• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

KevinG

I still find myself fanangling with my B6.

Such an incredible TV though. Very happy with it.

I wish there were a way to enjoy Planet Earth 2 without a 4K Bluray player, as I'm not going to have one until, at the very earliest, Scorpio.

I still find myself fanangling with my B6.

Such an incredible TV though. Very happy with it.

I wish there were a way to enjoy Planet Earth 2 without a 4K Bluray player, as I'm not going to have one until, at the very earliest, Scorpio.

I'm pretty much using the settings DF suggested with some minor tweaks. I'm using warm 1, and W15 in game mode. Also using trumotion de-judder 3. OLED light is in mid 40s for standard settings. Think I'm done tinkering with it for now.

Edit: And I think I have contrast at 80 for game mode. Need to find that sweet spot though, because I keep failing to hit the mark with the Xbox One's built in calibration.

Lima

I'm pretty much using the settings DF suggested with some minor tweaks. I'm using warm 1, and W15 in game mode. Also using trumotion de-judder 3. OLED light is in mid 40s for standard settings. Think I'm done tinkering with it for now.

Edit: And I think I have contrast at 80 for game mode. Need to find that sweet spot though, because I keep failing to hit the mark with the Xbox One's built in calibration.

Don't use the Xbox to set up anything. The output is garbage and adheres to no standards. Do it on a PS4 or using the inbuilt media player and AVS 709.

Mate you are a genius. Have an internet high five. I was using a 32gb stick but tried a 16gb and its worked. dont know why that makes a difference but hey ho im updated.

Thank you.

Just FYI, back in January I had a problem updating my B6 from a USB drive where the TV didn't find or recognize the update on the drive at all. NYR suggested that I make sure I had a 3.0 USB drive, and sure enough, it turns out I was trying it with a 2.0 drive and when I bought a 3.0 drive it worked just fine.

Yawnny

I finally picked up an Xbox One S the other day. Found a Battlefield 1 bundle for a good deal.

I've been gaming native 4K from my PC for the last couple weeks since I bought my B6 and it's been glorious. I've also been extremely happy with the 1080P upscale for Netflix movies and regular Blu Rays, so I was a little disappointed to see BF1s upscale in comparison to all that.

A softer, blurrier, jagged picture plagued BF1 (and I'm sure a lot of other upscaled games). I wouldn't be surprised if BF1 was running on 720P on the Xbox One S and being upscaled from there. The Xbox One S is set to 4K although with just feeding a 1080p signal and let the TV do the upscale, BF1 looked about the same. A janky picture to be sure.

Again, Netflix 1080P, and regular Blu Rays look great on both the Xbox One S and the TVS apps.

I probably spoiled myself seeing native 4K from my PC (off a 980ti) for the last two weeks straight.. IE: GTA 5 looks jaw dropping.

At least I have a 4K UHD Player now! I would be disappointed to have a 4K TV and not have the PC to push any native 4K, otherwise it seems like you'd be missing out on so much quality wow factor as far as gaming goes.

Do the HDR games look any better resolution wise? Or is it just same jagged edges but with a better Color palette? I'm presuming it changes from game to game depending what kind of tech they've implemented.. I'm going to pickup Gears 4 and Forza this weekend to test out.

J-Rzez

From the reports I hear, the Samsung 65Q9F has 15ms of input lag!

That is an impressive number, maybe their other QLED's get an update that lowers it to that too.

What would you guys get, the new LG 65C7 or the Samsung 65Q9F? Just looking to use it for games.

OLED easily. If I had to get a LED for some reason, I'd look at a Sony. Q7 still had motion issues from years past and that's a bigger offender to me than 10-20ms input lag. From the QLEDs and MUs I've seen this year, Samsung is hoping to sell on it's name and marketing alone.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Someone on another forum mentioned absolutely loving playing PC games in forced 3D on their TV. I wonder how well it would end up working on the LG's which have better 3D. Anyone ever try it?

I finally picked up an Xbox One S the other day. Found a Battlefield 1 bundle for a good deal.

I've been gaming native 4K from my PC for the last couple weeks since I bought my B6 and it's been glorious. I've also been extremely happy with the 1080P upscale for Netflix movies and regular Blu Rays, so I was a little disappointed to see BF1s upscale in comparison to all that.

A softer, blurrier, jagged picture plagued BF1 (and I'm sure a lot of other upscaled games). I wouldn't be surprised if BF1 was running on 720P on the Xbox One S and being upscaled from there. The Xbox One S is set to 4K although with just feeding a 1080p signal and let the TV do the upscale, BF1 looked about the same. A janky picture to be sure.

Again, Netflix 1080P, and regular Blu Rays look great on both the Xbox One S and the TVS apps.

I probably spoiled myself seeing native 4K from my PC (off a 980ti) for the last two weeks straight.. IE: GTA 5 looks jaw dropping.

