• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Stiler

Thanks for the impressions Community Forum, glad you got what appears to be an excellent set.

Just wondering, if you turn the FALD off with a black picture (youtube > Blacklight test videos) how does the screen look?

Smokey

TCL 55P607 further impressions!

Got all my gaming gear hooked up and here are some more impressions. First off, everything is very snappy... switching between the different HDMI inputs and such. I really like the Roku TV interface. I'm coming from a 2014 Sony 1080p TV.

I played around with a few settings (they save between inputs so that is nice), like putting the darkness down a couple notches, turning color up a bit to my liking, but that's all the tweaking I've done. There's a Roku TV app that lets you really get nitty gritty, but I'll wait until a pro provides some settings. There is a game mode for every input, but I have not used it yet. Haven't experienced anything bad so I am thinking whatever input lag is very small.

I don't have a 4K receiver, so the Xbox One S and PS4 Pro went to inputs one and two direct, with optical cable out to receiver (also supports Arc, maybe I'll set that up), and then the Switch, WiiU, and PS3 go through the receiver and to the TV, since they aren't 4K anyway.

There's many settings when HDR is activated (and you can tell the TV has switched because it will say HDR in the corner for a few seconds, even for games, or have the Dolby Vision logo). I don't know what they all do yet or which is the preferred for each instance, but the overall look does change when switching between them... there's HDR Dark, HDR Normal, HDR Bright, and the same for Dolby Vision. It saves all your settings even if you go back and forth between HDR and non-hdr so that's nice... once HDR kicks in it goes to your settings for that.

FIRST I wanted to see if there was any "blooming" or whatever people say. This set is FALD with 72 zones apparently. Like if there's something against what should be a completely dark screen would get a halo of light around it, so I found a Dolby logo. It passes the test. I don't see any blooming, the damn thing is a black screen!

Tried out some Forza Horizon 3 in HDR. I am used to my old TV being in TORCH MODE because that's all I could do to get it looking good. This looks very natural and more real.

I then popped in Planet Earth II 4K Blu-ray on the One S for a few minutes, and wow.

Next up is WipeOut Omega Collection on PS4 Pro, which is native 4K 60fps. Looks great, and again much more real looking than my old torch mode tv.

Booted up the Switch to see if there were any "upscaling" problems, and everything looked great. Here is Shantae. I looked during the cutscenes to see if there was any "light bleeding" into the letterbox area, but it was completely clean.

So I guess if anything major pops up during usage I'll give an update. I am sure that a $2,000 TV would look better, but at this price I am very satisfied.

Thanks man

I'm really considering getting this tv to hold me over until OLED in 2018, and then move this to a secondary room. At $600 it's very much within impulse territory for such a item.

How hard was it to get HDR working properly? Does each input have its own HDR setting, or if you set it once, it applies everywhere?

How hard was it to get HDR working properly? Does each input have its own HDR setting, or if you set it once, it applies everywhere?

HDR just happens automatically. Yes every input has separate HDR settings and they all save. For instance on the built in Amazon Video channel I went with HDR Normal, but on Xbox I went for HDR Bright.

Oh really?

tenor.gif

;)

902 is a beast, it was also the only other TV I considered buying after demoing. My Z9D just got updated last night with Dolby Vision support too which is awesome!

Haha they are both awesome, and yeah now you have another bullet point over the DX!

The thing for me is that people just say the ZD is better, but it's not accurate, there's loads of areas that the DX excels at, and for me a big one being RFI, it's much nicer than BFI on the ZD, no flicker or dimmed screen etc with 1080 lines of motion res, and it's pixel response is much faster than the ZD.

Anyway looks like the TCL is better than the both of ours ;)

jonno394

I'm at work at the moment and thinking about connecting my Wii to my Samsung KU6300 TV so I can play some GC titles, but just realised I don't think I have the five component sockets, it looks like this.

387404-lcdledoledtvs-samsung-un60ku6300-d-3.jpg

Anyone advise me how I'm supposed to connect this thing?

Theonik

I got the itch to connect my Wii to my Samsung KU6300 TV so I can play some GC titles, but just realised I don't have the five component sockets

Should have come with an adapter in the box.

I got the itch to connect my Wii to my Samsung KU6300 TV so I can play some GC titles, but just realised I don't have the five component sockets

You should have got some adaptors to go into those two 3.5mm sockets. Though I have heard of cases where they weren't supplied(as in just not something they decided to include as standard).

Been reading alot of this thread but been having a really hard time deciding on a 65" 4k TV to get. Doesn't help that all the new models just came in at my local stores so alot of this discussion in this thread is about models I can't even buy now. Also doesn't help being in Australia where we either get different models or models are named something else, mostly seems to be LG.

If anyone has the time and could browse 65" 4k's on www.jbhifi.com.au and can give some recommendations that would be incredibly helpful.

