• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

ACH1LL3US

I hear you on the price drop thing, and on that point: when the 2017 prices drop to 2016 prices then the 2018 models will be right around the corner. Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Nothing wrong with this, just a lot of money to keep spending on TV's.

I'm thinking your in the minority having owned many 2016 OLEDS lol..(not a bad thing by any means).

For me I put lots of time in to researching the TV I want (not saying you don't), return some if need be, but stay with a set for a while (these OLEDS aren't cheap).

If I'm not happy, I replace right away. I was in the habit of "buying for the sake of testing out" with stuff like headphones where the cost of entry isn't as high comparatively.

That being said I am glad I stopped buying stuff just to review it and think to myself: maybe the NEXT thing I buy will make me content.. always on the hunt for the elusive end-game-perfect-I'll-be-happy-forever set.

If I let every thing about a - what is already a fantastic set - bother me then I would be endlessly climbing down a rabbit hole of discontent.

I suppose it depends on what you're after, and if you were after most of the things you've mentioned then why ever purchase a 2016 model? (rhetorical question). PC Games at 120Hz and 4:4:4 chroma were never a priority for me and I seriously don't notice any banding or vignetting issues on the B6..

Believe me I'm happy I don't notice.

ABL isn't an issue for me either with my current settings: ISF Dark Room: OLED Light 60, Contrast 83, Brightness 52.. I honestly never notice ABL kick in..

Nope, just had the BB guy demo me film. I'm still riding off the high of my B6 purchase about a month ago.. the difference was seriously negligible to my eyes.

But again, I wasn't dissatisfied with the B6 picture by any means so I wasn't looking for anything specific (ie: lack of vignetting - as I never noticed any to begin with)but I do know what it is and as stated before I see it on a Toshiba at work (and some other shit LCD's)

I'm not saying the 2017 isn't a sweet TV or an upgrade from 2016..For me there's no way I would spend another couple grand to upgrade.. If your above issues were a concern for me then MAYBE.. but if that were the case then I would've returned the B6 to begin with.

Ranting aside, I'm happy you're happy.

Hmm I'm curious to hear if this is an issue for anyone else.

I agree with what your saying, I did enjoy my B6 a lot and it is the best bang for the buck out there imho.

I am happy of the improvements they made this year, the mileage for other's will depend if the improvements are things that bother them with the previous gen oled's.

Also I agree 100% about keep buying thinking the next "hit" so to speak will bring contentness, it never comes. Right now I critiqued this new oled up and down and I can't see what they could improve next year to make me upgrade.

Make no mistake as soon as the 65c7 goes down to $2400 later this yr I will be getting it for the movie room :p

Okay, sure. I would certainly appreciate it!

Ok, I had to tweak color temp a tiny bit on the 65", from W44 to W46 under HDR Game mode with gamut set to normal. As for the 55", I've kept it at W45 as it's still the most accurate under both SDR and HDR for that individual panel. So, if you're around that ballpark it should be fine. =)

wege12

I just submitted my price protection claim to hopefully shave off $400 of my $1,500 B6 OLED purchase. Do these things typically go smoothly?

holygeesus

Banned
Why don't you guys pay for calibration of your oleds, instead of tweaking the settings every time.

It's a fair point. Would save a lot of headaches. I've been tempted to buy a meter and calibrate mine myself, but when you look at the price of them, you could pay a pro to do the same job.

It's a fair point. Would save a lot of headaches. I've been tempted to buy a meter and calibrate mine myself, but when you look at the price of them, you could pay a pro to do the same job.

The difference being you can re-use your meter on every subsequent TV you buy for the rest of your life.

Teach a man to fish, etc.

holygeesus

Banned
The difference being you can re-use your meter on every subsequent TV you buy for the rest of your life.

Teach a man to fish, etc.

