• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

shockdude

Looking for a TV for gaming, 1080p 32 to 40 inches, up to $250. I don't regularly pay attention to TV tech I'm kind of overwhelmed with all the options (last time I bought a TV, plasma was still the hotness.) Any suggestions? Thanks!
Raise your budget a little bit and the Vizio D-series 1080p should fit. Good picture for the price, and good-enough input lag (26.5ms on the 50-inch set according to Rtings). Might be hard to find these days.
Be wary that it's absolutely a cheap TV; weird issues are guaranteed, so check user reviews. On my D50-D1, sound quality is awful, and audio is out-of-sync (delayed) with the image by ~60ms on all HDMI inputs. Also picture settings do not apply to the Smart TV apps, but the TV's Wifi sucks so w/e.

Guys. Planet Earth II uhd is amazing. Was a little concerned since I've a b6 and an Xbox one S (worried about black crush), but it looks great after some tweaking.

ORqc.jpg

Bsigg12

Fuuuck I just saw some info for the Sony A1E OLED. Good Lord.

I might have to consider it depending on my bonus in the second quarter.

Awesome -- gonna give it a shot once I get my PE2 in the mail today. Are these settings specific to HDR?

Yeah. I'm by no means an expert or anything, but it looks great to me.

Guys. Planet Earth II uhd is amazing. Was a little concerned since I've a b6 and an Xbox one S (worried about black crush), but it looks great after some tweaking.

ORqc.jpg

I second this. Literally been watching it pretty much the entire time since I got off work.

TheMan

Raise your budget a little bit and the Vizio D-series 1080p should fit. Good picture for the price, and good-enough input lag (26.5ms on the 50-inch set according to Rtings). Might be hard to find these days.
Be wary that it's absolutely a cheap TV; weird issues are guaranteed, so check user reviews. On my D50-D1, sound quality is awful, and audio is out-of-sync (delayed) with the image by ~60ms on all HDMI inputs. Also picture settings do not apply to the Smart TV apps, but the TV's Wifi sucks so w/e.

funny you should mention the d-series.

I went out and bought a vizio d43n-e1 a few hours ago. I have a question you could maybe answer.
Skx9XoX.jpg

do you see that faint black line near the edge of the screen? is that normal? you mentioned other weird quirks that pop up with cheap sets- is this one of those things I should just get over or is it worth taking it back if another set is likely to have some other issue?

TBH I expected early HDMI 2.1 sets to be released this year with dynamaic metadata for HDR. The true advancements would be for next year then.

wege12

I tried sending one with my email, but it's not showing up in my sent messages. Let me know if you get it though. TV Superstores has it for just $30 more if you want to go ahead and screen grab that.

I did not receive your PM. I did screenshot Superstores but if possible, I'd still like yours. I know $30 isn't a lot, but it's still $30 saved.

wege12

TBH I expected early HDMI 2.1 sets to be released this year with dynamaic metadata for HDR. The true advancements would be for next year then.

I almost waited for OLEDs with HDMI 2.1 but just decided to pick up a heavily discounted B6 and enjoy it now instead of waiting. Then when 2.1 sets are released with improved motion, I'll sell my b6 and upgrade. I absolutely love my B6 though and don't regret it at all.

On the market for a 4K TV. Is there anything under $600 worth buying? I dont really need it particularly big, somewhere between 42-50" would be ideal, though I dont know if I'll even notice any 4K at that size. Apartment is kind of small but I really want to see Planet Earth II in 4K :(

shockdude

I went out and bought a vizio d43n-e1 a few hours ago. I have a question you could maybe answer.

do you see that faint black line near the edge of the screen? is that normal? you mentioned other weird quirks that pop up with cheap sets- is this one of those things I should just get over or is it worth taking it back if another set is likely to have some other issue?
Looks like a backlight uniformity issue to me. Maybe someone else can confirm. Not sure if it's worth playing the panel lottery for such a cheap TV.
You might be able to mitigate the issue by playing with the settings. Disable the Active LED Zones (the D-series implementation of it is bad). The Rtings Calibration Settings should be useful as well (except for the color tuner settings).

