• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Well, yeah, you have a European/german set, so you'll have to access the service menu.
Either by using a service remote, something like a Harmony remote or an Android app for phones with IR blaster (nothing for iOS).
I just bought a cheap replacement service remote on amazon.

holygeesus

Banned
Well, yeah, you have a European/german set, so you'll have to access the service menu.
Either by using a service remote, something like a Harmony remote or an Android app for phones with IR blaster (nothing for iOS).
I just bought a cheap replacement service remote on amazon.

You can also buy those cheap One For All (UK only company?) remotes if you wish to get in there. Might be cheaper than a service remote.

I bought one to disable the anti-dimming (ABSL?) 'feature' of the B6, which I sometimes found kicking in when it shouldn't during dark scenes in movies.

By all accounts, and reviews thus far, the Philips is providing the best motion of all the new OLEDs, which is pretty mind blowing, especially when you consider what Sony is wanting for the A1 money-wise. Shame it is useless for gaming.

LMAO is this the new LG OLED talking point? Sony is "useless for gaming?" We're talking about the same Sony that makes PlayStation? Are we even pretending this isn't an LG Defense Force thread anymore at this point? Come on.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
LMAO is this the new LG OLED talking point? Sony is "useless for gaming?" We're talking about the same Sony that makes PlayStation? Are we even pretending this isn't an LG Defense Force thread anymore at this point? Come on.

He said the Philips was useless for gaming given it's lag which is a shame due to the great motion handling.

Theonik

He said the Philips was useless for gaming given it's lag which is a shame due to the great motion handling.
Of course this is treating two factors that are probably related as unrelated. (i.e. the superior motion handling has the price of increased latency, interpolation inevitably has to.)

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
It would be easy to confuse the implication of that post.

The television wars, like the console wars, are never ending. It's really noticeable on places like AVSforum. I've seen a lot of people that have never had a high end TV before that are now on a OLED as their first jump in.

Of course this is treating two factors that are probably related as unrelated. (i.e. the superior motion handling has the price of increased latency, interpolation inevitably has to.)

Superior motion handling can be done without any real increase in latency. That's how the 120/144 hz gaming monitors with Lightboost work, they have input lag in the 16 ms range but they do it with insane refresh rates and high speed backlight blinking/scanning.

On a TV where the refresh rate is limited to 60 hz, your tools for motion handling are extremely limited outside of native pixel brightness degradation on refresh which is why CRT and plasma have such good native motion resolution.

The Sony TVs which had Impulse mode actually did blink the backlight and offered CRT-like motion resolution, but since they could only blink at 60 hz the result was the same headache-inducing flicker that an old-school CRT monitor refreshing at 60 hz had. I had a 1080p W850A for awhile there, the motion resolution was amazing but I couldn't play a game longer than 30 minutes or so with it before I had to stop because it made my head hurt. I used to get CRT headaches too back in the day, and a minimum 85 hz refresh was needed before I could tolerate looking at a CRT monitor for long periods of time.

With the ability of instant pixel refresh that OLED has, it would theoretically be possible to make an OLED panel which blinked the pixels twice per refresh using 2-frame Black Frame Insertion, giving an effective refresh rate of 120 hz per single 60 hz refresh. However this would lower effective brightness by 75%, and OLED panels simply aren't bright enough natively. Hell, it's not even clear that single-frame BFI is really feasible right now, as early reports of the feature on the A1E suggest that it's really dim when you use it because even a 50% brightness cut is quite prohibitive at this point. We need natively brighter OLED panels, then we can have lots of BFI and not need to rely on interpolation, and then life will be amazing.

TheBoss1

Come on now. There is a difference between correcting misinformation spread by non-owners (which I try and do every time I see it) and downplaying faults (which I don't). I think I have generally been pretty non-partisan when it comes to my comments here, and generally my own thoughts on the shortcomings of my set, tally with established consensus.

The only negative I have in regard the Sony, is the price it is retailing for here, as I have literally no first-hand experience with it, hence relying on reviews, foreign or otherwise, seems the best way to go. In regard my flippant final comment, it's not just you - on other forums around the net, the more 'radical' of Sony fans, seem to discount any reviews with anything negative to say. It was the same with the ZD9 and it seems to be a case of history repeating itself.

I have no allegiance to any company. It's a piece of electronics at the end of the day. If a better one comes along that improves on the areas where I have fault (largely in above black handling rather than motion admittedly) I will consider upgrading, be it a Sony or any other set.
I wasn't discounting anything regarding the Sony A1E. I was just saying that the word "useless" is pretty harsh when I thought you were referring to the A1E. It's pretty easy to assume that you were referring to that set and not the Philips based on your vague wording and also your post history in here regarding any Sony TVs, especially the OLED.

I immediately had the same reaction but he clarified and said he was referring to the Philips OLED.

