• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Mrbob

Actually, the improvements are far from minor. Vincent Teoh, who's possibly the most thorough TV reviewer, estimated those at 35% between improved HDR, improved input lag, improved ABL (Automatic Brightness Limited) cleaner near black handling, and other improvements.

Whether those are worth the premium price is another matter entirely, but the picture quality is most definitely not equal.

?

I was under the impression the 2017 models all have the same picture quality. Unless you meant versus 2016 then yeah I agree about that there is a nice boost for 2017.

Thanks for another link to B7 review...cmon LG stop hiding this tv from consumers. I want to see the cost of the B7 versus the B6.

To be clear, I'm talking about HDR game mode. Uncharted/Wipout/Horizon look awful.

Yep I know. My pc and PS4 are hooked up to HDMI 1 in a non PC mode and the setting I have set it on the TV is game mode.

I USED to have it set to PC mode but I lost the ability to use real cinema. So switched it back to a normal HDMI input.

Looks fantastic. Sorry you are having issues man :(

Mrbob

Have anyone bought tvs from these "top rated sellers" on ebay.

Prices are significantly cheaper for brand new LG oleds and I'm wondering what the catch is.

Watch this:

You can disregard most of it (you're not gonna be running stuff above 1080p on a Surface I don't think...) but the last bit about going into NV control panel and setting to perform scaling on GPU is what you want.

Although as I say that out loud, it might not be necessary true if you're not running a discrete GPU (which Surface isn't) so probably nevermind!

I have the very first Surface Pro, so yeah probably not. Thanks for the help though man.

Are you running them directly to your tv or are you using an a/v receiver?

Because if you are using a receiver make sure you're passing through the video signal and letting the tv do the scaling, not the receiver.

Also if you have both turned on this can (iirc) cause artifacts and other issues from each one trying to scale the image with its own scaler.

No a/v receiver. The Xbox One goes straight to HDMI 1 on the TV. But it's like Redlineronin said, it has a soft look. Even 1080p games. But especially when a game is only 720p like Titanfall 2 for example. Zelda BOTW is actually rather damn ugly on the Wii U on this set.

Alexious

?

I was under the impression the 2017 models all have the same picture quality. Unless you meant versus 2016 then yeah I agree about that there is a nice boost for 2017.

Thanks for another link to B7 review...cmon LG stop hiding this tv from consumers. I want to see the cost of the B7 versus the B6.

Ah, apologies, I have misunderstood then.
I found an offer with the B7 priced at less than €200 more than the B6, so I chose the B7 of course!

Mrbob

I re-read what I wrote and it was a little confusing, no worries.

Still waiting on the B7 to be shown in the states. Ebay sellers are offering the 55B7P for $1900 with shipping but I'm not sure how legit they are. I kind of want to pounce on it.

MorshuTheTrader

Neo Member
Took the plunge last week and got my TCL P607 last Friday. TV is amazing for the price. There is some light bleed with FALD off, but I never turn it off so it's a non-issue for me.

Would very highly recommend for anyone looking to get into 4k/hdr on a budget.

Thoughts on the Sony KD-55XE93?
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/kd55xe9305-201703274446.htm

Looks right up my street for PC/PS4 Pro use to replace my trusty old Sony Bravia
It is a beast of a TV. It's like an cheaper version of the monstrous ZD9.
The conclusion of rtings:

"The Sony X930E 4K HDR TV is a great LED TV with top of the line picture quality. It's one of the brightest TVs we've reviewed, so it does great with HDR. It covers everything quite well as both motion and input lag are good. Its only real pitfall is the quite narrow viewing angle."

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x930e

It is a beast of a TV. It's like an cheaper version of the monstrous ZD9.
The conclusion of rtings:

"The Sony X930E 4K HDR TV is a great LED TV with top of the line picture quality. It's one of the brightest TVs we've reviewed, so it does great with HDR. It covers everything quite well as both motion and input lag are good. Its only real pitfall is the quite narrow viewing angle."

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x930e

Thanks. The article has got me thinking about the X900

Plus point is it's available at 49". Downside is HDR is not as bright. Shame I can't get a XE93 at 49/50".

I'll add this: A couple pages back there were some comments about audio quality. If you're going to spend $4k for an OLED, definitely budget for an audio system. The built in speakers on the C7 absolutely pale in comparison to my mid range speakers.

Audio is a significant part of the experience. You'll be doing yourself a huge favor.

Shit, so now instead of colour gamut issues with non-HDR games, 2017 OLEDs have issues with HDR games?

Sort out your damn game modes LG

I'll add this: A couple pages back there were some comments about audio quality. If you're going to spend $4k for an OLED, definitely budget for an audio system. The built in speakers on the C7 absolutely pale in comparison to my mid range speakers.

Audio is a significant part of the experience. You'll be doing yourself a huge favor.

I agree but in saying that, my Kuro had absolutely abysmal speakers and I paid 8000AUD back then for it 😂😂😂

Shit, so now instead of colour gamut issues with non-HDR games, 2017 OLEDs have issues with HDR games?

