• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

It's just such a wonderful TV that I'm getting much more use out of it than I ever did with my crappy plasma.

Can't argue with that! Who'd watch a shit TV for that amount of time ;)

So it seems that my b6 2016 oled was not as future proof as I thought. Dolby vision which I believe will be big for games in the future (since it looks much better than HDR10 due to the dynamic metadata) is only possible in 1080p/60hz and 2160p/30hz on 2016 oleds while 2017 oleds can activate DV in 2160p/60 hz.

I base this on two things.

First, there are videos out there showing that you can activate DV in 2160p/60hz in mass effect andromeda when using a C7 (2017 oled). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC5DiQYjlwQ

Second, lots of b6 oled users on neogaf and avsforum (me included) report that mass effect andromeda is only playable in 2160p/30hz which brings terrible input lag and is almost unplayable. 1080/60 is playable with ok levels of input lag, but who wants to game in 1080p on a 4k screen?

This is a bad sign for the future since 2017 oled users are also more likely to get a DV game mode while 2016 users will probably not get it (but needs it more). Not a happy b6 owner today =(

That's pretty annoying, and something no one would have considered when purchasing it, but granted there's not much in the way of DV enabled games though, still you'd have thought clicking on DV in ME was just a formality and not something that would be gimped.

I'd feel pissed off too.

I just want someone to fix HDR for Windows at the mo, it's stopping me from playing ME.

So i just checked it, i was curious how far away i'm sitting from the 65 inch and it's about 2.60meters. I can sit a bit closer but all the ugly things about these 720p games really stand out then, they already do. The bigger the screen, the more easy to notice when a game is rather blurry and ugly aliasing. Games like Battlefront, Titanfall 2 and MEA were pretty decent on the 55 inch full HD OLED but with a screen this big you just really notice it quite easily.

Pretty logical but i can't wait to get that Xbox One X. Maybe around that time i'll put my couch closer. :) For now i'll just use the game mode. default settings mostly.

Are there any things on Youtube i really must watch on this TV?

BumRush

The speakers on the B6 are super bad compared to my old TV. Any sound suggestions? I don't have room for a fancy receiver etc, but some external speakers or so would be nice.

I have a $150 Vizio sound bar that sounds infinitely better than TV speakers. Go that route.

I'm entertaining the idea of a new TV, I've been rocking my 67" Samsung LED DLP for quite some time now (obviously)...always been a Samsung guy, but the Vizio P-Series is right in my wheelhouse...I'll also need a new receiver to go with it, as my Only 616 can't pass through 4k video...

However...TV GAF...am I stupid for thinking I should wait it out for HDMI 2.1? Obviously, I'm not concerned with ridiculous resolutions like 8k, but more so with the various benefits to HDR implementation that could come from the additional bandwidth...

Is this a dumb idea?

Waiting for 2.1 is what I'm doing. Would like to be future proofed for 5 years and I figure I'll get (something close to) that with a 4k 2.1 TV

I'm looking at the LG C7 55 inch as an upgrade and one detail that caught my eye was 1080p 120hz for PC. Anybody have experience with that?

It's an enticing feature, even though I'd switch from it and 4K 60hz depending on the game.

Taggen86

I guess we do not know if it is a SoC limitation or if it is a bug in ME:A right now. Really hope it is the latter but I am afraid it is the former.

In the future, maybe, but not during this generation of TVs so I wouldn't worry. None of the consoles support DV for games so there isn't a huge driver on that front.

Secondly - and without doing in-depth read as I'm on the train - this looks like a bug rather than a flat out TV limitation?

This whole HDR thing is new to me, but by firing up Youtube, the app on the TV itself it should show a HDR video, right? So i enabled HDMI Ultra HD Deep Colour, what else do i need to do? I tried out the HDR effect picture mode but it didn't really seem all that different or better for that matter.

Schlomo

I'm looking at the LG C7 55 inch as an upgrade and one detail that caught my eye was 1080p 120hz for PC. Anybody have experience with that?

What do you want to know? Personally, I tried it with a few games, but I always ended up preferring 4k 60hz. 1080p does look a little blurry on this TV once you get used to 4k.

One thing I wondered about is how you could set up downsampling for use with 1080p 120. Normal DSR isn't available when you have a 4k display connected.

