• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Cool.

I'll give it a shot when I get home and see if it helps. How do you turn it on?

Just launch one of the latest Netflix Marvel Series (Darevdevil, Iron Fist etc.), provided you have the UHD package, and the TV will switch automatically to one of the DV picture modes, probably "Standard" as default and you can change it to "Cinema", "Cinema Home", "Vivid" and "Game" from there.

No updates on the new HDMI compatibility ?
Nope. Maybe IFA in September?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
What's the consensus on Vizio here? Walmart has a 55" UHD for like $410 or something. I really need to replace my dying 32" 2006 768p 44lb Polaroid tv that I bought for $1100. But I need to know that it won't be a bad purchase. It's main functions will be watching movies/tv from my vast ripped collection, Netflix and playing games. So I don't want something that's gonna cause problems with lag.

Well that's another reason to choose an 2017 LG OLED then, being that DV is really important to an OLED, bit of an kick in the balls for gaming down the line.

ruffiamonte

Neo Member
I'm really enjoying my TCL P607. Great TV set especially for the price. I would say best TV around its price

I’m looking for a comparable TV, too bad this one is only available in the US.

Is there anything for that price point and quality on the German market? (55” and below 1000€) I would really appreciate some suggestions.
The TCL U55P6046 (the European equivalent to the P607?) seems to be very different and kind of worse… I guess?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I forgot to write down the model number when I was there. They seem to have a bunch of choices. I don't need 4K but want it just because I can totally see the pixels on 1080p. So I'd hope the higher resolution would be better for cleaning that up.

I would be plugging a computer into it though. My iMac. I'm wondering if it would recognize a 4K TV as a Retina display and use the 1080p x2 resolution. Or let me mirror my imac, which is 1440p, and still display it at 1440p. (In the future I would have a gaming PC connected to it.)

I've had my current "budget" tv for 11 years now and have played games on it and never noticed any lag issues. So either they exist and aren't an issue for me or my budget Polaroid tv was ahead of the curve.

Theonik

Sony staff sales. Thanks to a buddy of mine.
You sure those prices are right? I think the KD-65A1 is £3,500 or so. At least was last I checked. The 55" model is closer to what you say though.
For the KD-65ZD9 I think they go for £2,800 though if one hurries one could get one for £2,200.

E: Or maybe this is without VAT?

Mentaur

Neo Member
Bahhhhh.

Did B6's get the update for DV? Or no?

Which OS build and nVidia driver are you using? I managed to get HDR10 working with 378.92 and the insider Win 10 build (16199) but enabling Dolby Vision wouldn't stick. Does the TV switch over to Dolby Vision when you run the game or when you toggle it in the menu? I have a C6 so I'm expecting I'll have the same awful input lag but I'm curious to see it in action all the same.

Cheers

So I am going to JBHifi today.

I can get the LG OLED55C6T for $2659 or the 55C7T for $3649 (maybe cheaper if i can haggle).

Is the C6 worth it with it's HDR, or should I fork out the extra for the C7??

Quenk

I'm looking at getting a TV this year. Ideally it'd be 4k with HDR. I'm in Canada so the prices aren't the best at the moment. Right now the Vizio M50-D1 is looking good for my price range (around 1k CAD). Are there any other TVs I should consider?

Mrbob

I can get the LG OLED55C6T for $2659 or the 55C7T for $3649 (maybe cheaper if i can haggle).

Don't forget the C6 is a curved screen while the C7 isn't.

If you want a non curved 2016 model get the B6.

Here is a list of 2017 LG OLED improvements:

http://www.avsforum.com/2017-lg-oled-tv-improvements/

The 2017 models seem to have an identical picture with the biggest difference being audio. I don't believe the 2017 models are worth 1000 more but I'm waiting for the B7 to show up once LG stops hiding it. I think this is because they have extra stock of B6 they want to clear first.

There is also a video review of the C7 at rtings which I found useful:

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c7

Taggen86

Do you use dolby vision game mode (which is available on 2017 oleds but not on 2016s) and do you game in 60 fps? Have you disabled true motion? Have you set your pc as game console (console input had the lower lag on 2016 oleds; do not know if this applies to 2017 oleds) If you use dolby vision game mode on a 60 fps game, Input lag should not be a problem.

On my 2016 oled, I am forced to use 1080/60 since 60 is not possible in 4k/DV and there is no DV game mode available...

Not sure if anyone has tried Dolby Vision yet for games, but I spent a bit more time with it a few nights ago.

