• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Seem to be lots of posts about people experiencing OLED burn-in cropping up on AVSforum lately.

I accidentally left mine paused on GOT last night for a couple hours and no issue.

there's a handful of posts from people who throw Fox Business or MSNBC on all day with all those static logos on screen and then watch it for months and never notice.

Even then with compensation cycles and full color programming they have battled a good chunk back.

I've watched plenty of ESPN + CNN and played tons of games on my E6 over the last 16-17 months and had no issue at all. Temporary image retention sure, burn-in? Nooooope.

tokkun

Permanent kind? What model they're using?

Yes, permanent as far as people can tell. At least it doesn't go away with multiple compensation cycles. People seem to be pointing the finger more at 2016 LG models, but I have no idea if there is any basis for that. It may just be that there are a lot of owners of those models.

The issue seems to be most prevalent with static content in with red / orange / yellow colors. And it is easiest to see on a solid red background. Probably people have had the issue for a while, but they weren't aware of it until they learned about this easier way of seeing it. IMO, do yourself a favor and avoid doing this test, as it's one of those cases where ignorance is bliss. If you have burn in but don't see it in in normal content, you don't want to know about it. Once you see it, you probably don't unsee it.

Personally I would be afraid of playing Zelda due to those heart containers.

Kyoufu

Yes, permanent as far as people can tell. At least it doesn't go away with multiple compensation cycles. People seem to be pointing the finger more at 2016 LG models, but I have no idea if there is any basis for that. It may just be that there are a lot of owners of those models.

The issue seems to be most prevalent with static content in with red / orange / yellow colors. And it is easiest to see on a solid red background. Probably people have had the issue for a while, but they weren't aware of it until they learned about this easier way of seeing it. IMO, do yourself a favor and avoid doing this test, as it's one of those cases where ignorance is bliss. If you have burn in but don't see it in in normal content, you don't want to know about it. Once you see it, you probably don't unsee it.

I've had CNN on for hours with the CNN logo on the bottom right in red. There's no burn-in. I'm gonna need to see some receipts. Got a link?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

meeeeeh. meh. meh.

Firstly we have people who bought the TV cheap 4-5 months ago and have now watched a ton of CNN / MSNBC --- I don't see any gamer complaints in there.

Then they are doing this YouTube test where you're looking at a uniform red color to see if you spot anything.

Sure, image retention is going to show up there, but it isn't apparent in content.

I've played so much Horizon, Zelda, et al other games with HUD on screen and had no issues. I watch hours of ESPN on weekends in college football season with full-time tickers. There's a TON of these sets out there and people either haven't noticed till now, or are only noticing when running a uniform red screen pattern.

Just be aware this TV has image retention, and try not to torture it. Even then I've had no issues and I haven't done ANYTHING unusual to try and stop image retention.

tokkun

I've had CNN on for hours with the CNN logo on the bottom right in red. There's no burn-in. I'm gonna need to see some receipts. Got a link?

Like I said, there are a bunch of threads lately. Here are the ones on the first page of the OLED forum.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...-general/2804065-oled-screen-burn-photos.html
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...arning-all-current-future-oled-tv-owners.html
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/2901825-woled-burn-poll.html
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...-general/2837713-oled-burn-questionnaire.html

I've played so much Horizon, Zelda, et al other games with HUD on screen and had no issues. I watch hours of ESPN on weekends in college football season with full-time tickers. There's a TON of these sets out there and people either haven't noticed till now, or are only noticing when running a uniform red screen pattern.

I don't think people are claiming that it happens to 100% of sets. It may be another aspect of the panel lottery.

eXMomoj

I have a 65B6P and 55C6P with a few hundred hours on each set. They both have had static images on it for hours at a time from either channel logos, Twitch streams, or video game HUDs. Absolutely zero burn in or image retention on either set.

Kyoufu

That first link is a thread full of OLED owners saying they've had no issues.

The questionnaire thread can be easily trolled by non-OLED owners.

I dunno man. I find it hard to believe anyone would get burn-in through normal usage unless they have a weird panel that gets image retention after 5 minutes. That I find very weird because I've had CNN on since THE MOOCH got fired and there's no visible retention.

Like I've said before already, if I, someone who has used this E6 OLED for over 5k hours in a year (yes, I use this TV a lot!) hasn't gotten burn-in after playing HUD-heavy games and watching TV channels like CNN and sports then I want to know who would get burn-in with normal usage.

I could probably force image retention if I keep it on a static image like my PC desktop background or something for like 6 hours but I'm not sure why anyone would do that. For burn-in I'd have to keep it on that same image for even longer, right? There's no way that'd be considered normal usage for anyone.

tokkun

That first link is a thread full of OLED owners saying they've had no issues.

The questionnaire thread can be easily trolled by non-OLED owners.