At least I have a 4K UHD Player now! I would be disappointed to have a 4K TV and not have the PC to push any native 4K, otherwise it seems like you'd be missing out on so much quality wow factor as far as gaming goes.

Do the HDR games look any better resolution wise? Or is it just same jagged edges but with a better Color palette? I'm presuming it changes from game to game depending what kind of tech they've implemented.. I'm going to pickup Gears 4 and Forza this weekend to test out.

BF1 does run at 720p on XBox. As does BF4 and Star Wars Battlefront.

Caayn

I'd also hope that even if it is optional, NVIDIA does not consider televisions and projectors to be competing with their monitors.
Knowing NVIDIA they'll do their best to keep VRR support out of their drivers for as long as possible.
As Insane Metal already stated, BF games runs at 720p on XB1.

720p should scale better to 4K than to 1080p, as 4K is triple 720p in both dimensions.

Yawnny

Knowing NVIDIA they'll do their best to keep VRR support out of their drivers for as long as possible.
As Insane Metal already stated, BF games runs at 720p on XB1.

720p should scale better to 4K than to 1080p, as 4K is triple 720p in both dimensions.

Indeed this theory is true, I'll have to see how some other games look. A cartooney game such as Banjo Kazooie looks fantastic but I'm gonna try with an HDR game like Gears 4 and see how it is. I can see myself still gaming primarily on the PC.

Although 720p is an interger scale of 4K isn't that still a longer 'travel' distance for the upscale to make its way to 4K? Thus looking worse by the time it gets there compared to 1080p? I always thought 1080p upscaled looked better than 720p upscaled even though 1080p is not an interger scale.

EDIT: Not travel time, but travel distance

I saw that new US curved TVs will basically be no more, so I ordered the LG C6 65" OLED, 2016 model (2017 model isn't curved, which I really want).

Did I do 'good' (well)?

Yukstin

I saw that new US curved TVs will basically be no more, so I ordered the LG C6 65" OLED, 2016 model (2017 model isn't curved, which I really want).

Did I do 'good' (well)?

I have the C6 and I love it. It's a very subtle curve and I don't even notice the curve during normal viewing. You'll get the same picture performance as the other OLEDs.

Yukstin

HDR won't make the resolution "look better" but the two games you mentioned are running at 1080 so the upscale won't be as noticeable.

HDR will enhance the brighter images. So when you're playing gears and there is lighting, it will really light up the screen.

Yawnny

...but the two games you mentioned are running at 1080 so the upscale won't be as noticeable.

This is converse to what the previous poster mentioned about 720P looking better because of the integer scale.. It would seeem that your thoughts are more in-line with my perspective of upscaling.

If you read my follow up post quoting this person (Post #5463) I likewise thought that 1080P would look better because it has less travel distance to go.. integer scale or not it's scaling from a sharper resolution.. but I could be wrong.

One way to find out I suppose - test for myself (just the same why I could finally form my own opinion on OLED). I'll let people know what I think!

On a side note: Holy crap, I didn't realize newest generation of console were still running 720P.. Consoles are more behind than I thought.

Scorpio hype talking about being a 4K system.. I highly doubt it unless it costs $2000+ dollars (ie: using the example that 1080ti is $1000 CAD on it's own and is really one of the only viable 4K cards out).. that's just a side comment though, not intending to derail the thread..

On to discussion re: upscaling!

Caayn

Indeed this theory is true, I'll have to see how some other games look. A cartooney game such as Banjo Kazooie looks fantastic but I'm gonna try with an HDR game like Gears 4 and see how it is. I can see myself still gaming primarily on the PC.

Although 720p is an interger scale of 4K isn't that still a longer 'travel' distance for the upscale to make its way to 4K? Thus looking worse by the time it gets there compared to 1080p? I always thought 1080p upscaled looked better than 720p upscaled even though 1080p is not an interger scale.

EDIT: Not travel time, but travel distance
To clarify my previous post.

720p scales perfect to 4K. Each pixel becomes a grid of nine (3x).
1080p scales perfect to 4K. Each pixel becomes a grid of four (2x).

1080p will obviously scale better to 4K than 720p will as there's simply much more data and the pixels needs to be stretched less to fill the screen.

Why the confusion? I misread your post, so that's my mistake. I thought that your XB1 was set to 1080p, which would cause terrible upscale for 720p. 720p upscale to 1080p(doesn't scale well) which will then be upscaled again to 4K.

Banjo Kazooie runs at 1080p with 4xMSAA and Gears 4 runs at 1080p most of the time. Which explains why those games look cleaner/better on a 4K screen.

My local BB already has a W7 on display. That display is gorgeous. I thought my OLED was thin and then you look at that, barely there.

Only drawback is the soundbar/control unit but that's the trade-off for a razor thin screen.

