• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Schlomo

Only difference between the LG B7 and C7 is a different stand design, right? I'm close to pulling the trigger on the B7 because the launch price is surprisingly affordable here (2800€) compared to the B6 (4000€) last year. If only there were some reviews out...

tokkun

4K HFR : Even if they begin to offer this on newer models we need content to be able to drive it.
Higher brightness : higher not would be nice for HDR, not issue with SDR
Higher ABL: For HDR it would be of benefit, for sdr it is no longer an issue
Bigger color volume: will help on hdr content for sure

Most of the things listed is for hdr content, for those of us that mainly use sdr like myself all of these listed won't help me except hfr if that allows my pc gaming rig or next gen consoles to run on it.

Higher brightness can help with SDR content if they add black frame insertion. And hopefully that happens, because motion resolution on OLED is still far inferior to plasma, and that is kind of a big deal for gaming.

My LG 60UH615a I picked up from Target late last year is starting to show a bit of banding stemming from the bottom of the display during some normal use cases. I've also noticed a bright white spot that appears on lighter colors. I'm a tad disappointed, considering the age of the set.

I'm curious if these problems are at all common in IPS/LG panels. I'm tempted to just upgrade altogether to a more premium tv of similar size. I'll at least send this set in to be fixed since it's covered under warranty still.

What say you, GAF? What are the up and coming 55-65 displays with low input lag, sick HDR, and gorgeous displays?

Madness

My original plan was to wait until the end of the financial year and then get a heavily discounted LG B6.

It turns out that the B6 is becoming really hard to find in Australia now. The new LG range is just coming out now, although only the C7 is avaialble, not the B7. Is there going to be a B7?

In any case, I'm starting to think I should just get a cheaper HDR TV now because with HDMI 2.1 and whatever I'll probably want to upgrade when the PS5 etc come out and can use variable refresh shit. It feels better to buy a not-so-pricey set if I know I'll probably replace it in 3-4 years anyway.

Is there any real advantage to getting a Dolby Vision tv? I know some things use it, but is the standard sort of 10 bit stuff on most HDR TVs going to be obsolete in the near future as the sandard continues to evolve? Or is it going to pretty much be the baseline for HDR content in the near future?

If I could somehow muster up some dicipline, I could probably live with my 40" Sony HDTV, which is only 2-3 years old at this point, but on the other hand I'm just moving into the new home I bought and kind of want to get something bigger for the living room. If not, which modestly priced set should I be waiting for in the near future?

Very little to no content uses it currently. Even all UHD blu-ray only mastered for HDR10 spec. You would be correct in thinking you get a cheaoer 4K and HDR tv now and then splurge on a flagship with HDMI 2.1 and Dolby Vision in 2018 or 2019. By then OLED will only be improved as well. Or wait until black friday this year, LG always discounts around November. See if you can't get a B7 or C7 2017 models for cheaper.

Very little to no content uses it currently. Even all UHD blu-ray only mastered for HDR10 spec. You would be correct in thinking you get a cheaoer 4K and HDR tv now and then splurge on a flagship with HDMI 2.1 and Dolby Vision in 2018 or 2019. By then OLED will only be improved as well. Or wait until black friday this year, LG always discounts around November. See if you can't get a B7 or C7 2017 models for cheaper.

Black Friday doesn't exist in Australia, since we don't have thanksgiving. Although one or two outlets did hold a Black Friday sale for some bizarre reason last year. For me it'll probably be the end of the financial year, which is when the largest sales often are.

PrimeRib_

I picked up a Sony X900E on Saturday, upgraded from a Vizio M60-C3 set. The picture quality on this set is amazing, I'm just wondering if I should return it for the X930E and Dolby Vision compatibility. Aside from gaming, I'll be consuming 4K HDR movies and would rather not upgrade again for awhile.

Kyoufu

I picked up a Sony X900E on Saturday, upgraded from a Vizio M60-C3 set. The picture quality on this set is amazing, I'm just wondering if I should return it for the X930E and Dolby Vision compatibility. Aside from gaming, I'll be consuming 4K HDR movies and would rather not upgrade again for awhile.

I wouldn't bother tbh.

I think the 2016 OLED will serve well.

LG used a different technology with OLED, beginning with the 2016 sets. On older OLED, blue degrations from the subpixels would occur faster. Their 2015 used that type.