I dunno man. I find it hard to believe anyone would get burn-in through normal usage unless they have a weird panel that gets image retention after 5 minutes. That I find very weird because I've had CNN on since THE MOOCH got fired and there's no visible retention.

Like I've said before already, if I, someone who has used this E6 OLED for over 5k hours in a year (yes, I use this TV a lot!) hasn't gotten burn-in after playing HUD-heavy games and watching TV channels like CNN and sports then I want to know who would get burn-in with normal usage.

I could probably force image retention if I keep it on a static image like my PC desktop background or something for like 6 hours but I'm not sure why anyone would do that. For burn-in I'd have to keep it on that same image for even longer, right? There's no way that'd be considered normal usage for anyone.

I can empathize with the OLED owners who have burn-in. When I got burn-in on my plasma, I had to go through the same shit with other owners claiming that people reporting burn-in were lying or somehow using their TV wrong. It was very frustrating. So when people say the same thing about OLED, I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt.

MazeHaze

Banned
Im curious if people who say they have no BI would mind looking at their screens with red slides up. Not trying to accuse people, genuinely curious as my KS8000 was stolen and I'm thinking of going OLED once I get insurance check. I use my TV as a PC monitor though, so IR is very important to me.

Mrbob

Curious with those with burn actually had bad luck with panels versus those who don't have good luck. Reviewed did a test with older OLEDs and had them run with static images for an extreme amount of hours and the results were that most of the image retention still went away:

http://televisions.reviewed.com/fea...creen-burn-in-problems-causes-image-retention

Though it would be interesting if burn in potential got worse from 2015 to 2016., but I'm not sure how this is the case of technology devolving over time.

slapnuts

First off, I am a previous owner of various high end Plasma's and always wondered what a high end Plasma would be like at 4K resolutions with proper video processing, finally got most of that wish to come true a few months ago with LG minus proper high end video processing .. I currently own a LG C7 55' OLED, I am really in love with the PQ, especially at 4K resolutions, its simply breathtaking to be quite honest but i am on my 2nd C7 after experiencing some terrible banding/bad uniformity and not so great motion handling on the first set, i already knew the motion handling is not the best but im willing to sacrifice a bit in exchange for such inky blacks but the biggest issue is the bad banding/bad uniformity... coming from a 2013 Panasonic High End Plasma the step up was great but only because of 4K because i still experience banding and some times ugly motion handling but still... 4K and OLED are a match made in heaven.

Now recently i bought a 2nd 4K HDTV for the Man Cave and opted for the 55" Sony 900E....the Sony 900E is one heck of a TV for the price. The picture quality in some cases outperforms my C7 OLED because of Sony's miracle wizardry with their impressive video processing chip called the 4K Processor X1 chip clearly outclasses what LG is able to do in this area and it shows.

About Sony's 900E and Lack of DV (Dolby Vision)

Anyone on the fence with Sony's 900E 4K HDTV holding back because the lack of DV...its nothing to even worry about, don't believe me? Read here http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/dolby-hdr-201606214303.htm . Some people have overly hyped up Dolby Vision and are in for a rude awakening once they start to see more examples of it in person, like i have, extensively. Dolby Vision really helps low range to lower-mid range HDTVs. More quality mid-range sets and of course high end sets probably wont see as a great of leap as those expecting to see on the better mid-range HDTVs like the Sony 900E and anything up in the high-end sector. Keep in mind, HDR is not the holy grail to experiencing great 4K HD content, its an added perk at most but what matters the most is having a 10bit display with HDR10 and the TV's ability to process an image in full screen detail...that 4K HDR Processor X1 chip is phenomenal..its that same chip that was used in Sony's previous year's most high end 4k HDTV's, in case you didnt know that. So its basically Sony's top tier processing chip that was simply replaced with a brand new top tier chip for sony's 2017 higher end sets. Along with that being in the 900E...Sony also did a fantastic job with the two other crucial chips... X-Tended Dynamic Range Pro and 4k X-Reality Pro chips are also above and beyond what other companies are doing today with their absolute High End sets and Sony is doing this with their mid-range set here, the 900E. The X-Tended Dynamic Range Pro solution already surpass other HDTV's solutions for HDR processing...So the lack of a "True" Dolby Vision hardware is really not gonna make much difference when it comes to HDR on higher end sets, including the mid-range 900E..which would easily be considered "High-End" if this TV was in the 2017 lineup of other brand 4K HDTVs. Dolby Vision really only makes the biggest difference with lower mid-range sets and low end sets...again, quality 4K HDTV's that already have their own HDR solution without DV will do just fine without DV.

