• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Kyoufu

Great to hear! This will save me the pain of having to turn it on and off.

Yeah the only time I turn it on/off is that rare moment where I need to reboot the TV and for some reason the only way to do that is by toggling it on or off.

So yeah, protip, if you want to reboot your TV for whatever reason, do that.

I also quite like the remote, contrary to most reviews. It is easy to use, responsive and looks quite nice i think.

I like the remote they've been giving too, not that it's particularly unique or anything but I think it's pretty good for the same reason. One of the wish list things I agree with though is that it would be cool if they could upgrade the included remotes one day with back-lighting on the keys so they're easier to use in a dark room, even though it probably won't happen and isn't really a deal breaker anyway.

Still waiting for my 65E7V order to ship (currently not in stock). I ordered it two weeks ago for 3.333€ and could now get a 65E6V for abt. 3.200€.
Frankly, the stand of the E6 is better since it's a bit smaller and the TV sits lower on my TV table which is already higher than where I'm sitting. And I love the 3D which would make it easier to still ignore the more expensive HDR discs if there's a well done 3D Blu-ray, OTOH the E7 has the lower input lag. And it's newer I guess. Though it's not like playing on the E6 is impossible or something...
Oh man, I don't know what to do. :(

Kyoufu

Still waiting for my 65E7V order to ship (currently not in stock). I ordered it two weeks ago for 3.333€ and could now get a 65E6V for abt. 3.200€.
Frankly, the stand of the E6 is better since it's a bit smaller and the TV sits lower on my TV table which is already higher than where I'm sitting. And I love the 3D which would make it easier to still ignore the more expensive HDR discs if there's a well done 3D Blu-ray, OTOH the E7 has the lower input lag. And it's newer I guess. Though it's not like playing on the E6 is impossible or something...
Oh man, I don't know what to do. :(

Unless you really, REALLY like 3D then no reason not to get the E7 instead.

Chumley

Banned
I've been getting this weird glitch with HDR gaming mode... sometimes it just turns off while playing a PS4 game. The game is still going, but the screen is black and the only way to get the image back is by restarting the PS4. Sometimes it fixes itself on its own. Is this something with the PS4 settings I should change, like RGB mode or something?

Kyoufu

I've been getting this weird glitch with HDR gaming mode... sometimes it just turns off while playing a PS4 game. The game is still going, but the screen is black and the only way to get the image back is by restarting the PS4. Sometimes it fixes itself on its own. Is this something with the PS4 settings I should change, like RGB mode or something?

Could be HDCP not playing nice. Try disabling it in Settings -> System. Doing that fixed all my black screen issues.

Unless you really, REALLY like 3D then no reason not to get the E7 instead.

I think I do? Junglebook and Doctor Strange were well done 3D titles that looked great on the 55E6 I watched them on. *sigh*
OTOH I watch like 3-4 3D movies per year. Usual indecisiveness.

Kyoufu

I think I do? Junglebook and Doctor Strange were well done 3D titles that looked great on the 55E6 I watched them on. *sigh*
OTOH I watch like 3-4 3D movies per year.

3-4 per year? Not enough to get the inferior TV tbh. Go for the lower input lag, higher brightness, better near black and overall better TV IMO.

Well probably a couple more.Usual the couple blockbuster movies.
Next one would be Guardians of the Galaxy 2 that is also supposed to have nice 3D.Also Kong:Skull Island and the next Planet of Apes movie.
Near black artefacts don't really bother me on the 2016 sets. And vertical banding/DSE is as much a problem on 2017 sets.

Stiler

Just bought a 65" Sony X850E and only now realised it doesn't have local dimming.

How badly did I fuck up gaf?

How much did it cost you? You can always return it if you don't like it.

If you don't like it no harm in returning it and looking for another tv that might suit your needs better. The XBR65X900E is a great tv to get if you can find one for around the price you paid for the x850e.

The FALD Vizio's are nice too, and if you don't mind waiting the 65" TCL is coming later this year.

How much did it cost you? You can always return it if you don't like it.

If you don't like it no harm in returning it and looking for another tv that might suit your needs better. The XBR65X900E is a great tv to get if you can find one for around the price you paid for the x850e.

The FALD Vizio's are nice too, and if you don't mind waiting the 65" TCL is coming later this year.

Probably no point giving price given I am in Australia where things are about 1.5-2x the cost.

I'll see how it goes. I mean it looked pretty good in the store against some other options I was looking at(ks9000 but was the only one left and sold whilst I was looking around). I'll admit I don't even really know why local dimming matters but I've just read that it's important and now feel like I screwed myself.

I'm sure once it's all setup I'll be happy anyway. Plus, this is just to give me a 4k solution until I can get a c7 or better sometime next year after I move house.