Yawnny

I bought one to disable the anti-dimming (ABSL?) 'feature' of the B6, which I sometimes found kicking in when it shouldn't during dark scenes in movies.

Isn't ABSL just for the screen going dim when there's no activity for a certain amount of time? As opposed to ABL which adjusts brightness on the fly.

holygeesus

Banned
It would be easy to confuse the implication of that post.

The television wars, like the console wars, are never ending. It's really noticeable on places like AVSforum. I've seen a lot of people that have never had a high end TV before that are now on a OLED as their first jump in.

If you are referring to me, my last two TVs were Kuros, and before that I had a high-end Optoma projector....before that.......a Sony Wega!

Look, it was clear I was referring to the Philips in that post. Hell, the only time I have referred to the Sony A1 before, is to query the extortionate price. That is hardly 'Sony bashing'. It is a valid point to discuss I think.

I am going to go out and say it though - Sony does attract it's fair share of devoted fans. As I mentioned before, I have seen disbelief on other forums that a site dare to review the A1 as anything less than perfect, with some going as far as to say that the review must be 'wrong' or 'lost in translation' despite said critics never having seen the A1 in action. Can you honestly not see how crazy that sounds?

And for the record, I currently own a Sony LCD.....and a PS4......and a PS4 Pro.......and a Vita.

Isn't ABSL just for the screen going dim when there's no activity for a certain amount of time? As opposed to ABL which adjusts brightness on the fly.

Yep that's exactly it. I found mine sometimes lowered when it shouldn't though i.e. during extended dark periods in films. I didn't see a down side to turning it off.

Wiped89

Okay, so I have chopped and changed and rung Currys multiple times to change it, but I've finally settled on the Samsung KS8000 65" (US model KS9000).

I've come and gone on this so many times, but ultimately my decision was made on brightness and sharpness with upscaling, which is *hardly* why anyone would buy such a high end TV, of course. But much of my day to day viewing is set-top box and Netflix, and non-4K games, so it is important.

The below is a very low-tech comparison of my old Samsung and this new OLED. The left side of the image is my old TV, the right side is the LG. For me, the LG looks too soft and flat despite trying all sorts of recommended picture settings (and some less recommended ones, just in case). Of course, it performs much better with native 4K content, but that still makes up only maybe 25% of my usage.

Now, there is a lot to like about this LG. I've watched some more movies on it, and things like Fight Club and Iron Man which I was testing on it last night looked sumptuous. I also looked at the punch of colours on content and was very impressed. But I just can't get on with 1. The picture processing - I'm sorry, I don't think it's as good, and I keep noticing artifacts, blocks of grey etc on the picture, even despite the fact the screen tech itself is clearly better and 2. the menu systems and remote which drive me crazy.

So I'm going for bigger, which seems a safe choice, and by all accounts the colour/contrast/blacks on the Samsung are still very good.

Trojita

If you are referring to me, my last two TVs were Kuros, and before that I had a high-end Optoma projector....before that.......a Sony Wega!

Look, it was clear I was referring to the Philips in that post. Hell, the only time I have referred to the Sony A1 before, is to query the extortionate price. That is hardly 'Sony bashing'. It is a valid point to discuss I think.

I am going to go out and say it though - Sony does attract it's fair share of devoted fans. As I mentioned before, I have seen disbelief on other forums that a site dare to review the A1 as anything less than perfect, with some going as far as to say that the review must be 'wrong' or 'lost in translation' despite said critics never having seen the A1 in action. Can you honestly not see how crazy that sounds?

And for the record, I currently own a Sony LCD.....and a PS4......and a PS4 Pro.......and a Vita.

Yep that's exactly it. I found mine sometimes lowered when it shouldn't though i.e. during extended dark periods in films. I didn't see a down side to turning it off.

lol I wasn't even thinking about you when I said that. You're good.

I wanted to comment on what Unknown was talking about, even if the post was a misunderstanding, since while looking up tv information yesterday I did notice a lot of bickering between tv brand fans yesterday.

TheBoss1

It was quite clear to me that he was referring to the Phillips.

It was quite unclear to me that he was referring to the Philips.

He talked about two different sets in his previous sentence then followed up with "it". It's not that hard to see where the confusion stems from. Not to mention he also quoted a post that purely mentioned the A1E.

Any how, we're beating a dead horse. Just don't try to call out people and live in a glass house.

vpance

Jury's still out on the A1E and LGs this year, versus and value wise.

2018 will probably be a better time to jump in I think, with their true next gen panel tech. Still too much premium on 65" OLED sets.

Button

Banned
Does the new Samsung Q7 handle HDR better than the KS7000/8000 series, i.e. you don't have to manually adjust shit when playing HDR games?

Weevilone

It was quite unclear to me that he was referring to the Philips.

