• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

holygeesus

Banned
To be fair to Sony, their processing is likely responsible for the gaming lag, and seeing as it is a 4 grand TV they may well be prioritising for film watching, rather than gaming (rightly or wrongly).

If you are using a TV primarily for film watching, I guess you would rather have improved motion than responsive gaming controls. That doesn't excuse them from providing a dedicated 'Game' setting though, with little to no extraneous processing.

To be fair to Sony, their processing is likely responsible for the gaming lag, and seeing as it is a 4 grand TV they may well be prioritising for film watching, rather than gaming (rightly or wrongly).

If you are using a TV primarily for film watching, I guess you would rather have improved motion than responsive gaming controls. That doesn't excuse them from providing a dedicated 'Game' setting though, with little to no extraneous processing.

Yeah, you're probably right about that. Sony does get a lot of praise for their motion and overall processing. I'm probably a relatively unique case in their eyes because I like watching films and playing games equally, including retro consoles using my Framemeister. I just wish their game mode was more competitive with lag. Cut whatever you have to to get that lag lower. Those B7/C7/E7 reviews can't come soon enough!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Great news!

I have done further testing on my new LG C7 oled and in PC mode with HDMI deep color on ( to get 4:4:4) the input lag for both ISF modes is 21.2ms!!

This means we can now have the same exact low lag as game mode but without the gimped colors!! This is pretty huge if your into having an accurate picture for games and still getting the lowest lag possible on the tv!

ISF Bright in PC mode:

33119516313_dea04101d8_h.jpg
[/url]Oled C7 PC ISF lag times by CoolHandsM3, on Flickr[/img]

ISF Dark in PC mode:

33089019804_f8baea9f20_h.jpg
[/url]Oled C7 PC ISF lag times by CoolHandsM3, on Flickr[/img]

Is that in HDR too or just 4:4:4?

Those are some great numbers.

Any full reviews for the C7 out yet? Curious how much ABL there is in HDR

vpance

This suggests they're doing something different or extra compared to the X930E, since that one can hit 26ms at 4K. Both sets are using the X1 Extreme chip.

Theonik

This suggests they're doing something different or extra compared to the X930E, since that one can hit 26ms at 4K. Both sets are using the X1 Extreme chip.
Different kinds of panel though. And different market segments too.
They are not directly comparable.

III-V

you still need to know how to use it right

this isnt idiot proof ? is what i was trying to discern

Right, for PC it will be nearly idiot proof, using the built in software, and it will do a 'reasonable' job, better than can be done by eye at least.2

When you DIY on your TV with HCFR, you will need to understand the concepts. For me it was about ~ 10 hours of study + 10 trial and error to get to the point where I was fairly confident and very pleased in the measurement and result.

Arsin

So I am having some problems and I was hoping you guys might be able to help me out. I have recently bought an LG B6 55' TV and I have been very pleased with the TV so far. I installed the newest firmware to take advantage of the new HDR game mode and this is where my problems begin. I don't seem to be able to enable the HDR game mode at all, in fact, the only HDR option that I see on my TV is HDR effect. This is a little worrying as I have seen a few videos on the optimal settings for picture quality and I do not have the same options when it comes to the picture settings. There is a game option and only HDR effect, no separate HDR modes like I've seen in videos. I have tried everything that I can think of and nothing has worked. my PS4 pro does not even see the tv supporting HDR and gives me an error when I try to enable it.

What am I doing wrong? I have tried to restart the tv from scratch, made sure that all the cables are HDPC 2.2 Certified, reinstalled the firmware update a number of times. Nothing seems to be working. Am I screwed? I bought the TV based on the recommendations of the posts in this thread and used the deal from the eBay seller and got the TV for $1500. Did I get ripped off? I hope it is user error and an easy fix.

Thanks for anyone taking the time to read this and a double thanks for any help you might be able to provide.

The Vizio M55-D0 I have coming on the way is supposed to be pretty good value for $600. But there are always some trade-offs at this price point. The picture and everything seem great from what I've read. But the smart Tv doesn't have the Amazon app, and the PS4 app doesn't do 4k or HDR. Also only input 1 does HDR, but input 4 is the only one that has the game mode. I don't understand why...I wish someone in charge was a gamer and could release some sort of firmware update. I don't even know if its possible. Maybe Ill switch between them depending on the content.

ThxObambam

Neo Member
The Sony X900E is being positioned at gamers this year.

Full array backlight with low latency.

Can't wait to see all the tests.