Edit: Nvm, the line is much more obvious when viewed on a phone. It's probably a defect.

holygeesus

Banned
Just a few impressions like this one from Trusted Reviews

http://www.trustedreviews.com/sony-a1-oled-review

The one from CNET was glowing as well.

https://www.cnet.com/products/sony-xbr55a1e/preview/

The crazy screen is the speaker thing is kinda mind boggling.

By all accounts, and reviews thus far, the Philips is providing the best motion of all the new OLEDs, which is pretty mind blowing, especially when you consider what Sony is wanting for the A1 money-wise. Shame it is useless for gaming.

wege12

Yeah, if Game Mode VRR is in the 2018 sets, that's going to be where the real revolution starts. The equivalent of G-Sync at 65 inches? My body is ready.

Game Mode VRR along with much improved or perfect motion resolution, sub 16ms input lag input, over 1000 nits sustained brightness, price tag of $1,500 or less on an OLED would be as close to perfect as you can get for me. At least for now haha

But I have this gut instinct that my "perfect OLED" won't be released in 2018. Which is why I jumped on the clearance 2016 B6.

HooYaH

Game Mode VRR along with much improved or perfect motion resolution, sub 16ms input lag input, over 1000 nits sustained brightness, price tag of $1,500 or less on an OLED would be as close to perfect as you can get for me. At least for now haha

But I have this gut instinct that my "perfect OLED" won't be released in 2018. Which is why I jumped on the clearance 2016 B6.

I don't see that spec with that price till 2020.

tokkun

I will start worrying about HDMI 2.1 on my TV when I actually have some HDMI 2.1 sources.

None of my game consoles have it. Consoles can go years between refreshes, and often take a while to adopt new video standards.

My PC graphics card doesn't have it. And who knows whether Nvidia will even support the refresh-rate feature any time in the near future, given that they opt not to support the one in DisplayPort to protect their Gsync business. It may take a long time until there are enough people using cards with HDMI 2.1 TVs before they feel like they have to support it.

My AVR doesn't have it. Nor would I relish dropping $1K on a new one just to get HDMI 2.1 support with comparable audio processing features.

I'm excited about the potential for HDMI 2.1 in about 5 years time, when there will be an ecosystem of devices that support it. I think about 4K, and how it would have been a waste to hold out for the first 4K TV because the amount of 4K content is still quite sparse outside of PC games, and there have been all these other things added later like HDCP, HDR, 4:4:4, 120Hz panels, and much improved input lag. Basically, there will always be desirable features added each year, so you should buy when you feel like you can get some big immediate benefit, rather than buying in anticipation of some benefit you think you will get a few years down the road.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
55ms is still a terrible mistake even if you only play single player games.

I am gathering this is the consensus? Like everything else TV related 5 people can give you 5 opinions depending on the topic so any additional opinions are welcomed.

More specifically, I have seen a few 930D owners on here, how do you like it for gaming?

I am gathering this is the consensus? Like everything else TV related 5 people can give you 5 opinions depending on the topic so any additional opinions are welcomed.

More specifically, I have seen a few 930D owners on here, how do you like it for gaming?

I love it. Input lag is pretty good for everything other than 4K HDR at this point, and supposedly the Marshmallow update, whenever it ships to existing sets, actually improves things further. Even at 4K HDR, I didn't really notice the lag.

If you can wait, I would suggest going with the 930E, however. Sounds like it builds on the improvements of the 930D in every way. 930D is edge-lit, but has hardware-based local dimming, but a very limited number of zones. While IMO hands down better than an edge-lit set, the small number of zones limits the effectiveness for contrast. The 930E expands the number zones, and it wouldn't surprise me if it did so to the extent that I wouldn't really care much about it anymore.

TheBoss1

By all accounts, and reviews thus far, the Philips is providing the best motion of all the new OLEDs, which is pretty mind blowing, especially when you consider what Sony is wanting for the A1 money-wise. Shame it is useless for gaming.

