• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

reKon

Banned
For a 65 E6 yes absolutely.

I recognize that's it's a great deal, but I wouldn't exactly call that a steal. A steal would be more close to 2 grand, which some Slickdeals have been able to come to matching through the whole credit card price protection mechanism with the B6 at least. I know this is the 3D version though so I'm not certain how low people have gotten this one for. Maybe $2300?

bender

What time is it?
No offense but your Kuro was surpassed quite a while ago, even by other flagship Panasonic plasmas.

I'd never take offense over a television. :)

It's a 9 year-old set so I'd expect it to be outdated. I don't really have a desire to upgrade and wouldn't even consider if not for the set starting to have issues.

Really interesting watching Planet Earth II on my parents' Samsung KS8000 vs. my Sony 930D, and how much better the HDR is on the 930D. The importance of peak brightness and local dimming is real. Definitely understand how 2017 and future models with higher peak brightness are going to further enhance the HDR picture. At the same time, it will be curious to see what the practical limits of brightness are, however, as a lot of scenes in Planet Earth II already do a number on my irises because of the rapid switching between light and dark scenes. As I've said before, movies will need to be mastered with this in mind, especially when transitioning between scenes, and I do think there's going to be a practical limit to brightness, even for small areas on-screen. Hopefully, we'll be able to get some additional contrast through better back levels on LCDs and hit a nice balancing point.

I recognize that's it's a great deal, but I wouldn't exactly call that a steal. A steal would be more close to 2 grand, which some Slickdeals have been able to come to matching through the whole credit card price protection mechanism with the B6 at least. I know this is the 3D version though so I'm not certain how low people have gotten this one for. Maybe $2300?

the e6 is significantly more expensive then the b6, so that's not really a great comparison

a 65" e6 for 2600 is a steal. I paid $3200 which was a great deal at the time

the c6/b6 are a better comparison from a pricing standpoint

Chumley

Banned

The e6 isn't just the 3D one, it has a sound bar and glass casing, and i think some other internal things that edge it out in some areas over the b6.

Lowest I've ever seen the 65 at was 3k till now.

vpance

Really interesting watching Planet Earth II on my parents' Samsung KS8000 vs. my Sony 930D, and how much better the HDR is on the 930D. The importance of peak brightness and local dimming is real. Definitely understand how 2017 and future models with higher peak brightness are going to further enhance the HDR picture. At the same time, it will be curious to see what the practical limits of brightness are, however, as a lot of scenes in Planet Earth II already do a number on my irises because of the rapid switching between light and dark scenes. As I've said before, movies will need to be mastered with this in mind, especially when transitioning between scenes, and I do think there's going to be a practical limit to brightness, even for small areas on-screen. Hopefully, we'll be able to get some additional contrast through better back levels on LCDs and hit a nice balancing point.

I thought the KS gets significantly brighter than the 930D? At least according to reviews.

After a few days of running through my 9800 I can understand the need for 2000, 3000+ nits. 1400 is bright but for speculars like light glinting off water, fire, the sun and whatnot, more is better. Samsung is on to something with the edge lit Q9 hitting 2000+ nits and pulling FALD like dimming performance, but that price is crazy.

Jigolo

I hated warm color temps for so long and avoided them for the longest because I just couldn't get used to them. Too yellow for my liking and I thought the whites looked like piss... and suddenly today I turn on my living room TV and found it to be too blue for my liking all of a sudden and changed it to the warmer, more accurate tone. Uhh I guess that's a good thing. It's definitely easier on the eyes and the whites don't look yellow to me anymore. I've gone and changed my monitors and other TV as well..... whites don't look like piss.... just white

This is so strange....

TheBoss1

I hated warm color temps for so long and avoided them for the longest because I just couldn't get used to them. Too yellow for my liking and I thought the whites looked like piss... and suddenly today I turn on my living room TV and found it to be too blue for my liking all of a sudden and changed it to the warmer, more accurate tone. Uhh I guess that's a good thing. It's definitely easier on the eyes and the whites don't look yellow to me anymore. I've gone and changed my monitors and other TV as well..... whites don't look like piss.... just white

This is so strange....

