• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Mrbob

Get the 930e for near the same price. It doesn't do FALD but it's still a great set and does some interesting things with edge lighting. Plus it's one of the brightest HDR screens so HDR should pop.

So I just received my LG OLED55C7P and PS4 Pro and hooked everything up. In my PS4 Picture settings I have the following settings:

Resolution: Automatic
RGB Range: Automatic (Recommended)
HDR: Automatic
Deep Color Output: Automatic

and when I click Video Output Information it says this:

Resolution: 3840 x 2160 - 60Hz
Color Format: YUV420
HDR on Your TV: Only 2k Supported

Your TV might support a higher quality Color Format for 4k HDR if you change its settings. Check your TV's settings.

HDCP 2.2

I assume this is related to the resolution. When I click Resolution there are two options for 4k, one is 2160p (YUV420) and the other is 2160p (RGB), but the second one is greyed out in the PS4 settings and I can't find anything obvious in the TV's settings that would affect this. Anyone know?

Did you turn on ultra deep color hd on your lg tv? I think it's under picture but it's somewhere in the tv settings and you can turn it on or off for every hdmi input. It's not turned on by default.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Get the 930e for near the same price. It doesn't do FALD but it's still a great set and does some interesting things with edge lighting. Plus it's one of the brightest HDR screens so HDR should pop.

Yeah, that's another thing that's worse on paper, but most reviews seem to think that its edge-lit solution actually achieves better local dimming than the 900's FALD (which has very few dimming zones compared to higher-end TVs with FALD). And it also allows the TV to be a bit thinner (4 vs 6 cm), and I do plan on wall-mounting it, so the thinner the better.

So I just received my LG OLED55C7P and PS4 Pro and hooked everything up. In my PS4 Picture settings I have the following settings:

Resolution: Automatic
RGB Range: Automatic (Recommended)
HDR: Automatic
Deep Color Output: Automatic

and when I click Video Output Information it says this:

Resolution: 3840 x 2160 - 60Hz
Color Format: YUV420
HDR on Your TV: Only 2k Supported

Your TV might support a higher quality Color Format for 4k HDR if you change its settings. Check your TV's settings.

HDCP 2.2

I assume this is related to the resolution. When I click Resolution there are two options for 4k, one is 2160p (YUV420) and the other is 2160p (RGB), but the second one is greyed out in the PS4 settings and I can't find anything obvious in the TV's settings that would affect this. Anyone know?
Are you going through a Yamaha AVR? If so you need to change the 4K mode on the AVR.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I know some in this thread will say you have to have DV. But, I'd say that HDR10 looks really good on its own. Is DV enough better than HDR10 to give up 10 inches of screen size? Especially given the limited amount of DV content, while that extra 10 inches will apply to everything.

I'm totally fine that I don't have DV on mine, because of how incredible games and UHD BD look as-is, but kinda wish I had up sized by 5".

HDR10 is a good chunk of the way there and is universally supported (except by Vudu)

It's really a thing where Dolby Vision is more accurate and overall looks better due to the mapping to the display.

That said, we're talking about getting the final 10-15% here that the videophiles go for and spend ridiculous amounts of money in search of.

Yeah, that's another thing that's worse on paper, but most reviews seem to think that its edge-lit solution actually achieves better local dimming than the 900's FALD (which has very few dimming zones compared to higher-end TVs with FALD). And it also allows the TV to be a bit thinner (4 vs 6 cm), and I do plan on wall-mounting it, so the thinner the better.

The 930e has a pretty sophisticated guiding plate system, which does give it zones, just not quite in the same way as a FALD; Sony have always been the best at edge lit, when they design one for the high end.

I still have a W905a (W900) in the bedroom, and it's extremely impressive what they managed there.

Did you turn on ultra deep color hd on your lg tv? I think it's under picture but it's somewhere in the tv settings and you can turn it on or off for every hdmi input. It's not turned on by default.

Took me a while to find the setting, but that was it. It was under general which is why I didn't find it. Why is it off by default?

tmdorsey

Given the choice between the X900E and the X930E, at more or less the same price (the 930 is actually slightly cheaper at the moment), there's no question that I should get the 930, right? The only thing I can see that's objectively worse with it is the input lag at 1080p, but at 4K it's better. And I plan on getting a Pro, so that takes care of most of my gaming. Switch is the only issue. Once I get a 4K receiver that could do the upscaling, but I don't know what lag that would add instead.