This whole HDR thing is new to me, but by firing up Youtube, the app on the TV itself it should show a HDR video, right? So i enabled HDMI Ultra HD Deep Colour, what else do i need to do? I tried out the HDR effect picture mode but it didn't really seem all that different or better for that matter.
Among the 2016 LG OLEDs only the G6 supports the required VP9.2 profile for Youtube HDR. Unlikely that it'll change.

Among the 2016 LG OLEDs only the G6 supports the required VP9.2 profile for Youtube HDR. Unlikely that it'll change, so you'll have to rely on other devices for Youtube HDR.

Awww...just my luck.

So basically even if i had a Xbox One S and i'd fire up Youtube on there it wouldn't matter? So for me it's going to be games and actual blu ray movies only with HDR? (And Netflix if i upgrade)

Lima

Awww...just my luck.

So basically even if i had a Xbox One S and i'd fire up Youtube on there it wouldn't matter? So for me it's going to be games and actual blu ray movies only with HDR? (And Netflix if i upgrade)

No he is talking about the app on the TV.

The app on Xbox would work fine except I don't know if the app even supports HDR yet.

And immediately upgrade your Netflix bro. What the hell. That's the single best thing you can do right now for just $2 more.

No he is talking about the app on the TV.

The app on Xbox would work fine except I don't know if the app even supports HDR yet.

And immediately upgrade your Netflix bro. What the hell. That's the single best thing you can do right now for just $2 more.

I'll do that as soon as possible. I really hope our country has some nice shows/movies with HDR on Netflix though.

I've just now watched Digital Foundry's video for their picture settings of this TV. At the moment they appear incredibly dull to me, for example i always have things like super resolution at at least medium and they have it off. But i'll give it a shot. I noticed how they have settings like HDR Standard and Game, which i don't have, but i assume that's because i haven't connected a Xbox One S or PS4 Pro to it, right?

Stiler

Awww...just my luck.

You could always hook your pc up to the tv or receiver (if you're using a receiver) if you want to test youtube hdr videos.

It's an enticing feature, even though I'd switch from it and 4K 60hz depending on the game.

Yes.

I now play Overwatch on pc in 1080p (with 140ish % super sampling) and 120hz on my c7. It looks amazing. I actually prefer it to 4k60 currently. I still play most other stuff at 60 but OW looks super smooth at 120hz

That's not a bad idea at all. I can connect my Surface via HDMI tomorrow and try it out.
As for HDR i don't need a special HDMI cable, a standard work is fine?

You may need a new one. Some older shorter cables work, some don't. You need one that's certified for 4k/hdr due to ththe increased bandwidth. There are some older cables that were built to exceed the bandwidth requirements anyway so may still work. Try what you have and only get a new one if those don't work. Prolly 5-10 bucks on Amazon if you need a new one.

E: Cinnamon is a really good cable. For sure try it first. I just picked up Oceans to go with my new set =)

What do you want to know? Personally, I tried it with a few games, but I always ended up preferring 4k 60hz. 1080p does look a little blurry on this TV once you get used to 4k.

One thing I wondered about is how you could set up downsampling for use with 1080p 120. Normal DSR isn't available when you have a 4k display connected.

Yes.

I now play Overwatch on pc in 1080p (with 140ish % super sampling) and 120hz on my c7. It looks amazing. I actually prefer it to 4k60 currently. I still play most other stuff at 60 but OW looks super smooth at 120hz

Thanks. I was just wondering if it works, well, how I expected it to work. No frame interpolation weirdness.

It's a nifty option to have for certain games. Although I can't exactly take advantage of it with my current PC build. One big purchase at a time.

Midas

I have a $150 Vizio sound bar that sounds infinitely better than TV speakers. Go that route.

Waiting for 2.1 is what I'm doing. Would like to be future proofed for 5 years and I figure I'll get (something close to) that with a 4k 2.1 TV

Ah, great idea. Totally forgot about sound bars. Thanks. :)

Stiler

That's not a bad idea at all. I can connect my Surface via HDMI tomorrow and try it out.
As for HDR i don't need a special HDMI cable, a standard one is fine?

Or well..it's not that standard, years ago i bought this for a nice price:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/audioquest-cinnamon-6-6-hdmi-cable-black-red/9510709.p?skuId=9510709

HDR needs no special cable, as long as you have a high speed hdmi cable that's all you need.