This DV craze boggles my mind though....its not that much different looking when compared to other HDR solutions, especially sets that have good video processing chips inside it. I've dealt with and bought mostly High End HDTV's over these last 15 years...got 5 in my house now, 2 for the kids rooms and the other three higher end sets for my living room, Cave and also in our Den and I have sat my Sony 900E directly next to my LG C7 in proper lighting/viewing distance and again, I gotta give it to Sony for rebounding over their last few years of terrible quality performing HDTVs...Sony's 2017 lineup from the 900E and up are simply phenomenal sets..reminding me of the glory days of years back when Sony reign supreme in high end CRT TV's and their early HDTV's My 900E trades blows with my LG C7 OLED in terms of overall 4K content, both been professional calibrated already ..so they are both performing at optimal settings...and while my LG C7 is MASTER at Inky Blacks and overly popping colors....my Sony 900E fires back with almost equally impressive color pop, the colors on the 900E are, at times, better than what my LG C7 is doing...but there is something else that, imho, where my 900E beats my C7 at...its 1080p content and upscaling it to 4k. The 900E clearly does a superior job at up-converting lower resolution video to 4K. Also the 900E clearly beats the C7 at cable broadcast quality as well...meaning 720p/1080i. Its not even close imho.

For Gaming & PC Use? Again, the 900E is clearly better at gaming, mostly in handling motion much better. Sony's 900E "IS" a gamer's TV!! I much perfer playing my PS4 Pro and PC on my 900E rather than my C7 for that reason alone...the way games feel on the 900E is just flat out awesome!! Input lag is better on the 900E so that along with the superiou motion handling...i suppose gives this better feeling to me when playing games.

And Last but not Least...using the Sony 900E as a PC monitor, for surfing the web,etc is much better than using my LG C7 OLED...also my OLED gets major burn-in using it as a PC monitor..i should say "Image Retention" as the burn-in did mostly go away by now..but it took literally a month for most of it to go away...I just hope the rest of it goes away lol

The main reason why i took the time to share my personal experience is that Sony's 900E really should be the better choice here at Gaf..if it relates to gaming and PC usage...hands down the Sony 900E should be "Gaf's Seal o Approval as best gaming/PC 4K HTV. OLED still has some fine tuning to get through before "being there" ..its simply not quite there yet, that's how i feel when i use my C7 at times...i love the Inky blacks but then again...these "Inky blacks" are nothing really new to me...I been a high end Panny Plasma user for many moons...and plasmas were the king of blacks and the king of gaming TV's for many years...so when i jumped to OLED...the only real "BANG" moment was finally seeing those Inky plasma blacks finally in true 4K resolutions. SO while it may look like i heavily favor the 900E over the C7 OLED...the simple fact of it all is that as a gaming HDTV and PC HDTV...the Sony 900E clearly is the king here in those terms, and on top of it the 900E delivers phenomenal PQ that rivals that of LG's OLED, and in some ways, surpasses it.

Those of you caught on the fence with the 900E because of Dolby Vision....guys/gals, Dolby Vision only does so much. I've had ample time with Dolby Vision already...I've had ample time with HDR10 as well...its not that big of difference...at least not on higher mid-range sets and high end sets. Maybe its a bigger difference on lower-end HDTV's...like this article here indicates to be true http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/dolby-hdr-201606214303.htm

PS Excuse any grammar errors...gotta get going at last minute here so i gotta end this reply all a sudden lol

Curious with those with burn actually had bad luck with panels versus those who don't have good luck. Reviewed did a test with older OLEDs and had them run with static images for an extreme amount of hours and the results were that most of the image retention still went away:

http://televisions.reviewed.com/fea...creen-burn-in-problems-causes-image-retention

Though it would be interesting if burn in potential got worse from 2015 to 2016., but I'm not sure how this is the case of technology devolving over time.

I used my E6 heavily for a year and didn't have any burn in at all. Over 100 hours with Zelda and nothing.

But that doesn't mean it won't happen to you, I suppose. Just that it didn't happen to me.

I'd recommend an OLED to anyone looking for a new TV. The image quality is dramatically better.

Mrbob

I didn't want to suggest OLED burn in doesn't happen, but the cases of actual burn in seem minimal overall.

If someone is going to watch msnbc for 5 hours a day 4 to 5 times a week I'd get led lcd instead.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
First off, I am a previous owner of various high end Plasma's and always wondered what a high end Plasma would be like at 4K resolutions with proper video processing, finally got most of that wish to come true a few months ago with LG minus proper high end video processing .. I currently own a LG C7 55' OLED, I am really in love with the PQ, especially at 4K resolutions, its simply breathtaking to be quite honest but i am on my 2nd C7 after experiencing some terrible banding/bad uniformity and not so great motion handling on the first set, i already knew the motion handling is not the best but im willing to sacrifice a bit in exchange for such inky blacks but the biggest issue is the bad banding/bad uniformity... coming from a 2013 Panasonic High End Plasma the step up was great but only because of 4K because i still experience banding and some times ugly motion handling but still... 4K and OLED are a match made in heaven.