But boy does the X930E look awesome... it's like a diet Z9D.

Kambing

Great news!

I have done further testing on my new LG C7 oled and in PC mode with HDMI deep color on ( to get 4:4:4) the input lag for both ISF modes is 21.2ms!!

Awesome to see, thanks for posting results -- may I ask you to test what input lag becomes with de-blur set to 10? On the B6 I believe with de-blur set to 10 input lag jumps to around 50ms... though not ideal, I find myself playing with it as I start Witcher 3 again. Playing at 4k@60hz. The jump from 300 to 650 lines of motion resolution does wonders to the picture... so much eye candy.

ThxObambam

Neo Member
How is this TV for gaming? Is the latency ok "acceptable" on it?? How about with HDR is latency ok in game mode? I am not a tv nerdy gal so im always lost when it comes to tv's.

http://m.bestbuy.ca/defaultpage.asp...spx?ajax=true&lang=en-ca&pcname=&sku=10584572

This is my dilemma too...
I talked to Sony rep and they mentioned that the X930E has higher latency due to it having more points of control with its backlight system. Putting greater strain on the X1 extreme processor.

He recommended the X900E for gaming. But said if I didn't play too many demanding or competitive games I might not notice the latency on the X930E.

swimbuff

So I am having some problems and I was hoping you guys might be able to help me out. I have recently bought an LG B6 55' TV and I have been very pleased with the TV so far. I installed the newest firmware to take advantage of the new HDR game mode and this is where my problems begin. I don't seem to be able to enable the HDR game mode at all, in fact, the only HDR option that I see on my TV is HDR effect. This is a little worrying as I have seen a few videos on the optimal settings for picture quality and I do not have the same options when it comes to the picture settings. There is a game option and only HDR effect, no separate HDR modes like I've seen in videos. I have tried everything that I can think of and nothing has worked. my PS4 pro does not even see the tv supporting HDR and gives me an error when I try to enable it.

What am I doing wrong? I have tried to restart the tv from scratch, made sure that all the cables are HDPC 2.2 Certified, reinstalled the firmware update a number of times. Nothing seems to be working. Am I screwed? I bought the TV based on the recommendations of the posts in this thread and used the deal from the eBay seller and got the TV for $1500. Did I get ripped off? I hope it is user error and an easy fix.

Thanks for anyone taking the time to read this and a double thanks for any help you might be able to provide.

Have you turned on Deep Color in general settings? You have to turn it on per HDMI port.

I don't own this set, but it might help to include a few screenshots or pictures of what you're looking at. Might make it easier for someone to help troubleshoot.

Also, and this is a dumb question, but there should be a sticker on he side or back where the model number is listed. Does that sticker have the right model number? 55b6?

Kyoufu

This is my dilemma too...
I talked to Sony rep and they mentioned that the X930E has higher latency due to it having more points of control with its backlight system. Putting greater strain on the X1 extreme processor.

He recommended the X900E for gaming. But said if I didn't play too many demanding or competitive games I might not notice the latency on the X930E.

Looking at Rtings's numbers and the X930E looks pretty great to me.

1080p @ 60Hz - 42.3 ms
1080p @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 - 42.3 ms
4k @ 60Hz - 25.7 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 - 25.7 ms
4k @ 60Hz + HDR - 25.8 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 + HDR - 25.8 ms

Really good tbh. If the X930E is the better TV in terms of features/picture quality then definitely go for that.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

1080p @ 60Hz - 42.3 ms
4k @ 60Hz - 25.7 ms
Why is it so much higher at 1080p? I get that there's some additional scaling but a 20ms increase seems off

ThxObambam

Neo Member

1080p @ 60Hz - 42.3 ms
4k @ 60Hz - 25.7 ms

Really good tbh. If the X930E is the better TV in terms of features/picture quality then definitely go for that.

Thanks for this!

Yaari

Pretty sure you'll only see HDR Game Mode when you play actual HDR game content. Like, the first time I even saw the mode was when I played FFXV with it.
At that point you should be able to find it.

This is probably a silly question, but did you make sure you applied the HDR Game firmware update via USB drive for your computer in a Folder and inserted it in your TV? I think that is the only way to my knowledge to apply the HDR Game update. If I remember correctly, I got an over the air update the nI first got my B6, but I do not think it was for the HDR Game update. If it is not showing up, try this.

