• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Yawnny

Hi all,

So I'm not sure why but I couldn't find HDR Game mode option on my B6. I rented Gears of War 4 this afternoon and this is actually the first HDR Game I'm playing.

I have Auto Updates turned on and my Software Version is 04.30.65
I click Check For Updates and it say's "No Updates Available"

I noticed on the B6 website that there are versions after 4.30.65

ie:
[04.30.77]
1. Apply the HDR Game mode.

[04.31.10]
1. Add the HDR Game mode to improve the input lag
2. Improve the video tearing issue in HDR 4K input and Game mode setting

[04.31.15]
1. Improve the Judder issue in 60hz motion.
--

What determines if LG can grab these updates automatically or not? I've confirmed that I'm connected to the internet.

I'm going to manually install, but was wondering what the deal was here as I was running off the assumption I was automatically up to date!

Edit: Found a paragraph on Forbes stating:
In keeping with LG's other HDR Game updates, it doesn't upload to your LG TV automatically. You need to download it to USB stick from LG's website.

Does this mean that the system won't grab anything after the Game update if it doesn't see it installed? ie: the judder update. I'm manually installing anywhay so it's sort of a non-issue, but I am curious

Yawnny

Anyone actually notice some sort of change after the most recent update?

Edit: For the B6 (ie: Improve the Judder issue in 60hz motion)

So I just noticed a very thin vertical band of pixels on the right side of my B6 which appear to be slightly lighter in color vs the surrounding pixels. It's only noticeable in certain scenarios (PS4 menu, nighttime in Horizon) and I never noticed it before today so I'm wondering if it's always been there or not. It covers the entire height of the TV in a perfectly straight line.

Snagged a quick phone pic which honestly makes it look worse than it actually is:

CRg1rg1.jpg

Any ideas what this is?

Lima

Wow you know I was wondering why over the years I didn't read anything about Panasonic TV's on here or over at avsforums. TIL that Panasonic stopped selling their TV's in the US after 2013.

Fucking blew my mind.

Hello friends,

I'm thinking of buying a 4k TV soon. What I would like to know is, are the budget brands of those TV's at the point where the picture/image quality is better than my Panasonic TH-50PZ77U? It was a top of the line 1080p Plasma TV back in 2008ish and it's still beautiful at 1080p.

It's just really clunky at this point, weighing in at about 111lbs. I want to get something modern and lighter, lol. But if the image quality on the new budget TV's is the same or even a little less than my Panny, I think I could hold off a little longer.

EDIT - I should add I'll be playing games(PS4 Pro, Xbone and eventually Scorpio, Switch, PC) as well as watching Blu-rays and 4k Blu-rays on this new TV should I get it.
Just gonna repost this one time for the new page and than I'll drop it. Any help would be appreciated. :)

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Hmm any thought that the 65" LG E6P will drop to $2499.99 or less? I guess at this point to know you'd have to have a real working crystal ball though.

Wonder if I should stretch my budget to the limit to replaced my VT60 or not. I'd actually really like the Z9D but I'd rather much pay in the $3,000 range.

Theonik

Wow you know I was wondering why over the years I didn't read anything about Panasonic TV's on here or over at avsforums. TIL that Panasonic stopped selling their TV's in the US after 2013.

Fucking blew my mind.
Hmmm? AVS forums had a dedicated plasma forum that was all Panasonic for years. The Panasonic plasmas anyone cared about were quite expensive so people here only picked them up on the cheap after the fact.

E: Oh I misread. Yes Panasonic TVs never sold great in the US and so they bailed. TV in general is a race to the bottom these days anyway.

Fuck I just ran a comp cycle and when I woke up this morning there is a solid white line of what looks like dead pixels down the side.

Did my OLED just crap out on me? :((((

FerranMG

I'm looking to get a new TV for under 1000€.
4k, hdr.
To be used to watch tv and for gaming.
I was under the impression there were two best "de facto" TVs under this category: an LG and a Samsung. But can't seem to find this info now.
Can anyone point me to the right direction?