Now recently i bought a 2nd 4K HDTV for the Man Cave and opted for the 55" Sony 900E....the Sony 900E is one heck of a TV for the price. The picture quality in some cases outperforms my C7 OLED because of Sony's miracle wizardry with their impressive video processing chip called the 4K Processor X1 chip clearly outclasses what LG is able to do in this area and it shows.

Anyone on the fence with Sony's 900E 4K HDTV holding back because the lack of DV...its nothing to even worry about, don't believe me? Read here http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/dolby-hdr-201606214303.htm . Some people have overly hyped up Dolby Vision and are in for a rude awakening once they start to see more examples of it in person, like i have, extensively. Dolby Vision really helps low range to lower-mid range HDTVs. More quality mid-range sets and of course high end sets probably wont see as a great of leap as those expecting to see on the better mid-range HDTVs like the Sony 900E and anything up in the high-end sector. Keep in mind, HDR is not the holy grail to experiencing great 4K HD content, its an added perk at most but what matters the most is having a 10bit display with HDR10 and the TV's ability to process an image in full screen detail...that 4K HDR Processor X1 chip is phenomenal..its that same chip that was used in Sony's previous year's most high end 4k HDTV's, in case you didnt know that. So its basically Sony's top tier processing chip that was simply replaced with a brand new top tier chip for sony's 2017 higher end sets. Along with that being in the 900E...Sony also did a fantastic job with the two other crucial chips... X-Tended Dynamic Range Pro and 4k X-Reality Pro chips are also above and beyond what other companies are doing today with their absolute High End sets and Sony is doing this with their mid-range set here, the 900E. The X-Tended Dynamic Range Pro solution already surpass other HDTV's solutions for HDR processing...So the lack of a "True" Dolby Vision hardware is really not gonna make much difference when it comes to HDR on higher end sets, including the mid-range 900E..which would easily be considered "High-End" if this TV was in the 2017 lineup of other brand 4K HDTVs. Dolby Vision really only makes the biggest difference with lower mid-range sets and low end sets...again, quality 4K HDTV's that already have their own HDR solution without DV will do just fine without DV.

This DV craze boggles my mind though....its not that much different looking when compared to other HDR solutions, especially sets that have good video processing chips inside it. I've dealt with and bought mostly High End HDTV's over these last 15 years...got 5 in my house now, 2 for the kids rooms and the other three higher end sets for my living room, Cave and also in our Den and I have sat my Sony 900E directly next to my LG C7 in proper lighting/viewing distance and again, I gotta give it to Sony for rebounding over their last few years of terrible quality performing HDTVs...Sony's 2017 lineup from the 900E and up are simply phenomenal sets..reminding me of the glory days of years back when Sony reign supreme in high end CRT TV's and their early HDTV's My 900E trades blows with my LG C7 OLED in terms of overall 4K content, both been professional calibrated already ..so they are both performing at optimal settings...and while my LG C7 is MASTER at Inky Blacks and overly popping colors....my Sony 900E fires back with almost equally impressive color pop, the colors on the 900E are, at times, better than what my LG C7 is doing...but there is something else that, imho, where my 900E beats my C7 at...its 1080p content and upscaling it to 4k. The 900E clearly does a superior job at up-converting lower resolution video to 4K. Also the 900E clearly beats the C7 at cable broadcast quality as well...meaning 720p/1080i. Its not even close imho.

For Gaming & PC Use? Again, the 900E is clearly better at gaming, mostly in handling motion much better. Sony's 900E "IS" a gamer's TV!! I much perfer playing my PS4 Pro and PC on my 900E rather than my C7 for that reason alone...the way games feel on the 900E is just flat out awesome!! Input lag is better on the 900E so that along with the superiou motion handling...i suppose gives this better feeling to me when playing games.

And Last but not Least...using the Sony 900E as a PC monitor, for surfing the web,etc is much better than using my LG C7 OLED...also my OLED gets major burn-in using it as a PC monitor..i should say "Image Retention" as the burn-in did mostly go away by now..but it took literally a month for most of it to go away...I just hope the rest of it goes away lol

The main reason why i took the time to share my personal experience is that Sony's 900E really should be the better choice here at Gaf..if it relates to gaming and PC usage...hands down the Sony 900E should be "Gaf's Seal o Approval as best gaming/PC 4K HTV. OLED still has some fine tuning to get through before "being there" ..its simply not quite there yet, that's how i feel when i use my C7 at times...i love the Inky blacks but then again...these "Inky blacks" are nothing really new to me...I been a high end Panny Plasma user for many moons...and plasmas were the king of blacks and the king of gaming TV's for many years...so when i jumped to OLED...the only real "BANG" moment was finally seeing those Inky plasma blacks finally in true 4K resolutions. SO while it may look like i heavily favor the 900E over the C7 OLED...the simple fact of it all is that as a gaming HDTV and PC HDTV...the Sony 900E clearly is the king here in those terms, and on top of it the 900E delivers phenomenal PQ that rivals that of LG's OLED, and in some ways, surpasses it.

