much wider range between black and light. Have you given thought to the X930E which is almost 1500 nits of brightness, full array local dimming and 25ms input lag?

The 930e is out of my price range. That is my probably my biggest factor in choosing and despite the FALD I do not think the 900e is likely worth the premium. 3D is not a factor at all.

I have not 100% settled on anything so I appreciate the feedback.

AddiF

I've meant to ask for a while now but always forgot but does anyone know why shadowy halo appears around HUD icons such as hearts in Zelda? I have an E6 2016 model

holygeesus

Banned
Well Looks like I'll be calling LG on monday then. After two sessions of the noise cleaner and then unplugging it for 3 hours, the line at the bottom and the blotch at the top are still there. Funny enough, it is only visible on a red/orange/yellow screen. Any other color, or white or black, it is not there. Could it be the panel going bad?

Yeah that's exactly what it sounds like. Other people with similar problems have had their panels replaced under warranty.

KevinG

Well Looks like I'll be calling LG on monday then. After two sessions of the noise cleaner and then unplugging it for 3 hours, the line at the bottom and the blotch at the top are still there. Funny enough, it is only visible on a red/orange/yellow screen. Any other color, or white or black, it is not there. Could it be the panel going bad?

LG replaced my brand new B6 panel within a week of me calling. Call the VIP number.

The 930e is out of my price range. That is my probably my biggest factor in choosing and despite the FALD I do not think the 900e is likely worth the premium. 3D is not a factor at all.

I have not 100% settled on anything so I appreciate the feedback.

I just bought the 900e and it will arrive in a few days. I'll let you know what I think of it. I bought the 49inch version for basically 1200.

Bhphoto.com has it tax free and with a 60 dollar gift card for 1198 but it's preorder only for the 49incher. The 55 inch version is in stock.

J-Rzez

I played around with the 900E extensively.

It has some bloom/halo due to its lower end FALD compared to say the 940 and Z9, but itll do just fine in a 49" as a computer monitor replacing my 49" 830C.

Madness

I played around with the 900E extensively.

It has some bloom/halo due to its lower end FALD compared to say the 940 and Z9, but itll do just fine in a 49" as a computer monitor replacing my 49" 830C.

It destroys last years 49" X800D though. Have to see how the 49" X800E does but this could be the television to get at 49" this year.

How so? It has gotten universally good reviews.

I can get it for $400 cheaper than a 900E, and my buying timeframe is now.

Well maybe it's not objectively a bad TV and I would still take it over a Vizio or most Samsungs. What makes it a mess for me is that it has terrible uniformitiy including darker corners and dimmer vertical lines that are about 1/8th inch thick on both edges on the panel. I've seen this on every single one of them and I've seen about 10 different ones in person. That's unnaceptable to me as someone who has only had emissive displays like CRT and plasma and for the price they're asking. Input lag is laughably bad considering Sony can and has done much better in this regard. Plus hearing all sorts of strange issues from owners threads of this TV like purple ghosting, external power supply issues, bad clouding, random panel deaths, bad 3D that has crosstalk, bent panels, etc. I don't have personal experience with all of that but reading about all of that was enough to kill the display for serious consideration. Too many flaws for a supposed one time "flagship". The Z9D is a real flagship and an incredible TV.

However, all of that might not bother you so be sure to check it out in person if you can.

wege12

I just loaded up Call of Duty Modern Warfare Remastered on my B6 OLED and I couldn't believe how much better native 60 fps content looks and improves the motion on these sets. Quite a difference!

Also, if anyone is looking for a video to show off their OLEDs, look up the LG Chess demo. Absolutely stunning!

molnizzle

Haven't checked in on this thread in a while. Are 2017 OLED's out in the wild yet? Do we have definitive input lag ratings?

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
I just bought the 900e and it will arrive in a few days. I'll let you know what I think of it. I bought the 49inch version for basically 1200.

Bhphoto.com has it tax free and with a 60 dollar gift card for 1198 but it's preorder only for the 49incher. The 55 inch version is in stock.

Thanks. BB now has the 55" model down to $1499 on sale, so it is a much more compelling option now.

tokkun

I've meant to ask for a while now but always forgot but does anyone know why shadowy halo appears around HUD icons such as hearts in Zelda? I have an E6 2016 model

It seems plausible that the pixel orbiter could cause a halo around high contrast HUD elements in a game after you have been playing a long time.