It looks notably better than HDR10 in ME:A, but there is a huge trade off for input latency. I'm not sure if there's some additional processing that's taking place for Dolby Vision, and unfortunately I don't know of a single other game to test, but it is borderline unplayable.

LG C7 btw. Anyone else mess with this yet?

Dude

Get from bing lee eBay store and use one of the codes that are running at the moment

Got mine for 3090 (c7) might have to wait for a 10% code again though

Taggen86

Go for the C7 if you can find a good deal for it. It is more future proof

You get:
-a slightly higher peak brightness in HDR: 717-733 (C7) vs 650-662 (C6). However the b6 2016 oled has a higher peak brightness in 2% and 10% window than both tvs (B6: 745-787)
-lower input lag 21ms (c7) vs 34ms (c6)
-Dolby vision game mode and DV in 4k/60 (neither is available on the C6)
-Gaming in 1080p/120hz (not possible on the C6)
-Support for more HDR modes

comparing http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c7 to http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c6

Alexious

Don't forget the C6 is a curved screen while the C7 isn't.

If you want a non curved 2016 model get the B6.

Here is a list of 2017 LG OLED improvements:

http://www.avsforum.com/2017-lg-oled-tv-improvements/

The 2017 models seem to have an identical picture with the biggest difference being audio. I don't believe the 2017 models are worth 1000 more but I'm waiting for the B7 to show up once LG stops hiding it. I think this is because they have extra stock of B6 they want to clear first.

There is also a video review of the C7 at rtings which I found useful:

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c7

Actually, the improvements are far from minor. Vincent Teoh, who's possibly the most thorough TV reviewer, estimated those at 35% between improved HDR, improved input lag, improved ABL (Automatic Brightness Limited) cleaner near black handling, and other improvements.

Whether those are worth the premium price is another matter entirely, but the picture quality is most definitely not equal.

You sure those prices are right? I think the KD-65A1 is £3,500 or so. At least was last I checked. The 55" model is closer to what you say though.
For the KD-65ZD9 I think they go for £2,800 though if one hurries one could get one for £2,200.

E: Or maybe this is without VAT?

Definitely £3,096.73 inc VAT for the 65A1.

GreekWolf

Actually, the improvements are far from minor. Vincent Teoh, who's possibly the most thorough TV reviewer, estimated those at 35% between improved HDR, improved input lag, improved ABL (Automatic Brightness Limited) cleaner near black handling, and other improvements.

Whether those are worth the premium price is another matter entirely, but the picture quality is most definitely not equal.

Yeah, I was wondering when someone would correct him. The various improvements in the 2017 models appear to be significant. Heck, the far less aggressive ABL makes a world of difference on its own. That was a personal dealbreaker for me in the previous models.

Finally got my C7, and hooked it up. HDR in game mode looks awful. I tried Uncharted 4 and it's super dark. Same for Horizon and Wipeout. HDR game mode kills the brightness compared to even HDR standard.

I'll need to spend some time tweaking the settings, but out of the box it's underwhelming.

Finally got my C7, and hooked it up. HDR in game mode looks awful. I tried Uncharted 4 and it's super dark. Same for Horizon and Wipeout. HDR game mode kills the brightness compared to even HDR standard.

I'll need to spend some time tweaking the settings, but out of the box it's underwhelming.

Definitely something up with those settings. Havent tried wipeout but horizon is absolutely stunning in HDR. All i did from stock settings was reduced the colour a bit.

Definitely something up with those settings. Havent tried wipeout but horizon is absolutely stunning in HDR. All i did from stock settings was reduced the colour a bit.

Yeah, it's weird. In HDR Game mode setting everything becomes super dim. OLED light is at 100. Not sure if this is normal, or what. In HDR standard it looks great. Game mode just kills the picture. It's the dimmest setting of the bunch.

EDIT: HDR Standard looks great. HDR Game continues to look super dim. I'm pretty tired and frustrated, so will worry about this tomorrow. This is doubly frustrating because I'm "upgrading" from an E6, since I wanted the lower input lag, and can't for the life of me get it to look as good as I remember the E6 being.

Yeah, it's weird. In HDR Game mode setting everything becomes super dim. OLED light is at 100. Not sure if this is normal, or what. In HDR standard it looks great. Game mode just kills the picture. It's the dimmest setting of the bunch.

EDIT: HDR Standard looks great. HDR Game continues to look super dim. I'm pretty tired and frustrated, so will worry about this tomorrow. This is doubly frustrating because I'm "upgrading" from an E6, since I wanted the lower input lag, and can't for the life of me get it to look as good as I remember the E6 being.

