• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Caayn

There aren't any, that's why. No game runs at 720p on PS4.
They exist, just not in the same quantity as on other consoles.
I *think* it is a prerequisite that all PS4 Pro titles, have to run at 1080p as a minimum now too.
Doubt that that's more than a mere guideline.
Ouch. So team 2018 for Samsungs as well?

LilJoka

Was at my neighbours yesterday, they had the same 42" PDP428XD Pioneer Kuro.
That is now UNWATCHABLE. How the heck did I watch it. This is after a month with a 65" B6. 4 player mario kart almost impossible to play.

My dad was just like, this is mad! And this is the least suspecting person to give a dam.

holygeesus

Banned
Depending on the mode. Ark(720p) and Nioh(rare drops to 720p) run below 1080.

But I'll stop as feel that we're getting a bit off-topic for this thread.

Yeah they probably get around the 1080p rule because they do offer at least one mode that doesn't drop from 1080p via dynamic resolution, albeit incurring performance issues by sticking to the 1080p guideline.

Im a bit confused with the HDR settings on my new OLED55b6v - i followed the digital foundry vid and i dont seem to have the same options as they did.

If i go to picture mode i dont get the HDR options that they had - all i get is HDR effect. Does the tv need to be reciving a HDR signal for those options to appear? Ive managed to update the firmware to 04.31.10 (thanks to a gaffer)

anyone able to say what im missing?

So.

Is the B6 input lag firmware update out in Europe yet?

And it's still a thing that game mode locks to wide colour gamut, right?

So.

I think its the 04.31.10 which that digital foundry vid says is out but not for the UK for some reason - i downloaded it from LG website.

I find it bizarre LG hasn't fixed the wide colour issue for game mode, that sucks being forced to have garish oversaturated colours, but I guess peops can adjust global colour to alleviate it.

Im a bit confused with the HDR settings on my new OLED55b6v - i followed the digital foundry vid and i dont seem to have the same options as they did.

If i go to picture mode i dont get the HDR options that they had - all i get is HDR effect. Does the tv need to be reciving a HDR signal for those options to appear? Ive managed to update the firmware to 04.31.10 (thanks to a gaffer)

anyone able to say what im missing?

Yes, you need to feed the tv an HDR signal for the HDR picture modes to appear (same for Dolby Vision).

So.

Yes and yes.

Yes, you need to feed the tv an HDR signal for the HDR picture modes to appear (same for Dolby Vision).

Yes and yes.

How much of an issue is it? Very few games use WCG, so I'd imagine it's rather annoying for 99% of games. I'd mostly use the B6 for gaming, so its gaming prowess is quite important to me :)

How much of an issue is it? Very few games use WCG, so I'd imagine it's rather annoying for 99% of games. I'd mostly use the B6 for gaming, so its gaming prowess is quite important to me :)

It can be mitigated by lowering color a bit below 50, this still won't give you an accurate picture though. At first I was bothered by it, but now I don't really notice it anymore. It would be great if they fix it (please everyone bother support with it) but I don't think it is a dealbreaker even if you primarily game on the set.

It can be mitigated by lowering color a bit below 50, this still won't give you an accurate picture though. At first I was bothered by it, but now I don't really notice it anymore. It would be great if they fix it (please everyone bother support with it) but I don't think it is a dealbreaker even if you primarily game on the set.

Right, okay. Might be a dealbreaker to me, or at least, a reason to wait for the 7-series instead.

Does anyone know the current input lag outside of game mode on B6/C6/E6? Aka, accurate colour mode? :)

KevinG

Never realized that there's a Clear Panel Noise option on my B6.

Doing that now. Was watching The Dark Knight and fiddled with the settings and matched them to the best of DF and Rtings, but still thought something must be off. Just "noise" that I couldn't get out of the picture.

Then I notice this setting and wonder how I missed it. Haha.

I am not a professional.

BumRush

Doing that now. Was watching The Dark Knight and fiddled with the settings and matched them to the best of DF and Rtings, but still thought something must be off. Just "noise" that I couldn't get out of the picture.

I am not a professional.

Have you checked AVSforums? They might have more detailed discussion around each and every settings choice

KevinG

Have you checked AVSforums? They might have more detailed discussion around each and every settings choice
I have. I have to say that I don't fully understand what I'm reading.

Felt like I understood things pretty well the last time I bought a TV on my own volition, but that was in 2007.

With the B6, I just went with why was the most highly recommended and what looked immediately amazing when I saw it in Best Buy.