Stevey

I'm at work at the moment and thinking about connecting my Wii to my Samsung KU6300 TV so I can play some GC titles, but just realised I don't think I have the five component sockets, it looks like this.

I have this lead, came with my old TV IIRC

mCbmrQ2.jpg

jonno394

Should have come with an adapter in the box.

You should have got some adaptors to go into those two 3.5mm sockets. Though I have heard of cases where they weren't supplied(as in just not something they decided to include as standard).

Things are never simple, I definitely haven't got one, or if I did I never thought I'd ever use it and I probably tossed it :/

Now to try and find one somewhere to buy.

shockdude

Sewell Wii to HDMI converter.
HDMI has significantly less input lag than the component input on my TV at least, and the Sewell adapter in particular has been tested with PC monitors to be only 3ms laggier than a CRT. Picture and audio quality is great, too.

Macaco84

I mentioned earlier in the thread i would give my impressions on the sony xe90 (65 inch) given i was receiving this in exchange for my faulty Oled65e6. Note that this arrangement wasnt by choice - my oled was ex display and a like4like replacement wasnt available. I was offered 10 percent off any set in the store but my budget was still the same so the range i had to choose from was naturally more midrange.

Initially i thought the drop in quality would be quite jarring but i am very pleased to say this hasnt been the case.

The sony set really does hold its own with most of the content i have thrown at it. I am no AV expert so i cant comment on the real technical stuff but using my own well trained eyes the differences are fairly small. The contrast in particular is superb on the sony set. I bought the set for exactly this reason and i feel my purchase has been validated. I played a few ps4 pro games and watched some Netflix 4k to really give it a workout and for the most part the contrast levels are exceptional. Although i did need to tinker with the black level and local dimming settings to get it just right.

What i do like about this set compared to the oled is the motion handling. With the oled i could not watch movies in game mode as the judder was really quite bad. I would need to switch to another mode each time to put the motion smothing on. A minor inconvenience perhaps but it is nice to just leave the sony set on game mode when doing anything on my ps4 pro. There is some very minor judder with panning but only noticeable if you look for it.

The panel uniformity is also very good on the sony. Not perfect - in bright scenes there is a very faint dirty screen look but the vertical banding nightmare of my oled is history.

I also quite like the remote, contrary to most reviews. It is easy to use, responsive and looks quite nice i think.

I guess if i have one concern it is the lack of dolby hdr support that the oled had. Although it does support HLG so is future proof for broadcast hdr content.

Also a shout out for the sound on the sony. It cant match the levels of the lg integrated soundbar but it isnt as bad as i feared. When playing games and movies the sounds still retained depth. It will suffice until i buy a soundbar.

All in all, unless you are a hardcore AV fan, i cant say there is a dramatic difference between the sets. For sure the colours do pop a little bit more on the oled and i will miss the ridiculously thin screen but for day to day viewing it is really superb and I wholly recommend.

I mentioned earlier in the thread i would give my impressions on the sony xe90 (65 inch) given i was receiving this in exchange for my faulty Oled65e6. Note that this arrangement wasnt by choice - my oled was ex display and a like4like replacement wasnt available. I was offered 10 percent off any set in the store but my budget was still the same so the range i had to choose from was naturally more midrange.

Initially i thought the drop in quality would be quite jarring but i am very pleased to say this hasnt been the case.

The sony set really does hold its own with most of the content i have thrown at it. I am no AV expert so i cant comment on the real technical stuff but using my own well trained eyes the differences are fairly small. The contrast in particular is superb on the sony set. I bought the set for exactly this reason and i feel my purchase has been validated. I played a few ps4 pro games and watched some Netflix 4k to really give it a workout and for the most part the contrast levels are exceptional. Although i did need to tinker with the black level and local dimming settings to get it just right.

What i do like about this set compared to the oled is the motion handling. With the oled i could not watch movies in game mode as the judder was really quite bad. I would need to switch to another mode each time to put the motion smothing on. A minor inconvenience perhaps but it is nice to just leave the sony set on game mode when doing anything on my ps4 pro. There is some very minor judder with panning but only noticeable if you look for it.

The panel uniformity is also very good on the sony. Not perfect - in bright scenes there is a very faint dirty screen look but the vertical banding nightmare of my oled is history.

I also quite like the remote, contrary to most reviews. It is easy to use, responsive and looks quite nice i think.

I guess if i have one concern it is the lack of dolby hdr support that the oled had. Although it does support HLG so is future proof for broadcast hdr content.

Also a shout out for the sound on the sony. It cant match the levels of the lg integrated soundbar but it isnt as bad as i feared. When playing games and movies the sounds still retained depth. It will suffice until i buy a soundbar.

All in all, unless you are a hardcore AV fan, i cant say there is a dramatic difference between the sets. For sure the colours do pop a little bit more on the oled and i will miss the ridiculously thin screen but for day to day viewing it is really superb and I wholly recommend.