Yawnny

I'm looking to get a new TV for under 1000€.
4k, hdr.
To be used to watch tv and for gaming.
I was under the impression there were two best "de facto" TVs under this category: an LG and a Samsung. But can't seem to find this info now.
Can anyone point me to the right direction?

What is the size you were after? Does 49" do the trick?

Take a peek a the Sony X900E 49"
Solid reviews thus far

Yawnny

Can't wait to update tomorrow. I'm honestly shocked how they continue to provide such support for 2016 models. Interested to see what other improvements come in the next few months.

I agree, nice to see updates for the 2016 models.

I installed the patch yesterday. I'm not sure I notice a difference in scenes where I noticed judder in the past (ie: 3:2 Pulldown judder I believe is what I'm referring to). For example, the beginning of Stranger Things Episode 1 after the intro when it's panning through the inside of the trailer.

I was never bothered by it much to begin with.. but I am curious if that's the sort of thing this patch was aiming to fix.

Lucentto

Banned
I randomly walked into Best Buy today since I had nothing better to do. I finally took a look at the LG B6 models and the W7 they had on display in person. They are calling my name I swear, they look so good. I am reluctant to get a new TV now since I have had my Vizio P50-C1 for less than a year. But I suppose I can just throw it in the bedroom...

Kyoufu

I randomly walked into Best Buy today since I had nothing better to do. I finally took a look at the LG B6 models and the W7 they had on display in person. They are calling my name I swear, they look so good. I am reluctant to get a new TV now since I have had my Vizio P50-C1 for less than a year. But I suppose I can just throw it in the bedroom...

I would just wait until HDMI 2.1 is the new standard if I had a 4K TV already tbh.

Yawnny

Question regarding the LG B6 when in HDR mode:

What is the HDR Color Temp Equivalent to 'Warm 2'.. I've seen some settings ranging from W45 to W15 as far as what people are setting color temp when in HDR mode.

With SDR - ISF Dark Room I love 'Warm 2'.. but I'm having trouble figuring if I'm too warm with W45 in HDR as suggested by Digital Foundry.

Any insight?

holygeesus

Banned

What is the HDR Color Temp Equivalent to 'Warm 2'.. I've seen some settings ranging from W45 to W15 as far as what people are setting color temp when in HDR mode.

With SDR - ISF Dark Room I love 'Warm 2'.. but I'm having trouble figuring if I'm too warm with W45 in HDR as suggested by Digital Foundry.

Any insight?

Do you mean HDR Game? Change colour gamut to Normal from Wide then tweak from there. I found it pretty natural by default.

Yawnny

Do you mean HDR Game? Change colour gamut to Normal from Wide then tweak from there. I found it pretty natural by default.

Sorry forgot to mention that. Yes, I'm in HDR Game.
I switched to 'Normal' color gamut right away.

When I first switched to it I found the color a tad on the cool side.

Digital Foundry then came out and put there Color temp at W45 in HDR Game, although this almost seems a touch on the 'too warm' side.

For DF's HDR Standard settings they mention that W45 was closest to Warm 2..

Often when tweaking I like knowing when I'm close to Warm 2, Warm 1, etc.. I'm not sure if HDR Game is that much different from HDR Standard once color gamut is set to normal?

I'm not use to this 100 point scale of Warm to Cool (ie: W50 to C50)

On a side note: I find it odd that on the Xbox One S the Netflix App kicks in to HDR right away, as soon as it's loaded, whether or not an HDR show is playing. This means that Non-HDR content (ie: The Force Awakens) is still using my HDR color setting.. and I feel like that's throwing things off.

However, when running the Netflix App from my B6 the screen only switches to HDR when it's a show that is HDR capable.

It's almost like the Xbox One S Netflix App is hacking/tricking the TV to force HDR picture modes when there really shouldn't be.

Any insight?

W44 or W45 on both my 55" and 65" B6s according to my meter.

Lima

Is that with Wide or Normal color gamut?

Yawnny - I think that is a known bug with the Xbox unfortunately. Surprised it hasn't been fixed.