Make sure you turn on Deep Color on all of your HDMI slots in the settings on your LG B6. If the game supports HDR, the TV should automatically detect an HDR signal and you should see the HDR icon come up in the top right corner the when the game is launched. The TV might not be detecting a true HDR signal because the game or movie you are playing do not support it, but the PS4 Pro should still allow you to turn on HDR in dashboard at anytime even if you do not see the change on screen. When I play something like Final Fantasy 15, Deus Ex, Horizon or RE7 which support HDR, the HDR icon pops up in the corner with 4 HDR options if you have the latest firmware update. When I play something like Nier or Street Fighter 5 that doesn't support HDR, the HDR icon does not come up and the only options I have are the default picture setting like Standard, Vivid, HDR Effect with Medium, Low and High, etc. When you get a true HDR signal, you should only see 4 modes for HDR including HDR Game.

Could also be the PS4 Pro if it is not even allowing you to turn on HDR.

$1500 is a good deal. That is around the price I paid for mine. They are still $2300 for a 55" in Best Buy. If these options fail, I would contact LG.

Kambing

Why is it so much higher at 1080p? I get that there's some additional scaling but a 20ms increase seems off

Based on what I read on AVS, for an early review of the Sony OLED -- I think it has to do with the way the X1 chip upscales 1080p content to 4k. Sony do not employ a simple 'nearest neighbor' method for turning 1080p signal to 4k. In part, Sony is indeed known for their industry leading image processing and scaling, and unfortunately for resolutions not native to the display, it seems that their good processing introduces more lag. It's a pity really.

Just a thought; I don't believe UC4's frame buffer is 4k, just 1440p, as they do not use CB rendering -- so lag there would be quite high I imagine, the same as a 1080p. In HZD the frame buffer is 4k but achieved through CB rendering, so in theory the Sony should play that game with much lower input lag.

Lima

Based on what I read on AVS, for an early review of the Sony OLED -- I think it has to do with the way the X1 chip upscales 1080p content to 4k. Sony do not employ a simple 'nearest neighbor' method for turning 1080p signal to 4k. In part, Sony is indeed known for their industry leading image processing and scaling, and unfortunately for resolutions not native to the display, it seems that their good processing introduces more lag. It's a pity really.

Just a thought; I don't believe UC4's frame buffer is 4k, just 1440p, as they do not use CB rendering -- so lag there would be quite high I imagine, the same as a 1080p. In HZD the frame buffer is 4k but achieved through CB rendering, so in theory the Sony should play that game with much lower input lag.

If the output on your PS4pro is set to 4K, it sends 4K video to the TV and you get the lower lag without scaling. The last part of your comment doesn't make sense. Has nothing to do with the games.

1440p is the internal rendering resolution of UC4 but the PS4 Pro upscales it to 4K prior to sending the signal to the TV, so as far as the TV itself is concerned, it is receiving a 4K signal, so you will have 4K input lag, not 1080p.

Kambing

If the output on your PS4pro is set to 4K, it sends 4K video to the TV and you get the lower lag without scaling. The last part of your comment doesn't make sense. Has nothing to do with the games.

1440p is the internal rendering resolution of UC4 but the PS4 Pro upscales it to 4K prior to sending the signal to the TV, so as far as the TV itself is concerned, it is receiving a 4K signal, so you will have 4K input lag, not 1080p.

Ah gotcha, thanks for the clarification guys, apologies for the misunderstanding -- I wasn't sure if it had to be a real 4k signal lol. Now thinking about it, I suppose the game/content resolution is irrelevant as you both put it, the Pro sends a 4k signal. Good to know

Arsin

This is probably a silly question, but did you make sure you applied the HDR Game firmware update via USB drive for your computer in a Folder and inserted it in your TV? I think that is the only way to my knowledge to apply the HDR Game update. If I remember correctly, I got an over the air update the nI first got my B6, but I do not think it was for the HDR Game update. If it is not showing up, try this.

Make sure you turn on Deep Color on all of your HDMI slots in the settings on your LG B6. If the game supports HDR, the TV should automatically detect an HDR signal and you should see the HDR icon come up in the top right corner the when the game is launched. The TV might not be detecting a true HDR signal because the game or movie you are playing do not support it, but the PS4 Pro should still allow you to turn on HDR in dashboard at anytime even if you do not see the change on screen. When I play something like Final Fantasy 15, Deus Ex, Horizon or RE7 which support HDR, the HDR icon pops up in the corner with 4 HDR options if you have the latest firmware update. When I play something like Nier or Street Fighter 5 that doesn't support HDR, the HDR icon does not come up and the only options I have are the default picture setting like Standard, Vivid, HDR Effect with Medium, Low and High, etc. When you get a true HDR signal, you should only see 4 modes for HDR including HDR Game.