Absolutely go with the 930E if it's same price or freaking lower. There's a reason it's priced higher than the 900E.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Absolutely go with the 930E if it's same price or freaking lower. There's a reason it's priced higher than the 900E.

It's not technically priced lower, but there's a deal this weekend where you get the 930E at a very good price (about $1,100 less than it normally is here in Sweden) AND you get an UBP-X800 thrown in for that price. If you subtract the price of the BD player (which I was looking at getting anyway) the cost of the TV comes out to about $175 less than the same size 900E can be had for here. So yeah, very tempting!

FoxSpirit

Is there any next year reason to not get a LG C7? We have hdr10, dolby vision, youtube hdr and 4k@60hz@4:4:4+HDR. Great input lag.

Am i missing something?

teiresias

Yeah, Cant wait to see what else they'll add to their OLEDs in the future, but this year's A1E also does a fantastic job dealing with banding in content too thanks to having the same chip. Vincent has also mentioned it a few times as one of its strengths.

Is content banding really that common? I can't recall having ever seen it in something not a video game on my Kuro that wasn't an internet streaming source.

zeeaykay

Is there any next year reason to not get a LG C7? We have hdr10, dolby vision, youtube hdr and 4k@60hz@4:4:4+HDR. Great input lag.

Am i missing something?
Some people will tell you HDMI 2.1, but we're not sure how much stuff 2.1 does can or will be patched into 2.0. If you want to be super future proof, you can wait for that, but there's no guarantee next year's tvs will have it. I'm grabbing a C7 later this year - there will always be something to wait for.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Am i missing something?

There's always something better around the corner. For next year it's possibly HDMI 2.1. The most interesting feature of that for gaming is VRR, and also 4K120 if you have a PC that can do that. But just because the spec can do those things that doesn't necessarily mean next year's TVs will. Maybe a few high-end ones will, but I'm betting most won't. So I don't think HDMI 2.1 will REALLY be such a useful thing for another few years.

Or maybe I'm just trying to convince myself that getting a new TV this year isn't a bad idea. :)

FLEABttn

Banned
I ended up getting an x930e instead of a C7P and the black levels are even better than the plasma it replaced, and no ABL. I'm very happy with this.

Also got an Oppo-203 so today was a good day.

How can you tell which movies on Amazon Instant support streaming in 4k HDR? I googled and found a few lists that show you which movies stream 4k, but when I pull up webpages for those movies on Amazon, there is no indication from Amazon that they are in fact 4k. For example, The Fifth Element and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

Am I missing something? Doesn't matter whether it's free (Prime Instant Video) or just Instant (paid).

RedAssedApe

Banned
How can you tell which movies on Amazon Instant support streaming in 4k HDR? I googled and found a few lists that show you which movies stream 4k, but when I pull up webpages for those movies on Amazon, there is no indication from Amazon that they are in fact 4k. For example, The Fifth Element and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

Am I missing something? Doesn't matter whether it's free (Prime Instant Video) or just Instant (paid).

i don't think the website tells you. you need to use an the amazon video app that supports 4k and it will list ultrahd

amazon-ultra-hd-selections.jpg

Basically the organization for 4k/hdr on these services blows right now. Amazon actually has two different listings for a title if there is a HD and UHD/4k version. At least in the Roku version of the Amazon Video app.

Stiler

Am i missing something?

You can always do what I did, instead of splurging on a higher end tv that cost like 2k or more, get a budget 4k set for now (IE TCL 605) that does 4k/Dolby Vision, has great input lag, etc) and then when HDMI 2.1 hits (supposed to come in 2018) splurge on a higher end tv that supports that for more future proof.

Are you going through a Yamaha AVR? If so you need to change the 4K mode on the AVR.

I just got a new Denon receiver and had the problem the poster mentioned. Fixed it by going into the receiver menu under video and selecting "4k enhanced" and selecting on. This allows the full transfer speed for 4k HDR. I would second BradleyLove's suggestion.

i don't think the website tells you. you need to use an the amazon video app that supports 4k and it will list ultrahd

Basically the organization for 4k/hdr on these services blows right now. Amazon actually has two different listings for a title if there is a HD and UHD/4k version. At least in the Roku version of the Amazon Video app.