How does it fare in a dark room, with white on black as it were?

TheBoss1

EDIT: This is for the TCL P607

Just read this from an Amazon review:

Can't enable local dimming while game mode is turned on. Game mode makes the input lag feel incredibly quick and smooth, but it disables local dimming, which means the HDR experience in HDR-enabled games will not be as good as it could be.

DieH@rd

Banned
But according to Rtings the KU6300 has higher luminosity than the X800D...?

Edit: the X800D has a VA panel and wide color gamut. The Sammy has VA panel but no wide color gamut.

Brightness means nothing if TV cannot deliver WCG. Thats the point of HDR, to show more detail.

tuco11

Does the TCL come with a digital tuner built in? Shame about the FALD being off in game mode. I mostly play fps games so I want lowest input lag possible. I wonder if they can update that with a firmware upgrade? I am holding out for the 50 inch later this yr which is rumored to be $500. figured i would get TV first then Xbox one X next year.

TheBoss1

It's good thing then that even outside game mode this TV has low lag. :)

Source?

EDIT: Found it. http://www.avsforum.com/tcl-55-p-series-model-55p607-4k-hdr-roku-tv-with-dolby-vision-first-look/

Input lag is extremely good; I expect this TV will be popular with gamers. I can't test 4K lag, but with 1080p I measured lag times in Movie mode at 26.4 milliseconds (top of screen) and 34 milliseconds (middle of screen). Turning on Game mode within Movie mode resulted in lag times of 10.3 milliseconds (top of screen) and 14.5 milliseconds (middle of screen), which are exceptional for a TV.

Switching to HDR, input lag (again 1080p) was an astonishingly low 6.5 milliseconds (top of screen) and 14.1 milliseconds (middle of screen). I quadruple-checked that result, given how great those numbers are. I have not yet gamed on this TV, but I expect a fluid experience. I also appreciate how Game mode preserves the calibrated colors.

Notably, SDR Movie mode input lag is so low, you don't need to engage to have a great gaming experience in SDR. You can opt for optimal picture quality without adding noticeable latency.

The longest measured lag came from 1080p HDR content and Game mode turned off. That combination measured 57.4 milliseconds (top of screen) and 68.1 milliseconds (middle of screen).

So it's okay outside game mode (34 ms) except when HDR is enabled (68 ms).

I currently have a Sony KDL-70W850B (70", 1080p) and I'm aiming to get a 65" 4K w/HDR and low input lag.

Is the LG C7 still the cream of the crop as far as picture quality and input lag? I noticed the KS8000 has sort of disappeared and it looks like the latest Samsung sets aren't as good.

My only concern is CNET never updated their review of the C7 to give us the input lag measurements while in 4K HDR mode. That would be the optimal mode for me and I can't deal with lag worse than my KDL.

Have you guys tried to use that TCL as a TV? We watch some shows from TV almost daily, so it would be nice if they worked well in that regard.

Mostly I'm thinking about menus and such, my old tv changes channels really slowly. And if I want to set my headphone volume, I need to dive in the options to find the right menu... Oh, and EPG is almost impossible to use, it just doesn't show things. And it takes literally minutes to load.

TheBoss1

I currently have a Sony KDL-70W850B (70", 1080p) and I'm aiming to get a 65" 4K w/HDR and low input lag.

Is the LG C7 still the cream of the crop as far as picture quality and input lag? I noticed the KS8000 has sort of disappeared and it looks like the latest Samsung sets aren't as good.

My only concern is CNET never updated their review of the C7 to give us the input lag measurements while in 4K HDR mode. That would be the optimal mode for me and I can't deal with lag worse than my KDL.

4k @ 60Hz + HDR: 21.1 ms

Source: http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c7

It's good thing then that even outside game mode this TV has low lag. :)

Yes. I set up HDMI ARC to my receiver just now, and decided to put a rhythm game to the test. If anything would show lag it would be a rhythm game. This is with game mode turned OFF. I tested Superbeat Xonic on the PS4 Pro. I hit every note exactly. There is an option in the Xonic menu to calibrate lag, and I did not need it, it is set to 0ms. Now I am positive this set doesn't have zero input lag, but in my case it might as well be. Amazing.

Since I won't be 4K gaming anytime soon but will be gaming on a 65 inch 4K TV with games that have resolutions like 720p, 900p and 1080p.....what is a good distance to sit from for that? I know now that for 4K I definitely should sit closer than with full HD and sub HD.

Since I won't be 4K gaming anytime soon but will be gaming on a 65 inch 4K TV with games that have resolutions like 720p, 900p and 1080p.....what is a good distance to sit from for that? I know now that for 4K I definitely should sit closer than with full HD and sub HD.