Thankfully I am spared the thought and expense of buying one given I can't fit a 65" in my entertainment center.

Yawnny

Why the confusion? I misread your post, so that's my mistake. I thought that your XB1 was set to 1080p, which would cause terrible upscale for 720p. 720p upscale to 1080p(doesn't scale well) which will then be upscaled again to 4K.

Banjo Kazooie runs at 1080p with 4xMSAA and Gears 4 runs at 1080p most of the time. Which explains why those games look cleaner/better on a 4K screen.

Awesome, appreciate the clarification!

Yukstin

On a side note: Holy crap, I didn't realize newest generation of console were still running 720P.. Consoles are more behind than I thought.

It's funny as I had a difference experience with BF1. BF1 on Xbox 1 was the first game I tried on my OLED and I was completely blown away by it. I didn't even notice the lower resolution. It may not have looked as nice if I had viewed a lot of 4K PC games first.

Since I got my OLED I have switched a lot of my gaming to the PS4 Pro to take advantage of the higher resolution even if it's not true 4K. Horizon and UC4 were simply stunning.

Kyoufu

This is converse to what the previous poster mentioned about 720P looking better because of the integer scale.. It would seeem that your thoughts are more in-line with my perspective of upscaling.

If you read my follow up post quoting this person (Post #5463) I likewise thought that 1080P would look better because it has less travel distance to go.. integer scale or not it's scaling from a sharper resolution.. but I could be wrong.

One way to find out I suppose - test for myself (just the same why I could finally form my own opinion on OLED). I'll let people know what I think!

Scorpio hype talking about being a 4K system.. I highly doubt it unless it costs $2000+ dollars (ie: using the example that 1080ti is $1000 CAD on it's own and is really one of the only viable 4K cards out).. that's just a side comment though, not intending to derail the thread..

On to discussion re: upscaling!

I can't remember the last time I played a 720p game on PS4. Or the first time.

Yawnny

It's funny as I had a difference experience with BF1. BF1 on Xbox 1 was the first game I tried on my OLED and I was completely blown away by it. I didn't even notice the lower resolution. It may not have looked as nice if I had viewed a lot of 4K PC games first.

Since I got my OLED I have switched a lot of my gaming to the PS4 Pro to take advantage of the higher resolution even if it's not true 4K. Horizon and UC4 were simply stunning.

I have a non Pro PS4 so the upgrade wasn't top on my priority earlier this year.

Now that I have a TV that can take advantage of the 'Pro' aspect of the console It's certainly something I'll be picking up.

I never had an original Xbox One and wanted an affordable UHD Player so Xbox One S seemed like a no-brainer. I'm still happy with it.

EDIT: I popped on Bloodborne (which looks like is 1080P) and it looked fucking amazing. Turns out I'm more and more disappointted in EA for shoveling out 720P. Oh well!

2ND EDIT: Not just EA I guess! Been doing some more research. I've been out of the console war ever since I picked up a PS4 a couple years back.. didn't realize Xbox had 720P resolution on so many of their games!

Welp, glad I have my gaming PC

holygeesus

Banned

Yeah same. Even though it's not 'proper' 4K games look stunning on the Pro I think.

I'd also say, in my opinion only, I don't put much stock in calibrating for video games. I'm not so interested in an 'accurate' picture when it comes to gaming. I want one that is vibrant and pops. Not so excessive that you lose detail, but I have my OLED at 95 for SDR material, and contrast at 84, so as to really pump out the brightness.

When we watch films, it's a more relaxing environment, and the OLED light is back in the 60s and the picture is calibrated for accuracy, but I'm not as convinced it is as necessary for gaming. Just make it look big and bright!

Madness

Did I do 'good' (well)?

Curved televisions were mostly a marketing gimmick. They provided little to no discernible viewing benefits at the main 55" or 65" sizes and yet cost more and were often in fact worse than flat panels, especially for LED sets. Curved sets often had more banding, more cloudiness and panel uniformity issues, light bleeding etc. Sure they looked cool, but almost every single time the curved version rated worse than the flat.

For OLED this was different. The technology allowed for no real panel differences and the C6 has 3D where the B6 does not. So you did well. You have a great set and one of the last 3D sets by LG.

Is the KS8000 still a solid pick for the under $1000 crowd? I'm real close to pulling the trigger on the 55 inch at Costco. It seems like the comparably priced vizio p series has very good reviews but I don't see it mentioned that often in the context of gaming. Having support for Dolby vision as well as hdr 10 seems like a feather in its cap though. (Sorry, I'm sure this sort of comparison has been made lots of times, but with various firmware updates and whatnot, I just want to make sure I didn't miss some recent change before taking the plunge)

Yukstin

Is the KS8000 still a solid pick for the under $1000 crowd? I'm real close to pulling the trigger on the 55 inch at Costco. It seems like the comparably priced vizio p series has very good reviews but I don't see it mentioned that often in the context of gaming. Having support for Dolby vision as well as hdr 10 seems like a feather in its cap though. (Sorry, I'm sure this sort of comparison has been made lots of times, but with various firmware updates and whatnot, I just want to make sure I didn't miss some recent change before taking the plunge)

KS8000 is the better buy. Better input lag on the KS8000 is the main reason.