Spencaroo

Neo Member
Hoping some of you Bravia A1 users out there can give me some advice on this unit. I can get a considerable Bravia discount and am thinking of making the 4K plunge with this!

My main concern with it seems to be the input lag. I've heard that for native 4K signals, the latency is pretty low but it is considerably higher for 1080p upscaled to 4K. Firstly is the upscaling on this good and does the added lag make HD games (particularly Switch) difficult to play?

Kud Dukan

Could anyone recommend a good wall mount for an LG 65" OLED65B7P? I will be getting the TV sometime in the next week, so I've been looking online for wall mounts. Never having bought one, it's hard to know what to look for, and there are so many options.

Theonik

Hoping some of you Bravia A1 users out there can give me some advice on this unit. I can get a considerable Bravia discount and am thinking of making the 4K plunge with this!

My main concern with it seems to be the input lag. I've heard that for native 4K signals, the latency is pretty low but it is considerably higher for 1080p upscaled to 4K. Firstly is the upscaling on this good and does the added lag make HD games (particularly Switch) difficult to play?
Upscaling on it is great. Whether the extra 10 ms matter to you is your call.

Personally, too high for 1080p resolution, but i can't speak for you, depends what input lag your current TV has and what you're used to.

monagram

It's been fine for me on 4K, but I haven't tried using the Switch yet. I will say that the upscaling is excellent.

Nothus

Does anyone have any recommendations for a tv not quite as large as most of you seem to be purchasing?
I'm only really looking for something in the range of 40" - 50", but would still like to make the most of a ps pro when I eventually get one.

Any suggestions?

Spencaroo

Neo Member
Personally, too high for 1080p resolution, but i can't speak for you, depends what input lag your current TV has and what you're used to.

I think input lag on my Bravia W829 is at 22ms? So of course there will be a difference but I'm curious as to how much of an impact it will have. I don't play competitively so I don't know if it will really be relevant to me.

Overall, would you all recommend the A1? How's HDR on it? I've read that doesn't reach its full potential due to the brightness being typically lower?

Congrats!

I think input lag on my Bravia W829 is at 22ms? So of course there will be a difference but I'm curious as to how much of an impact it will have. I don't play competitively so I don't know if it will really be relevant to me.

Overall, would you all recommend the A1? How's HDR on it? I've read that doesn't reach its full potential due to the brightness being typically lower?

That's quite a big difference, then and should be noticeable. How much is up to you.
Of course I don't know how important 1080p still is to you.

Thanks man. And I only have an Xbox One, so no HDR. But there's an option on the TV called HDMI ultra HD deep Colour. I tried to enable it and it works. But I'm not sure if I should enable it.

I also tried using the HDR picture mode but it looks incredibly dull. A friend of mine said you can still more or less let the TV force HDR even if the console doesn't support it. Is that true or utter nonsense?

It doesn't hurt to enable HDMI Ultra HD Deep Colour, though it doesn't offer you any advantage when using a device that doesn't support HDR.

No, if the device/console doesn't send any HDR signal, then your TV won't display it.
As for HDR emulation, there's "HDR Effect", but don't use that.

It doesn't hurt to enable HDMI Ultra HD Deep Colour, though it doesn't offer you any advantage when using a device that doesn't support HDR.

As for HDR emulation, there's "HDR Effect", but don't use that.

Yeah looks very dull. In the Rtings review I saw that it has a nice low input lag when at 4K and HDR but I assume that option only appears when a 4K and HDR capable device is connected, right? Which in my case would be the One X later this year.

Last but not least I don't have to enable any setting for upscaling do I? In my Xbox I can only select 1080p which is normal but the Tv upscales, correct?

teiresias

It's taking every ounce of will power for me not to replace a perfectly working 50" Kuro plasma with a 65" LG OLED. I have improvements to the house to be spending money on!!! (That, and reading AVSForum makes it sound like every OLED has horrible vignetting and banding which has me paranoid - though my Kuro has a bit of DSE that doesn't bother me).

Hi TV-gaf. I want to buy an oled tv-set. Any recommendation? Were the LG oled input lag problems fixed?

If you're referring to HDR gaming, then yes, LG released a FW update that lowers the input lag to 34 ms for C6/E6 and to 28 ms for the B6.

LG B6 for best price/performance.
Or LG C6/E6 for additional 3D.
For lowest input lag a 2017 LG OLED (21 ms).

For best motion a Sony A1 OLED TV.

It's taking every ounce of will power for me not to replace a perfectly working 50" Kuro plasma with a 65" LG OLED. I have improvements to the house to be spending money on!!! (That, and reading AVSForum makes it sound like every OLED has horrible vignetting and banding which has me paranoid - though my Kuro has a bit of DSE that doesn't bother me).