He talked about two different sets in his previous sentence then followed up with "it". It's not that hard to see where the confusion stems from. Not to mention he also quoted a post that purely mentioned the A1E.

Any how, we're beating a dead horse. Just don't try to call out people and live in a glass house.

I was just adding my two cents, as it seemed clear to me. Sorry you don't like that. I wasn't attacking anyone. Not sure why people saying that it was unclear is ok but the opposite is not.

I have no dog in the fight, no Sony or Phillips here, no agenda.

Edit: Actually the kids' TV is a 4k Sony I guess.

Would have gone for the LG Oled Wallpaper TV if it didn't have that awful soundbar solution. You basically need another soundbar or audio system if you want good surround sound.

So it's probably one of their other 2017 models for me.

asdad123

So it looks like my LG E6 might have a problem. I've had it since august, and just recently these dark blotches (one up top, and a line going across the bottom) popped up. It's difficult to see in photos, but very easy to see in person. I'm running the "noise cleaner" option right now. Otherwise, I guess I'll give LG a call. It only shows up on red/orange/yellow screens.

Below is a photo of the "line"

Small update on my panel. According to the LG tech that came out today, this is burn in on the panel. They said normally they don't cover it, but then once I started pushing that it only shows up on red/orange screens, they said they'll replace the panel.

So a new panel is being ordered and will be installed next week.

Take it for what you will, guess OLEDs get burn in pretty easy in my experience. And this is from someone who has a Samsung plasma that's 6 years old and has no burn in on it what so ever.

Weevilone

Small update on my panel. According to the LG tech that came out today, this is burn in on the panel. They said normally they don't cover it, but then once I started pushing that it only shows up on red/orange screens, they said they'll replace the panel.

Take it for what you will, guess OLEDs get burn in pretty easy in my experience. And this is from someone who has a Samsung plasma that's 6 years old and has no burn in on it what so ever.

If it is burn-in then it should be obvious what it is from. I wouldn't be so quick to accept the tech's diagnosis but if they are taking care of it then all is well I suppose.

Yawnny

If it is burn-in then it should be obvious what it is from. I wouldn't be so quick to accept the tech's diagnosis but if they are taking care of it then all is well I suppose.

I was thinking the same thing. OP do you even recall what could've caused that stripe? If not I doubt it's burn in. Sounds like some odd places for burn in IE: not a corner, or bars from widescreen movie, etc..

That's my thinking anywhay

Good for you that LG will replace your E6 panel, i hope the new one comes and stays in good condition. I saw this E6 a few days ago, i had to take a picture of it. This screen had the worst image retention, banding and stains that i have ever seen with my own eyes on an self-emitting display. Belief me when i say it looks even worse in person. The perfect TV doesn't excist, but this unacceptable. I really want to buy the LG C7 OLED but flaws like this makes me think twice, i have a VT60 plasma so i'm done with babysitting a TV.

m0z7MAo.jpg

asdad123

I was thinking the same thing. OP do you even recall what could've caused that stripe? If not I doubt it's burn in. Sounds like some odd places for burn in IE: not a corner, or bars from widescreen movie, etc..

That's my thinking anywhay

No idea what could have caused it. I do play PS4 on it, but never for more than 3 hours at at time.

Good for you that LG will replace your E6 panel, i hope the new one comes and stays in good condition. I saw this E6 a few days ago, i had to take a picture of it. This screen had the worst image retention, banding and stains that i have ever seen with my own eyes on an self-emitting display. Belief me when i say it looks even worse in person. The perfect TV doesn't excist, but this unacceptable. I really want to buy the LG C7 OLED but flaws like this makes me think twice, i have a VT60 plasma so i'm done with babysitting a TV.

m0z7MAo.jpg

Use the correct term for it. That's "burn-in".

The good news is you'll always know it's an "LG OLED TV" because it says so on the screen forever amirite

Use the correct term for it. That's "burn-in".

The good news is you'll always know it's an "LG OLED TV" because it says so on the screen forever amirite

My VT60 can suffer from image retention but it will eventually fade away, but that takes time, too much time if you ask me.

Burn in is permanent. Image retention isn't.

I know this has been covered, but I tried searching and couldn't find anything.

Just bought a B6, and it arrives Monday.

Is there a good rundown of what to turn on/off and at least a starting point for picture settings?

Please don't throw anything at me.

My VT60 suffers from image retention but it eventually fade away, but that takes time, too much time if you ask me.

Burn in is permanent. Image retention isn't.

What are the odds that you took a random picture of that TV exactly when some temporary image retention was on the screen which will be gone tomorrow when you're not there?

Now compare that to the odds that the words "LG OLED TV" are permanent and that's why you were able to see it on the one day he was at that store instead of just having insanely bad luck and seeing it on the one day it had image retention?

I mean if you were truly bored you could return to the store for a month and take a picture of the TV every day to see if that goes away. I bet it won't though.