BTW you don't need to spend that much a cable in the future, these cables will work just as well:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024021&p_id=15429&seq=1&format=2

Metfanant

I just bought a brand new 2017 Denon receiver with HDR support. Would it be HDMI 2.1 compatible?

Below is the truth...however, I'd wager that since the 2.1 spec wasn't finalized until this year, that very few, if any 2017 model AV equipment will be 2.1 compatible

No clear answer on this. We will not have an answer until after the finalized spec has been released.

tokkun

I just bought a brand new 2017 Denon receiver with HDR support. Would it be HDMI 2.1 compatible?

There are no HDMI 2.1 receivers yet. I have not heard of any of the companies talk about upgrades either, which is interesting since a number did Aura and Atmos upgrades. So I wouldn't expect much.

It would not surprise me if it takes several years before you see all HDMI 2.1 features available on consumer-grade AVRs. They probably won't put the 8K / 10K support in until there are consumer displays that support it. I also have a feeling that object-based audio will be something they reserve for the high-end prosumer models at first.

Don't even think it's currently possibly to play a Youtube HDR video on PC.
You would need something like the new Chromecast.

Found a newer B6 (Europe) FW: 04.31.12
http://www.lg.com/de/support/service-produkt/lg-OLED55B6D

Hmmm it's in German. Does it say anything abut what has been improved here?

I have a feeling the upscaler on this TV is not as good as my old EC9300. Just now I fired up Zelda on the Wii U and oh my did it look extremely blurry. Didn't matter which picture mode I selected.

That being said, I do think I should be more careful the first few hours with this TV. Just now I already noticed some clear retention on a gray background. I guess I shouldn't use the default game settings right now that use very high contrast and OLED light. I like it like that though but I should ease down right now.

BumRush

Below is the truth...however, I'd wager that since the 2.1 spec wasn't finalized until this year, that very few, if any 2017 model AV equipment will be 2.1 compatible

Agreed. I think we see it in a ton of things next year but I doubt many 2017 items will ever have it.

Hmmm it's in German. Does it say anything abut what has been improved here?
If you click on "Bezug", it opens up and says the following (in english), whatever that's supposed to mean:

• 1. Improvement
    1) To improve issue that the number of the user-modified HEVC channel is automatically recovered to the original number

I have a feeling the upscaler on this TV is not as good as my old EC9300. Just now I fired up Zelda on the Wii U and oh my did it look extremely blurry. Didn't matter which picture mode I selected.

That being said, I do think I should be more careful the first few hours with this TV. Just now I already noticed some clear retention on a gray background. I guess I shouldn't use the default game settings right now that use very high contrast and OLED light. I like it like that though but I should ease down right now.
I only really saw some image retention (PS4 menus) at the beginning.
Give the TV 2-3 compensation cycles (as explained above, a cycle starts when the TV is in standby after 4 hours of accumulated usage) and you should be good.

Stiler

That's quite a nice price actually. Hmm interesting.

Edit: actually that 70' price are quite a steal......

It's not a bad price but it's not fald and has no local dimming. You can find a 2016 65" oled for around low 2k if you look.

Hard to go back to non FALD/OLED tv's after seeing them side by side.

Yjynx

It's not a bad price but it's not fald and has no local dimming. You can find a 2016 65" oled for around low 2k if you look.

Hard to go back to non FALD/OLED tv's after seeing them side by side.
Is there 70" range one at 1999?

Edit:
yeah there is. Gotta see the review then.

teiresias

After following OLEDs for two years I did exactly that back in December. No issues with the TV at all. I'd been so happy with my Kuro that I was wondering how much the OLED would impress me, aside from the increase in screen size. It still blew me away, especially watching 4K demos I'd downloaded to a USB stick, and the 4K content that Netflix and Amazon video have to offer.

Do it, you won't regret it!

Hehe, I actually really want to add a back porch onto my house to replace a crappy old concrete patio, and I think it will add a decent amount of value to the home, so I'll prioritize that, but the next bonus or performance award I get I'll probably jump right on to the OLED!!

You had a Kuro? Have you found the OLED throws less heat? My tv room is actually a small extra bedroom with only one AC vent so it gets pretty toasty in there after an hour or two. I've debated moving everything and making that smaller room into the guest room and making the larger guest room into the TV room so I have slightly more room and, more importantly, more AC vents, for keeping it cool in there.