I thought that when I bought an EyeOne. Used it once on my Kuro plasma, put it in a box for a few years. Tried to use it again and it had drifted so much it was unusable. Technology might have improved over the years, but meters don't have an indefinite lifespan unfortunately.

Yawnny

Why don't you guys pay for calibration of your oleds, instead of tweaking the settings every time.

Eh, maybe it's laziness. The only calibrators that advertise seem to be The Geek Squad, and I just don't like they're whole vibe. Color me apprehensive but these are the people that will charge you to hook up a PlayStation 4 and will snake oil you up the ass on cables.

Plus I'm not too worried about white balance settings, usually I have a couple questions to do with the way a TV manufacturer labels some of their settings then I'm good to go.

I've always been able to hit the mark on a pleasing picture to my eye and have learned much more about displays trying to adjust myself. and I just enjoy it.

It's sort of like always paying a computer shop to fix your computer meanwhile it can be self taught with a little ambition and it can even turn in to a fun hobby.

Yawnny

Ok, I had to tweak color temp a tiny bit on the 65", from W44 to W46 under HDR Game mode with gamut set to normal. As for the 55", I've kept it at W45 as it's still the most accurate under both SDR and HDR for that individual panel. So, if you're around that ballpark it should be fine. =)

Great, thanks for the update! I've settled on W45 in HDR Game and it's looking very natural.

shockdude

I've wondered why high-end TV's don't come with simple calibration units that can connect directly to the TV and auto-adjust everything. Similar concept to the calibration microphones that come with AV receivers.

Lima

I've wondered why high-end TV's don't come with simple calibration units that can connect directly to the TV and auto-adjust everything. Similar concept to the calibration microphones that come with AV receivers.

Because the hard and software is peanuts compared to what is needed for picture calibration. Calman and a decent meter are easily over $1000.

k1t4j

So guys I ended up going with a KS9000, 65' as it was was slightly cheaper and bigger than the 55' B6.

Now what settings should I be using with this bad boy on the PS4 to get the most our of HDR?

Theonik

Good colorimeters are quite expensive but variations on this concept have been done before. Sony even released pro monitors (Sony Artisan CRT) which came with an attached colorimeter that could be used to automatic screen calibration when needed.

Geneijin

Eh, maybe it's laziness. The only calibrators that advertise seem to be The Geek Squad, and I just don't like they're whole vibe. Color me apprehensive but these are the people that will charge you to hook up a PlayStation 4 and will snake oil you up the ass on cables.

Plus I'm not too worried about white balance settings, usually I have a couple questions to do with the way a TV manufacturer labels some of their settings then I'm good to go.

I've always been able to hit the mark on a pleasing picture to my eye and have learned much more about displays trying to adjust myself. and I just enjoy it.

It's sort of like always paying a computer shop to fix your computer meanwhile it can be self taught with a little ambition and it can even turn in to a fun hobby.
You'll never know what a reference quality picture looks like if you don't measure it. A professional calibration is balancing your grayscale and CMS. The computer analogy only works if you're buying your own i1 Display Pro 3 and using software like HCFR, CalMAN, ChromaPure, or Light Illusion to calibrate your own display(s). Otherwise, you're shooting into the dark going by eye alone.

Why are there not better TV speakers essentially. People who want better will either spend the extra money on a sound bar or have a dedicated home theater system already. The added cost wouldn't be appealing. A good inexpensive colorimeter is the i1 Display Pro 3 and that's $150 on a Black Friday sale if the cosmos aligns.

vpance

Got my KS9800. Ho lee shit it is bright. The HDR still impresses in daylight with the blinds open. Coming from a very dim and ABL plagued plasma to this is so freeing.

FALD, moth eye filter and the curve is such a good combo. Came in thinking the curve was a negative but it really isn't for me. Hardly notice it straight on and has the benefit of completely smearing whatever minor reflections there are, and the blacks end up looking super impressive as a result.

I think this model will go a bit overlooked as an option in 2017. Got it for way under $3K. To me this feels like Z9D's slightly unkempt younger brother, and I'm very cool with that at this price.