Normal, you should never use wide ever. It oversatures. Normal is always the correct setting even in HDR as it maps the DCI container properly to Rec.2020. Hence the rename to Auto in 2017 to make it more clear that it's the correct setting.

holygeesus

Banned
Normal, you should never use wide ever. It oversatures. Normal is always the correct setting even in HDR as it maps the DCI container properly to Rec.2020. Hence the rename to Auto in 2017 to make it more clear that it's the correct setting.

I know Normal is the correct setting for HDR, but people have been compensating for a locked wide colour gamut in normal Game, by setting to W50, so was wondering how he was measuring it. W50 will look way different depending on which of those gamuts are chosen.

Still seems an odd decision to me, to lock Game mode's colour gamut.

ACH1LL3US

I purchased the 55C7 Saturday from Value Electronics in NY, met Robert and his wife, very nice peeps and I am using it exclusively for games and using my Leo Bodnar tester the C7 will do 21.4ms in pc mode with game picture mode and HDMI deep color mode on for 4:4:4, this is a massive improvement over any 2016 oled imho.

Everyone using the C7 for games need to use PC mode with game picture mode and deep color enabled as this gives the clearest and lowest lag possible on the tv, no need to use game mode outside of PC mode due to 4:2:0 in that mode.

Also I have to say with oled light at 35 which is what I used on my 65B6, the C7 is almost blinding with full screen content, NO noticeable ABL anymore, thank God!!!

2017 LG oled's are a major improvement for gaming versus 2016 ( I had a 65B6 and a 55E6).

Main improvements for gaming that I have seen:

1:) much lower lag 21.4ms by my Leo Bodnar
2:) significantly less lag with 4:4:4 in pc mode, 21.4ms!!
3:) NO ABL
4:) Massive improvement in uniformity, no vignetting, very minor vertical banding, 80% improvement over the 2016's and I honestly couldn't stand the uniformity on the 2016's.
5:)No more magenta tint anti glare filter, now looks jet black and really improves contrast
6:) Undefeatable edge enhancement is now gone, 2016's had edge enhancement that couldn't be turned off even at sharpness at zero, with 2017 the sharpness at 10 gets rid of edge enhancement and has no added sharpness, so a pristine image that when using for pc monitor and gaming is very noticeable!
7:) 120hz native at 1080p! Will try other resolutions, looks like I can get 4k native at 120hz at 4:2:0 with custom edid in Nvidia control panel !!!!

Any questions let me know!!

Don't tempt me. I might go from a 55E6 to a 65C7. :(
Playing Nier works well enough for me with the 34 ms of the E6, but those 21 ms...
Considering you have a 55", barely having any uniformity problems isn't surprising.
Why did you downsize?

I purchased the 55C7 Saturday from Value Electronics in NY, met Robert and his wife, very nice peeps and I am using it exclusively for games and using my Leo Bodnar tester the C7 will do 21.4ms in pc mode with game picture mode and HDMI deep color mode on for 4:4:4, this is a massive improvement over any 2016 oled imho.

Everyone using the C7 for games need to use PC mode with game picture mode and deep color enabled as this gives the clearest and lowest lag possible on the tv, no need to use game mode outside of PC mode due to 4:2:0 in that mode.

Also I have to say with oled light at 35 which is what I used on my 65B6, the C7 is almost blinding with full screen content, NO noticeable ABL anymore, thank God!!!

2017 LG oled's are a major improvement for gaming versus 2016 ( I had a 65B6 and a 55E6).

Main improvements for gaming that I have seen:

1:) much lower lag 21.4ms by my Leo Bodnar
2:) significantly less lag with 4:4:4 in pc mode, 21.4ms!!
3:) NO ABL
4:) Massive improvement in uniformity, no vignetting, very minor vertical banding, 80% improvement over the 2016's and I honestly couldn't stand the uniformity on the 2016's.
5:)No more magenta tint anti glare filter, now looks jet black and really improves contrast
6:) Undefeatable edge enhancement is now gone, 2016's had edge enhancement that couldn't be turned off even at sharpness at zero, with 2017 the sharpness at 10 gets rid of edge enhancement and has no added sharpness, so a pristine image that when using for pc monitor and gaming is very noticeable!
7:) 120hz native at 1080p! Will try other resolutions, looks like I can get 4k native at 120hz at 4:2:0 with custom edid in Nvidia control panel !!!!