Those of you caught on the fence with the 900E because of Dolby Vision....guys/gals, Dolby Vision only does so much. I've had ample time with Dolby Vision already...I've had ample time with HDR10 as well...its not that big of difference...at least not on higher mid-range sets and high end sets. Maybe its a bigger difference on lower-end HDTV's...like this article here indicates to be true http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/dolby-hdr-201606214303.htm

PS Excuse any grammar errors...gotta get going at last minute here so i gotta end this reply all a sudden lol

Thanks for the feedback on the X900E! I just ordered the X930E, which should be another decent step up, pretty excited! I'm coming from a 2008 1080p Bravia, which was great for its time, but this should be a preeeetty nice upgrade. (I was all but set on the X900E since it's normally a better value, but then there was a great deal on the X930E that effectively brought it down below the X900E in price, so I figured I'd be crazy not to jump on that.)

Anarion07

Question about comp cycles on OLED:

I keep reading that turning off the TV initiates comp cycles.
But my OLED only offers me instant comp cycle for an hour or ONE comp cycle after shutting off, but I have to activate that manually.

Is there a way to make a comp cycle plan or something?

Caayn

For a friend I'm currently looking at a TV in the range of 43"~50", preferably black design with a small foot and a budget of around €700,-. The TV will be used mostly for watching TV and some light gaming. Looking around I've seen four TV (series) that fit the bill: Panasonic 604 (2017), Sony xd8005 (2016), LG UJ6300 (2017) and the Samsung UM6000 (2017). Any tips or advice you guys can give me? I normally shop around in the high-end segment for myself so looking around for TVs in this segment is somewhat new for me and I'm not sure what to expect in this segment.
Seem to be lots of posts about people experiencing OLED burn-in cropping up on AVSforum lately.
I'm still on a 2015 OLED. The TV has endured plenty of static images, logos and icons but there's not sign of any burn-in on the TV. (Anecdotal I know.)
Question about comp cycles on OLED:

I keep reading that turning off the TV initiates comp cycles.
But my OLED only offers me instant comp cycle for an hour or ONE comp cycle after shutting off, but I have to activate that manually.

Is there a way to make a comp cycle plan or something?
After each 4 hours of use the TV will automatically initiate a comp cycle when you turn it off. You can notice this when the "click" sound, of the internal power switch (?), doesn't appear shortly after you turn off the TV. These comp cycles will take a few minutes.

You can only manually trigger the longer comp cycle from the normal menu.

Kyoufu

I didn't want to suggest OLED burn in doesn't happen, but the cases of actual burn in seem minimal overall.

If someone is going to watch msnbc for 5 hours a day 4 to 5 times a week I'd get led lcd instead.

I actually watch CNN for 5 hours a day pretty much every day on my OLED.

slapnuts

One last thing regarding "Dolby Vision" .... Dolby Vision in order to truly do what it was designed to do requires a TV that has 4000+ Nits. Right now, not even the High End HDTV's are even over 1000 Nits or if a few are, they are not much more than 1000+ nits. I think both the C7 and 900E i have are right around 900 nits

I just want to reiterate my huge disappointment for people passing up on the Sony 900E 4K LED HDTV because it is not have nor will be getting DV (Dolby Vision) in any future firmware update. Guys/Gals.... Dolby Vision isn't even much different to the eye compared to HDR10. Another thing that is coming, I think my 900E has already gotten the update for it, is the new HLG HDR format that is coming that is said to be in favor of almost all broadcast networks, over Dolby Vision. You can read more about it here Sony: Hybrid log gamma HDR update coming to all 4K HDR TVs http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/140161-sony-hybrid-log-gamma-hdr-update-coming-to-all-4k-hdr-tvs

But getting back to this Dolby Vision hype...its simply not gonna mean much to any of the newest HDTV's out right now...for Dolby Vision to shine the way it was designed to shine...it's gonna need a HDTV that can produce 4000+ Nits and that'll be some years before we start seeing those kind of 4K sets to be able to produce that much brightness ....So people, do the research, i mean DO THE RESEARCH! before coming to conclusions and plopping down a wad of cash on a new HDTV. I see far too many people passing up on the Sony 900E for this one reason only and it blows my mind. I guess i just tend to worry about some folks missing out on a phenomenal HDTV for such a small thing. Its been said that the best HDTV of 2017 is not my C7 OLED but my 900E and i can truly see why...its a HDTV that costs half the price that delivers truly stunning visuals. Not only that...but its "BY FAR" the best Gaming/PC/Console HDTV that money can buy right now, hands down! We are talking around $1000 55" HDTV (if you look hard enough) that has a processing chip that Sony was using on its most Highest End HDTV's a year ago, its also said that chip has been even improved upon since last year...Its no wonder why my 900E upscales HD/Broadcast content far better than my C7 OLED and why it can deliver stunning 4K Native video with colors that pop like Plasma or OLED. Yes, its that impressive at times.