It could be the PS4. There was a poster around here saying similar things until he did something on his PS4 and it started working fine again. Don't know what it was exactly. Just tried mine again in game mode-ridiculously amazing. I play on game mode with my PC too. All gaming I've done has been in game mode. Def something up there.

JoeNut

£1000 probably isn't going to get you in the OLED game right now, unfortunately. There are plenty of other EXCELLENT 4K TVs though.

For 1000 pounds you're gonna have to look to ebay and the second hand market for an OLED, mainly 2016 ones.

The OLED55B6P will set you back around 1200-1400'ish from what I looked at on ebay.co.uk .

Oh man, maybe OLED isn't for me then :(

It could be the PS4. There was a poster around here saying similar things until he did something on his PS4 and it started working fine again. Don't know what it was exactly. Just tried mine again in game mode-ridiculously amazing. I play on game mode with my PC too. All gaming I've done has been in game mode. Def something up there.

To be clear, I'm talking about HDR game mode. Uncharted/Wipout/Horizon look awful.

EDIT: It's not the ps4. I've tried with my xbox s and it looks just as bad in HDR mode. Argh.

So, reading rtings it seems that by switching the input to PC mode you get the 21 ms input lag no matter what picture mode you select, is this true? Does this also apply to the HDR pictures? Because if so, 1) What is the disadvantage of being in PC mode? Is the image quality worse? 2) Because for some reason HDR game mode looks absolutely awful, could I just switch the input to PC, and then use HDR Standard and still get good picture/input latency?

I didn't expect this to be such a headache. I wonder what changed between the E6 and the C7 that for whatever reason gives me a garbage dim image.

Do you use dolby vision game mode (which is available on 2017 oleds but not on 2016s) and do you game in 60 fps? Have you disabled true motion? Have you set your pc as game console (console input had the lower lag on 2016 oleds) If you use dolby vision game mode on a 60 fps game, Input lag should not be a problem.

On my 2016 oled, I am forced to use 1080/60 since 60 is not possible in 4k/DV and there is no DV game mode available...
Renaming (or changing icon) the HDMI port to game console doesn't further lower input lag.

Oh, so you finally went for it.
That was also a reaction I first had with the B7 and Uncharted. Didn't help that the brightness sensor was enabled. You might check for that.
Could also try using "dynamic contrast" (active hdr).
How are you liking the input lag?

You're referring to "black level" (LG OLED) and "rgb range" (PS4).

Alexious

To be clear, I'm talking about HDR game mode. Uncharted/Wipout/Horizon look awful.

EDIT: It's not the ps4. I've tried with my xbox s and it looks just as bad in HDR mode. Argh.

So, reading rtings it seems that by switching the input to PC mode you get the 21 ms input lag no matter what picture mode you select, is this true? Does this also apply to the HDR pictures? Because if so, 1) What is the disadvantage of being in PC mode? Is the image quality worse? 2) Because for some reason HDR game mode looks absolutely awful, could I just switch the input to PC, and then use HDR Standard and still get good picture/input latency?

I didn't expect this to be such a headache. I wonder what changed between the E6 and the C7 that for whatever reason gives me a garbage dim image.

From Rtings:

HDR Gaming settings
For HDR gaming, simply turn on 'HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color' for the HDMI port where you intend to connect your video game console or PC and select the 'Game' 'HDR picture Mode' to have the best input lag possible. Some options won't be available to reduce the input lag.

Jimx26

Check the RGB setting on the PS4 is set to full instead of automatic.

Lima

Check the RGB setting on the PS4 is set to full instead of automatic.

This doesn't matter as the PS4 won't send RGB when sending HDR anyway as there is not enough bandwidth. Unless we are talking the regular PS4 outputting in 1080p which I believe can output a full rgb signal with HDR.

Taggen86

Maybe there is a tradeoff between input lag and peak brightness in HDR? In other words, there may be some post processing going on that make the screen more vivid in HDR standard? That could explain why HDR game is dimmer than HDR standard and why you experience that HDR game mode is even dimmer on your 2017 oled, which has reduced input lag compared to 2016s, but basically use the same panel.

My recommendation if you are a ps pro owner is that you turn dynamic contrast to medium (and increase the color level since dynamic contrast wash out colors) in order to increase brightness in HDR game mode. In addition, you can increase the in game brightness slider.

However, the best solution (and by far the most expensive) is to buy a pc. 60 fps gaming and better v sync options will provide lower input lag so you can keep HDR standard on. That was my solution to the HDR game mode problem on my b6, I only use it in 30 fps ps4 pro games.