It almost looks like slight static over the picture. I can mess with a few things to get it to go away, but it "ruins colo accuracy" from what I've been reading. Nobody ever recommended the Clear Panel Noise option, but I have a feeling that's what I've been missing.

ACH1LL3US

Can the 2016/2017 LG OLED's take a true 120hz input from PC at 1080p?

The 2017 LG Oled's can take 120hz 1080p image with no issues at all!! Super smooth image and a lot less blur at 120hz!

I am surprised more people are not talking about that here :0

Also under 150nits there is no ABL, even on full screen white, this is really a huge improvement over 2016's.

holygeesus

Banned

I am not a professional.

Clear panel noise is how you manually start the hour long compensation cycle. It won't do anything about noise in the picture. Might be worth rebooting the TV as it may just be a bug.

Yawnny

Just "noise" that I couldn't get out of the picture.

Are you sure it's not just intentional film grain? I find film grain is a touch more pronounced when it's 1080P being upscaled.

On a related note, even though I think the IMAX portions of Dark Knight (ie: Intro heist, bat chase) look spectacular, I find the rest of the movie leaves a lot to be desired as far as Blue Ray quality goes.

MazeHaze

Banned
Are you sure it's not just intentional film grain? I find film grain is a touch more pronounced when it's 1080P being upscaled.

On a related note, even though I think the IMAX portions of Dark Knight (ie: Intro heist, bat chase) look spectacular, I find the rest of the movie leaves a lot to be desired as far as Blue Ray quality goes.
Film grain can also look awful on 4k stuff. All the Marvel Netflix shows havy heavy film grain that looks like ass. Never understood why people butcher a good image with digital noise.

Wiped89

Okay, so I have changed with Currys three times (!) And they must be sick of me, but I've finally decided to stick with the LG OLED. It's smaller than the 65 inch Samsung but tbh I've fallen in love with the picture now. Dat OLED is stunning.

It's still terrible at upscaling, though. And isn't as crisp or as bright as a Samsung. But the colours... just unmatched. Does OLED take some time to break in? Because the colour pop and even the brightness is much more pronounced than when I first set it up.

To the above poster, yes this TV shows up film grain on everything. It's intentional. Although I'm not a fan of putting the grain on blurays.

So Currys are delivering the Samsung tomorrow and have told me to hold onto it and swap for the LG, since it was too late to cancel the delivery. I can't hold onto my current LG because HDMI 1 port still doesn't work.

To be fair to them they have let me swap it over multiple times and been really good about it!

Yawnny

It's still terrible at upscaling, though.

Really? As far as other 2016 sets I tried and compared to my Sony XBR-HX909 the B6 holds up great. 1080P upscaled punched my expectations in the face when I first saw it..
I've tested having my Xbox One S do the upscaling and the difference is negligible to my eyes. In my opinion it's about as good as an upscale is going to look.

Okay, so I have changed with Currys three times (!) And they must be sick of me, but I've finally decided to stick with the LG OLED

This reminds me of back in the day when I returned a Sharp Quatros, Panasonic VT25, another Sharp, then finally ended up on my Sony.. but that's what it takes sometimes! Best Buy had such looks of "WTF Really?" every time I walked back in...

Wiped89

Really? As far as other 2016 sets I tried and compared to my Sony XBR-HX909 the B6 holds up great. 1080P upscaled punched my expectations in the face when I first saw it..
I've tested having my Xbox One S do the upscaling and the difference is negligible to my eyes. In my opinion it's about as good as an upscale is going to look.

This reminds me of back in the day when I returned a Sharp Quatros, Panasonic VT25, another Sharp, then finally ended up on my Sony.. but that's what it takes sometimes! Best Buy had such looks of "WTF Really?" every time I walked back in...

I think I've been spoiled by my old Samsung set, which made HD content look so crisp and bright, whereas some upscaled pictures look soft on the LG, which is one of the things which initially threw me off. It depends on the original source quality,this TV can show up huge differences in shows on what should be equal source quality, including blocks of artefacts and fuzz. Some TV HD and Netflix looks a bit 'tired' on this TV. Other shows look amazing.

Well I hope this is the end of it now... I don't think I can take any more calls to the sales team...! Plus the price of the OLED has gone back up by £200 and I don't think they'd waive the difference a second time...

Samsung arrives tomorrow and it won't leave its box before it goes back!

molnizzle

The 2017 LG Oled's can take 120hz 1080p image with no issues at all!! Super smooth image and a lot less blur at 120hz!