By the way, getting back to what i was saying, here is another person talking about the same thing i've read over and over doing research regarding this current Dolby Vision hype is just that, all hype and no content... read this below from someone at avsforum in the 900E thread..
All UHD discs are required to have HDR10 as well if they provide Dolby vision. The two formats are sort of like DTS vs. DD. Also, there is a difference bw HDR and HDR 10. Most tvs have a feature called HDR that tries to simulate what HDR10 does to a picture. From what I saw on the ks8000 I had briefly, it didn't work nearly as well as the real thing (hdr10). Keep in mind as well that no tv today can fully exploit Dolby vision capabilities. The reason is bc we are probably a few years away for tvs to have the brightness required to do so. For me, it's definitely not a deal breaker. As mentioned, upscaling is very important right now bc most content is still 720 or 1080. Very little plain 4k material, and then there's almost zero Dolby vision content right now. I think this set checks the most boxes of any set this year. Motion is really good, the best upscaling, input lag for gaming is decent, and it's a FALD. The only thing missing is Dolby Vision but dynamic hdr10 looks like it will be just a firmware update and that will put hdr10 on par with Dolby vision.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
One last thing regarding "Dolby Vision" .... Dolby Vision in order to truly do what it was designed to do requires a TV that has 4000+ Nits. Right now, not even the High End HDTV's are even over 1000 Nits or if a few are, they are not much more than 1000+ nits. I think both the C7 and 900E i have are right around 900 nits

I just want to reiterate my huge disappointment for people passing up on the Sony 900E 4K LED HDTV because it is not have nor will be getting DV (Dolby Vision) in any future firmware update. Guys/Gals.... Dolby Vision isn't even much different to the eye compared to HDR10. Another thing that is coming, I think my 900E has already gotten the update for it, is the new HLG HDR format that is coming that is said to be in favor of almost all broadcast networks, over Dolby Vision. You can read more about it here Sony: Hybrid log gamma HDR update coming to all 4K HDR TVs http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/140161-sony-hybrid-log-gamma-hdr-update-coming-to-all-4k-hdr-tvs

But getting back to this Dolby Vision hype...its simply not gonna mean much to any of the newest HDTV's out right now...for Dolby Vision to shine the way it was designed to shine...it's gonna need a HDTV that can produce 4000+ Nits and that'll be some years before we start seeing those kind of 4K sets to be able to produce that much brightness ....So people, do the research, i mean DO THE RESEARCH! before coming to conclusions and plopping down a wad of cash on a new HDTV. I see far too many people passing up on the Sony 900E for this one reason only and it blows my mind. I guess i just tend to worry about some folks missing out on a phenomenal HDTV for such a small thing. Its been said that the best HDTV of 2017 is not my C7 OLED but my 900E and i can truly see why...its a HDTV that costs half the price that delivers truly stunning visuals. Not only that...but its "BY FAR" the best Gaming/PC/Console HDTV that money can buy right now, hands down! We are talking around $1000 55" HDTV (if you look hard enough) that has a processing chip that Sony was using on its most Highest End HDTV's a year ago, its also said that chip has been even improved upon since last year...Its no wonder why my 900E upscales HD/Broadcast content far better than my C7 OLED and why it can deliver stunning 4K Native video with colors that pop like Plasma or OLED. Yes, its that impressive at times.

By the way, getting back to what i was saying, here is another person talking about the same thing i've read over and over doing research regarding this current Dolby Vision hype is just that, all hype and no content... read this below from someone at avsforum in the 900E thread..

It's true that no TVs on the market today can fully take advantage of DV, but there should still be a noticeable (but not dramatic) difference in scenes with very low peak brightness, for example.

Rtings said:
The way the two formats differ is in their use of dynamic metadata. HDR10 only asks for static metadata. Dolby, on the other hand, has dynamic metadata which allows it to give information on a frame by frame basis. What does this change? Well, with static metadata, the boundaries in brightness are set for the entirety of the movie.
For example: If you set the boundary as 0 to 1000 cd/m2, the moment you enter a very dark scene where none of the colors reach above 50 cd/m2, only 5% of the bit depth will be available for use since the 1.07B colors are spread over 1000 cd/m2.

With dynamic metadata, the boundary can be adapted to the scene. In the same scenario, the dark scene would have the full 10 bit distributed in the much smaller amount it needs. To put it into perspective, the HDR10 scene would use just over 50M colors, which while being much better than SDR, is a lot less than the 1.07B the Dolby Vision would have.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/hdr10-vs-dolby-vision

DieH@rd

Banned

Thanks for the impressions, I'll get 43XD8005 [its MIA in my market for 6 months now] or 49XE9005 when I get the chance.