Yawnny

You'll never know what a reference quality picture looks like if you don't measure it. A professional calibration is balancing your grayscale and CMS. The computer analogy only works if you're buying your own i1 Display Pro 3 and using software like HCFR, CalMAN, ChromaPure, or Light Illusion to calibrate your own display(s). Otherwise, you're shooting into the dark going by eye alone.

Why are there not better TV speakers essentially. People who want better will either.

Oh I wasn't implying that I do know what reference quality picture looks like, hence my main point of laziness being a factor.

What I do know is that I'm currently happy with my picture going off general knowledge of what a natural picture should somewhat look like.

Maybe one day I'll see if there's any professional calibrators in my area and what the cost is like.

Got my KS9800. Ho lee shit it is bright. The HDR still impresses in daylight with the blinds open. Coming from a very dim and ABL plagued plasma to this is so freeing.

FALD, moth eye filter and the curve is such a good combo. Came in thinking the curve was a negative but it really isn't for me. Hardly notice it straight on and has the benefit of completely smearing whatever minor reflections there are, and the blacks end up looking super impressive as a result.

I think this model will go a bit overlooked as an option in 2017. Got it for way under $3K. To me this feels like Z9D's slightly unkempt younger brother, and I'm very cool with that at this price.

Congrats, that is a killer set for sure.

I wish it didn't have the curve as that is what ultimately killed it for me. I'm one of those people that doesn't want a curve period. It even slightly bothered me when I had the LG C6 which has an admittedly small curve.

I'm glad the Q9 doesn't have a curve this year but it is missing a FALD system. Always something!

vpance

Congrats, that is a killer set for sure.

I wish it didn't have the curve as that is what ultimately killed it for me. I'm one of those people that doesn't want a curve period. It even slightly bothered me when I had the LG C6 which has an admittedly small curve.

I'm glad the Q9 doesn't have a curve this year but it is missing a FALD system. Always something!

Yeah, I can see how it might bother some more than others. Guess I'm getting more forgiving as I get older too, lol.

Q9 is not FALD but early impressions look good despite that. It should still be an improvement on the 9800.

Shame the 7 and 8 don't really seem to be worth a look this year though. Samsung went too crazy with their pricing. A Q9 firesaled sometime next year would be interesting.

Lima

Spiders aren't very accurate. I wouldn't recommend them.

Get an i1 Display Pro 3 and download HCFR for starters, look up a basic calibration guide on avsforums, Curtpalme etc. and then go from there if you are interested in the subject matter. Even just doing a 2,10 or 20 point white balance calibration will do wonders for your picture accuracy. You don't even need to touch the CMS on most high end TV's as they are mostly very accurate even out of the box in their respective ISF, cinema modes whatever.

III-V

Spiders aren't very accurate. I wouldn't recommend them.

Get an i1 Display Pro 3 and download HCFR for starters, look up a basic calibration guide on avsforums, Curtpalme etc. and then go from there if you are interested in the subject matter. Even just doing a 2,10 or 20 point white balance calibration will do wonders for your picture accuracy. You don't even need to touch the CMS on most high end TV's as they are mostly very accurate even out of the box in their respective ISF, cinema modes whatever.

I would echo this sentiment note for note.

J-Rzez

The LG possitives on the 17 OLEDs sound great. Its going to be a hell of a battle for my money between Sony and LG. Especially if LG fixed motion issues. Im going to guess the LGs will have better input lag ratings because Sony loves their processing. Good thing is I barely game on said TV anymore, so that's moot.

Lima

The LG possitives on the 17 OLEDs sound great. Its going to be a hell of a battle for my money between Sony and LG. Especially if LG fixed motion issues. Im going to guess the LGs will have better input lag ratings because Sony loves their processing. Good thing is I barely game on said TV anymore, so that's moot.