Vizio does have DV but that isn't taken advantage of by either gaming console currently.

The P is a IPS panel if you buy the 55 inch.

Jigolo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbdB27BgmEk

Those last 10 seconds

LZW8VPw.gif

Help!

Sony X93E (XE93)
Edge-lit
X1 Extreme Processor

or

Sony X90E (XE90)
Full array local dimming
X1 processor

I want it primarily for gaming. I am partial to the X90E since it has full array, but at the same time, I wish it had the X1 Extreme processor that the X93E has (I wonder how much that matters?). Thoughts?

TheBoss1

Help!

Sony X93E (XE93)
Edge-lit
X1 Extreme Processor

or

Sony X90E (XE90)
Full array local dimming
X1 processor

I want it primarily for gaming. I am partial to the X90E since it has full array, but at the same time, I wish it had the X1 Extreme processor that the X93E has (I wonder how much that matters?). Thoughts?

X93E once price is not an issue. Brighter than most TVs out now with excellent local dimming according to RTINGS.

X93E once price is not an issue. Brighter than most TVs out now with excellent local dimming according to RTINGS.

Interesting, yes I just read this from RTINGS: "Though note that full array local dimming isn't always better than edge lit, the X930E's edge lit local dimming is better than the X900E's full array."

Gotta start saving my spare change then!

TheBoss1

Interesting, yes I just read this from RTINGS: "Though note that full array local dimming isn't always better than edge lit, the X930E's edge lit local dimming is better than the X900E's full array."

Gotta start saving my spare change then!

From RTINGS:
The Sony X900E is another great Sony LED TV. They're both quite similar, but the X930E gets a lot brighter which is great for HDR. The local dimming of the X930E also performs slightly better than the X900E, but it's difficult to justify paying more for the marginal differences. Because of this, most people should get the X900E instead.

I wouldn't consider a 43% increase in peak brightness or almost 3X "real scene peak brightness" marginal, but I do think the X900E seems like a better bang for buck.

Madness

Help!

Sony X93E (XE93)
Edge-lit
X1 Extreme Processor

or

Sony X90E (XE90)
Full array local dimming
X1 processor

If price no factor, get the X930E. Better HDR and brightness, best image processor on the market. Also about 25ms input lag only.

Hello friends,

I'm thinking of buying a 4k TV soon. What I would like to know is, are the budget brands of those TV's at the point where the picture/image quality is better than my Panasonic TH-50PZ77U? It was a top of the line 1080p Plasma TV back in 2008ish and it's still beautiful at 1080p.

It's just really clunky at this point, weighing in at about 111lbs. I want to get something modern and lighter, lol. But if the image quality on the new budget TV's is the same or even a little less than my Panny, I think I could hold off a little longer.

EDIT - I should add I'll be playing games(PS4 Pro, Xbone and eventually Scorpio, Switch, PC) as well as watching Blu-rays and 4k Blu-rays on this new TV should I get it.

TheBoss1

If price no factor, get the X930E. Better HDR and brightness, best image processor on the market. Also about 25ms input lag only.

In 4K. Great for PS4 Pro and PC.

1080P game mode is about 42 ms. Mediocre for base PS4/XBONE and older systems.

Madness

In 4K. Great for PS4 Pro and PC.

1080P game mode is about 42 ms. Mediocre for base PS4/XBONE and older systems.

I mean he was saying it is for gaming, why buy a top of the line 4K and HDR television but not upgrade to a PS4 Pro or Xbox One S to at least take advantage of 4K and HDR? Also, anything under 50ms is still playable. Twitch shooters, fighting games you want the lowest input lag. 42ms would be tolerable until you upgrade etc.

vpance

The KS9800 is on my radar now that the prices dropped. Best rated TV for HDR of last year other than the Z9D. 150 zone FALD > edge lit. Curved, but I could live with that.

Anyone in here got one?

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Help!

Sony X93E (XE93)
Edge-lit
X1 Extreme Processor

or

Sony X90E (XE90)
Full array local dimming
X1 processor

FWIW I am quite pleased with my 900E so far. For gaming I highly doubt the X1 Extreme would make a difference worth the premium the 930E commands.

DieH@rd

Banned
Help!

Sony X93E (XE93)
Edge-lit
X1 Extreme Processor

or

Sony X90E (XE90)
Full array local dimming
X1 processor

Both are good, but if you can bear the price, get the baby ZD9.
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/kd55xe9305-201703274446.htm

Top Bottom