ElNino

Thanks for the first hand opinions of the 900E vs the C7. I was deciding between the two for my family room to upgrade from my Samsung 1080p plasma, but ultimately went with the B7 as most of our family room viewing is off center and I preferred the OLED for off center viewing (which is why I had plasma in the first place).

Now, I also setup a media area upstairs and will use the plasma up there, but if I upgrade there as well I'll probably go with the 900E.

DieH@rd

Banned
Has anyone not recommended the x900e? That seems to be the most recommended non OLED tv.

It really seems like the most-recommended 2017 model.

Samsung has borked their 2017 line, LG is focused too much on expensive OLEDs, and other manufacturers are barely mentioned [except TLC which surprised everyone with good entry level HDR model [but only in the US]].

Mrbob

Yeah it will be curious what Sony does next year. Sony overshot the competition in it's price range with the x900e which Samsung did last year with their ks line. I hope Sony doesn't regress their line like Samsung did this year.

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
[Redacted as the member no longer wishes to be associated with this website, and the reputational damage and distress caused by association with this website. In addition, the user considers that the action of the management, and the nature of the site and members of its community, renders the original terms and conditions of this site void, and it unconscionable for either side to be bound to them. The user reasserts their IP rights in all content and does not give any authority for its continued usage on this website. Despite requesting that the user's account be deleted, in accordance with data protection rules which apply to this website over multiple jurisdictions, the admin team have failed to delete this account, requiring the user to take its own steps to ensure the valid deletion of data.]

Kudo

So OLED a no-go for HTPC?

I've seen some people on Youtube use OLED as computer monitor and report no permanent burn-in, so I think it's just bit of panel lottery and bit of smart usage of the display (hide static bars and try to move things around etc.).

Just switched my order of B6 to B7, lower input lag and 120hz input for PC seems tempting, and the picture quality improvements too. Delivery got even later than with B6 but at least I'm getting good price on it.

I gave up on the projector last month and finally went 4K. Got the Samsung Q7. Close call between the LG Oled and the Qled, but after Long thought I wanted pop out Colours and strong HDR over deep blacks (after a projector, daytime viewing and Colour wins out over black levels).

I wasn't disappointed. Games looked stunning. Even Fallout came to life, as I saw deep Colours, when before it looked drab and washed out.

However, the past week the tv went crazy and started phasing out. After the engineer came around and fixed it, it seems there was an issue with the fibre optic cable that links the to to the Psu. Apparently the tv guy cocked up the installation and damaged the wire.

Conclusion: if anyone gets the Q7 be careful with the fibre optic cable as it's fragile and if your to or remote goes mental, it's probably a cable issue.

You didn't........did you? :0

samsung_q7f_qled_brigirkmd.gif

Klotera

Not sure I'm interested in entering the panel lottery. Sadly, rtings review of the 900e also mentions burn-in. Those are my top choices :-(

Wondering if I should just go with Vizio p series.

Image retention, not burn-in. Huge difference.

I have yet to see it on mine, anyway (and I have a plasma, also, so I'm well aware of what image retention looks like). It would be somewhat unusual to see image retention on an LCD.

TheBoss1

Not sure I'm interested in entering the panel lottery. Sadly, rtings review of the 900e also mentions burn-in. Those are my top choices :-(

Wondering if I should just go with Vizio p series.

That is an anomaly and shouldn't concern you one bit. Burn-in on an LCD set is like a super volcano erupting any time soon... Maybe that's a bad example because of Yellowstone National Park lol.

I actually watch CNN for 5 hours a day pretty much every day on my OLED.

Hey, Kyoufu (and anyone else willing to chime in of course), random question. I'm curious what you'd recommend as an E6 owner.

The E6 and C7 are the same price where I live, and I'm having a hard time deciding between the two (I'm upgrading soon).

I'd appreciate the design, soundbar, 3D capability (3D blu-rays are cheap af right now) and more versatile legacy analog inputs of the E6, but the C7 with improved hardware and software features (Youtube HDR, better panel, 1080p 120Hz PC mode, low input lag in PC mode etc) is very tempting too.

What's your take, having the E6 and having used it extensively?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

This is completely untrue, a major reason Dolby Vision outclasses HDR10 is because the tone mapping is so much better.

They master at 4000 nits so that they can handle any display out there or that will be out there for some time, Dolby Vision itself then maps to the display you are using. And that tone mapping and extra layer of metadata is why is looks more accurate and appealing than HDR10 does.

Look HDR10 is good, but in the AV world, there is good picture, and ACCURATE picture. And Accurate is the goal, and DV wins hands down right now in terms of accuracy.

