• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Is there something wrong with the Z9D in HDR? Seriously. I think it clips highlights if not tweaked?

Would've been interesting to see last year's top 2 in HDR there too, as in the KS9800 and DX902.

I'm with you there, it's not until recently I took in the fact that the ZD with local dimming produces an ANSI of 0.029 compared with local dimming maxed on the 902 of 0.005, I mean that's better than a VT65 plasma which is 0.007! Bloody incredible from a transmissive display.

dragos495

i did all that and still get the pop up message asking me if i want to update. im tired of clicking cancel every time i turn on my c6... but i cant disconnect it from the network, i watch netflix every day...

Evo X

So I got bored and did something most will consider moronic. I removed the back casing on my LG Oled C7 and had a Porsche Concourse paint shop paint it Mclaren Azure Blue that comes on the Mclaren P1 then they wet sanded and smoothed it out.

Then I sleeved the power cable with MDPC-X black sleeving and used 3M matte black Carbon Fiber wrap and covered the back aluminum of the tv.

Looks amazing! Nice job.

vpance

I'm with you there, it's not until recently I took in the fact that the ZD with local dimming produces an ANSI of 0.029 compared with local dimming maxed on the 902 of 0.005, I mean that's better than a VT65 plasma which is 0.007! Bloody incredible from a transmissive display.

Interesting. So the dimming on the Z actually isn't that great. But overall I think it's still the best at minimizing bloom for a FALD, then the DX.

I think DV support gave the edge to the B7. Wouldn't be surprised if the color accuracy was better as well. IIRC that's one of the weak points of the Z. Wonder what films they used to test.

ACH1LL3US

Looks amazing! Nice job.

Thank you bro!

Still loving the C7 for gaming, whether it be PC 4k native at 60fps or PS4 gaming, its been wonderful! Currently IMHO you cant beat it for a TV and gaming with 21ms inout lag and being able to get 4:4:4 and use an ISF mode for gaming, its just amazing!

Interesting. So the dimming on the Z actually isn't that great. But overall I think it's still the best at minimizing bloom for a FALD, then the DX.

I think DV support gave the edge to the B7. Wouldn't be surprised if the color accuracy was better as well. IIRC that's one of the weak points of the Z. Wonder what films they used to test.

Yep it's ace is it's dimming, which obviously is important, but yeah colour isn't actually the ZD's strong point.

Trouble is, Sony put so much into the local dimming that they literally skimped on everything else.

ApharmdX

Banned
Here are the winners. It's all OLED, even the best HDR TV isn't won by LCD.

Wow, an OLED sweep. That's incredible. But man I'd like to see more competition in the high-end display market. Samsung needs to get their emissive tech to market. At this point there's no competition and LG is just too dominant with their panels. I love my B7 but competition drives innovation.

OLED winning the HDR category must be a joke.

I disagree. OLED does great with HDR, particularly in films where the greatest contrast between bright specular highlights and dark backgrounds results in an image that's full of depth. LCD can't do that to the same extent. On really bright scenes LCD does do a better job from what I've seen on in-store demos, and the Z9D does have more detail in bright highlights, so it's debatable, but I wouldn't say that LCD is better at HDR... and in both big shootouts this year (NY one and UK one) the experts scored OLED as the better HDR display.

LG still needs to push the brightness envelope more, absolutely. Another 20% in peak brightness for 2018 would be amazing!

So I got bored and did something most will consider moronic. I removed the back casing on my LG Oled C7 and had a Porsche Concourse paint shop paint it Mclaren Azure Blue that comes on the Mclaren P1 then they wet sanded and smoothed it out.

Then I sleeved the power cable with MDPC-X black sleeving and used 3M matte black Carbon Fiber wrap and covered the back aluminum of the tv.

That looks amazing!

Try 1080p@120 for a treat, by the way. I play Overwatch like that. The OLED's pixel response and low input lag really shine @120Hz.

Dave_6

That looks amazing! Good job!

Karl2177

Ask here for sure

So I was thinking of doing a piecemeal approach to upgrading my setup. First, I'd want to upgrade my sound system. I'm currently just using a really old subwoofer that cuts out, a pair of crappy speakers, and an AV receiver from 2002 or something. What I'd like is to eventually have a surround sound system, but until I move out of this apartment I don't think it's that viable.