In 2016, they shifted to all white or white subpoxels that use colored filters, which makes color shift and degradation near impossible before 100,000 hours + they used new tools to make retention and burn in, things of the past.

My C6 is completely perfect, no Mura effect or vignetting, streaks or retention. When the screen is displaying black, I literally cannot tell tv is on - even in a pitch dark room.

You cannot compare the 2015 OLED with 2016.

They're completely different.

Mmmm...but dem 2017's

vpance

I'd say it depends how much you like HDR, as the 930 gets substantially brighter. Though if you're satisfied with what you're seeing in the 900 then I wouldn't.

holygeesus

Banned
Higher brightness can help with SDR content if they add black frame insertion. And hopefully that happens, because motion resolution on OLED is still far inferior to plasma, and that is kind of a big deal for gaming.

It's not a big deal for gaming at all, it is more of an issue for watching films. The instant pixel response time mitigates any motion issues on an OLED, when gaming. Unless you are coming off a lifetime of gaming on CRT monitors, you will not notice the low motion resolution, as you aren't getting the other nasties from LCD monitors, such as smearing.

Gaming on an OLED is a joy.

tokkun

It's not a big deal for gaming at all, it is more of an issue for watching films. The instant pixel response time mitigates any motion issues on an OLED, when gaming. Unless you are coming off a lifetime of gaming on CRT monitors, you will not notice the low motion resolution, as you aren't getting the other nasties from LCD monitors, such as smearing.

Gaming on an OLED is a joy.

I wasn't comparing it to LCD, I was comparing it to plasma. LCD's motion resolution is as bad as OLED's.

holygeesus

Banned
I wasn't comparing it to LCD, I was comparing it to plasma. LCD's motion resolution is as bad as OLED's.

And plasmas have more gaming lag and burn-in dangers. Each tech has it's disadvantages.

As someone who has personally invested thousands of hours into gaming, on each kind of panel type, OLED is by far the best all-rounder. You shouldn't have a hard time moving from a plasma to an OLED.

TheBoss1

My LG 60UH615a I picked up from Target late last year is starting to show a bit of banding stemming from the bottom of the display during some normal use cases. I've also noticed a bright white spot that appears on lighter colors. I'm a tad disappointed, considering the age of the set.

I'm curious if these problems are at all common in IPS/LG panels. I'm tempted to just upgrade altogether to a more premium tv of similar size. I'll at least send this set in to be fixed since it's covered under warranty still.

What say you, GAF? What are the up and coming 55-65 displays with low input lag, sick HDR, and gorgeous displays?

The 55-65" LG C7 (~$3500-5000) seems like the best bet if you have a big budget. It is an OLED TV so it will be better than most, if not all, LCD TVs. The input lag on this set is great too at around 21 ms. The only negative so far is the 75% increase in price over last year's model (B6/C6).

If that is too much then you can also look at the 55-65" Sony X900E ($~1500-2300). This one is an LCD set but it is has full array local dimming (FALD) so it is way better than your average TV (including your current TV) and probably the best bang for buck display out this year. Input lag is around 33 ms which is good enough for 99% of gamers.

Now if you don't mind buying a 2016 TV then I recommend getting the 55" LG B6 (~$2000). It's also an OLED TV that's almost as good as the 2017 models while being significantly cheaper.

Devil

Hi guys, confused question time again. Sadly my thread got buried quickly without replies and I can't find a general audio setup thread so I'll copy my post into this thread since it is sort of related.

I'd like to replace my 5.1 AV setup with a soundbase...

Devil said:
...but I got some questions left considering the idea being future proof for gaming etc.

I couldn't find a general AV/sound system thread so I hope it's ok to open this one.

So, I currently own an entry level set of speakers by Teufel (Magnum Concept E I think) and paired it with an Onkyo receiver. Apart from the lack of BT or network connectivity I'm actually pretty happy with the results.

BUT I realized that I just don't get that much use out of a dedicated 5.1 setup as I used to. I play games with a headset pretty often and for watching stuff I rarely turn the volume and bass up, partly to not annoy the neighbours (they don't care about not annoying us, but whatever). And I hate the necessary wire management that comes naturally with a 5.1 system with a passion.

So when I recently stumbled across an article on the Sonos Playbase I thought: "Thats exactly what I want."