For non AV nerds, HDR10 is more than fine and you may not notice the difference, but people spend thousands of dollars to get that last extra 5-10% of film looking accurate, and Dolby Vision is a must-have if you're one of those folks.

Yeah, that and also his claim about the input lag are simply not true.

Hey, Kyoufu (and anyone else willing to chime in of course), random question. I'm curious what you'd recommend as an E6 owner.

The E6 and C7 are the same price where I live, and I'm having a hard time deciding between the two (I'm upgrading soon).

I'd appreciate the design, soundbar, 3D capability (3D blu-rays are cheap af right now) and more versatile legacy analog inputs of the E6, but the C7 with improved hardware and software features (Youtube HDR, better panel, 1080p 120Hz PC mode, low input lag in PC mode etc) is very tempting too.

Hah, I'm asking myself the same question.
As a longtime E6 user I like to watch the 3D versions of new movie blu-ray releases, but having tested a B7 (same as C7, different stand), I also noticed the further improved input lag. The rest of the advantages are not that important to me (1080p 120 Hz), can be fixed by using an external device (Youtube HDR) or barely noticeable (lower ABL, less near black artefacts).
Where I live the 65C7 is currently about 1.000€ less than the 65E6D (german version with brightness sensor that I tend to use).

This is completely untrue, a major reason Dolby Vision outclasses HDR10 is because the tone mapping is so much better.

They master at 4000 nits so that they can handle any display out there or that will be out there for some time, Dolby Vision itself then maps to the display you are using. And that tone mapping and extra layer of metadata is why is looks more accurate and appealing than HDR10 does.

Look HDR10 is good, but in the AV world, there is good picture, and ACCURATE picture. And Accurate is the goal, and DV wins hands down right now in terms of accuracy.

For non AV nerds, HDR10 is more than fine and you may not notice the difference, but people spend thousands of dollars to get that last extra 5-10% of film looking accurate, and Dolby Vision is a must-have if you're one of those folks.

DV only matters if said display cannot match the source, this is one area where LCD's that can do 1000nits have an advantage over OLED's or subpar LCD's, as there are many films and games that are mastered at 1000nits, so HDR10 is perfect in that scenario.

Kyoufu

I can't see myself choosing the E6 over the newer C7, but I don't watch 3D movies. If that's really important to you then the E6 would the way to go. The question you should ask yourself is, do you see yourself keeping the TV long-term? If so, do you plan on watching 3D movies long-term? If no, get the C7. Both are great TVs though so you wouldn't be getting a dud either way.

You may also want to consider the ZD9 if it's at a similar price. Image quality is superb and it has 3D/Dolby Vision.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
DV only matters if said display cannot match the source, this is one area where LCD's that can do 1000nits have an advantage over OLED's or subpar LCD's, as there are many films and games that are mastered at 1000nits, so HDR10 is perfect in that scenario.

tone mapping ain't just about matching nits though.

but sure, I'll give you that HDR10 is may be better on an LCD than an OLED, but Dolby Vision on an OLED crushes.

We know that IMAX plans to do less 3D in the future, what about the rest?
So I'm asking myself for how long 3D blu-ray will stay relevant. If it's only 1-2 years, then the idea would be to go for the TV that offers several advantages over the older model.

I bought a floor model LG B6 but had to return it because it was messed up. Picture was fucking beautiful though. I'll try again next time we move

I have a ju7100 right now. It's a fine TV, and the faux HDR works, but we're needing a 2nd tv for our new house for my room and I'm going to throw that one in the living room and put a TCL 55P605 in my room.

The ju7100 was like, mid high end tv at its time of release from my understanding. with the TCL being a "budget" TV, but with real HDR and all its praise, does anyone know if i'm actually getting an upgrade or is it going to kinda equal out?

i also have a denon AVR-S910w receiver so no dolby vision until later this year(hopefully) unless I route around it for my ps4 (doubtful)

Mrbob

Curious of you have ultra deep color enabled on your HDMI input slapnuts. I was slightly disappointed with regular tv as well at first, but when I enabled ultra wide color it made a noticable difference. I run my cable box through my Xbox to a receiver and then to the TV so I'm not sure where in the chain the improvement is happening but the upscaling of non 4k content is really good.

So OLED a no-go for HTPC?
Are you browsing websites or just using for games and streaming? The only time I've noticed abl kick in on my c7 is when I'm viewing with a white background. I mostly use my Htpc for games and it's great. I don't know if I'd recommend it though for normal web usage. Playing games and watching videos would be fine.

tone mapping ain't just about matching nits though.

but sure, I'll give you that HDR10 is may be better on an LCD than an OLED, but Dolby Vision on an OLED crushes.

Yeah there is a reason why Samsung is copying Dolby vision with hdr10+.

Top Bottom