• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

torontoml

That looks pretty bad tbh. I'd get a replacement.
I don't notice it with like probably more than 95% of the content I've seen so far. What is the likely hood of getting a similar or worse set with a replacement? I'm 400km away from where I bought it so it will get expensive to play the replacement until prefect game.

RSH

Neo Member
that sucks, I'm sorry

The KS8000 that I sold to Ho Ho here had 0 ABSOLUTELY ZERO Light bleeding, the set literally was the best I could ask for. The bezel wasn't bent like some in shipping, no bleeding AT ALL.....ran multiple tests to see if there was any and not a single dead pixel.

Get another/replacement TV.....that's really, really bad

Good to know. I also have a 55 inch ks8000, with 0 light bleeding, so I didn't think this was normal. Will return it for sure!

Theonik

So I set up my 65 inch KS8000, turned on my PS4 Pro, and saw this, in the top left hand corner of my screen. I bought the tv off eBay in As New Condition, as a refurbished factory second, for a decent discount. I got onto the seller, who immediately offered me a $200 (Australian) discount. I knocked that back, and they are going to give me another tv and pay both lots of postage. Did I make the right decision, or should I keep it, and maybe even push for a further discount?
That looks like it might have been damaged in shipping.

E: WP

RoadHazard

Gold Member
After going back and forth on whether to wait for hdmi 2.1 or not there was suddenly a price crash in Australia and the X9000E (900E in USA) is now a reasonable asking price. I just snapped one up.

Damn, I wish that was the case here. Still at the regular old 17K/25K ($2K/3K) for the 55"/65" here in Sweden.

I'm super excited to see what Sony can do in the 2018+ OLED space. Their behind the scenes tech is so good.

Yeah, Cant wait to see what else they'll add to their OLEDs in the future, but this year's A1E also does a fantastic job dealing with banding in content too thanks to having the same chip. Vincent has also mentioned it a few times as one of its strengths.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Yeah, Cant wait to see what else they'll add to their OLEDs in the future, but this year's A1E also does a fantastic job dealing with banding in content too thanks to having the same chip. Vincent has also mentioned it a few times as one of its strengths.

Aren't LG supposed to be rolling out some superior OLED panels next year as well? I wonder if Sony will be able to use those.

Belker

My camera picked up issues with my KS7/8000 that I couldn't easily see with my naked eye. I had to try to remember that I should judge the TV's issues based on what I noticed. Made life less stressful.

Mrbob

Aren't LG supposed to be rolling out some superior OLED panels next year as well? I wonder if Sony will be able to use those.

From what I've read in the past LG is on a tick tock schedule. This year was the tock and next year is the tick. So yeah ,I'd expect some new additions. Then the year after will be the tock which will be a refined version of next years model.

ViciousDS

Banned
From what I've read in the past LG is on a tick tock schedule. This year was the tock and next year is the tick. So yeah ,I'd expect some new additions. Then the year after will be the tock which will be a refined version of next years model.

so what you are saying is the C7 should fix most panel issues that the C6/B6 had?

Mrbob

I couldn't tell you the exact issue fixes, but it's along the lines of new features added in the tick year and a refinement of features in the tock year. I'll let someone smarter than me on the topic talk about 2017 LG OLED set improvements:

https://youtu.be/F9OvPfPd8s0?t=11m10s

I'm expecting next years model to have refinements as well, but if LG is sticking to their schedule the biggest boost will be in the feature set. With this schedule I'm eyeing my TV upgrade in 5 years, which will hopefully give LG a couple revisions to get their tvs closer to handling full HDMI 2.1 spec.

ApharmdX

Banned
So is this what people talk about for "vertical banding"? LG B7 by the way, had it for about 2 days.

I really only noticed the area where I put the red above the line, but my camera seems to have picked up more, so not really a concern. Will this go away with use?

I've only noticed it occasionally, more or less in almost black conditions.

You can try a 5% gray slide from here that will be more definitive:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9FgjTtNzSy0dTZwZ3p1eGVnTG8/

but from what I can see this is a normal amount of near-black banding on a 2017 OLED. I wouldn't return it from that unless you have vignetting. There are much worse panels out there than yours.

You can try a 5% gray slide from here that will be more definitive:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9FgjTtNzSy0dTZwZ3p1eGVnTG8/

but from what I can see this is a normal amount of near-black banding on a 2017 OLED. I wouldn't return it from that unless you have vignetting. There are much worse panels out there than yours.

I had my B6 panel replaced for less than that. It depends on how noticeable it is to the user and is purely preferential. If you don't see it in 95% of content and can live with that? Keep it. If it bugs you (I had two bands down the center of the screen that would drive me in nuts in near dark content), contact LG and have them replace the panel.