Well, except the one from Sonos is too expenisve. So I did some research, as it was actually the first time that I heard of soundbases being a thing, I had only ever known soundbars. Turns out that there are some good sound bases with a lot more inputs (HDMI + Optical) as well as being a lot cheaper by Sony, Onkyo and Teufel for example.

I am currently looking at the Sony HT-XT3 and the Teufel Soundbase.

Reviews sound great and I'd love to finally have a BT capable system with the potential for a multiroom setup in the future.

So on to my questions:
I've been concerned about the new HDMI 2.1 standard when thinking about upgrading my sound setup. But do I even have to bother if I had a soundbase?

Right now I own an old Panasonic Plasma TV but I m intend to upgrade to a 4k display in the relatively near future, likely once 2.1 is on board already. So for HDMI passthrough it would make sense to have a HDMI 2.1 sound system as well, right? But couldn't I just plug all my HDMI devices (I'll probably never use more than 3-4 at the same time) directly into my hypothetical new TV and connect that with a single optical cable to my hypothetical new soundbase? I'm no expert at all at these things but that way the soundbase should only get the audio from the TV instead of functioning as receiver/complete passthrough device, right? So what I want is to have the future benefits of the next HDMI standard my next TV will offer for TV/gaming but while using one of the current soundbases as nothing else but a speaker system which will not support 2.1. Is it possible via optical? Am I missing anything here?

Any other drawbacks I may haven't thought of yet?
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1359372

TLDR:
Soundbases today obviously don't have HDMI 2.1 yet and might not support 4k/HDR passthrough, but my future TV probably will. But I don't think I even need the soundbase to act as a passthrough like an AV receiver, the HDMI slots the TV will have will likely also be enough. Just need it to put out sound. If I just connect soundbase and TV via optical, shouldn't I still get all the benefits of HDMI 2.1, 4k, HDR, etc despite the soundbase maybe not supporting these features? Anything else I need to consider?

TheBoss1

And plasmas have more gaming lag and burn-in dangers. Each tech has it's disadvantages.

As someone who has personally invested thousands of hours into gaming, on each kind of panel type, OLED is by far the best all-rounder. You shouldn't have a hard time moving from a plasma to an OLED.

The only advantage plasma displays have over OLED displays is motion resolution. OLED beats it in every other way that I can think of.

tokkun

I didn't say plasma was better than OLED either. Someone said that he didn't see any room for improvement for OLED in gaming, and I was pointing out one area where there is clearly room for improvement. You don't need to get so defensive about it.

Dave_6

Minus the damn vertical banding on mine, I love my B6 but I will be upgrading again sometime next year. Or whenever HDMI 2.1 and variable refresh rate become standard. OLEDs by then should be pretty much perfect.

holygeesus

Banned
I didn't say plasma was better than OLED either. Someone said that he didn't see any room for improvement for OLED in gaming, and I was pointing out one area where there is clearly room for improvement. You don't need to get so defensive about it.

I'm not defensive about anything. It's called having a conversation.

watership

Project Scorpio to support HDMI 2.1 and variable refresh rate. Damn, while this is awesome, I was hoping to pick up the C7 this fall, now I'm thinking I should wait for 2018 models which are 1 year out!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=233722653&posted=1#post233722653

Waiting for everything to line up will mean you'll never get a tv :). The second you buy your TV/console/player, you need to just accept that at any moment a new release or tech announcement will make you feel like you should have waited. It's why I stop reading TV display news after I bought my B6. I don't need that feeling of "I should have waited".

Smokey

Waiting for everything to line up will mean you'll never get a tv :). The second you buy your TV/console/player, you need to just accept that at any moment a new release or tech announcement will make you feel like you should have waited. It's why I stop reading TV display news after I bought my B6. I don't need that feeling of "I should have waited".

If you play the waiting game it's true you'll be waiting forever in tech

However

There are certain milestones or game changers that make it very appropriate to wait

HDMI 2.1 is one of those and we've known there's a very good chance that it will hit in 2018.

Theonik

It depends on your circumstances really. One would have said the same for HDR. Fact of the matter is, if you are happy with your present display there is no reason to upgrade unless something really catches your eye.

Madness

If you play the waiting game it's true you'll be waiting forever in tech

However

There are certain milestones or game changers that make it very appropriate to wait

HDMI 2.1 is one of those and we've known there's a very good chance that it will hit in 2018.