So for the time being I was thinking of a sound bar and a subwoofer. What I want is one that has the ability to be controlled through my phone, moderately cheap(I'm not wanting to pay over $600), has a subwoofer and sounds fairly good. My issue when buying these is that it doesn't say if it has phone connectivity. I'm leaning towards the Sony HT-NH5, but I wasn't sure if there was a better option or at least a better way to search for sound bars.

Next upgrade is the TV. Luckily the stuff I want for it I'm able to search for and can find one that fits my needs a bit easier. This is probably a few months off, so I'll do a deeper search around then. I just know I'd like 4K and low latency for gaming.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

BumRush

So I was thinking of doing a piecemeal approach to upgrading my setup. First, I'd want to upgrade my sound system. I'm currently just using a really old subwoofer that cuts out, a pair of crappy speakers, and an AV receiver from 2002 or something. What I'd like is to eventually have a surround sound system, but until I move out of this apartment I don't think it's that viable.

So for the time being I was thinking of a sound bar and a subwoofer. What I want is one that has the ability to be controlled through my phone, moderately cheap(I'm not wanting to pay over $600), has a subwoofer and sounds fairly good. My issue when buying these is that it doesn't say if it has phone connectivity. I'm leaning towards the Sony HT-NH5, but I wasn't sure if there was a better option or at least a better way to search for sound bars.

Next upgrade is the TV. Luckily the stuff I want for it I'm able to search for and can find one that fits my needs a bit easier. This is probably a few months off, so I'll do a deeper search around then. I just know I'd like 4K and low latency for gaming.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Im out right now but CNET just recently did a 2017 refresh of their sound bar reviews (and they do mention things like phone connectivity because it's a big deal in 2017). Check there first and see if they help you. I can post more tomorrow!

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Not sure if this is the place to ask, but I think my bedroom TV is dying, and I guess that puts me in the market for a new one. The old one keeps getting these weird artifacts and lines whenever I turn it on after it's been off for a while, as I posted here, though it seems nobody could provide an answer there. I'd imagine that any process to repair it would be impractically expensive to get done professionally, and any DIY would be beyond my skill set.

I'm just looking to get a cheap 24" 1080P TV. Being in my bedroom, it's on a desk next to my PC monitor, so it's definitely close enough that I can tell the difference, hence why I'd prefer not to get a 720P. I've been looking at this Vizio D24-D1, as it seems to be one of the very few I could find on Best Buy that matched my criteria. It only has one HDMI input, which is rather poor.

Does anyone know of anything in the $100-$160 price range that would be a better deal? My old TV still works, though the artifacting lasts longer and longer each time, so I can wait a while as I keep checking BB in the hope that that Vizio goes on sale.

MazeHaze

Banned
Anybody have experience with the 930e vs the ks8000? Ive read all the reviews and the 930e seems at least on par. I ordered a new KS8000 off amazon to replace my stolen one, but they sent me a goddamn refurb. They are taking that set right the fuck back, no thank you (it has dead pixels and the screen has fingerprints on it, for 1400 dollars! Lololol). I figure I'll just snag a set from best buy rather than
deal with the mail again. I loved the picture on the KS8000 though. Went to see the 930e in person today and it looked great, some of the HDR stuff looked even better than the KS8000. Any input would be much appreciated.

The high lag at 1080p isnt much of an issue for me, as I just have my gpu do the upscaling so the TV will be receiving a 4k signal. For reg ps4 and switch I think 42ms is fine though,

Macaco84

Well, well, well. For anyone following my faulty tv case on this thread i have a very interesting update.

Having exhausted all traditional complaint channels with my store and then requesting a refund, i decided to go straight to the top for one 'last chance saloon' attempt to get a resolution on my issues.

I emailed the CEO of the company. Bear in mind this is a major (read: one of the biggest) nationwide retailer in the uk.

I explained my dissatisfaction in this email and i sent it last night. First thing this morning i saw a reply from a director and within the hour i had a further reply advising i would not have to pay the £250 extra for my replacement tv.

Wow. That email must have put a rocket under them.

So the good news is i can now look forward to a new Sony XE9305 on thursday without spending a penny extra.

Im glad this has been resolved but my word, what a fiasco.