Which OS build and nVidia driver are you using? I managed to get HDR10 working with 378.92 and the insider Win 10 build (16199) but enabling Dolby Vision wouldn't stick. Does the TV switch over to Dolby Vision when you run the game or when you toggle it in the menu? I have a C6 so I'm expecting I'll have the same awful input lag but I'm curious to see it in action all the same.

Cheers

378.92 drivers and Windows 10 Pro, on creator's update.

It switches over on both. Unfortunately, when I put ME:A on DV, and then leave the game, next time I run the application, it starts in DV, but the screen is just black (in fullscreen). I have to alt tab out to make the window smaller, change it to HDR10, apply, and then change it back to DV, apply, to get back to DV (if that all made sense). Essentially it works fine in game, but launching in DV seems busted (at least for me). tbf, I think they said the DV implementation for ME:A was "beta," so maybe that'll get fixed. Or maybe it's just me?

Do you use dolby vision game mode (which is available on 2017 oleds but not on 2016s)
Yes

and do you game in 60 fps?

Yes.

Have you disabled true motion?

I believe it's grayed out when you set the input to "PC" (change the icon)

Have you set your pc as game console (console input had the lower lag on 2016 oleds; do not know if this applies to 2017 oleds)
No. To your assumption, it does not apply to 2017's. Rtings review states that the input latency advantage of game mode is also applicable when you simply change the input icon to "PC"

If you use dolby vision game mode on a 60 fps game, Input lag should not be a problem.

Yeah I didn't get a chance to try last night. I'll hopefully try tonight.

D

Deleted member 601986

Unconfirmed Member
I’m looking for a comparable TV, too bad this one is only available in the US.

Is there anything for that price point and quality on the German market? (55” and below 1000€) I would really appreciate some suggestions.
The TCL U55P6046 (the European equivalent to the P607?) seems to be very different and kind of worse… I guess?

I am also looking for a tv for about the same price with the same specs but a bit smaller. I'm trying to find reliable informations about the p6046, but there is no review from an indepedent site or even on youtube anything helpful. Sometimes it says 8bit with frc, sometimes 10bit panel. Can somebody give us some suggestions for tv's on the german/european market? Or reliable information about the p6046?

Thanks in advance

AVS Reviewed the TCL 55P607

I know some folks here were excited about that set.

Sounds like quite a bargain for $599 US

The 55P607 performs so well, it genuinely qualifies as disruptive. TCL packed it full of goodies like Dolby Vision HDR support and married it to the excellent Roku smart TV platform. The result is a TV the brings next-generation picture quality into the realm of affordability for the masses.

I've only had this TV for two days so I need more time to explore its capabilities and features in-depth, as well as view various types of content with it. However, if you are a videophile on a budget looking for a full-featured 55″ flat panel right now, based on what I've seen so far the TCL 55″ P-Series 4K HDR Roku TV should be on your short list.

The rest here

OkayRene

How noticeable is the difference between Netflix 4K streaming & Ultra HD Blu-Ray? I know theoretically Ultra HD has higher bit-rate. But I'm curious how much more of that is actually perceivable.

I love the 65B6 for sure but man, it sure takes some getting used to playing games that maintain resolutions like 720p and 900p. Hell even Fallout 4 which is 1080p isn't as crisp as it was on my full HD OLED. And this is from about 2.60m viewing distance. When I move to about 3m or more it definitely looks better to my eyes. It's probably because of the upscaling that is being done, right?

I'm sure this viewing distance or closer will be great for 4K games though.

Man that Xbox One X can't come soon enough.

I love the 65B6 for sure but man, it sure takes some getting used to playing games that maintain resolutions like 720p and 900p. Hell even Fallout 4 which is 1080p isn't as crisp as it was on my full HD OLED. And this is from about 2.60m viewing distance. When I move to about 3m or more it definitely looks better to my eyes. It's probably because of the upscaling that is being done, right?

Right.

1080p definitely looks "softer" than 4K on my C7, but it isn't awful. Also if you end up hooking up something like a PC, make sure you're doing the scaling on the PC and not the TV.

And yes, One X will definitely help with that problem =)

Right.

1080p definitely looks "softer" than 4K on my C7, but it isn't awful. Also if you end up hooking up something like a PC, make sure you're doing the scaling on the PC and not the TV.

And yes, One X will definitely help with that problem =)

I don't really hook the PC (Surface) up all that much but how exactly do I do that? :)

And yeah man, softer is the exact word for it.