They are very easy to work with and will take care of you. My replacement panel has very very minimal banding that has gotten better with time and is truly undetectable in 98% of content unless I throw up a slide. I was glad I went through the process and ended up happier with my then $2k investment.

It did on mine. I could tell right away when playing Wildlands (PS4 Pro). I haven't had a chance to try anything else.

So does that mean that on your TV HDR Game is back to the brightness of earlier FW versions?

Both Uncharted 4 and Wipeout aren't any brighter on my E6 compared to the 05.30.03 FW.
Downgraded back to 04.30.99 and HDR Game is a bit brighter than HDR Standard as it should be.

ukas

So does that mean that on your TV HDR Game is back to the brightness of earlier FW versions?

Both Uncharted 4 and Wipeout aren't any brighter on my E6 compared to the 05.30.03 FW.
Downgraded back to 04.30.99 and HDR Game is a bit brighter than HDR Standard as it should be.

I actually jumped from 4.30 something to the current version. Meaning I'm seeing what you had already been seeing. My fault.

btkadams

The B7 is back on sale at Best Buy Canada. I think I will bite today.

Is it worth getting these Geek Squad extended warranties for LG TVs? That’s the only thing i’m stuck on right now.

ElNino

The B7 is back on sale at Best Buy Canada. I think I will bite today.

Is it worth getting these Geek Squad extended warranties for LG TVs? That’s the only thing i’m stuck on right now.
I'm still within 30 days so I'm going in to get my price match. Also considering grabbing the LG UHD player for $100 off.

Side note, has anyone with a B7/C7 used a PS4 Pro with PSVR on it? I finally got around to begin setting the B7 up in my family room and I'm having issues getting anything to display from the PS4 Pro when using the PSVR breakout box.

If I connect the PS4 Pro directly to my AVR (with 4k HDR pass through) which is connect to the HDMI ARC port on the B7 I can get it to work at 4k with HDR support.

When I connect the PSVR, either using a switch connected to a different input on the AVR or connected directly from the PS4 Pro through the breakout box, I can't get any signal on the TV. Curiously, when I do this the B7 input menu shows 'Playstation V' under the PC HDMI port, as if it knows it's the PSVR but isn't displaying anything. Could it be changing it's mode since the PSVR doesn't support HDR?

Salaadin

I'm checking all over the place and can't find an answer so I figured I'd ask here...anyone have the ps4 pro screen flickering issue and successfully fix it? I tried setting my ps4 resolution to Auto and 2160p RGB but it still happens. Only way to stop it is by setting to 2160p YUV420 but I read that's bad for non HDR games.

Unbelievable that this console has these problems.

I am clearly very bored... but it might be fun to do some side by side comparisons, I guess...

65 E6P vs. 55 JU7100

uiLEpc8.jpg

I'm still very impressed with the 2 year old not really HDR 4k Samsung on the floor. Just ordered a new TV stand for the bedroom, so I will put it together after they put the new carpet down and get things back in order.

the one that came with your xbox one S is fine.

it is true that some older HDMI cables may have issues carrying full bandwidth 4k/60/surround sound.

but you don't need anything special, just newer ones that you can get cheaply from Amazon or Monoprice

How old are we talking here for HDMI cables?

Anything in the past three or four years should be fine, right?

so what you are saying is the C7 should fix most panel issues that the C6/B6 had?

Yeah I think brightness was quite improved this year along with better ABL and near black.

I think last year's(?) sets still had the old pink/red tint from the anti-glare that was completely dealt with for all of this year's models also. Though I think most didn't notice it in real content anyway.

Yeah I remember reading that too, so for HStallion's question, I would think Sony will be using whatever new ones they make since they used this year's new LG panels for this year's set.

Knowing I have limited intentions to follow through on either, what's best? A 65" C7 for $3,200 or a 75" Sony x900 for $3,500. I sit 10' away so the size difference is important.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Ooookay guys, Elgiganten (Swedish/Nordic retailer) has a pretty fucking sweet deal on the XE9305 this weekend:

55XE9305 + UBPX800 BD player: 19,490 SEK ($2,400)
65XE9305 + UBPX800 BD player: 26.990 SEK ($3,330)

The UBPX800 alone is 3,890 SEK, and it was part of my buying plans anyway, so if you subtract that the actual TV price is just 15,600 SEK for the 55" and 23,100 SEK for the 65", which is less than what you can get the corresponding XE9005 for here in Sweden.