The orbiter shifts pixel positions slightly over time to help avoid burn-in. The halo could be image retention in an area that the bright pixels were previously located in but aren't anymore.

Got myself the 65" LG B6 yesterday, loving everything about the set so far. However, damn these draconian restrictions in China for TV apps , the set comes with a very basic set of useless ( for me ) local entertainment apps .

I need spotify and youtube on this tv, does anyone have any insight on flashing this tv with the firmware from another region?

tokkun

It seems most of Sony TVs this year have native support for HDR10 and firmware update support for Dolby Vision and HLG (I don't know what is HLG): https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2017/02/09/sonys-2017-tv-line-up-with-prices/#4c92ae5893ab

Do new Samsung TVs or other companies have support for Dolby Vision and HLG this year?

It looks like all TVs this year aren't affordable price wise and no small size too.

Hybrid Log Gamma is yet another HDR format standard, this time targeted at over-the-air broadcast television. Waste of time, IMO. Reminds me that I should get around to throwing away my TV antenna.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
It seems most of Sony TVs this year have native support for HDR10 and firmware update support for Dolby Vision and HLG (I don't know what is HLG): https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2017/02/09/sonys-2017-tv-line-up-with-prices/#4c92ae5893ab

Do new Samsung TVs or other companies have support for Dolby Vision and HLG this year?

It looks like all TVs this year aren't affordable price wise and no small size too.

Sony has only announced Dolby Vision support for the 930E and up, FYI. All 2017 models will get HLG though.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It destroys last years 49" X800D though. Have to see how the 49" X800E does but this could be the television to get at 49" this year.

I think it'll be what I get since I'm looking at the 49-55 range

I do want to see if some of the 2017 sets will get support for dynamic metadata. I know it's an HDMI 2.1 feature but I'm hoping we can get it for most HDR10 sets this year through a firmware update. Seems like one of the features that would be easiest to add.

The newer model Highsense 65H8C is on sale again at best buy for $799. I'd REALLY like to see some reviews on thing.

Anyone pick one up?

Wiped89

Gaf, am I crazy? I can't get into this LG C6. After a week with it, I'm finding the TV hard to love.

In particular, the upscaling is really bad. No matter the settings there is a softness to the picture and quite a lot of fuzz. I'm also unimpressed by the detail loss, side by side comparisons with my Samsung show me how much detail I'm losing in dark and detailed areas, like hair. Blowing the brightness higher just washes out the whole picture.

Even the colours look off, like it's both too yellow and too blue both at once.

The picture is so soft and grainy.

I feel like the screen tech itself is great, but ruined by LG's lousy picture processing.

The passive 3D is also really flat and dull. Worse than my old active 3dtv.

I looked at Currys again and I can get a 65" KS8000 for only £50 more, which is a full 10" bigger. I'm seriously considering calling up and swapping it. My 2014 Samsung UE55HU8500 is brighter and sharper, it's just the black/Grey that lets it down.

Hell, even my 7 year old 40" Samsung 1080p isn't embarrassed by this oled. It's clearly worse but not embarrassed.

Has anyone got any suggestions?

Current settings: Brightness 40, Sharpness 25, oled 100, colour 75, contrast 100, Gamma High2; colour temp 0 tint 0. I like a bright punchy picture. The reason I have a Samsung phone instead of an iPhone is for the lovely bright crisp Amoled screen.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Gaf, am I crazy? I can't get into this LG C6. After a week with it, I'm finding the TV hard to love.

In particular, the upscaling is really bad. No matter the settings there is a softness to the picture and quite a lot of fuzz. I'm also unimpressed by the detail loss, side by side comparisons with my Samsung show me how much detail I'm losing in dark and detailed areas, like hair. Blowing the brightness higher just washes out the whole picture.

I feel like the screen tech itself is great, but ruined by LG's lousy picture processing.

I looked at Currys again and I can get a 65" KS8000 for only £50 more, which is a full 10" bigger. I'm seriously considering calling up and swapping it. My 2014 Samsung UE55HU8500 is brighter and sharper, it's just the black/Grey that lets it down.