What are the odds that you took a random picture of that TV exactly when some temporary image retention was on the screen which will be gone tomorrow when you're not there?

Now compare that to the odds that the words "LG OLED TV" are permanent and that's why you were able to see it on the one day he was at that store instead of just having insanely bad luck and seeing it on the one day it had image retention?

I mean if you were truly bored you could return to the store for a month and take a picture of the TV every day to see if that goes away. I bet it won't though.

Yeah, that LG logo must be there for a long time i think. I had a hands-on with that E6 for 30 minutes or so, i've used the browser as i wanted to see the ABL on a full white screen... then i noticed these awful problems. But maybe that logo can go away with LG's built-in "screen cleaner". I didn't have enough time to check that out.

Either way, it sucks big time.

Madness

Permanent burn in is very rare for OLED's to non-existent. You can get very heavy image retention, but that is to be expected with the technology. Don't use it nonstop as a PC monitor and if playing HuD heavy games, take a break. Run those image retention removal programs for a bit etc. The image retention above though, it may go away but I think it will be there long enough we may as well call it burn in. But again these are on 18 hours a day, 7 days a week nonstop for a year with almost the same images or videos playing.

Also, don't turn this thread into a fanboy thing. Buy the set that gives you the best image, price, gaming capabilities. I have owned Hitachi, Samsung, Sharp, Toshiba, Samsung, Panasonic, Sony, Samsung for my last several television purchases. 5 years from now it may be a Hisense or TCL set as China dominates, it may be something else etc.

Kyoufu

For the 900th time, TVs in stores that run looping demos all day long and don't run compensation cycles are completely different to real world usage. It's really not that hard to understand.

J-Rzez

We really pointing at store displays for evidence of OLED burn in?
lol

You mean OLEDs playing the same short clips that have drastic color examples in them set to torch mode and played 24/7 isn't an indication of how people use them in the real world?

Trojita

How does anime look on the LG OLED's? I mainly play games, watch tv, movies, and anime.

Still looking over everything between the LG OLED's (2016 or 2017) and the Sony LCD's (Top of the line 2017 models and the Z9D if I could afford it.)

Hearing reports that the previous assumption that the 2017 LG OLED's wouldn't have a noticeable bump were wrong and that the bump in specs is really noticeable. Then there are people saying to wait for the 2018 models which will be based on newer technology.

J-Rzez

If you "wait for next year, new features" then you'll never buy a thing. If you need/want something, and you really like it, buy. Who knows if youll be around for next year anyways.

I know this has been covered, but I tried searching and couldn't find anything.

Just bought a B6, and it arrives Monday.

Is there a good rundown of what to turn on/off and at least a starting point for picture settings?

Please don't throw anything at me.

First, grab a flash drive and get the latest firmware. The TV itself didn't find the latest firmware when searching by itself.

Second, and extremely common, is that you'll need to enable UHD on a per-HDMI input basis in the settings menus.

Third, the TV can change between a lot of various picture mode settings based on the signal being fed. SDR is going to have its own settings. HDR is going to have another. Dolby Vision another. So when you calibrate SDR, and then go to HDR, it's going to look different. Keep that in mind, especially for things like TruMotion.

For calibration settings, this is a good starting point: http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/b6/settings

holygeesus

Banned
For the 900th time, TVs in stores that run looping demos all day long and don't run compensation cycles are completely different to real world usage. It's really not that hard to understand.

It seems to come up every single page. Always brought up by non-owners usually....except for this time it seems - I'm not sure what asdad's engineer was smoking but that ain't burn-in.

99Luffy

Banned

m0z7MAo.jpg
Terrible. I thought that garbage died with plasmas.

Caayn

It does seem to be a recurring theme in this thread.

TheBoss1

I was just adding my two cents, as it seemed clear to me. Sorry you don't like that. I wasn't attacking anyone. Not sure why people saying that it was unclear is ok but the opposite is not.

I have no dog in the fight, no Sony or Phillips here, no agenda.

Edit: Actually the kids' TV is a 4k Sony I guess.

I'm not accusing you of attacking anyone or disliking anything you said. You said it is clear to you and I said the opposite. That's all.

Theonik

There is of course many ways to increase perceived motion on a display with different trade-offs.

One should simply not assume that better processing including motion handling has no cost. If interpolation is used this will always have a price associated with it. Similarly that is also why many TVs disable CMS features when being set in game mode and many kinds of processing features are enabled to achieve the quicker response. Were this not the case there would be no reason to offer game mode in the first place. It would be the default display configuration.

With the Phillips display in particular it is still unclear whether its clear mode uses interpolation or what technique it uses to achieve its superior motion handling. It does not have the artefacts that you would normally associate with scanning or BFI. Conclusions that the processing is not a factor should be avoided.

Top Bottom