Any questions let me know!!

What's it like for reflections in a bright room?

ACH1LL3US

What's it like for reflections in a bright room?

Much much better then the 2016's due to the AR filter not having a tint, I used it in a very bright room and it has way better anti glare then the Kuro I have or any tv before it like the ks8000.

Don't tempt me. I might go from a 55E6 to a 65C7. :(
Playing Nier works well enough for me with the 34 ms of the E6, but those 21 ms...
Considering you have a 55", barely having any uniformity problems isn't surprising.
Why did you downsize?

When I picked up the tv Saturday at Value Electronics they had a 65C7 being ISF calibrated and I asked them to show me a 5% grey slide( was in a pitch black room in the back of the store)it had no vignetting either and almost zero banding! The set had been run in and had 250hrs on it. It was night and day difference versus the 65b6 I had that was made in Nov 2015!

Having used many 2016's and now seen two 2017's ( 65 and 55) I would 100% take the 2017's over the last years models, no question about it, even with the much higher price right now. Especially for gaming.

Keep in mind the 2017's are doing 21ms with 4:4:4, the 2016's I tested with the Leo Bodnar were in the 50-60ms with 4:4:4, such a major improvement for the 2017's. Not even the ks8000 felt as snappy as this C7 for gaming! My 49ks8000 shows 23ms on the middle bar and that is with 4:2:2, with 4:4:4 the lag is at 44ms :0

I have never tested a tv with the Leo Bodnar that has got this low of numbers before, the closest is the ks8000 and ks9500 which were at 23ms but they had almost 20ms of pixel response whereas this oled has .3ms of pixel response time.

ACH1LL3US

Can't agree at all. Last year's Samsung SUHD displays do a much better job IMO.
Less reflections due to motheye.

I had a KS8000 and briefly a KS9500 and compared to the 2016 Oled's, I would agree the Moth Eye filter is much better BUT the 2017 oled's have a better filter than Samsung this year IMHO.

holygeesus

Banned
I know you are using it for gaming exclusively, but some feedback on tv/film watching would be great - namely, how do poorly encoded shows on Netflix and Sky (satellite/cable) fare? Something like Penny Dreadful is good for showing this up - e.g. dark, dimly lit material. Do you still get the macro blocking?

Yawnny

Still seems an odd decision to me, to lock Game mode's colour gamut.

I run HDR Game and I'm able to select Normal color gamut. I'm now running W45.

When I game SDR I use ISF Dark Room

Everyone's talking about input lag improvements and I find ISF Dark Room in SDR perfectly fine, don't detect a trace of input lag on the B6.

I definitely noticed input lag in HDR before the patch, but now it's flawless to my eyes (and fingers + thumbs) in HDR Game.. So I can certainly notice it when it's bad.. but perhaps I'm not as sensitive as others.

Having used many 2016's and now seen two 2017's ( 65 and 55) I would 100% take the 2017's over the last years models, no question about it, even with the much higher price right now. Especially for gaming.

I demo'd some C7's the other day and It's certainly at the point of diminishing returns compared to the difference from my 8 year old TV and the B6 I recently bought.

it had no vignetting either and almost zero banding! The set had been run in and had 250hrs on it. It was night and day difference versus the 65b6.

I'm happy I've never noticed either on my B6. The TV in the boardroom at work is some Toshiba 55" LED and the vignetting is horrid, but something like the B6.. comparing that to the shitty Toshiba.. that is night and day to my eyes.. not so much the B6 to the C7

I'm legitimately curious, are people/gaffers here really going to try and sell their 2016 models to put towards a 2017 model that costs $1500 to $2000 more?

Of course if I had the money and hadn't already bought a 2016 model then why not get a 2017? but we're talking $1500 to $2000 increase which could be multiple budget jumps.. factor in if you already own a 2016 model and are expecting huge differences.. it just reminds me of when I was going down the rabbit hole with headphone DACs and Amps and eventually realized that there's a point where the differences are so negligible that it's becoming a bad investment..