You mean one review in a foreign language. Also, the Philips has about 55 ms input lag in game mode too which is terrible for gaming. The Sony A1E is priced pretty high and the input lag in 1080P game mode is 42 ms but I'm sure once we get more reviews, it will fall in line with the other X1 Extreme TVs (930E, Z9D) that have lower input lag in 4K game mode (~26 ms). Saying it is useless for gaming is a pretty harsh statement.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
I love it. Input lag is pretty good for everything other than 4K HDR at this point, and supposedly the Marshmallow update, whenever it ships to existing sets, actually improves things further. Even at 4K HDR, I didn't really notice the lag.

If you can wait, I would suggest going with the 930E, however. Sounds like it builds on the improvements of the 930D in every way. 930D is edge-lit, but has hardware-based local dimming, but a very limited number of zones. While IMO hands down better than an edge-lit set, the small number of zones limits the effectiveness for contrast. The 930E expands the number zones, and it wouldn't surprise me if it did so to the extent that I wouldn't really care much about it anymore.

Thanks for the impressions.

I would love the 930E but it is out of my price range, Either getting the D or 900E.

DieH@rd

Banned
what's a more realistic budget?

~$450

If you are only mildly interested in HDR, 40KU6000 from Samsung is a solid basic entry. It is bright, but it does not have wide colour range so HDR is compromised. Lag is great.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ku6300
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-usage/hdr-gaming/best
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-usage/pc-monitor/best

That's last year's entry 4K model from samsung. I don't know if this year's successor will be any better [or at what price].

Hi all, looking for a nice splurge and UK prices for TVs seem good right now.

So I'm split between a 55" LS7000 or a 49" KS7500.

What do you guys think? Its for my office so I'll need to wall-mount it and its likely I may not always be sitting in the center if I'm not purely watching it to play games (been itching to try Horizon in 4K/HDR on my Pro) but not sure it that would be a big issue with the KS7500.

Also obviously the size factors in because being my office 55" is stretching it but because of sale prices in John Lewis the different between the two is less than £50 so I couldn't, in good conscience, choose the smaller and less valuable one for such a similar price.

holygeesus

Banned
You mean one review in a foreign language. Also, the Philips has about 55 ms input lag in game mode too which is terrible for gaming. The Sony A1E is priced pretty high and the input lag in 1080P game mode is 42 ms but I'm sure once we get more reviews, it will fall in line with the other X1 Extreme TVs (930E, Z9D) that have lower input lag in 4K game mode (~26 ms). Saying it is useless for gaming is a pretty harsh statement.

Yeah I actually meant the Philips there, in regard gaming, so don't get your knickers in a twist.

No idea what the review being in a foreign language has to do with anything. Doesn't make their opinion any less relevant, especially as they have actually seen both sets in action.

I see the Sony Defence Force are already primed for action though ;)

CryptiK

Skx9XoX.jpg

I see it and it looks like a fault tbh

TheBoss1

Yeah I actually meant the Philips there, in regard gaming, so don't get your knickers in a twist.

No idea what the review being in a foreign language has to do with anything. Doesn't make their opinion any less relevant, especially as they have actually seen both sets in action.

I see the Sony Defence Force are already primed for action though ;)

I tried being civil but since you wanna go there, all I see you trying to do is defend your purchase of your LG OLED. If anyone has a concern about buying those sets, you go on a personal attack every single time. You downplay everything that may be wrong with the set while usually being negative about the Sony A1E anytime it is brought up. So who's part of a Defense Force now? Try wording your sentences better then I wouldn't have misinterpreted what you said.

As for the site being in another language, all I'm saying is that some information may have been translated wrong and there are details that are still not clear yet, like which resolution the input lag measurement were for. Also, it's still just one review. No one else has done another review. I highly doubt Sony's motion handling is all of a sudden not good when they have been the best in the business for a while now, but this right here is exactly what you despise hearing.

finalflame

I tried being civil but since you wanna go there, all I see you trying to do is defend your purchase of your LG OLED. If anyone has a concern about buying those sets, you go on a personal attack every single time. You downplay everything that may be wrong with the set while usually being negative about the Sony A1E anytime it is brought up. So who's part of a Defense Force now? Try wording your sentences better then I wouldn't have misinterpreted what you said.