I really want to get an e6 but am worried about input lag(going from 17 to 34), image noise and burn in. Can anyone advise? I posted before but no takers, so I'm asking again. If you can answer any of these I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Kyoufu

I really want to get an e6 but am worried about input lag(going from 17 to 34), image noise and burn in. Can anyone advise? I posted before but no takers, so I'm asking again. If you can answer any of these I would appreciate it. Thanks.

I can't speak for anyone else but I have no problem with the input lag. 34ms is pretty good and that's after coming from a 15ms plasma TV. I guess it depends on your own sensitivity to latency but anything below 50ms is considered playable and below 40ms is considered good. Below 30 would be excellent and below 20 would be industry leading as far as 4K TVs go.

I have a Netflix logo burned in but I'm in the minority. I don't know how it happened but it is possible. I think I may have had bad luck or something because I've played more video games than Netflix on my E6.

If you want lower input lag and don't want to think about burn-in then you could just get an LCD instead. Either way you'll be getting a good/great viewing experience.

Well, saw the dreaded vingetting on the sides of my C7 panel Friday night. Some screen on the PS4 where it was fading slowly from black to blue or blue to black.

Haven't seen it other than that though. Glad I got the 4 yr plan on my TV in case I need to swap out at some point.

holygeesus

Banned

Is there any reason you are going for the previous generation? 3D? I would buy a C7/B7 over an E6 any day.

TheBoss1

Well, well, well. For anyone following my faulty tv case on this thread i have a very interesting update.

Having exhausted all traditional complaint channels with my store and then requesting a refund, i decided to go straight to the top for one 'last chance saloon' attempt to get a resolution on my issues.

I emailed the CEO of the company. Bear in mind this is a major (read: one of the biggest) nationwide retailer in the uk.

I explained my dissatisfaction in this email and i sent it last night. First thing this morning i saw a reply from a director and within the hour i had a further reply advising i would not have to pay the £250 extra for my replacement tv.

Wow. That email must have put a rocket under them.

So the good news is i can now look forward to a new Sony XE9305 on thursday without spending a penny extra.

Im glad this has been resolved but my word, what a fiasco.

I hope for your sake and the company's that the TV has a great screen and is in good condition. I'm sure this process has been painful for both parties.

This thread goes pretty fast, so I'm not sure if it's been talked about already, but now is a really great time to check out your local Best Buy's open box tv stock. I was able to grab a 65" B6 for $1,399 and a 49" KS8000 for $675. The Samsung wasn't an AMAZING deal like the LG, but it was still cheaper than anywhere I've seen online.

Obviously YMMV, but it's worth checking out. Also, always ask them if they will come down on the price any. They'll have to check with a manager, but they've always been willing to do so (at multiple stores). I've gotten anywhere from 10-20% knocked off by simply asking.

I can't speak for anyone else but I have no problem with the input lag. 34ms is pretty good and that's after coming from a 15ms plasma TV. I guess it depends on your own sensitivity to latency but anything below 50ms is considered playable and below 40ms is considered good. Below 30 would be excellent and below 20 would be industry leading as far as 4K TVs go.

I have a Netflix logo burned in but I'm in the minority. I don't know how it happened but it is possible. I think I may have had bad luck or something because I've played more video games than Netflix on my E6.

If you want lower input lag and don't want to think about burn-in then you could just get an LCD instead. Either way you'll be getting a good/great viewing experience.
I already had 3 lg uh950v which is supposedly last year's top lg non oled model. All of them weren't as good as my now 4 years old sony. Issues with 3d, edgebleed, noisy image and poor motion handling. Worse blacks and contrast than my old TV on top of that. I realize the oled doesn't have the best motion handling either, but at least I expect it to have a bette picture than my old TV.

I want a 3d 4k tv which is essentially the issue. I can get annoyed if the game feels sluggish due to input lag, and I'll need to import the TV.

Is there any reason you are going for the previous generation? 3D? I would buy a C7/B7 over an E6 any day.
I love 3d movies. Also, since it's last year's model I can get it for less than half its original retail price.

I'll have to import it though, so I am weary.

Kambing

This thread goes pretty fast, so I'm not sure if it's been talked about already, but now is a really great time to check out your local Best Buy's open box tv stock. I was able to grab a 65" B6 for $1,399 and a 49" KS8000 for $675. The Samsung wasn't an AMAZING deal like the LG, but it was still cheaper than anywhere I've seen online.