Sort out your damn game modes LG

The poster on this page is, unfortunately for him, in the minority. His issues sound extremely bizzare because I have not read about his issue anywhere on AVS forums or in this thread. Scary stuff though. Game mode and HDR is working perfectly for me along with basically everyone else :/

ncslamm

Best Buy now has the new TCL 55inch for $599. I was able to get it shipped to my local store for Saturday delivery. Can anybody who has bought one tell me the box dimensions? Only reason I'm asking is I don't have much room in my car without laying the back seat down. I may have to get help from a friend.

NYR

Every time I turn off my LG E6 I get a message about clear panel noise?

Anyone know what this is about?

Kambing

Yeah, it's weird. In HDR Game mode setting everything becomes super dim. OLED light is at 100. Not sure if this is normal, or what. In HDR standard it looks great. Game mode just kills the picture. It's the dimmest setting of the bunch.

EDIT: HDR Standard looks great. HDR Game continues to look super dim. I'm pretty tired and frustrated, so will worry about this tomorrow. This is doubly frustrating because I'm "upgrading" from an E6, since I wanted the lower input lag, and can't for the life of me get it to look as good as I remember the E6 being.

Mate I have a feeling I know what's up. Did you update the TV to the latest firmware? Are you using PC Input?

First things first, do NOT update to the latest firmware if you care about HDR gaming in PC input. Update to the latest firmware if you care about correct colors in SDR for PC input.

I recommend updating to latest firmware as accurate SDR color and low input lag is important for me. When playing SDR content, switch input to PC mode. When playing HDR content, switch input to anything other than PC mode, and play in HDR game mode.

To make sure that you are not experiencing any black level issues, do the following:

1. HD Deep Color is on for HDMI input
2. Set black level on PS4 to limited
3. Set black level on TV to low in HDR mode
4. In HDR game mode, make color temperature W45, sharpness 0, color gamut auto
5. In Horizon Zero Dawn HDR implementation is overly dark on OLED, turn brightness to 70-75 for dark room, 80-90 in lit rooms.
6. In Uncharted 4, brightness setting left at default of 5 is good for dark rooms, increase to 6-7 in lit rooms.

God speed

The poster on this page is, unfortunately for him, in the minority. His issues sound extremely bizzare because I have not read about his issue anywhere on AVS forums or in this thread. Scary stuff though. Game mode and HDR is working perfectly for me along with basically everyone else :/

Are you in the US? And did you update to the latest firmware LG released via the TV (was never available on web)? If you did upgrade to 3.60.09, I've not seen a report where HDR game is NOT screwed up in PC input...

Are you in the US? And did you update to the latest firmware LG released via the TV (was never available on web)? If you did upgrade to 3.60.09, I've not seen a report where HDR game is NOT screwed up in PC input...

I'm not, I'm in Australia with untouched retail softeare (unsure of the number I am at work at the moment)

Can you link me to these comments regarding this? Not that I am doubting you. Quite the opposite. I want to read just in case to ensure that I do not update to said firmware! Because that is some fucked up shit.

Kambing

I'm not, I'm in Australia with untouched retail softeare (unsure of the number I am at work at the moment)

Can you link me to these comments regarding this? Not that I am doubting you. Quite the opposite. I want to read just in case to ensure that I do not update to said firmware! Because that is some fucked up shit.

Here you go, will have to peruse the post though: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...017-lg-c7-b7-owners-thread-no-price-talk.html

Well to be honest with you, I have the C7 and did upgrade to the latest firmware. Also had a professional calibration done on my display. The calibrator confirmed that HDR is completely messed up in PC input, in all modes. There is a black wash over the entire color.

Yes it is fucked up, but at the same time, at least HDR game mode outside of PC input works the same way it would work in PC input if it wasn't messed up. Input lag is the same, colors the same. The downside is I can't use HDR Cinema User in PC input, with calibrated colors AND get the benefit of lower input lag. Pretty messed up indeed.

Here you go, will have to peruse the post though: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...017-lg-c7-b7-owners-thread-no-price-talk.html

Well to be honest with you, I have the C7 and did upgrade to the latest firmware. Also had a professional calibration done on my display. The calibrator confirmed that HDR is completely messed up in PC input, in all modes. There is a black wash over the entire color.

Yes it is fucked up, but at the same time, at least HDR game mode outside of PC input works the same way it would work in PC input if it wasn't messed up. Input lag is the same, colors the same. The downside is I can't use HDR Cinema User in PC input, with calibrated colors AND get the benefit of lower input lag. Pretty messed up indeed.

Ah yes, this is the thread i visit every day. I have not been there in the past few days though so i will catch up and try to find the comments.

Now that you are here, i am contemplating getting my set professionally calibrated. It is very expensive here though. Could you tell me, totally without any bias, if the difference is VERY large pre and post calibration?

Kambing

Ah yes, this is the thread i visit every day. I have not been there in the past few days though so i will catch up and try to find the comments.

Now that you are here, i am contemplating getting my set professionally calibrated. It is very expensive here though. Could you tell me, totally without any bias, if the difference is VERY large pre and post calibration?