Personally I just can not stand Amazon video, the amount of content actually feels quite limited, and the fact that they lace in loads of buy only titles, it grates on me; Netflix on the other hand whilst not perfect, at least you feel like you are getting quite a bit for your £'s a month, and that they spend a hell of a lot on original content.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
You can always do what I did, instead of splurging on a higher end tv that cost like 2k or more, get a budget 4k set for now (IE TCL 605) that does 4k/Dolby Vision, has great input lag, etc) and then when HDMI 2.1 hits (supposed to come in 2018) splurge on a higher end tv that supports that for more future proof.

Nooo, don't tell me that. I'm trying to convince myself that 2.1 won't be that important for another couple of years. Those good cheap 4K TVs aren't available here, so if I want to replace my 2008 1080p TV I have a choice between something good and expensive or some cheap garbage...

Am i missing something?

Just go for it! The OLED looks incredible and nothing will come next year that will make it look bad in comparison. All the new HDMI 2.1 features are not going to be game changers at least for a few years, and even then we don't know the full extent of how much support there will be.

If you keep waiting you may never be satisfied.

Just go for it! The OLED looks incredible and nothing will come next year that will make it look bad in comparison. All the new HDMI 2.1 features are not going to be game changers at least for a few years, and even then we don't know the full extent of how much support there will be.

If you keep waiting you may never be satisfied.

Yeah, that's the thing. Even when TV's start coming out with HDMI 2.1 and VRR and whatnot, there will be some NEW tech getting talked about. It never ends.

Marmelade

Yeah, that's the thing. Even when TV's start coming out with HDMI 2.1 and VRR and whatnot, there will be some NEW tech getting talked about. It never ends.

Not sure I agree with that.
Before the recent release of 4K/HDR TVs there was nothing of note technology wise for quite some time in my opinion.
We seem to be in that period where new interesting stuff is coming out so it might be safer to wait if one can.

BumRush

Nooo, don't tell me that. I'm trying to convince myself that 2.1 won't be that important for another couple of years. Those good cheap 4K TVs aren't available here, so if I want to replace my 2008 1080p TV I have a choice between something good and expensive or some cheap garbage...

So sorry to ask because I'm sure you've already said it, but what 2008 TV are you replacing?

Not sure I agree with that.
Before the recent release of 4K/HDR TVs there was nothing of note technology wise for quite some time in my opinion.
We seem to be in that period where new interesting stuff is coming out so it might be safer to wait if one can.

I wouldn't be surprised if one or two manufacturers start tinkering with 8K I'm 3-4 years.

Macaco84

Well, i am getting my replacement sony xe90 (65 inch) on thursday. I posted the details on this a few pages back but in a nutshell, my existing one has a fairly noticeable vertical band running down the centre of the screen. Not particularly noticeable unless you view the tv from an angle but this kills content like live football. Especially viewing in a dark room.

Just want to check with other xe90 owners before the delivery comes, is this apparent with anyone else? Is this a normal feature of the xe90 screens? Perhaps where the screen is joined (in the middle)?

Hey everyone! New to this tv thing and it's a littler overwhelming. Looking to get the best 65-70 tv for the Xbox one x. Looking to not go over $4000. I live in the USA What's the best tv to get for gaming mostly. Don't really watch tv too much. Thanks for any advice and help.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Hey everyone! New to this tv thing and it's a littler overwhelming. Looking to get the best 65-70 tv for the Xbox one x. Looking to not go over $4000. I live in the USA What's the best tv to get for gaming mostly. Don't really watch tv too much. Thanks for any advice and help.

the best LG or Sony OLED you can afford.

Might have to hunt for a sale for the 65A1E from a reputable dealer.

You can get the LG C7 on sale right now for 3200:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-65-c...MI3uiN4v6x1QIVl42zCh2igQCVEAQYASABEgIbnPD_BwE

For the cost difference, I think the C7 is the better buy

RoadHazard

Gold Member
After much agony and going back and forth, I just ordered the 55XE9305 with about 1 minute left of the weekend deal on it, lol. The money I save by not getting the 65" (about $925) will get me a whole lot of other stuff I need, and I also felt that 65" might be a bit over the top for mixed casual use in my small space. I can always move closer to the 55" when I need a little extra immersion, but I can't move a single inch further away from the 65". Either way, I have the 30-day return policy to fall back on, so if I feel it's too small after a week or two I can return it and wait for the next deal on the 65". Or I'll get one in a few years, when 4K content is more widespread and the PS5 does native 4K in all games with VRR and all that jazz.