I am surprised more people are not talking about that here :0

Also under 150nits there is no ABL, even on full screen white, this is really a huge improvement over 2016's.

oh shit son!

2017 it is.

KevinG

Tested out Interstellar too, and I think it's just something I never noticed about Nolan's non-IMAX footage. Noticeably grainier than the IMAX scenes.

Never had a TV that was big enough or good enough to make those hints noticeable.

BumRush

Tested out Interstellar too, and I think it's just something I never noticed about Nolan's non-IMAX footage. Noticeably grainier than the IMAX scenes.

Never had a TV that was big enough or good enough to make those hints noticeable.

Honestly, you're definitely going to notice things like that more now lol :(

Lima

giphy.gif

Whoops I posted this in another thread but will post here....

ok i have another stoopid question...

Is there a way / what do i need to do to enable HDR on pc? or is this even a thing? Ive a Titan X (bought before the 1080ti, doh) and i cant find or see any settings that would enable HDR and allow me to use the TV HDR settings (OLED55b6v).

Ive tried googleing but cant find an answer - it seems weird that a ps4 pro would have the options but not my pc? am i a victim of pc master racism?

Wiped89

I thought the same. It's weird when you expect everything to pop and then you put a film on and it's grainy as hell...

Yawnny

Hell yeah, all films need to have the clarity and vibrancy of these clips.

http://demo-uhd3d.com/categorie.php?tag=hdr

What player can play these? I've downloaded some 4K clips but VLC is being a bitch about them. I'll see a black screen, then it will jump and show basically a screenshot like it's trying it's darndest to render, but can't.

I have a 980ti GPU. 4K PC Games run fine.

Any ideas?

Edit: 5K Player seems to tout that it handles 4K playback nicely.. I'll wait for GAF's opinion on the matter.

Taggen86

Whoops I posted this in another thread but will post here....

ok i have another stoopid question...

Is there a way / what do i need to do to enable HDR on pc? or is this even a thing? Ive a Titan X (bought before the 1080ti, doh) and i cant find or see any settings that would enable HDR and allow me to use the TV HDR settings (OLED55b6v).

Ive tried googleing but cant find an answer - it seems weird that a ps4 pro would have the options but not my pc? am i a victim of pc master racism?

Windows does not support HDR yet. For HDR content, the display will automatically shift to HDR and 10 bit color using 4:2:0 color space when it receives the metadata from HDR games. Both Mass effect andromeda and resident evil 7 support HDR on pc. Just start these games and enable HDR in the in game option and HDR should be enabled as long as you have UHD deep color on for the pc hdmi input (via the tv settings). I am currently playing mass effect andromeda in HDR on my pc and it is the best HDR implementation so far according to me. The HDR is even better than horizon on the b6 oled. Looks insane, especially in the temples below ground.

Windows does not support HDR yet. For HDR content, the display will automatically shift to HDR and 10 bit color using 4:2:0 color space when it receives the dynamic metadata from HDR games. Both Mass effect andromeda and resident evil 7 support HDR on pc. Just start these games and enable HDR in the in game option and HDR should be enabled as long as you have UHD deep color on for the pc hdmi input (via the tv settings). I am currently playing mass effect andromeda in HDR on my pc and it is the best HDR implementation so far according to me. The HDR is even better than horizon on the b6 oled. Looks insane, especially in the temples below ground.

Ah. ok. cool. cheers for the explanation.

What player can play these? I've downloaded some 4K clips but VLC is being a bitch about them. I'll see a black screen, then it will jump and show basically a screenshot like it's trying it's darndest to render, but can't.

I have a 980ti GPU. 4K PC Games run fine.

Any ideas?

Edit: 5K Player seems to tout that it handles 4K playback nicely.. I'll wait for GAF's opinion on the matter.

Stick em on a USB stick and play them directly from the TV.

Jijidasu

So, I went and picked up an LGB6 yesterday!
I managed to get the price down to around 230,000 yen (2300~2400 USD I guess).

Unfortunately, firmware is a wee bit behind here. Still no HDR game mode. Appears to be firmware 4.30.65, though it doesn't arrive until Monday so I cannot be sure. Am I going to suffer using this firmware?

Long shot, but anyone know how long I will have to wait for firmware to catch up? I haven't found any buyers forums for Japanese owners, even 2ch.

I sent an email to LG support Japan in hopes of getting some info.

Was at BB today for unrelated reasons and asked the guy in the TV section if they would be price matching B&H on the 6th when they have C7 in-store and he said yes. Will report back in a week :p.

Top Bottom