Vignetting is basically not a problem anymore. Vertical banding can still be a problem, but in that case LG will offer a panel swap or you just return it if the story policy makes that possible.

Yes, the TV does the upscaling.

"HDR game" picture profile only appears when playing a HDR game.

Ok good to know. One last thing, I was surprised to see that the speakers are Harman Kardon. What would you say is a good audio setting for gaming so I get good treble and bass?

Price range? C7 if you don't care, B6 if you're looking for a less exepensive and practically as good TV.

Grats! Welcome to the lg OLED family.

Thanks man. I kinda was part of the family already, but that was the 1080p family. We're 4K now baby. Well not exactly, not yet until I get a One X. I don't have a 4K Blu ray player, so the only 4K material right now will be YouTube and maybe next month I'll upgrade Netflix.

Could anyone recommend a good wall mount for an LG 65" OLED65B7P? I will be getting the TV sometime in the next week, so I've been looking online for wall mounts. Never having bought one, it's hard to know what to look for, and there are so many options.

I bought this one for my 65" B6 and it is very sturdy and well made...something you can feel confident about hanging a $2500-$3000 TV on.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072MQT5Q8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

After following OLEDs for two years I did exactly that back in December. No issues with the TV at all. I'd been so happy with my Kuro that I was wondering how much the OLED would impress me, aside from the increase in screen size. It still blew me away, especially watching 4K demos I'd downloaded to a USB stick, and the 4K content that Netflix and Amazon video have to offer.

Do it, you won't regret it!

Leedogg

interesting little factoid that you might be interested in mosquitosmasher....If you are wondering when your tv was produced. Take a look at your first three digits of your serial number. If it starts with a 6 it was produced in 2016. So for example: 610 would be October 2016. If it starts in a 7 that would be 2017. Like my 55E6 which I got in early March. It was a 701. (January 2017)

No problem man. I said it was the last thing but actually one more thing.

The setting clear panel noise. That's brand new to me but I'm not exactly sure what it does?

You can ignore that option.
That's the big compensation cycle (e.g. against image retention) which you can run manually, but experts usually recommend to refrain from doing so since it runs automatically after every 2000 hours of operation.
More importantly there's also the smaller one that runs in standby after 4 hours of accumulated usage.

Kyoufu

I had my second big compensation cycle kick in automatically last week. That means I'm at 4000 ish hours in just under a year? @_____@

Taggen86

So it seems that my b6 2016 oled was not as future proof as I thought. Dolby vision which I believe will be big for games in the future (since it looks much better than HDR10 due to the dynamic metadata) is only possible in 1080p/60hz and 2160p/30hz on 2016 oleds while 2017 oleds can activate DV in 2160p/60 hz.

I draw this conclusion on the basis of two things.

First, there are videos out there showing that you can activate DV in 2160p/60hz in mass effect andromeda when using a C7 (2017 oled). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC5DiQYjlwQ

Second, lots of b6 oled users on neogaf and avsforum (me included) report that mass effect andromeda is only playable in DV 2160p/30hz which brings terrible input lag and is almost unplayable. 1080/60 is playable with ok levels of input lag, but who wants to game in 1080p on a 4k screen?

This is a bad sign for the future since 2017 oled users already have a DV game mode while 2016 users will probably not get it (but really needs it more). Not a happy b6 owner today =(

... Dolby vision which I believe will be big for games in the future (since it looks much better than HDR10 due to the dynamic metadata) is only possible in 1080p/60hz and 2160p/30hz on 2016 oleds while 2017 oleds can activate DV in 2160p/60 hz...

In the future, maybe, but not during this generation of TVs so I wouldn't worry. None of the consoles support DV for games so there isn't a huge driver on that front.

Secondly - and without doing in-depth read as I'm on the train - this looks like a bug rather than a flat out TV limitation?

Metfanant

I'm entertaining the idea of a new TV, I've been rocking my 67" Samsung LED DLP for quite some time now (obviously)...always been a Samsung guy, but the Vizio P-Series is right in my wheelhouse...I'll also need a new receiver to go with it, as my Only 616 can't pass through 4k video...

However...TV GAF...am I stupid for thinking I should wait it out for HDMI 2.1? Obviously, I'm not concerned with ridiculous resolutions like 8k, but more so with the various benefits to HDR implementation that could come from the additional bandwidth...

Is this a dumb idea?

Midas

The speakers on the B6 are super bad compared to my old TV. Any sound suggestions? I don't have room for a fancy receiver etc, but some external speakers or so would be nice.

Top Bottom