Your eyes are probably adjusting to the warm color temperature. It will always look like a piss filter or too blue when you first switch from the one you have been conditioned to use over a long period of time.

Wessie

Banned
Mr Wonderful, as you are an owner of the Sony 930D can you give me a quick run down of the good and the bad of the tv? Also, if you do any gaming on it is the input lag okay or does it become an issue for racing games or twitch shooters.

Wessie

Banned
http://uk.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x930e/settings

Game Mode isn't that bad, especially in 4k:
1080p @ 60Hz 42.3 ms
1080p With Interpolation 101.7 ms
1080p @ 60Hz Outside Game Mode 104.8 ms
1080p @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 42.3 ms
4k @ 60Hz 25.7 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 25.7 ms
4k @ 60Hz + HDR 25.8 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 + HDR 25.8 ms

This is for a different model. I have the 930D (9300D in Australia and Uk I think). I wish the input lag was that low but from rtings website I can see they have it around 60ms with 4K and HDR.

Reddline

Neo Member
The Beach Camera deal for the E6 is dead. So glad I was able to jump in on that deal, can't wait to get my hands on it!

J-Rzez

Hmm, so the A1E hits 100% DCI? And its smooth gradient feature works as intended and expected? Great.

I'm not concerned with its brightness level one bit. Coming from a EF9500 I can tell you its ample enough in a med to dark room. I watched a Z9 in a dark room and its HDR was ridiculous, and not in a good way. It does as it claims and gives you overpowering brightness, but that's not my idea of a good picture when it becomes distracting and making you wince.

31ms, tolerable, but hopefully they'll lower it if enough people get on them. May come at the cost of processing though.

Its either the A1E or C7 (etc) for me. The LEDs are out of the question for me. Ill grab a 900e for pc gaming and call it a day. Though it is tempting to grab up a 55" OLED for that as well.

Madness

What is crazy is that the anecdotal reports and videos I have seen have the nits skew closer to 800+ on the A1E. Coupled with fact it is LG OLED panel, over 100%+ DCI, should be more than enough to give you some of the best HDR imagery you have seen. These sets really need to be reviewed soon in depth.

Rbk_3

The KS8000 has higher light output and a significantly better contrast ratio. I think you may be a little biased in this assessment.

Kyoufu

What is crazy is that the anecdotal reports and videos I have seen have the nits skew closer to 800+ on the A1E. Coupled with fact it is LG OLED panel, over 100%+ DCI, should be more than enough to give you some of the best HDR imagery you have seen. These sets really need to be reviewed soon in depth.

I'm surprised at the reports of lower brightness as well. They're all using the same panels with 3D filters disabled. Not sure what's going on there if that's really the case.

I hope this cable related and not my TV..I've seen this before on a TV at my parent's house. Never experienced it on my previous TV which I used the same cables on.

Occasionally my screen will blink and go snowy when I'm watching my Apple TV. Sometimes it will fix itself, but other times I have to unplug and replug the HDMI. I use an audio receiver so there are a lot of potentials for a connection coming loose I guess, but it seems odd that a cable could just come loose like that without some type of movement..like I said never had this issue with my last TV. Currently have a B6 by the way.

Really just hoping it is a cable thing! Anyone know for sure?

vpance

I'm not concerned with its brightness level one bit. Coming from a EF9500 I can tell you its ample enough in a med to dark room. I watched a Z9 in a dark room and its HDR was ridiculous, and not in a good way. It does as it claims and gives you overpowering brightness, but that's not my idea of a good picture when it becomes distracting and making you wince.

Generally I think you need a bit of viewing time to get acclimated to a new level of brightness, especially if you're used to 200-400 APL in a dark room. IME I don't feel nearly as uncomfortable now as I did on day one, and when I squint it's either because of a full white field or a bright daytime scene that impresses me because it feels closer to as it would in rl, so I'm not bothered by having to do that. Though I wonder if what you saw with the Z9 was set a step too far.