So sorry to ask because I'm sure you've already said it, but what 2008 TV are you replacing?

A Sony Bravia 40W4000. Was a really nice TV in its day, with absolutely excellent input lag that I'll most likely never see in a TV again. That aspect I'll miss, but other than that the 55XE9305 should be a very nice upgrade (and its input lag with 4K content is not bad at all).

BumRush

Anybody know where one could go to demo projectors? My wife and I want to eventually build a dedicated theatre room but I'd prefer seeing the projectors before pulling the trigger.

MazeHaze

Banned
So my place was robbed and they took my 55 inch KS8000. They didnt take the one connect box though lol.

Thankfully I have replace as new insurance. Waiting to see how much the insurance company gives me for everything and then its time to tv shop. Was considering upgrading to the C7, but it looks I can get a b6 from Amazon for 200 less. Any thoughts? TV doubles as a PC monitor too.

Edit:. Also, does this look legit?
http://m.ebay.com/itm/391608570090?_trksid=p2385738.m2548.l4275&_mwBanner=1

MrFlooD

So my place was robbed and they took my 55 inch KS8000. They didnt take the one connect box though lol.

Thankfully I have replace as new insurance. Waiting to see how much the insurance company gives me for everything and then its time to tv shop. Was considering upgrading to the C7, but it looks I can get a b6 from Amazon for 200 less. Any thoughts? TV doubles as a PC monitor too.

Sounds legit to me. Local shop was able to get my a 55B6 for around $2200 Canadian. Lines up with the price on eBay.

Evo X

Am I crazy for wanting to upgrade my 55" C6 to a 65" C7 only 7 months Later?

I just ordered an SVS PB16 Ultra subwoofer and I have a bad habit of going on an upgrade spree. Probably going to get a pair of Klipsh RP-280FA as well to add Atmos functionality whole moving the current RF-62 towers to act as surrounds.

Next to these new monstrosities, the 55" might look kind of puny so that's what has me itching to upgrade the TV as well. Ideally I'd get the 77", but its too cost prohibitive at the moment.

Is the size and quality of the C7 going to be worth spending another ~$3k? Anyone here make the jump or have other suggestions?

Mrbob

Eh, I dunno about buying another oled when you have last year's model. In your situation id wait a year unless money is no issue.

If you use 3d remember the 2017 lg oleds do not have 3d. Nor are they curved.

Took me a while to find the setting, but that was it. It was under general which is why I didn't find it. Why is it off by default?

I don't know. Guessing that lg expects most people to not have ultra deep color devices?

After much agony and going back and forth, I just ordered the 55XE9305 with about 1 minute left of the weekend deal on it, lol. The money I save by not getting the 65" (about $925) will get me a whole lot of other stuff I need, and I also felt that 65" might be a bit over the top for mixed casual use in my small space. I can always move closer to the 55" when I need a little extra immersion, but I can't move a single inch further away from the 65". Either way, I have the 30-day return policy to fall back on, so if I feel it's too small after a week or two I can return it and wait for the next deal on the 65". Or I'll get one in a few years, when 4K content is more widespread and the PS5 does native 4K in all games with VRR and all that jazz.

You can always sell your current tv for next year's model if you want vrr, but if you want other HDMI 2.1 features it will probably be best to wait. I think we are years away from tvs handling full spec Dolby vision or hdr10+.

e90Mark

Took mine back, froze at least once on the first two movies I watched.

Hopefully the Panasonic UB900 gets an update.

Do you to happen to remember the manufacturing date on yours? I'm still going to take a chance on one. Seems the latest build people are getting is May.

FoxSpirit

200 more for C7? C7 no question. Better lag, better image retention, vp9 youtube HDR, brighter.

BlizzyAzz

Anybody know where one could go to demo projectors? My wife and I want to eventually build a dedicated theatre room but I'd prefer seeing the projectors before pulling the trigger.