For me, the calibration is 100% worth the money. The calibration cost roughly 10% of what I paid for the display. I really value getting things as close to 'reference' as possible, be it audio or video. I saw huge improvements in gamma, color and low black level detail.

The type of content you watch or use the TV for is what I would use to determine whether a calibration is worth it or not. If you watch a fair amount of movies/TV shows, then a calibration is absolutely worth it. At the very least, video content tends to be graded to a Rec 709/D65 standard. Greens, reds, blues and whites will all look like they should. You'd be surprised how skewed colors can be before a calibration!

If you will primarily be gaming on the set, honestly I would say it is not worth it. Video games are not really made/graded to a standard like video content is. Sure colors might be more accurate, but gamma is going to vary from one studio to another. Some might default to 2.3-2.4 gamma, which would benefit from a professional calibration, while the majority of studios make games on 2.2 gamma, if that! There just does not seem to be a standard, so there is really no 'reference' to target if you will.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I'll try and post some pictures - for what it's worth - and see if you can see what I mean.

HDR game mode is bad. It's extremely dim. And I don't think that the ps4 is the culprit, because even when I watch HDR content via Amazon and switch from Standard to Game, it just kills the picture quality.

I'm pretty disappointed by this. I understand that Game mode is a huge deal because people (me) buy these sets for gaming, but what's the point if the image becomes garbage?

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I'll try and post some pictures - for what it's worth - and see if you can see what I mean.

HDR game mode is bad. It's extremely dim. And I don't think that the ps4 is the culprit, because even when I watch HDR content via Amazon and switch from Standard to Game, it just kills the picture quality.

I'm pretty disappointed by this. I understand that Game mode is a huge deal because people (me) buy these sets for gaming, but what's the point if the image becomes garbage?

It's dimmer but not bad. If you want it a bit brighter and closer to HDR Standard, set Dynamic Contrast to Medium.

Evo X

The minute 77" OLED drops below $10k, I'm picking it up. Hoping that's a possibility for a C8 towards the end of next year. Happy with my C6 for now.

Yes i agree with you completely. If i had your issues i would probably look at returning my set! Game mode is NUMBER 1 priority for me!

Something I've noticed with my OLED (2016 E6).

Can't seem to get the judder / blur settings right for motion. Either I get way too much judder or I get crazy artifacts.

Was just trying to get it right for House of Cards S5 (in 4K) via Netflix. There's a scene in one of the episodes where there's a white window behind them and it judders like crazy. I know the show is done in

But when I turn it up (de-judder over 2 or 3) I get artifacting in other scenes like crazy.

Oddly I watched a standard blu-ray this weekend (Last of the Mohicans) and it was flawless. It should also have been 24fps but I didn't see a single artifact like I was seeing with House of Cards, and I don't recall any heavy judder.

Is this a bitrate thing or something, perhaps?

Also, getting occasional PS4 Pro signal dropouts, despite having everything (Onkyo NR656, TV, and PS4 Pro ) up to date. Frustrating.

Where where where?

Gigantti, in Finland.

If that's the same model, the model number is TCL U55P6046. It is a part of P60 series, and at least I think it is the series that everyone's raving about?

It has 4 HDMIs and lots of stuffs, got to go to work so can't be more specific.

EDIT. It's on sale until 25.6.2017.

Button

Banned
Cuningas de Häme;241392904 said:
Gigantti, in Finland.

If that's the same model, the model number is TCL U55P6046. It is a part of P60 series, and at least I think it is the series that everyone's raving about?

It has 4 HDMIs and lots of stuffs, got to go to work so can't be more specific.

EDIT. It's on sale until 25.6.2017.

Hmm, I don't think that's the right model. The one in Gigantti has Android TV, not Roku TV. Also the TV itself and the remote differ from P607.

Alright TV gaf. I tested some more with ME:A and DV. Indeed, turning on game mode in Dolby Vision helped to reduce the latency. It was still not great though. I (subjectively) felt like HDR10 in cinema was still less latency than DV in game mode.

I tweeted at rtings to see if they tested any of this yet. They turned off questions on their site. Idk where else to go to see if someone is going to test input latency on DV stuff.

Which ones better for gaming, this one or the ks8000?

KS but I doubt it's anywhere near that cheap.

E: Looks like a few deals around $900 from some random sites, but still hovering over $1K from anywhere reputable.

J-Rzez

Talk in this thread making me nervous about lg oled. Wish the Sony x900e had Dolby vision support.

What's to be nervous about OLED?

I had a EF9500 and now a A1E. I run my PC and PS4 on them. Tons of Directv Now, netflix, amazon, and UHD Blu-Ray. My wife isn't the most techie of people. I have had zero issues with them.

Mrbob

Not the tv construction quality, just the problems with HDR mode and picture quality. Could be an isolated incident though.

LG oled has been my top pick for awhile...just deciding which one to go with. I'm not a big enough baller yet for the A1E.

J-Rzez

Not the tv construction quality, just the problems with HDR mode and picture quality. Could be an isolated incident though.

LG oled has been my top pick for awhile...just deciding which one to go with. I'm not a big enough baller yet for the A1E.

What are your concerns with the PQ and HDR mode?

Top Bottom