Obviously YMMV, but it's worth checking out. Also, always ask them if they will come down on the price any. They'll have to check with a manager, but they've always been willing to do so (at multiple stores). I've gotten anywhere from 10-20% knocked off by simply asking.

That B6 price is INSANE... congrats. The 55 inch 2017 OLED's might reach that pricing later this year, yet you get a 65 inch. Enjoy!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Anyone with an X900E/X930E (they use the same stand), do you also have this "issue"?

HDTVtest said:
Our sample had a very slight lean back on its stand, which we're not entirely sure was intentional or not.

I have exactly this on my X930E. It's really only noticeable if I look at the TV from the side, not when I'm just sitting on the couch. Still, just want to make sure it's not an error with mine.

Fake EDIT: I guess this (Sony support question about this) and this (AVS thread with loads of people saying they have it as well) indicates it's indeed by design.

I was also worried about input lag, as I still have an original PS4 and the X930E (which I just bought) has somewhat high lag at 1080p (a bit over 40ms, whereas at 4K it's around 25), but at least with Rocket League I don't notice it at all. And I'm also coming from very low input lag (a 40W4000 with around 15ms). Haven't tried any really twitchy games yet (and I don't play many of those anyway), but I'm now content that with the vast majority of stuff I play this won't be an issue at all.

NYR

I have an E6 and love it, one of the best purchases I have ever made in my life. I'm a hardcore gamer (duh, on GAF), play shooters and whatnot, have no lag issues in game mode. 30ms is equal to one frame of data, so it isn't mind blowing to go to a lag of ~30ms.

Note that going to OLED is a hit from a brightness standpoint, it was a bit jarring at first but I got used to it quickly. I would suggest considering a B7/C7/E7 instead though, they are a bit brighter. I prefer the E6 flat design though, the lifted E7 stand look is not for me.

And Netflix continues to disappoint when it comes to 4K. I was curious how big the difference between 1080p and 4K would be for the show Ozark. Well I seriously don't see the difference at all.

And that is with exactly the same settings.

What screws would I need to mount the Samsung MU6400 (UK model)?
It's VESA is 200x200, and it's a 40" TV. I have the bag with all the screws from my wall bracket lying around somewhere, but knowing me I put them somewhere where I'd be able to remember, and you know how that goes DX.

psychotron

And Netflix continues to disappoint when it comes to 4K. I was curious how big the difference between 1080p and 4K would be for the show Ozark. Well I seriously don't see the difference at all.

Do you have a 4k netflix subscription? I think you need to pay a bit more for the 4k content.

J-P

Neo Member

Strange because I thought the 4K on Ozark was awesome. Could definitely tell a difference between 1080P

Strange because I thought the 4K on Ozark was awesome. Could definitely tell a difference between 1080P

How did you watch it in 1080p? Like me with the first Xbox and 4K via the TV app? Thing is, my TV of course always upscales, making that difference smaller and smaller. Still i wonder why you do see a clear difference. I seriously have a incredibly hard time seeing it. What settings do you use and how far from the TV were you seated?

Anyone with an X900E/X930E (they use the same stand), do you also have this "issue"?

I have exactly this on my X930E. It's really only noticeable if I look at the TV from the side, not when I'm just sitting on the couch. Still, just want to make sure it's not an error with mine.

Fake EDIT: I guess this (Sony support question about this) and this (AVS thread with loads of people saying they have it as well) indicates it's indeed by design.

I was also worried about input lag, as I still have an original PS4 and the X930E (which I just bought) has somewhat high lag at 1080p (a bit over 40ms, whereas at 4K it's around 25), but at least with Rocket League I don't notice it at all. And I'm also coming from very low input lag (a 40W4000 with around 15ms). Haven't tried any really twitchy games yet (and I don't play many of those anyway), but I'm now content that with the vast majority of stuff I play this won't be an issue at all.
That sounds great. I'm still worried but I guess it might not be too perceptible. I guess it just worries me having an extra frame of lag in battlefield and tekken

I have an E6 and love it, one of the best purchases I have ever made in my life. I'm a hardcore gamer (duh, on GAF), play shooters and whatnot, have no lag issues in game mode. 30ms is equal to one frame of data, so it isn't mind blowing to go to a lag of ~30ms.