Hell, even my 7 year old 40" Samsung 1080p isn't embarrassed by this oled. It's clearly worse but not embarrassed.

Current settings: Brightness 40, Sharpness 25, oled 100, colour 75, contrast 100, Gamma High2; colour temp 0 tint 0. I like a bright punchy picture. The reason I have a Samsung phone instead of an iPhone is for the lovely bright crisp Amoled screen.

uh what are you upscaling? I think the 1080p upscale is ok on them, but less than that is not so good. I let my other devices handle scaling. I find having the Xbox S, PS4 Pro, and my Onkyo doing a 4k scale on my TiVo has solved most issues.

near black is TOUGH on the LG 2016 OLEDs. That's unavoidable. You can fine tune but it's one weak area.

The 3D sucks? That I totally disagree with, I think they are the best 3D TVs I've seen. But you know your active well, I wonder if it's just you being so used to that

Lima

I mean honestly you are complaining about losing detail in dark areas etc.

Yeah like no shit with brightness at 40 you are crushing shadow detail like there is no tomorrow. It needs anywhere from 50-53 depending on your source.

Regarding 3D. Like nah fam. Active 3D is shit. Always was and always will be. Like there is a huge amount of people that hated home 3D because of the active shutter glasses. They are clunky, require batteries and dim the picture while also introducing flicker.
Passive 3D was shit because of the loss in resolution. This is not an issue on 4K OLEDs as they still resolve the full 1080 3D picture. Light glasses that don't dim the picture, no batteries needed, no flicker and zero crosstalk if sitting dead on.

Like if home 3D started with a quality like this it wouldn't be dead today.

Wiped89

I mean honestly you are complaining about losing detail in dark areas etc.

Yeah like no shit with brightness at 40 you are crushing shadow detail like there is no tomorrow. It needs anywhere from 50-53 depending on your source.

QUOTE=jstevenson;232814466] snip [/QUOTE]

From 50-53? But I'm already at 40, which Is lower.

I tried going lower than 40 but side by side comparing to my old TV, I was losing *tons* of detail. Even at a similar brightness this tv handles near black and things like hair poorly and I can see how much detail I've lost in side by side tests.

As for the 3D, I admit it's smoother. Active glasses never bothered me, I thought It had a really great depth/crispness to it despite the smaller sweet spot. I think it might be that I'm unimpressed with the general picture processing of the image anyway.

As for the upscaling, I'm talking 1080p content from decent sources (Netflix, Humax PVR, Wii U). Netflix especially looks rough.

Somehow, despite OLED's reputation for colour, the picture either looks too washed out or too dark, I can't find a happy setting.

Even on PS4 games like Horizon, the picture looks overly sharp but not as rich in colour or brightness.

Lima

A scale going from 0-100.

like bro are you trolling or what? 40 is too low, way too low. You are crushing all black detail.

50 is the default and even that is too low for most sources.

Wiped89

A scale going from 0-100.

like bro are you trolling or what? 40 is too low, way too low. You are crushing all black detail.

Right, okay, thank you. I'll set it to 55 and see how I get on. Most people in my earlier posts were telling me I should put the brightness way low and that I'd ruin the blacks with higher. Thanks :)

Lima

Right, okay, thank you. I'll set it to 55 and see how I get on. Most people in my earlier posts were telling me I should put the brightness way low and that I'd ruin the blacks with higher. Thanks :)

With 55 you lose perfect blacks.

Like I said 50 is default. You need 50-53 depending on the source. This is something you need to find out with a calibration disc. Download AVS 709 and use the black level test on each of your sources.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
yeah 40 is way too low. I think your calibration as a whole may be rough.

Does the TV's internal Netflix app look bad to you? Cause I think Netflix not the TV's app looks just fine.

Wiped89

Wow, not much wiggle room? Okay I'll go with 53.

Maybe it is getting my eyes to a new TV. I was just expecting to be blown away, but I think coming from one of the best LED TVs of the last few years (Samsung UE55HU8500 4K) it may be that this tv is different more than it is better?

Netflix looks better through Xbox or PS4, yes, but the easiest way to side by side with my old TV was through built in Netflix.

I'm watching District 9 on Bluray now as I tweak. It's certainly not bad by any means. I just feel like it looks smoother and less defined than my old tv.