They didn't. Their TrueMotion shit is still the same they had back when they started it with LCD's. Only up to 650 lines, terrible soap opera effect and lots of artifacts.

JRod2100

Neo Member
Is ielectrica a good seller? Looking to purchase a B6P.

Just bought my B6 from them two weeks ago. Everything was great, shipped quickly to local freight company, called me to deliver, unit is perfect, as advertised. Great experience overall.

Geneijin

Oh I wasn't implying that I do know what reference quality picture looks like, hence my main point of laziness being a factor.

What I do know is that I'm currently happy with my picture going off general knowledge of what a natural picture should somewhat look like.

Maybe one day I'll see if there's any professional calibrators in my area and what the cost is like.
My point was that a pleasing picture isn't necessarily an accurate one, and the most you could achieve by yourself without paying for anything is using test patterns to adjust brightness and contrast settings at best (blue filters are terrible). It's not really akin to fixing your PC yourself instead of the computer shop because there's a level of investment required to fix a grayscale than replacing an interchangeable part when hardware fails in a PC. If you're satisfied with your picture, that's fine. But you'll never know how a picture is suppose to look like if you don't have a reference point. So I doubt adjusting basic TV settings does much in all honesty. I've tried calibration discs like Disney: WOW and AVS HD 709. Nothing compares to an actual ISF calibration or even 3D LUT Tables on a TN monitor. If you're ever curious enough, I implore you to calibrate yourself.

ISF professional calibration service is anywhere between $350-500. It's one of the main reasons why people do it themselves besides the readily available information on how to calibrate.

Yawnny

So I doubt adjusting basic TV settings does much in all honesty.

You don't think changing color temperature from Warm 2 to Cold does much?

But you'll never know how a picture is suppose to look like if you don't have a reference point.
My reference points are other TV's i've owned, reading up on what makes a good picture after calibration, etc.. I know it's not using a professionally calibrated TV as a reference point.. but they're reference points. I certainly don't identify as one of those people that need to watch in torch mode for the "big game" to jump off my screen and tear at my eye balls. I do have an interest in good quality sound, picture, and hardware in general.

Honestly, I might get professional calibration done one of these days. I might not. I'm not going to go crazy knowing I have no idea what a "reference quality picture" looks like. I tweak a bit, I think it looks great, and I'm done... for the most part.

It may sound silly but after a calibration I would get the feeling like I can't even touch my settings again.. and that doesn't appeal to me.

Then there's the case of is anyone in my area also going to calibrate for HDR.

. If you're ever curious enough, I implore you to calibrate yourself.

Indeed I shall. It's not that I'm intentionally shying away from calibration I honestly just haven't had the ambition to sink any effort in to it.. I feel like getting a TV initially set up and testing tons of content on it already takes up a lot of time.. I just want to sit back and enjoy now knowing I think it looks great.

holygeesus

Banned
They didn't. Their TrueMotion shit is still the same they had back when they started it with LCD's. Only up to 650 lines, terrible soap opera effect and lots of artifacts.

Still looking like the best gaming set though with 21ms input lag. Philips is at least double that, and if Sony beat it, I'd be surprised.

wege12

Other than the fact it's not higher than 650 lines, I don't have any issues with LG's trumotion. In fact, I really like it as it really helps with keeping the image more clear. I don't notice any of the artifacts everyone mentions and I use it while gaming. I must not be that sensitive to it and input lag for that matter.

holygeesus

Banned
I notice a few people on the AVS Forum are mentioning 'judder' on the Sony demos for the A1. Apparently it might be related to the speaker situation and playing the audio too loud. I don't think there are any demo units here in the UK yet.

Lima

I notice a few people on the AVS Forum are mentioning 'judder' on the Sony demos for the A1. Apparently it might be related to the speaker situation and playing the audio too loud. I don't think there are any demo units here in the UK yet.