There will be maybe one or two television models that will have it in 2018. Possibly only flagships, no guarantees either. Hell we still get even flagship models of televisions this year that only have 1 or 2 HDMI 2.0a inputs for HDR. HDMI 2.1 is a big upgrade though, so if you are a once in a blue moon tech adopter you may as well wait to have that.

There will be maybe one or two television models that will have it in 2018. Possibly only flagships, no guarantees either. Hell we still get even flagship models of televisions this year that only have 1 or 2 HDMI 2.0a inputs for HDR. HDMI 2.1 is a big upgrade though, so if you are a once in a blue moon tech adopter you may as well wait to have that.

Always useful to have a few folks jump on that grenade and report back on the janky 1.0 support for any new tech. I like buying mid-cycle when things have settled down and the tech has matured a bit (e.g. post B6 latency firmware improvements, etc.).

Minus the damn vertical banding on mine, I love my B6 but I will be upgrading again sometime next year. Or whenever HDMI 2.1 and variable refresh rate become standard. OLEDs by then should be pretty much perfect.

I agree with this and will probably do the same. I currently have a 55" B6 and after owning it for almost 3 months and putting in 800 hours on it or so id probably give it an 8.5/10 if I had to throw on an arbitrary score. It's the best display I've owned for sure but it's not quite perfect. The vertical banding issue will have to be eliminated in order for me to upgrade again. Granted, I don't see it 90-95% of the time but when I do I can't not see it. Mine shows up on high brightness content on the right side to the center of the panel. For example, the worst offending content is your typical panning on a solid color, like looking left and right at the horizon in a game like Breath of the Wild.

Has anyone that has looked at IRE slides ever seen a OLED panel that didn't have some sort of vertical bands through it? Panel uniformity is the single biggest annoyance to me and it's the only one the thing I like better about my dinosaur of a plasma. Perfect uniformity. Obviously OLED uniformity is still much better that LCD overall and it is still trending upward year after year so that's great. Also, I hope tinting issues improve as well, with green/yellow and also white homogeneity.

So anyway, if uniformity and tinting can improve significantly, then give me a 65" OLED with HDMI 2.1 and 1000 nits peak brightness and I'll have my perfect display.

holygeesus

Banned
I agree with this and will probably do the same. I currently have a 55" B6 and after owning it for almost 3 months and putting in 800 hours on it or so id probably give it an 8.5/10 if I had to throw on an arbitrary score. It's the best display I've owned for sure but it's not quite perfect. The vertical banding issue will have to be eliminated in order for me to upgrade again. Granted, I don't see it 90-95% of the time but when I do I can't not see it. Mine shows up on high brightness content on the right side to the center of the panel. For example, the worst offending content is your typical panning on a solid color, like looking left and right at the horizon in a game like Breath of the Wild.

Has anyone that has looked at IRE slides ever seen a OLED panel that didn't have some sort of vertical bands through it? Panel uniformity is the single biggest annoyance to me and it's the only one the thing I like better about my dinosaur of a plasma. Perfect uniformity. Obviously OLED uniformity is still much better that LCD overall and it is still trending upward year after year so that's great. Also, I hope tinting issues improve as well, with green/yellow and also white homogeneity.

So anyway, if uniformity and tinting can improve significantly, then give me a 65" OLED with HDMI 2.1 and 1000 nits peak brightness and I'll have my perfect display.

I concur with all this, including the score. Though I truly don't have any banding, either in slides or content, but I do have red tinting visible on all-white screens - not noticeable in normal content though.

vpance

Always useful to have a few folks jump on that grenade and report back on the janky 1.0 support for any new tech. I like buying mid-cycle when things have settled down and the tech has matured a bit (e.g. post B6 latency firmware improvements, etc.).

Sounds wise. Hopefully by 2020 they'll have it all sorted out.

2017 is a fine time to buy a TV, just not this years OLEDs IMO.

vpance

What's wrong with this year's OLEDs?

Nothing, but I think if you've got your mind set on an OLED then might as well wait for the 2018 "tick" models of the hardware cycle, and you might get 2.1 out of it too. Also, value wise the discounted B6 is just too hard to pass up compared to what the 7s bring IMO. So essentially the 2017s are neither here nor there in terms of value and upgrade in spec.