Amneisac

For what it's worth, I'm really, really happy with my TCL P55607. It is replacing a Panasonic plasma that's moving to another part of the house, and I feel there is a pretty substantial improvement in most aspects of image quality. What a terrific value for $600.

Stiler

For what it's worth, I'm really, really happy with my TCL P55607. It is replacing a Panasonic plasma that's moving to another part of the house, and I feel there is a pretty substantial improvement in most aspects of image quality. What a terrific value for $600.

Do you have flashlighting on yours? (With fald off).

Should I wait until Black Friday/the holidays before I buy a 4k TV. I'm still rocking a Panasonic TH-50PZ77U 1080p Plasma from 2009. My 4k TV will need to have the following qualities:

At least 60" screen
HDR
True 4k display
Low response time because gaming, obviously.
Great picture quality, obviously.

What do you folks think?

Got the 850E setup, so far it's been nothing but frustration. Kind of over it at the moment.

First loaded up the in-built netflix app. Played house of cards to test some 4k streaming and it went to 2160p for about 3 seconds then cut down to 1080 and never moved again. Safe to assume ISP throttles it during peak time, so that's completely useless. Yes I upgraded my netflix subscription and I have 100mbit internet.

Then I loaded up Horizon Zero Dawn on the PS Pro. 4k+HDR looked pretty good however when I turned HDR off everything looked horrible, sub 1080p and unplayable. No idea what that was about and didn't want to spend the time trying to fix it at that time.

Apparently it's impossible to watch 2160p Youtube on this thing. Tried via PS Pro, Xbox One and in the in-built app. If I search 4k, I can watch one of those demo type videos with the special 4K icon but I really wanted to watch some of the Destiny 4k 60fps gameplay stuff, this turns out to be impossible without hooking up a laptop.

Then I tried Pacific Rim UHD Disk and World of Warcraft UHD Disk through the Xbox One, they were definitely 4K but I felt pretty underwhelmed. This could be a settings thing though.

Hehe, I actually really want to add a back porch onto my house to replace a crappy old concrete patio, and I think it will add a decent amount of value to the home, so I'll prioritize that, but the next bonus or performance award I get I'll probably jump right on to the OLED!!

You had a Kuro? Have you found the OLED throws less heat? My tv room is actually a small extra bedroom with only one AC vent so it gets pretty toasty in there after an hour or two. I've debated moving everything and making that smaller room into the guest room and making the larger guest room into the TV room so I have slightly more room and, more importantly, more AC vents, for keeping it cool in there.

My Kuro was an 8th generation bought in 2007, and it put out a good deal of heat. I suppose the B6 must put out some small degree of heat, but I've never really noticed it or thought about it, so yeah, it's a big improvement in that regard.

Metfanant

My thought process right now is waiting for Black Friday...if I can get a ridiculous deal on a 65" or 75" P-Series (2016 or 2017, doesn't matter) I'll bite...if not...I'll wait to see what 2018 sets offer as far as HDMI 2.1

If you click on "Bezug", it opens up and says the following (in english), whatever that's supposed to mean:

• 1. Improvement
    1) To improve issue that the number of the user-modified HEVC channel is automatically recovered to the original number

I only really saw some image retention (PS4 menus) at the beginning.
Give the TV 2-3 compensation cycles (as explained above, a cycle starts when the TV is in standby after 4 hours of accumulated usage) and you should be good.

Hmmm, I easily have been using it for four hours yesterday and then I turned it off into standby. So a cycle probably has already happened. This is a very nice feature.

What about a PS4P? Do they display HDR on the YouTube app??

I don't have one yet, next year I will get one. But a friend of mine comes here in July with his PS4 Pro and Horizon ZD, Ratchet, Uncharted 4 etc.

RomeoDog

Banned
Fingers crossed we may get firmware updates for VRR and Dynamic HDR compatibility.
I hope my e6 gets a hdr 10 + update. VRR has to be built into the tv but hdr10+ is being updated on Samsung so LG could match.

Learning Dolby Vision doesn't do 4k60hz is really bummer. Probably all frostbite games will be affected even though most run at 30fps anyway so maybe it's not thAt bad.

Amneisac

Do you have flashlighting on yours? (With fald off).

I'm not sure what you mean by flashlighting, is that like edge bleed? I turned off fald and ran some edge light bleed tests and had one slightly light corner, but it really isn't that noticeable and definitely not while gaming. (Fald turns off for game mode, which is my only con so far).

Top Bottom