No idea about demoing, but you should keep an eye on this model:

Epson X040UB 4K enhanced resolution achieved through pixel shift technology and HDR

http://www.projectorcentral.com/epson-6040ub-home-theater-projector-review.htm
http://www.projectorcentral.com/epson-home-cinema-4000-vs-5040ub.htm <- comparasion between the new entry model and midrange 5040ub
http://4k.com/projector/epson-6040ub-review-4k-capable-projector/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPc6BB8B6F-ZBkdOs_hVpjA/videos <- lot of gaming videos on the Epson

BumRush

No idea about demoing, but you should keep an eye on this model:

Epson X040UB 4K enhanced resolution achieved through pixel shift technology and HDR

http://www.projectorcentral.com/epson-6040ub-home-theater-projector-review.htm
http://www.projectorcentral.com/epson-home-cinema-4000-vs-5040ub.htm <- comparasion between the new entry model and midrange 5040ub
http://4k.com/projector/epson-6040ub-review-4k-capable-projector/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPc6BB8B6F-ZBkdOs_hVpjA/videos <- lot of gaming videos on the Epson

Yes, this is the exact model I am looking at! Do you own it?

Bought a Samsung 50" 6075 (6300 series in the US I believe). Was 500€ at Gigantti, and got a calibration to go with it for cheap. Calibration is supposed to be accurate, they use proper equipment and such. And it looks a lot better than the TV on display in the store (diff lightning etc ofc.).

Looks pretty good, upscaling works well for regular TV stuff, UI is simple and snappy, just the way I like it. It has that Smart UI or something, the budget version of Samsung's UI.

Motion is really fluid, no stutter or anything. Reviews stated that it has some, but apparently a firmware update fixed it.

Some reviews say that viewing angles are bad, not in my opinion. Nobody's watching it from the sides anyway, it is on the far side of our room with the couch on the other side. Over 3m distance, so everything looks pretty much great. I don't care about "optimal" distances, we wanted a TV large enough to see well but not conquering the whole living room. We had a 2011 LCD tv, 32", so this is a huge upgrade. 10€ for 1" is not a bad rate, i think.

I like Samsung's VA panels, my monitor is one too. Good colours and no problems.

Oh, and apparently it has some form of non-edge LED.

HDR preformance less than stellar (apparently), but I don't care. It adds something I believe, I don't have anything to watch with it. I don't even have a Bluray player or anything.

Worst thing in that TV is that only audio output is optical out (it has HDMI ARC or whatevs too) and my speaker set has only a 3,5mm audio jack. Need to get a DAC or something, but atm the TV's own speakers will do. Need to research my options.

Will get a proper audio at later time, possibly some kind of home theater system. Not a fan of million speaker, doesn't add for our use because we keep the sound down pretty much always.

noomi

After trying to purchase a KS8000 65" for our family room (currently have a 55" that I picked up for $799 last Black Friday) for a few weeks I had given up and pulled the trigger on a 65" Sony 900E.

Man... the 900e is an amazing TV! The picture looks fantastic and the HDR looks very good as well. The only thing that I'm a bit upset about is the Android TV OS not supporting youtube HDR (really?)

Don't get me wrong the ks8000 55" is insanely beautiful as well, but was too small for our family room after we had moved into our new home. Moved the KS8000 into my office as well as my ps4pro, it is now the ultimate man cave :p

BlizzyAzz

Yes, this is the exact model I am looking at! Do you own it?

No Sir, I'm still rockin my good 2012 Panasonic PT-AT 6000 (US AE8000):
http://www.projectorcentral.com/panasonic-ae8000_projector_review.htm

But I read and watched some reviews about the Epson, seems to be the best bang for the buck at the moment, true 4K is still too expensive. To bad I can't show any in depth video review in english, there a couple in german which are really technical and show even the differences between the 6040 and 5040 (to make it simple 6040 has even better contrast).

There is no real competition at the moment for that price given the feature set of the Epson.

BumRush

No Sir, I'm still rockin my good 2012 Panasonic PT-AT 6000 (US AE8000):
http://www.projectorcentral.com/panasonic-ae8000_projector_review.htm

But I read and watched some reviews about the Epson, seems to be the best bang for the buck at the moment, true 4K is still too expensive. To bad I can't show any in depth video review in english, there a couple in german which are really technical and show even the differences between the 6040 and 5040 (to make it simple 6040 has even better contrast).

There is no real competition at the moment for that price given the feature set of the Epson.

Holy crap at some of those YouTube videos too. That's a clearer picture than I expected (and it has 3D)

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Took mine back, froze at least once on the first two movies I watched.

Hopefully the Panasonic UB900 gets an update.

the LG is working great for me so far, though I need to try one of the noisy discs, but no issues in Planet Earth.

My Samsung was freezing up all the time so it needed to be replaced plus DV.

Now if Denon would get around to its Dolby Vision update

Top Bottom