Viewed with American eyes this might not look all that amazing, but these TVs are expensive as fuck here in Sweden normally. Regular prices are around 10K SEK higher, and that's without the BD player. Veeeeeery tempted.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Just get the 65" and don't look back!

Hah, yeah, that's the other thing I've been debating. I'll be around 2 meters from the screen, which I guess is fine for 4K content on a 65", but I'm a bit worried that will be a bit too close/large for 1080p and lower. Which will probably be the majority of the content I'll watch on it for some time still, since most stuff on streaming services and such just isn't in 4K yet. But then for gaming (getting a PS4 Pro) I bet 65" would be awesome.

Is it really worth 7,500 SEK ($925) for an extra 10"?

Klotera

I am in the same boat but the x900 doesn't do Dolby vision.

I know some in this thread will say you have to have DV. But, I'd say that HDR10 looks really good on its own. Is DV enough better than HDR10 to give up 10 inches of screen size? Especially given the limited amount of DV content, while that extra 10 inches will apply to everything.

I'm totally fine that I don't have DV on mine, because of how incredible games and UHD BD look as-is, but kinda wish I had up sized by 5".

Mrbob

I'm glad I bought the Harmony companion controller + hub. I thought setting up the activities would be cumbersome but it works out amazingly well. Having a one stop solution per activity is great when working with multiple devices.

The only issue I have is the Xbox One won't turn on initial start as I'm selecting my "Watch TV" activity. It's not the xbox one isn't reading the sensor either. I set up the remote control to handle all xbox one functionality and it works well. It's only an issue at startup. The Xbox One turns off with all my other devices when I hit the off button. I created a work around right now by hot mapping power toggle functionality to my harmony controller, and it works, but just wanted to see if others have figured why the xbox won't power on on activity start up.

I know some in this thread will say you have to have DV. But, I'd say that HDR10 looks really good on its own. Is DV enough better than HDR10 to give up 10 inches of screen size? Especially given the limited amount of DV content, while that extra 10 inches will apply to everything.

I'm totally fine that I don't have DV on mine, because of how incredible games and UHD BD look as-is, but kinda wish I had up sized by 5".

No it's not, it's just Dolbys way of delivering the metadata, there isn't much in it compared to how a decent TV will show HDR10.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
No it's not, it's just Dolbys way of delivering the metadata, there isn't much in it compared to how a decent TV will show HDR10.

From my understanding scenes with very low peak brightness can look significantly better in DV thanks to that metadata enabling the TV to remap the range in the scene so that you get better shadow detail etc. With HDR10 it can't do that, so most of the range the TV can display goes to waste.

But I haven't seen it myself, and some day is definitely better while others say there's no big difference, so yeah.

DieH@rd

Banned
From my understanding scenes with very low peak brightness can look significantly better in DV thanks to that metadata enabling the TV to remap the range in the scene so that you get better shadow detail etc. With HDR10 it can't do that, so most of the range the TV can display goes to waste.

But I haven't seen it myself, and some day is definitely better while others say there's no big difference, so yeah.

No, no most. Not by a long shot.

HDR10 can do a lot, but DV can help TV map data to the max of its capabilities.

SOLDIER

My parents are currently shopping for a TV for their living room. They want something that's 4K and around 60', but also want something inexpensive.

Will the TCL P607 satisfy them, even though they have zero plans to use it for gaming? As far as watching movies and cable TV goes, is this still a great value or are there similarly-priced TVs that would better suit their needs?

So I just received my LG OLED55C7P and PS4 Pro and hooked everything up. In my PS4 Picture settings I have the following settings:

Resolution: Automatic
RGB Range: Automatic (Recommended)
HDR: Automatic
Deep Color Output: Automatic

and when I click Video Output Information it says this:

Resolution: 3840 x 2160 - 60Hz
Color Format: YUV420
HDR on Your TV: Only 2k Supported

Your TV might support a higher quality Color Format for 4k HDR if you change its settings. Check your TV's settings.

HDCP 2.2

I assume this is related to the resolution. When I click Resolution there are two options for 4k, one is 2160p (YUV420) and the other is 2160p (RGB), but the second one is greyed out in the PS4 settings and I can't find anything obvious in the TV's settings that would affect this. Anyone know?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Given the choice between the X900E and the X930E, at more or less the same price (the 930 is actually slightly cheaper at the moment), there's no question that I should get the 930, right? The only thing I can see that's objectively worse with it is the input lag at 1080p, but at 4K it's better. And I plan on getting a Pro, so that takes care of most of my gaming. Switch is the only issue. Once I get a 4K receiver that could do the upscaling, but I don't know what lag that would add instead.

Top Bottom