Something else, I read something slightly concerning and I wonder if it's true. For some reason I assumed that all 4K OLED TVs support both HDR formats but just now I read that the B6 apparently doesn't support Dolby Vision in game mode. A while ago I read about this and it said that the most often used format is HDR10 but sometimes there is the rare case of DV. Do any games use this HDR format at all?

If they do, let's just hope companies keep supporting HDR10 as well.

EDIT

Foolish me. Here it thought both PS4 Pro and Xbox One S supported DV. Turns out they don't. It's possible One X might but I'm sure HDR10 isn't going anywhere. Damn that's a relief.

I don't really hook the PC (Surface) up all that much but how exactly do I do that? :)

Something else, I read something slightly concerning and I wonder if it's true. For some reason I assumed that all 4K OLED TVs support both HDR formats but just now I read that the B6 apparently doesn't support Dolby Vision in game mode. A while ago I read about this and it said that the most often used format is HDR10 but sometimes there is the rare case of DV. Do any games use this HDR format at all?

EDIT

Foolish me. Here it thought both PS4 Pro and Xbox One S supported DV. Turns out they don't. It's possible One X might but I'm sure HDR10 isn't going anywhere. Damn that's a relief.

HDR10 will always be supported, for the sole reason that DV runs with a base HDR10 layer anyway.

Well, yeah, for now DV is PC only.

I guess it remains to be seen if One X will support it. But if not I'll be fine. The only time I won't be fine is if game companies start to support DV more often than HDR10. Seems like a fat chance.

HDR10 will always be supported, for the sole reason that DV runs with a base HDR10 layer anyway.

Any worries that I had left are now gone. Great!

Just now I was watching Star Trek Into Darkness on Blu Ray and man, this is already so crisp. My friend will bring his copy of the same movie in 4K next month. He says it's insane. Can't wait!

What would you guys say are good user tru motion settings to combat the judder in some movies?

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
How noticeable is the difference between Netflix 4K streaming & Ultra HD Blu-Ray? I know theoretically Ultra HD has higher bit-rate. But I'm curious how much more of that is actually perceivable.

It's very perceivable, IMO. You see a lot of compression artifacts when streaming 4K. HDR can help to make things look better, but I find even streaming Dolby Vision material does not look as good as high bit rate UHD video.

EDIT

Watch this:

https://youtu.be/wSpHONwyBqg?t=5m51s

You can use any resolution but you need to activate the scaling.

You can disregard most of it (you're not gonna be running stuff above 1080p on a Surface I don't think...) but the last bit about going into NV control panel and setting to perform scaling on GPU is what you want.

Although as I say that out loud, it might not be necessary true if you're not running a discrete GPU (which Surface isn't) so probably nevermind!

Stiler

Are you running them directly to your tv or are you using an a/v receiver?

Because if you are using a receiver make sure you're passing through the video signal and letting the tv do the scaling, not the receiver.

Also if you have both turned on this can (iirc) cause artifacts and other issues from each one trying to scale the image with its own scaler.

Oh, so you finally went for it.
That was also a reaction I first had with the B7 and Uncharted. Didn't help that the brightness sensor was enabled. You might check for that.
Could also try using "dynamic contrast" (active hdr).
How are you liking the input lag?

Input lag is definitely better on the C7 than the E6. Noticeably so. Using a mouse is far more responsive and fluid. Most of the float is gone.

However, the best solution (and by far the most expensive) is to buy a pc. 60 fps gaming and better v sync options will provide lower input lag so you can keep HDR standard on. That was my solution to the HDR game mode problem on my b6, I only use it in 30 fps ps4 pro games.

This year aside, because of the extremely strong PS4 lineup, I get all my third party games on PC. I just got a pair of 1080 ti cards to run sli, and they're predictably amazing. I definitely have some questions about vsync latency, and the best way to work around it, but this might not be the time just yet as I'm trying to figure out why HDR game mode looks awful.

(I've spent quite a few hours messing around with capping the frame rate, enabling fast sync, messing around with triple buffering - but have not been able to find a result I'm happy with. The added stutter drives me insane.)

I'll mess around more with the TV when I've got some time tonight. Hopefully I can figure something out. (And yes, of course, I enabled HDMI deep color.)

Looks like OLED is not for me if burn-in is a problem. I have my PC hooked up to a HDTV and use it like a PC monitor 24/7

What is the consensus on 2017 LED HDR 4K sets with low input lag? I remember throughout 2016 much of the advice was wait till 2017.

My Sony Bravia has been very good to me. Got it 2007 and not a damn thing wrong with it after 10 years. Good as new except for the faded icons on the remote. Also have a Panny plasma for living room use.

Top Bottom