Note that going to OLED is a hit from a brightness standpoint, it was a bit jarring at first but I got used to it quickly. I would suggest considering a B7/C7/E7 instead though, they are a bit brighter. I prefer the E6 flat design though, the lifted E7 stand look is not for me.

That sounds good.
Do you need to concentrate more to see what's going on with the brightness? The newer models are both more expensive and don't have 3d.

NYR

Do you need to concentrate more to see what's going on with the brightness? The newer models are both more expensive and don't have 3d.
Not at all. It's just jarring, I watch a lot of hockey, so the ice isn't super bright white like on my old Samsung LCD, but I got over it in a couple of days or so, don't even notice it at all anymore.

And yep, based on what you're saying, E6 is the sweet spot.

XE90 has it too. It's a really slight lean though, much more upright than the A1, for example

Hey but you're the same guy who was posting about LG QA slacking on the 2017 models regarding uniformity right. Is that not another reason to prefer 2016 OLED?

I'm currently testing out a Sony XE90 and I must say I'm starting to think getting 3D as a feature might be a big bonus. HDR content is even more scarce than I expected going in, and with existing 3D Blu-rays currently at bargain prices you'd be able to get a pretty good collection for little money.

I'm not fully on board with brighter = better either. I understand clipping is a thing, but that LCD HDR brightness is a pretty fatiguing watch

RoadHazard

Gold Member
XE90 has it too. It's a really slight lean though, much more upright than the A1, for example

Cool, thanks. Yeah, it's nothing like the A1, just a few degrees. Here's what my lean looks like next to my tower speaker:

img_20170814_190405jesa4.jpg

No, but some believe it might be happening in a future firmware update

hopefully LG get plenty of complaints that they'll be more or less forced to properly fix the HDR game mode, but righht now it sounds like it's exactly what LG wants. There's a good chance we'll be stuck with having to use dynamic contrast at high and change game brighrness per game, sigh.

J-P

Neo Member
How did you watch it in 1080p? Like me with the first Xbox and 4K via the TV app? Thing is, my TV of course always upscales, making that difference smaller and smaller. Still i wonder why you do see a clear difference. I seriously have a incredibly hard time seeing it. What settings do you use and how far from the TV were you seated?

Oh sorry I just meant I could tell it was better than 1080p at first glance. I didn't actually watch it in 1080p to compare. And usually I'm not one of those "I can instantly tell a difference, get your eyes checked" guys. I sit about 8 feet away from a 65" B6. Settings are HDR bright with all the extra processing stuff turned off. How does House of cards look to you? Or better yet Okja? Both of those have been stand outs for me as far as Netflix 4K goes. Really I've been pleased with a lot of their 4K stuff except the ones that are really grainy.

torontoml

So just to confirm from the PS4 setting discussion a fe days ago.

For my LG B7 and a PS4 Pro:

2160 RGB
RGB Full?

and black level low on the B7

Matic94

Neo Member
So just to confirm from the PS4 setting discussion a fe days ago.

For my LG B7 and a PS4 Pro:

2160 RGB
RGB Full?

and black level low on the B7

Hey I have a B7, put PS4 on auto and B7 on black level high for SDR and Low for HDR. On SDR content PS4 will auto to RGB and since hdmi has limitations with HDR it will be on YUV which requires black level low. Your settings for SDR and HDR are saved individually so it'll auto change to black level low if you play a HDR enabled game.

holygeesus

Banned

Hey but you're the same guy who was posting about LG QA slacking on the 2017 models regarding uniformity right. Is that not another reason to prefer 2016 OLED?

There are still good ones out there. It's just getting lucky on the panel lottery seems harder. I would still risk it, considering you are getting the improvements of the new panels (especially near black performance) and would likely be spending as much on the E6 as you would be on a B/C7. I can't see why you would buy an older model in that scenario.

Mrbob

hopefully LG get plenty of complaints that they'll be more or less forced to properly fix the HDR game mode, but righht now it sounds like it's exactly what LG wants. There's a good chance we'll be stuck with having to use dynamic contrast at high and change game brighrness per game, sigh.

Just pray for a fix when running HDR in PC mode. Right now input is identical on any non hdr setting when playing games in pc mode. I go to PC mode and have ISF bright on when I play games on my C7.

Top Bottom