Could also be the PS4 Pro if it is not even allowing you to turn on HDR.

$1500 is a good deal. That is around the price I paid for mine. They are still $2300 for a 55" in Best Buy. If these options fail, I would contact LG.

I don't own this set, but it might help to include a few screenshots or pictures of what you're looking at. Might make it easier for someone to help troubleshoot.

Also, and this is a dumb question, but there should be a sticker on he side or back where the model number is listed. Does that sticker have the right model number? 55b6?

Pretty sure you'll only see HDR Game Mode when you play actual HDR game content. Like, the first time I even saw the mode was when I played FFXV with it.
At that point you should be able to find it.

Have you turned on Deep Color in general settings? You have to turn it on per HDMI port.

Thank you all for the help, it turns out that I did not have the deep color turned on! On top of that, I was not viewing content with HDR enabled, so the option was not listed. This is a huge weight lifted off my shoulders, I was freaking out that I bought a lemon or something.

Another quick question, when I'm not playing a game that has an HDR mode, should I be using a different setting from HDR effect?

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
So what are the chances of Sony bettering the input lag on their 2016 models?

Should I just sell this?

Or get a monitor?

My original plan was to wait until the end of the financial year and then get a heavily discounted LG B6.

It turns out that the B6 is becoming really hard to find in Australia now. The new LG range is just coming out now, although only the C7 is avaialble, not the B7. Is there going to be a B7?

In any case, I'm starting to think I should just get a cheaper HDR TV now because with HDMI 2.1 and whatever I'll probably want to upgrade when the PS5 etc come out and can use variable refresh shit. It feels better to buy a not-so-pricey set if I know I'll probably replace it in 3-4 years anyway.

Is there any real advantage to getting a Dolby Vision tv? I know some things use it, but is the standard sort of 10 bit stuff on most HDR TVs going to be obsolete in the near future as the sandard continues to evolve? Or is it going to pretty much be the baseline for HDR content in the near future?

If I could somehow muster up some dicipline, I could probably live with my 40" Sony HDTV, which is only 2-3 years old at this point, but on the other hand I'm just moving into the new home I bought and kind of want to get something bigger for the living room. If not, which modestly priced set should I be waiting for in the near future?

Kyoufu

The C7 is basically the successor to the B6 this year.

If you can't find a B6, then getting something cheaper to tide you over until HDMI 2.1 becomes a thing on PS5 etc is a good plan.

I really recommend the B6 though. OLED has changed the game for me even on 1080p SDR content.

But yeah, HDMI 2.1 will be when I upgrade from my E6, for sure.

Thank you all for the help, it turns out that I did not have the deep color turned on! On top of that, I was not viewing content with HDR enabled, so the option was not listed. This is a huge weight lifted off my shoulders, I was freaking out that I bought a lemon or something.

Another quick question, when I'm not playing a game that has an HDR mode, should I be using a different setting from HDR effect?

Yes, you should use the mode "Game (User)" at all times on non HDR games if you want good input lag.

The C7 is basically the successor to the B6 this year.

If you can't find a B6, then getting something cheaper to tide you over until HDMI 2.1 becomes a thing on PS5 etc is a good plan.

I really recommend the B6 though. OLED has changed the game for me even on 1080p SDR content.

I'm assuming that it won't be hard to find an improvement over the current one I have even on LED. But yes, OLED is quite excellent I'm told.

Kyoufu

I'm assuming that it won't be hard to find an improvement over the current one I have even on LED. But yes, OLED is quite excellent I'm told.

Indeed. You basically can't go wrong with something like, say, the Samsung KS8000 or Sony's new X900E when it comes to LCD sets. Those will be a huge upgrade. Just don't cheap out too hard and end up with something that doesn't even meet the minimum specs required for HDR.

Indeed. You basically can't go wrong with something like, say, the Samsung KS8000 or Sony's new X900E when it comes to LCD sets. Those will be a huge upgrade. Just don't cheap out too hard and end up with something that doesn't even meet the minimum specs required for HDR.

ETA for Sony 900e?

I don't even know what it will be called in Australia...

luffeN

The i1DP comes with some software from the mnfr, that can be used to calibrate your PC monitor. It is automated and does a reasonable job. I have used it on my work PC monitors that I don't do any critical viewing on.