I never understood the whole sit closer to appreciate 4k/sitting too far away to enjoy 4k. When I had a 1080p set I sat as close as possible when gaming. Now that I have a 4k, I still sit at the exact same distance.

My eyes can tell if it's a crystal clear 4k image or a very clear 1080p image from across the room.

My advice: When gaming sit as close as possible. Get up in there. Make yourself comfortable.

I just received the news that the 65B6 will be delivered tomorrow. That's a fantastic surprise when I totally expected Monday.

Nice!

Get some weekend time to get it set up and break it in!

At this point I would hold off on purchasing an HDTV until all tvs comes equipped with HDMI 2.1.

Yes and no. That's very situational. We know so little about it at this point (other than what the actual spec is), I don't think it's enough reason to say "don't buy a new TV." Esp since we aren't likely to know any more until CES next year.

Stiler

5.4-8'ish foot or so, just try it at 5.4 and see how it works, if it seems to close then move further back until you feel comfortable, or even sit closer if 5.4 seems too far away.

I game at 1080p on my pc and using a monitor arm it's pretty close to me.

funcojoe

How much of a difference does hdr make? I have a curved 4k Samsung, 2015 set without it.

I'm wondering if I should get a new set for the 1x but my spare income is limited to a few things this year I want.

4khdr set
Ps4pro
1x
New lens for my camera which runs 1,500.00
I can only afford to get two out of those, after Christmas I can grab the other two.

So do I grab the ps4pro and 1x and play on my current 4k set, or go with the 1x and a new tv.

The lens can wait, so I guess it boils down to getting the new tv with a 1x or a pro and 1x.

Help.

Reallink

So can I get a 65" 4K oled for under 2k yet?

The problem with owning a 65 inch tv is there's no turning back. ��

Not routinely, but if you follow sales, Fry's has very recently ran $2199 deals on the 65" 2016's. Cleveland AV (a long time, well regarded AVS sponsor) is also reputed to offer some good deals on them.

How much of a difference does hdr make? I have a curved 4k Samsung, 2015 set without it.

Big difference. Trying to explain HDR to people who've never seen the benefits is tough. It's easy to explain more pixels. How do you explain more/better colors, improved dark scene detail to people who feel like 1080p bluray is the pinnacle?

4k affects resolution and image clarity, HDR affects image quality. 4k makes games look clean and crisp. HDR makes them pop.

I never understood the whole sit closer to appreciate 4k/sitting too far away to enjoy 4k. When I had a 1080p set I sat as close as possible when gaming. Now that I have a 4k, I still sit at the exact same distance.

My eyes can tell if it's a crystal clear 4k image or a very clear 1080p image from across the room.

My advice: When gaming sit as close as possible. Get up in there. Make yourself comfortable.

Same here man. But that's only because I found sitting too close to a sub HD game just ugly. Take a game that suffers from bad aliasing, the closer you sit the clearer you see that ugly stuff. Surely most of that is gone with PS4 Pro and with Xbox One X later this year as well and then I can easily sit much closer.

Of course also the fact that I wanted some free space in my living room so I could fit a small table (for snacks, drinks, Surface) there.

Nice!

Get some weekend time to get it set up and break it in!

Ah yes I should make sure to do that. I've owned several plasma TVs in my life and previously a full HD OLED and I never really have been too careful breaking it in. Maybe I should though. Basically I should avoid using max contrast and OLED light setting and also avoid static images like a HUD for example, right?

5.4-8'ish foot or so, just try it at 5.4 and see how it works, if it seems to close then move further back until you feel comfortable, or even sit closer if 5.4 seems too far away.

I game at 1080p on my pc and using a monitor arm it's pretty close to me.

I'll try that distance but sadly I'll be coping with sub HD and games with aliasing for a few more months, so chances are I'll put the couch farther away. :)

RedAssedApe

Banned
Yep, people getting estimates of july-aug for amazon now.

However both Best Buy and Costco are supposed to start putting them out fairly soon.

It's on bestbuys website now as well,
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55-...nmetal-chrome-accents/5878705.p?skuId=5878705

if anyone is in los angeles i see a store pickup for BB near Chino:

VDDC 724 LOS ANGELES
WAREHOUSE
(30.7 miles away)
Available Today - ready in 1 hour

not sure what that is. doesn't sound like a retail store.

So....perhaps a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway. I figured out how to enable HDR on my LG TV ("HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color"). So is there any real reason NOT to have this set to "On" at all times?

Could it make the picture quality worse on products that don't support HDR? Could it damage the TV? Really wondering if there's any drawback here.

Kyoufu

So....perhaps a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway. I figured out how to enable HDR on my LG TV ("HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color"). So is there any real reason NOT to have this set to "On" at all times?

Could it make the picture quality worse on products that don't support HDR? Could it damage the TV? Really wondering if there's any drawback here.

There are no drawbacks.

Top Bottom