Personally I'd never go full dark room with any set calibrated over 1000 nits. You have to strike a balance between being able to appreciate a strong HDR effect and the preference of a theater type environment when you watch a panel with high nits, for the sake of your own viewing comfort.

J-Rzez

Generally I think you need a bit of viewing time to get acclimated to a new level of brightness, especially if you're used to 200-400 APL in a dark room. IME I don't feel nearly as uncomfortable now as I did on day one, and when I squint it's either because of a full white field or a bright daytime scene that impresses me because it feels closer to as it would in rl, so I'm not bothered by having to do that. Though I wonder if what you saw with the Z9 was set a step too far.

Personally I'd never go full dark room with any set calibrated over 1000 nits. You have to strike a balance between being able to appreciate a strong HDR effect and the preference of a theater type environment when you watch a panel with high nits, for the sake of your own viewing comfort.

Being a plasma and oled guy, im just not into brightness. I can notice a bit of bloom/halo on the Z9 in a dark room at calibrated levels, and it shows in dark HDR scenes. It isn't bad, its the pinnacle of LED at this point to me, but I'm biased to those darks.

Yeah, I'm curious as well. I highly doubt its around the levels my EF9500 is. Will wait for Rtings, and of course, in person.

BlizzyAzz

This is for a different model. I have the 930D (9300D in Australia and Uk I think). I wish the input lag was that low but from rtings website I can see they have it around 60ms with 4K and HDR.

I'm sorry my bad, you won the 2016 Model (congrats for the win). Don't worry about it to much it's still an excellent TV, i personally think that the slim back drive on the sides is better than the new one on the top and bottom of the tv.

I think you'll be very satisfied with it :)

http://uk.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x930d

1080p @ 60Hz 36.2 ms
1080p With Interpolation 67.0 ms
1080p @ 60Hz Outside Game Mode 71.7 ms
1080p @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 36.2 ms
4k @ 60Hz 59.1 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 59.1 ms
4k @ 60Hz + HDR 58.8 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 + HDR 58.5 ms

Update 11/02/2016: After the last firmware update (PKG3.531.0108NAB), the input lag is reduced for both 1080p and 4k resolution, which is a big improvement over the last results. The table above has been updated with these new values. Input lag under game mode with a resolution of 1080p is now good enough for casual gamers (it was over 50ms before the last firmware update).

Under a 4k resolution, it is better than what we had before (SDR was 75ms and HDR was 110ms), but it is still a bit too high even for casual games.

Some addtional Video reviews:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEQCK3vBwsQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cma-SOCj6hs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXkcH_iqW1c

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Every time I think of seriously getting an OLED something about my VT60 impresses me. Persona 5 looks great on it.

holygeesus

Banned

They are being reviewed in depth. That is where the nits reports are coming from. If true, I guess it could be a result of the Sony processing dimming the image somewhat. The lag isn't great either. I think mid-40s was reported, but I'm not sure if that was just at 1080p. Sony fixed the Z9 gaming lag though, so all is not lost there.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Where were all these people saying input lag would be ok on the 930d when I was asking? ;)

I thought I would give some quick thoughts on the 55x900e I purchased a week and half ago. Across the board I am using rings settings. For gaming HDR I am 100% satisfied. The difference is quite something when you have never experienced it before, and IMHO HDR is much more of a visual upgrade than 4k. I have only played Horizon and Resogun but they impress quite a bit. I guess the lag is rated in the ~30ms range but I certainly do not notice any at all.

Movie wise I have watched a couple of Jessica Jones episodes and they looked great as well, though the impact is not quite as large as with games. My only concern was watching a Blu Ray of Toy Story I noticed some judder, even with 24p enabled. I am not sure what motion settings to use; True Cinema did not really fix it. I have not watched any other Blu Ray movies so I am not sure how bad it is.