Okay, I took this photo the other day. Not a very good image to compare, but see how much brighter and crisper the right tv is
NRO8J

Are there any calibration tools that can be used on a PC and a monitor? I was thinking of picking up a Spyder for a my monitor, but it seems kind of a waste if I'll only use a few times ever.

Lima

Wow, not much wiggle room? Okay I'll go with 53.

Maybe it is getting my eyes to a new TV. I was just expecting to be blown away, but I think coming from one of the best LED TVs of the last few years (Samsung UE55HU8500 4K) it may be that this tv is different more than it is better?

Netflix looks better through Xbox or PS4, yes, but the easiest way to side by side with my old TV was through built in Netflix.

I'm watching District 9 on Bluray now as I tweak. It's certainly not bad by any means. I just feel like it looks smoother and less defined than my old tv.

Yes which is exactly why LG offers 0.5 steps with the brightness control on the 2017 models.

Do you have stuff like noise reduction, mpeg reduction etc. on? Turn all of it off.

Wiped89

Right, I'll turn it off. I turned on the mpeg stuff because the fuzz on Netflix was severe without it.

This pic should be working now?

Not the best comparison but hopefully you can see how much more detail/brightness/clarity there is in the right TV (the old, non OLED one). And that's with brightness at 50.

Lima

If that's with brightness 50 then your gamma is fucked up real bad. What's that at? Honestly just go through every single setting and write them down.

LilJoka

Right, I'll turn it off. I turned on the mpeg stuff because the fuzz on Netflix was severe without it.

Not the best comparison but hopefully you can see how much more detail/brightness/clarity there is in the right TV (the old, non OLED one). And that's with brightness at 50.

Some starting settings
ISF Dark
OLED light 50
Contrast 80
Brightness 50
Sharpness 0/0

All enhancements off
For Netflix/cable TV you'll want Black Level Low.
Gamma 2.2

That's really interesting because my B6 OLED literally stomps my Samsungs and Sonys TV's in practically all areas. Everyone who even saw it commented that it looks so much better than their TV's and some of them are fairly high end 4K TV's. Then again, I have B6 and I am not sure if the C6 is much different in things like upscaling, color and brightness. First off, it could be your calibrations. I think 40 is too low and that could be crushing your blacks, details and making your picture looks less appealing. Washed out? Hmmm....my B6 actually makes my Sony, Toshiba, Samsung KS8000 and KU7000 look washed out and outdated in comparison. I say play around with your calibrations some more or try some different types of pictures settings. An older 1080P TV should not look on par with your OLED C6. Maybe you need to exchange it for another unit? Do you have HDMI Ultra Deep Color on by any chance? It should helps with certain sources.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
You guys already know what kind of settings and picture he wanted from his earlier posts.
There's no way trying to give some closer to reference settings is going to help.

Aren't you still in Vivid mode?

Wiped89

snippage.

Yes my UHD deep colour is on.

This is what I expected too, to be blown away. There's just something... sludgey and dull about the image I'm getting. Maybe I'm just used to an over-bright LED picture..

This from Pan's Labyrinth bluray right now. I dunno... just looks dull to me?

To the above poster, no I'm in ISF bright room, but it hardly makes any difference now as I've tweaked it a fair bit

Kyoufu

That TV on the left needs to be exorcised by a professional calibrator.

Kyoufu

You mean the brand new OLED I just bought to replace the one on the right? :'(.

Yeah, its settings are all fucked up.

Which picture mode are you using? ISF Bright/Dark should be the most accurate out of the box.

edit: I see you're using ISF Bright? Hmm, you should turn up the Brightness setting because it's way too dark. You're crushing all kinds of details.

Lima

Yeah, its settings are all fucked up.

Which picture mode are you using? ISF Bright/Dark should be the most accurate out of the box.

He doesn't want accurate. His color is at 70 lol.

Still there is something wrong with levels, gamma and brightness. Probably a combination since there is no way that much black crush like in the HIMYM picture is normal.

Okada

I have a C6 and it's the best TV I've owned by a huge distance.

There's definitely issues with your settings. Brightness shouldn't be below 50,Sharpness 25 is also way too much.

Missed the colour setting. 75?!? You should be looking at 50 on normal gamut. In game mode I actual drop mine to 47 as it locks it to wide gamut.

Top Bottom