As for the site being in another language, all I'm saying is that some information maybe translated wrong and there are still details that are not clear yet, like which resolution the input lag measurement were for. Also, it's still just one review. No one else has done another review. I highly doubt Sony's motion handling is all of a sudden not good when they have been the best in the business for a while now, but this right here is exactly what you despise hearing.

Yah, as a recently new owner of a B6 OLED, the defense force/cult mentality behind it in this thread is a bit on the nose. I love my new set, but it's far from perfect and I've definitely noticed a number of motion handling issues I had never had before.

I'm sure the A1E's motion handling will be superior (because that's not saying a lot comparing to LG's) as is to be expected from Sony. Can't wait to get in-depth reviews.

Yawnny

I will start worrying about HDMI 2.1 on my TV when I actually have some HDMI 2.1 sources.

None of my game consoles have it. Consoles can go years between refreshes, and often take a while to adopt new video standards.

My PC graphics card doesn't have it. And who knows whether Nvidia will even support the refresh-rate feature any time in the near future, given that they opt not to support the one in DisplayPort to protect their Gsync business. It may take a long time until there are enough people using cards with HDMI 2.1 TVs before they feel like they have to support it.

My AVR doesn't have it. Nor would I relish dropping $1K on a new one just to get HDMI 2.1 support with comparable audio processing features.

I'm excited about the potential for HDMI 2.1 in about 5 years time, when there will be an ecosystem of devices that support it. I think about 4K, and how it would have been a waste to hold out for the first 4K TV because the amount of 4K content is still quite sparse outside of PC games, and there have been all these other things added later like HDCP, HDR, 4:4:4, 120Hz panels, and much improved input lag. Basically, there will always be desirable features added each year, so you should buy when you feel like you can get some big immediate benefit, rather than buying in anticipation of some benefit you think you will get a few years down the road.

Very well worded. My thoughts exactly.

I would have patience if I was waiting for something more substantial like a change in screen technology or something, but wait a full year or more just for a new HDMI 2 spec to release? Nah.

TheBoss1

Yah, as a recently new owner of a B6 OLED, the defense force/cult mentality behind it in this thread is a bit on the nose. I love my new set, but it's far from perfect and I've definitely noticed a number of motion handling issues I had never had before.

I'm sure the A1E's motion handling will be superior (because that's not saying a lot comparing to LG's) as is to be expected from Sony. Can't wait to get in-depth reviews.

I'm sure the B6 is a tremendous television and that is what I was going to get initially, but since I knew that new sets and competition were around the corner, I decided to play the waiting game. If the C7 or E7 gets good reviews and more issues are resolved/reduced then I might end up getting one of those. If the B6 happens to drop to $1,000 on Amazon I will buy it in a heartbeat.

Turning de-judder to 2 or 3 should solve motion issues.

holygeesus

Banned

Come on now. There is a difference between correcting misinformation spread by non-owners (which I try and do every time I see it) and downplaying faults (which I don't). I think I have generally been pretty non-partisan when it comes to my comments here, and generally my own thoughts on the shortcomings of my set, tally with established consensus.

The only negative I have in regard the Sony, is the price it is retailing for here, as I have literally no first-hand experience with it, hence relying on reviews, foreign or otherwise, seems the best way to go. In regard my flippant final comment, it's not just you - on other forums around the net, the more 'radical' of Sony fans, seem to discount any reviews with anything negative to say. It was the same with the ZD9 and it seems to be a case of history repeating itself.

I have no allegiance to any company. It's a piece of electronics at the end of the day. If a better one comes along that improves on the areas where I have fault (largely in above black handling rather than motion admittedly) I will consider upgrading, be it a Sony or any other set.

BumRush

Yeah...you're right on here. I'm "waiting" for 2.1, but more because I'm planning on buying a new OLED in 2018. To be honest, I expect 2.1 to be a bigger deal in my next TV purchase, not the 2018 purchase.

Top Bottom