To calibrate your TV, as many as you want, as many times as you want, etc., I reccomend to use the AVSCHD (free from AVS) disc, and run the HCFR software to track your measurements, also free. This is not automated, you will run it yourself.

Basically you run the disc on your PS4, and run the software from your PC with the i1DP on the tv monitor. You take measuresurements of the set, make adjustments and then remeasure until you are satisfied with the result.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...ay-mp4-calibration.html#/topics/948496?page=1
I see, thank you. After I have run the disc on my PS4 connected to the TV, is the TV then also calibrated for my Xbox One S? Should be, right?

III-V

I see, thank you. After I have run the disc on my PS4 connected to the TV, is the TV then also calibrated for my Xbox One S? Should be, right?

You may need to copy settings over from the PS4 HDMI input to the Xbox1 input. You could also run the disc from the Xbox one and take measurements to make sure the same settings work for both inputs.

Just be aware that playing the disc does nothing itself. You will be taking measurements and manually adjusting the TV based off of your readings. The HCFR program will tabulate your readings, it the i1DP will be hooked up to it.

Considering LG is doing a tick tock approach for their oled tvs and the 2017's are a tock, I have no idea what the 2018's could do to make me want to upgrade and that is saying a lot!
HDMI 2.1 with variable refresh rate
4k HFR (100+ Hz @ 2160p)
higher brightness
higher ABL limit
bigger color volume

luffeN

You may need to copy settings over from the PS4 HDMI input to the Xbox1 input. You could also run the disc from the Xbox one and take measurements to make sure the same settings work for both inputs.

Just be aware that playing the disc does nothing itself. You will be taking measurements and manually adjusting the TV based off of your readings. The HCFR program will tabulate your readings, it the i1DP will be hooked up to it.

Thanks again :D One last question hopefully! Does the i1DP also adjust the 20 and 100 point IRE options? Edit: Adjust as in give me the readings?

Edit:
Yes, full calibration, as much as your TV will allow, anyway. Grayscale and color. Everything needed to calibrate at a high level.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...e-projector-display-calibration-software.html
My thanks to you.

III-V

4k HFR (100+ Hz @ 2160p)
higher brightness
higher ABL limit
bigger color volume

Yes, there is much, much more coming down the road before 2020.

Thanks again :D One last question hopefully! Does the i1DP also adjust the 20 and 100 point IRE options? Edit: Adjust as in give me the readings?

Yes, full calibration, as much as your TV will allow, anyway. Grayscale and color. Everything needed to calibrate at a high level.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...e-projector-display-calibration-software.html

So I see press release stating HBO Go is now on LG's WebOS Smart TV platform but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Is there an HBO Go App available for the B6 or do I need to watch all my HBO stuff through Amazon?

And I would like to know when the hell HBO starts to broadcast/stream in UHD. This year's GoT broadcasts will once again look like crap on a OLED TV.

MazeHaze

Banned
And I would like to know when the hell HBO starts to broadcast/stream in UHD. This year's GoT broadcasts will once again look like crap on a OLED TV.
In my experience, Game of Thrones on the HBO app has been some of the worst content I've seen. Super low bitrate. Dark scenes are a pixelated mess. Their app also crashes constantly. Can't believe they trot out their flaship series in such butthole quality on there.

In my experience, Game of Thrones on the HBO app has been some of the worst content I've seen. Super low bitrate. Dark scenes are a pixelated mess. Their app also crashes constantly. Can't believe they trot out their flaship series in such butthole quality on there.

Can vouch. Goes from looking good in the daytime to a bad YouTube video at night / in catacombs.

BumRush

Agreed. I had a Samsung LED that had moderate clouding issues to begin with, but GOT on the HBO app was borderline unwatchable (e.g. clouding, banding, etc.)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

I have a 32 inch TN panel LCD from 2009. I've been sweating over a lot of little details in my upgrade but I think something like the X900E would be an incredible improvement in all areas.

ACH1LL3US

4k HFR (100+ Hz @ 2160p)
higher brightness
higher ABL limit
bigger color volume

4K HFR : Even if they begin to offer this on newer models we need content to be able to drive it.
Higher brightness : higher not would be nice for HDR, not issue with SDR
Higher ABL: For HDR it would be of benefit, for sdr it is no longer an issue
Bigger color volume: will help on hdr content for sure

Most of the things listed is for hdr content, for those of us that mainly use sdr like myself all of these listed won't help me except hfr if that allows my pc gaming rig or next gen consoles to run on it.

Top Bottom