Viewing angles bedevil me in an OCD way, but I understand that is part of the deal. I amp coming from a plasma so that is the only thing that makes me pine for it. Other than that I am really happy with this TV. I never thought I would get an LCD TV but I did and I like it.

I went with LCD for higher peak brightness (often watching in a quite bright room) and a Sony for the motion handling/upscaling. From those more educated than me this TV is being talked about as the mid-tier set to beat this year, and when it drops in price even further will be a steal. If you are on the fence I can recommend it for sure.

BumRush

Every time I think of seriously getting an OLED something about my VT60 impresses me. Persona 5 looks great on it.

That was Horizon for me. I'm sure it is mindblowing in 4K HDR, but it looked like witchcraft on the Panny nonetheless. Waiting for 2018 to pull the trigger on an OLED is bearable with a plasma.

ACH1LL3US

Great news!

I have done further testing on my new LG C7 oled and in PC mode with HDMI deep color on ( to get 4:4:4) the input lag for both ISF modes is 21.2ms!!

This means we can now have the same exact low lag as game mode but without the gimped colors!! This is pretty huge if your into having an accurate picture for games and still getting the lowest lag possible on the tv!

ISF Bright in PC mode:

33119516313_dea04101d8_h.jpg
[/url]Oled C7 PC ISF lag times by CoolHandsM3, on Flickr[/img]

ISF Dark in PC mode:

33089019804_f8baea9f20_h.jpg

Great news!

I have done further testing on my new LG C7 oled and in PC mode with HDMI deep color on ( to get 4:4:4) the input lag for both ISF modes is 21.2ms!!

This means we can now have the same exact low lag as game mode but without the gimped colors!! This is pretty huge if your into having an accurate picture for games and still getting the lowest lag possible on the tv!

ISF Bright in PC mode:

ISF Dark in PC mode:

Hi Blackvette94. ;-)

The C7 is a dream come true for core gamers. Wow. LG nailed it!

Jigolo

Great news!

ISF Bright in PC mode:

ISF Dark in PC mode:

LG doing gaming gods work. 1 frame next year pls

ACH1LL3US

Hi Blackvette94. ;-)

The C7 is a dream come true for core gamers. Wow. LG nailed it!

Yup!! The improvements on the 2017 Oled's for gaming is major!! Someone over at LG must have realized that gamers want the best image too!

LG fixed the following in the 2017's:

No ABL
PC mode with 21ms of lag in ISF and game modes with 4:4:4
Removed permanent edge enhancement
Removed pink anti glare filter
Added 120hz 1080p support
Siginificantly better uniformity
Much better low level black ( no more crushed blacks )

Considering LG is doing a tick tock approach for their oled tvs and the 2017's are a tock, I have no idea what the 2018's could do to make me want to upgrade and that is saying a lot!

ACH1LL3US

Samsung is doing awesome with input lag on the new 65Q9!

The Q9 gets 18ms input lag in PC mode ( outside of PC mode shows 21ms in game mode ) with 4:4:4 and you can use any picture setting as game mode in pc mode does not reduce it anymore!

So it looks like Samsung and Lg are being serious about lg and pc use as now their pc modes are the best way to play games.

The fact we can now play games at 4:4:4 and use any picture settings with the lowest lag is incredible, only took 15 yrs for tv makers to get to this point haha!

Yup!! The improvements on the 2017 Oled's for gaming is major!! Someone over at LG must have realized that gamers want the best image too!

No ABL

Considering LG is doing a tick tock approach for their oled tvs and the 2017's are a tock, I have no idea what the 2018's could do to make me want to upgrade and that is saying a lot!

If it weren't for you, we maybe never know that you COULD have low input lag along with a accurate picture. Thank you for testing this.

Most review sites only test game mode with the Leo Bodnar and be done with it!

The 2017 LG OLED's have really great improvements over the 2016 models. No ABL under 150 nits and better near blacks is HUGE for me.

And most important of all, input lag is now on par with the fastest Samsung LCD's.