This year's LCDs (bar the Sammys for now) on the other hand all look pretty great value/perf wise against last year's, especially the 900E. Unless they all go 100+ zone FALD in 2018 I don't see anything substantial to wait for there, unlike with OLED.

Kyoufu

Nothing, but I think if you've got your mind set on an OLED then might as well wait for the 2018 "tick" models of the hardware cycle, and you might get 2.1 out of it too. Also, value wise the discounted B6 is just too hard to pass up compared to what the 7s bring IMO. So essentially the 2017s are neither here nor there in terms of value and upgrade in spec.

This year's LCDs (bar the Sammys for now) on the other hand all look pretty great value/perf wise against last year's, especially the 900E. Unless they all go 100+ zone FALD in 2018 I don't see anything substantial to wait for there, unlike with OLED.

I agree about the B6 being great value, but you'll be saying this next year as well but with the B7/C7 instead. :p Last year's LCDs were also great in terms of value and they will continue to be great value while OLED holds on to its premium pricing for years to come.

The 2017 LG OLEDs look great so far and 21ms input lag is ridiculously good along with improvements in most other areas resulting in happy owners, I'm sure. There's always going to be a better model released every year. I'm sure you've read this statement many times already here in this thread, but it's true and let's be realistic here, the 2018 models will be just as incremental as the 2017s were. HDMI 2.1 isn't going to be used by mainstream inputs until PS5 etc and by then, there may even be a better HDMI spec.

vpance

I agree about the B6 being great value, but you'll be saying this next year as well but with the B7/C7 instead. :p Last year's LCDs were also great in terms of value and they will continue to be great value while OLED holds on to its premium pricing for years to come.

The 2017 LG OLEDs look great so far and 21ms input lag is ridiculously good along with improvements in most other areas resulting in happy owners, I'm sure. There's always going to be a better model released every year. I'm sure you've read this statement many times already here in this thread, but it's true and let's be realistic here, the 2018 models will be just as incremental as the 2017s were. HDMI 2.1 isn't going to be used by mainstream inputs until PS5 etc and by then, there may even be a better HDMI spec.

If the B/C8 upgrade is substantial, which it should be due to tick cycle, then no, I wouldn't be saying this next year which was my point. This time next year I would wait 3-6 months and get a B8 summer or holiday discounted. But like you say if the 2018's are a bust then the choice would be easy and just get discounted B/C7 :) Buying a 7 now without knowing what 8 will bring is a mistake, money and lifecycle wise.

The thing with LCD is not everyone likes Sammy and their iffy QC, or prefers Sony processing. So while the KS8000 should still be the goto buy for most people, the argument for getting a 2017 Sony now is still sound. Also last year's Sony's had very bad input lag so they were a nonstarter. X800D is the exception but it's way too dim for HDR IMO.

This is all apart from the 2.1 talk though. I'm just going over the downsides of buying a 2017 OLED this year.

Sky Chief

If the B/C8 upgrade is substantial, which it should be due to tick cycle, then no, I wouldn't be saying this next year which was my point. This time next year I would wait 3-6 months and get a B8 summer or holiday discounted. But like you say if the 2018's are a bust then the choice would be easy and just get discounted B/C7 :) Buying a 7 now without knowing what 8 will bring is a mistake, money and lifecycle wise.

The thing with LCD is not everyone likes Sammy and their iffy QC, or prefers Sony processing. So while the KS8000 should still be the goto buy for most people, the argument for getting a 2017 Sony now is still sound. Also last year's Sony's had very bad input lag so they were a nonstarter. X800D is the exception but it's way too dim for HDR IMO.

This is all apart from the 2.1 talk though. I'm just going over the downsides of buying a 2017 OLED this year.

Is it reasonable to assume that the 8 series OLEDs will be cheaper because part of the tick cycle is improvement of manufacturing processes?

Triz

I can vouch for the x900e sets. I picked up a 65" this weekend and the set is amazing. I was set on an OLED LG, but ended up with this thing because of how good it was.

This thread is probably as good as any since my Xbox is connected to a B6... lol Can anyone recommend a good optical splitter? Getting sick of constantly swapping optical cables when I want to use my headset.

vpance

Is it reasonable to assume that the 8 series OLEDs will be cheaper because part of the tick cycle is improvement of manufacturing processes?