The thought "when does it all end?" crept in to my mind a couple times during that phase of my life.. lol

Again, I'm legitimately curious who is actually going this upgrade route (2016 model to 2017 model)..

dallow_bg

nods at old men

He means for non-HDR game mode.
You can't change it there. Locked to 'Wide' for some reason.

I'm legitimately curious, are people/gaffers here really going to try and sell their 2016 models to put towards a 2017 model that costs $1500 to $2000 more?

I got the 2016 for 3D.
As nice as the improvements are, I really wanted this feature for a least a few more years.

Yawnny

He means for non-HDR game mode.
You can't change it there. Locked to 'Wide' for some reason.

Oh okay, that makes sense. I tried non-HDR Game mode to compare with ISF Dark Room and noticed no perceptible difference as far as input lag goes.. so I stuck with ISF Dark Room.

Reallink

Everyone's talking about input lag improvements and I find ISF Dark Room in SDR perfectly fine, don't detect a trace of input lag on the B6.

I definitely noticed input lag in HDR before the patch, but now it's flawless to my eyes (and fingers + thumbs) in HDR Game.. So I can certainly notice it when it's bad.. but perhaps I'm not as sensitive as others.

I demo'd some C7's the other day and It's certainly at the point of diminishing returns compared to the difference from my 8 year old TV and the B6 I recently bought.

I'm happy I've never noticed either on my B6. The TV in the boardroom at work is some Toshiba 55" LED and the vignetting is horrid, but something like the B6.. comparing that to the shitty Toshiba.. that is night and day to my eyes.. not so much the B6 to the C7

Of course if I had the money and hadn't already bought a 2016 model then why not get a 2017? but we're talking $1500 to $2000 increase which could be multiple budget jumps.. factor in if you already own a 2016 model and are expecting huge differences.. it just reminds me of when I was going down the rabbit hole with headphone DACs and Amps and eventually realized that there's a point where the differences are so negligible that it's becoming a bad investment..

The thought "when does it all end?" crept in to my mind a couple times during that phase of my life.. lol

Again, I'm legitimately curious who is actually going this upgrade route (2016 model to 2017 model)..

The 2016s were $3500 and $4000 when they first came too, the '17s will drop to the same $2000 and $1500 price points in a few months.

Are there demo clips of UHD BluRays available anywhere? Preferably ones that my LG B6 can play. I googled a bit but couldn't find anything.
I'm not sure the increase in quality over standard BluRays is worth the purchase of a UHD player.

ACH1LL3US

I hear you in the cost front, but having owned and used many 2016 oled's exclusively for gaming, the 2017's are a huge jump.

You have no ABL on the 2017's
You play pc games at 120hz
You have 21ms of input lag at 4:4:4, the b6 with 4:4:4 is over 60ms
Much less banding, no vignetting

I know it is a lot more money for the new 2017's but from my experience it is a huge jump up.

Have you played games on the 2017's?

TL24

Hi all,

So I'm not sure why but I couldn't find HDR Game mode option on my B6. I rented Gears of War 4 this afternoon and this is actually the first HDR Game I'm playing.

I have Auto Updates turned on and my Software Version is 04.30.65
I click Check For Updates and it say's "No Updates Available"

I noticed on the B6 website that there are versions after 4.30.65

ie:
[04.30.77]
1. Apply the HDR Game mode.

[04.31.10]
1. Add the HDR Game mode to improve the input lag
2. Improve the video tearing issue in HDR 4K input and Game mode setting

[04.31.15]
1. Improve the Judder issue in 60hz motion.
--

What determines if LG can grab these updates automatically or not? I've confirmed that I'm connected to the internet.

I'm going to manually install, but was wondering what the deal was here as I was running off the assumption I was automatically up to date!

Edit: Found a paragraph on Forbes stating:

Does this mean that the system won't grab anything after the Game update if it doesn't see it installed? ie: the judder update. I'm manually installing anywhay so it's sort of a non-issue, but I am curious

I'm also wondering WHY the update from the TV itself isn't working.... I've had to install the last two updates via a flash drive and every time I check for an update from the TV itself - nothing.