I will buy this TV.

Gitaroo

This only applies to the 2017 line up right? Meanwhile sony is still scratching their ass trying to figure out what it means to be a gaming tv when they are actually in the game business.

asdad123

So my LG E6 screen panel is getting replaced on Wednesday. Does anyone have any idea what this would entail? I tried finding teardown videos/tutorials online for this model, but can not find any.

Just wondering what I'm in for seeing the tech do on Wednesday to make sure everything is smooth.

This only applies to the 2017 line up right? Meanwhile sony is still scratching their ass trying to figure out what it means to be a gaming tv when they are actually in the game business.

Yes, the 2017 LG OLED's, they all have the same SoC and picture quality. That's true about Sony TV's. They had great gaming TV's though, but that is a long time ago.

Here the input lag of Sony's A1 OLED. Come on now...

jpg images

Christ

well even with an update this may take a few revsions ......

It's not great but it can be a lot worse. Here is Philips take on OLED for 2017.

Waiting for Panasonic...

photos upload

In 1080p....

Very sharp. But still, it's too high if you have the base PS4, Xbox One, Switch, Wii U or any other previous generation console connected to the A1.
But it can be resolved with a firmware update, LG also did this with their 2016 OLED's.

III-V

Nice, thank you. Can I calibrate as many TVs and monitors as I like with the i1? I read a review that it is only able to calibrate the one monitor that is connected to the PC?! Seems kinda strange. Can I also calibrate OLED/LCD/etc. ?

The i1DP comes with some software from the mnfr, that can be used to calibrate your PC monitor. It is automated and does a reasonable job. I have used it on my work PC monitors that I don't do any critical viewing on.

To calibrate your TV, as many as you want, as many times as you want, etc., I reccomend to use the AVSCHD (free from AVS) disc, and run the HCFR software to track your measurements, also free. This is not automated, you will run it yourself.

Basically you run the disc on your PS4, and run the software from your PC with the i1DP on the tv monitor. You take measuresurements of the set, make adjustments and then remeasure until you are satisfied with the result.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...ay-mp4-calibration.html#/topics/948496?page=1

KevinG

So my LG E6 screen panel is getting replaced on Wednesday. Does anyone have any idea what this would entail? I tried finding teardown videos/tutorials online for this model, but can not find any.

Just wondering what I'm in for seeing the tech do on Wednesday to make sure everything is smooth.

My screen was replaced in less than 20 minutes. My tech was super quick and efficient.

I found a tear down of the B6 online, basically the official training manual for the B6 from LG for their technicians. I think I posted it in here couple weeks ago right before my appointment.

He basically took all the innards off the back and put them on the new panel. The E6 is different in design from the B6 though.

No ABL

Great news, major props to LG for making these improvements and giving a damn. 2018 should be even better. Here's hoping for even more improved uniformity.

The fact that Sony are in the gaming business and aren't more competitive in the input lag game is quite befuddling to me. It's one of the main reasons I completely ignored Sony TVs last year while shopping for a new set, ending up with a LG B6. The A1E could provide the best image ever but I'm not paying near 6K for a TV that has 50ms of lag in 1080p. I'm not writing Sony off and still like both the X900E and the X930E. I'll keep an eye on them throughout the year.

ACH1LL3US

16.67ms = 1 frame, no?

All of the tv's and monitors I have tested with the Leo Bodnar, the lowest number I have seen is 9.7ms for the middle bar and 17.2ms for the bottom bar. The LG bottom bar is 25.2ms.

So the monitor I tested that had 17.2ms bottom bar had less then 1ms of input lag as it takes 16.7ms to draw a 60hz image. The LG C7 oled is showing 25.2ms which means it has 8ms of display lag.

All of this isn't taking into consideration of pixel response whereas most lcd's are above 8-10ms whereas the oled's are around .3ms. This doesn't effect lag but does effect motion smearing.

The best any tv will do with lag is getting around 17ms on the bottom bar which no tv has done so far.

Top Bottom