That's the rumor. I think it's reasonable, but none of us here have any inside info.

If anyone waiting on the 8's end up being let down by their specs, worse case they lost out a year's worth of viewing time with an OLED and they pick up a deeply discounted 7. If value is my priority then I'd get a 6 and wait for 10 before upgrading again. If I absolutely need to experience OLED this year then still I'd get the 6.

Anyone that upgrades their TVs every other year or less can ignore all this talk and just buy whenever of course :)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I can vouch for the x900e sets. I picked up a 65" this weekend and the set is amazing. I was set on an OLED LG, but ended up with this thing because of how good it was.
Probably going to go with the X900E this year since my current set is garbage then go OLED in a couple years once HDMI 2.1 matures.

Project Scorpio to support HDMI 2.1 and variable refresh rate. Damn, while this is awesome, I was hoping to pick up the C7 this fall, now I'm thinking I should wait for 2018 models which are 1 year out!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=233722653&posted=1#post233722653

I've played the waiting game. The end result is that by the time HDMI 2.1 comes around on these sets there is going to be some other feature that you feel like you need to wait for... and you just sit there with an old ass set waiting and waiting and waiting.

I'm just going to ride my B6 out until there are LG OLEDS that support HDMI 2.1 and they have come down price a little bit. Maybe upgrade at the end of 2018 if there are good black Friday deals or 2019. Either way I'm sure I'll upgrade my monitors before then and will just grab some 4ks that support freesync over hdmi to hold me over.

Only difference between the LG B7 and C7 is a different stand design, right? I'm close to pulling the trigger on the B7 because the launch price is surprisingly affordable here (2800€) compared to the B6 (4000€) last year. If only there were some reviews out...

I just want to use this opportunity to praise the 3d capabilities of these 4k oled sets. I'm not sure about the 2017 models, but I believe the 2016 C and E models are 3d capable, and the b6 is not.

I have a 65 inch 2016 E6. The regular picture is incredible. I've had it for 4 months and I'm still consistently impressed. The 3d though, is the best I've ever seen anywhere, and I'm coming from a panny plasma with 3d. 4k makes it crystal clear, there is no dimming, the passive glasses do not need charged. There is little to no eye strain. There are absolutely none of drawbacks I associated with 3d on my plasma. I didn't expect it at all, but I was very very happily suprised.

I've bought many new 3d movies. The problem is it's very difficult if not impossible to find a bluray set that has hdr, 4k, 3d, and atmos sound all in one. So you are forced to choose. Too bad the 3d format is fading just when the tech has caught up.

But believe me, the 3d is stunning.

Geneijin

Nice, thank you. Can I calibrate as many TVs and monitors as I like with the i1? I read a review that it is only able to calibrate the one monitor that is connected to the PC?! Seems kinda strange. Can I also calibrate OLED/LCD/etc. ?
Yes, you can calibrate as many display devices you want provided you have the software to utilize the hardware (meter). No, calibrating isn't limited to the PC the meter is connected to. As long as you're taking measurements and have software to process that information, you can use a laptop for example with said software to calibrate any number of display devices including OLED, LCD, and Plasma.

The i1DP comes with some software from the mnfr, that can be used to calibrate your PC monitor. It is automated and does a reasonable job. I have used it on my work PC monitors that I don't do any critical viewing on.

To calibrate your TV, as many as you want, as many times as you want, etc., I reccomend to use the AVSCHD (free from AVS) disc, and run the HCFR software to track your measurements, also free. This is not automated, you will run it yourself.

Basically you run the disc on your PS4, and run the software from your PC with the i1DP on the tv monitor. You take measuresurements of the set, make adjustments and then remeasure until you are satisfied with the result.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...ay-mp4-calibration.html#/topics/948496?page=1
For a PC monitor, it is easy with the included software. I wouldn't do it for the TV.
You're missing out on the world of 3D LUT tables. I suggest you do that instead of using the default software by X-Rite. Much more accurate.

http://www.lightillusion.com/lut_calibration_idiots_guide.html

And you absolutely want a 3D LUT for your TV too assuming one of your video inputs is from your PC.

you still need to know how to use it right

this isnt idiot proof ? is what i was trying to discern
if you're aiming for 3D LUTs, it's pretty idiot proof since you don't have to fiddle with grayscale white balancing at all. It's all automated.

Top Bottom