Using inbuilt speakers LUL

holygeesus

Banned
Using inbuilt speakers LUL

When they make such a big deal out of the tech, it will be a surprise if Sony allow a speaker system creating issues, pass QC, so I'm sceptical. If Sony produce an OLED set, using an LG panel, that has the same motion issues as the 2016 range though, I think the internet might implode.

wege12

What is your opinion of the B6 OLED internal speaker? Being an internal speaker, I am very impressed! By far the best TV speakers I have ever had or heard.

Chumley

Banned
Anyone know if this seller is legit? To be fair, I haven't been following prices, but $900 seems like a crazy deal for a B6.

That price is nuts, I don't really understand how they can be selling it brand new at $400 cheaper than the lowest used price on Amazon. Seller seems to have a good rep on eBay but I'd still be suspicious as hell.

Giever

That price is nuts, I don't really understand how they can be selling it brand new at $400 cheaper than the lowest used price on Amazon. Seller seems to have a good rep on eBay but I'd still be suspicious as hell.

Do you know what would be the worst that could happen? I don't buy off of eBay often, but as far as I know they tend to favor buyer protection. So I wonder if all I have to lose is a bunch of time and effort rather than actually getting scammed or something.

Chumley

Banned
Do you know what would be the worst that could happen? I don't buy off of eBay often, but as far as I know they tend to favor buyer protection. So I wonder if all I have to lose is a bunch of time and effort rather than actually getting scammed or something.

Just time and effort is really all you have to lose if it's bad. They do take the buyers word over everything pretty much. Only way it goes sour is if the panel somehow dies after the 30 day window.

holygeesus

Banned
Just time and effort is really all you have to lose if it's bad. They do take the buyers word over everything pretty much. Only way it goes sour is if the panel somehow dies after the 30 day window.

Wouldn't you still have the year warranty with LG or does consumer law work differently out there?

Other than the fact it's not higher than 650 lines, I don't have any issues with LG's trumotion. In fact, I really like it as it really helps with keeping the image more clear. I don't notice any of the artifacts everyone mentions and I use it while gaming. I must not be that sensitive to it and input lag for that matter.

Well what trumotion settings do you use?

julrik

I purchased the 55C7 Saturday from Value Electronics in NY, met Robert and his wife, very nice peeps and I am using it exclusively for games and using my Leo Bodnar tester the C7 will do 21.4ms in pc mode with game picture mode and HDMI deep color mode on for 4:4:4, this is a massive improvement over any 2016 oled imho.

Everyone using the C7 for games need to use PC mode with game picture mode and deep color enabled as this gives the clearest and lowest lag possible on the tv, no need to use game mode outside of PC mode due to 4:2:0 in that mode.

Also I have to say with oled light at 35 which is what I used on my 65B6, the C7 is almost blinding with full screen content, NO noticeable ABL anymore, thank God!!!

2017 LG oled's are a major improvement for gaming versus 2016 ( I had a 65B6 and a 55E6).

Main improvements for gaming that I have seen:

1:) much lower lag 21.4ms by my Leo Bodnar
2:) significantly less lag with 4:4:4 in pc mode, 21.4ms!!
3:) NO ABL
4:) Massive improvement in uniformity, no vignetting, very minor vertical banding, 80% improvement over the 2016's and I honestly couldn't stand the uniformity on the 2016's.
5:)No more magenta tint anti glare filter, now looks jet black and really improves contrast
6:) Undefeatable edge enhancement is now gone, 2016's had edge enhancement that couldn't be turned off even at sharpness at zero, with 2017 the sharpness at 10 gets rid of edge enhancement and has no added sharpness, so a pristine image that when using for pc monitor and gaming is very noticeable!
7:) 120hz native at 1080p! Will try other resolutions, looks like I can get 4k native at 120hz at 4:2:0 with custom edid in Nvidia control panel !!!!

Any questions let me know!!
Is the colour gamut still locked to Wide in Game Mode?

Top Bottom