What gives?!

holygeesus

Banned
I hear you in the cost front, but having owned and used many 2016 oled's exclusively for gaming, the 2017's are a huge jump.

I know it is a lot more money for the new 2017's but from my experience it is a huge jump up.

Clearly none of us have, but you have to understand that not all of your issues are concerns for all of us. ABL doesn't bother me. I don't play PC games at 120hz, nor am I bothered with the minuscule improvements 4:4:4 offers, and the lag improvement alone is not worth investing more cash, yet.

I also don't suffer from any bands, slides or otherwise, and the only vignetting I have is slight reverse vignetting, in that the sides are slightly brighter, and while I realise the 2017s are improvements in every regard, the jumps aren't big enough *for me*.

If the 2017s had flawless shadow detail reproduction, then that is far more of a big deal for me personally.

Is color gamut in SDR Game Mode still locked to wide on the 2017 sets?

Yawnny

The 2016s were $3500 and $4000 when they first came too, the '17s will drop to the same $2000 and $1500 price points in a few months.

I hear you on the price drop thing, and on that point: when the 2017 prices drop to 2016 prices then the 2018 models will be right around the corner. Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Nothing wrong with this, just a lot of money to keep spending on TV's.

...but having owned and used many 2016 oled's exclusively for gaming, the 2017's are a huge jump.

I'm thinking your in the minority having owned many 2016 OLEDS lol..(not a bad thing by any means).

For me I put lots of time in to researching the TV I want (not saying you don't), return some if need be, but stay with a set for a while (these OLEDS aren't cheap).

If I'm not happy, I replace right away. I was in the habit of "buying for the sake of testing out" with stuff like headphones where the cost of entry isn't as high comparatively.

That being said I am glad I stopped buying stuff just to review it and think to myself: maybe the NEXT thing I buy will make me content.. always on the hunt for the elusive end-game-perfect-I'll-be-happy-forever set.

If I let every thing about a - what is already a fantastic set - bother me then I would be endlessly climbing down a rabbit hole of discontent.

I suppose it depends on what you're after, and if you were after most of the things you've mentioned then why ever purchase a 2016 model? (rhetorical question). PC Games at 120Hz and 4:4:4 chroma were never a priority for me and I seriously don't notice any banding or vignetting issues on the B6..

Believe me I'm happy I don't notice.

ABL isn't an issue for me either with my current settings: ISF Dark Room: OLED Light 60, Contrast 83, Brightness 52.. I honestly never notice ABL kick in..

Nope, just had the BB guy demo me film. I'm still riding off the high of my B6 purchase about a month ago.. the difference was seriously negligible to my eyes.

But again, I wasn't dissatisfied with the B6 picture by any means so I wasn't looking for anything specific (ie: lack of vignetting - as I never noticed any to begin with)but I do know what it is and as stated before I see it on a Toshiba at work (and some other shit LCD's)

I'm not saying the 2017 isn't a sweet TV or an upgrade from 2016..For me there's no way I would spend another couple grand to upgrade.. If your above issues were a concern for me then MAYBE.. but if that were the case then I would've returned the B6 to begin with.

Ranting aside, I'm happy you're happy.

I'm also wondering WHY the update from the TV itself isn't working.... I've had to install the last two updates via a flash drive and every time I check for an update from the TV itself - nothing.

What gives?!

Hmm I'm curious to hear if this is an issue for anyone else.

Is that with Wide or Normal color gamut?

Yawnny - I think that is a known bug with the Xbox unfortunately. Surprised it hasn't been fixed.

Wide (option is grayed out, can't change it to normal), and color saturation is set to 45 or 46 for SDR Game Mode on my sets. I much prefer playing games in SDR for now, so I haven't bothered calibrating HDR Game Mode.

EDIT: My apologies, Yawnny. You were actually asking about HDR Game mode. It shouldn't be much different, but I'll measure it later tonight to be sure when I get home.

Top Bottom