• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Purdy

Need a bit of help from some UK folk.

Have a budget of ~£1000, is there a decent 4K TV with good input latency around this price, happy to go north or south a few hundred on that (49"-55")

Was thinking this - this , equivalent to x900e which is highly recommended on rtings I believe, however would like to go a bit cheaper and buy a ~200 quid soundbar

I just set Black Level to High with PS4pro at full RGB. It seems to keep deep black potential but not crushed. Is there any reason to use PC mode on the input? PS4Pro HDR doesn’t work with it?

Kyoufu

Need a bit of help from some UK folk.

Have a budget of ~£1000, is there a decent 4K TV with good input latency around this price, happy to go north or south a few hundred on that (49"-55")

Was thinking this - this , equivalent to x900e which is highly recommended on rtings I believe, however would like to go a bit cheaper and buy a ~200 quid soundbar

I'd get the TV now and the soundbar later. Get the display right first and then think about sound when you've nailed the picture.

Traxtech

Doesn't PS4 trigger a automatic dimmer after a few minutes? Xbox One does this and I would assume PS4 too? If the screen dims I don't think IR should be happening anymore or is a screen dimmer not a guarantee that IR won't happen? Not sure anymore now.

It usually does, but it seems the hell blade pause menu might be dim enough. Especially because it blacks out majority of the screen and the bars at the top are a bright white. They're gone now but I was a bit scared at first, Once I've had this for over 8 months and I've put hundreds of hours into static hud games and never ever seen it before

Paragon

Not exactly a consumer-oriented product either (strictly speaking), but the EIZO ColorEdge PROMINENCE CG3145 shows it will soon be made available for purchase to the general public:
After NAB Show 2017 Tokyo:EIZO、31.1型HDRリファレンスモニター「ColorEdge PROMINENCE CG3145」を展示 | レポート | Macお宝鑑定団 blog(羅針盤)
http://www.macotakara.jp/blog/report/entry-32614.html

That's a professional display rather than a consumer display, but yes I've been keeping track of it. I would expect it to cost a minimum of $5000, and very likely five figures if it's being sold as a broadcast monitor.

ss_lemonade

This is good info, thank you! What about the normal PS4? Still Limited + Low Blacks? I got the B6-model.
On my Samsung KS9000, my normal PS4 has to be set to full RGB (and the TV has to match it too, or be left at automatic since auto detect works for me here) for HDR content, else I end up with crushed blacks. I was always used to using limited on everything and was left wondering why HDR games like Horizon were so damn dark. For non HDR games, limited limited or full full work just fine so I just ended up staying with full (PS4) and automatic (TV) since that works fine with everything.

gogojira

Very tempted to bite on the C7P 55" for $2200. I know that's pricey and if I wait, it'll come down more towards the holidays, but I've had this PS4 Pro sitting under an old Panasonic plasma for too long now. WHAT TO DO WHAT TO DO.

Very close to getting a lg e6 imported.. Anything I should know? Is the image noisy? Are the blacks very crushed?
Is the input lag noticable? In game mode of course. Coming from TV with 16-17 ms input lag so I dunno.

Also, how are the risks of burn in, or dead pixels?

Thanks in advance.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Had my X930E delivered yesterday. Haven't subjected it to any close scrutiny with grey slides and all that (and maybe I shouldn't), but so far so good. Also haven't really had a chance to try much HDR content yet. But just about any content is a huge upgrade over my old 40W4000. Upgraded my Netflix account to 4K, tried some Ozark, and yeah, nice.

Also, man, that is one HEAVY TV. Setting it up myself was not the greatest idea. I did it, but it's clearly a 2-man job.

Silly question: Isn't Android TV supposed to do Smart Lock (well, unlock), specifically with Netflix? I found several articles saying it should, but it didn't for me. On my phone it does (my Google account automatically signs me into my Netflix account), but on the TV nothing. No big deal (Android TV app on my phone makes entering text a lot easier), just bugs me when stuff doesn't work the way it's supposed to.

On my Samsung KS9000, my normal PS4 has to be set to full RGB (and the TV has to match it too, or be left at automatic since auto detect works for me here) for HDR content, else I end up with crushed blacks. I was always used to using limited on everything and was left wondering why HDR games like Horizon were so damn dark. For non HDR games, limited limited or full full work just fine so I just ended up staying with full (PS4) and automatic (TV) since that works fine with everything.

Interesting, I always wondered if this issue was exclusive to the LGs but it seems to happen across brands. So the standard PS4 is outputting wrong video levels in HDR when set to limited RGB. I wonder if Sony is aware of the issue.

Is the Samsung MU6400 the best TV for HDR gaming that is readily available nowadays at 40" in the UK?
I know last year's Sony was supposed to be good (the X800 whatever it was), but that's hard to find now.

Would smallish text on games be more legible on a 40"? I have a 32" currently, and the text on some games is so small/thin that it doesn't even display properly. Like, it's not that I can't read it because it's small, as my eyesight is fine, it just turns into a jumbled mess basically. I can look at the same image on my phone or a small monitor during remote play, or play the same game on PC and it's clear as anything.

TheBoss1

Is the Samsung MU6400 the best TV for HDR gaming that is readily available nowadays at 40" in the UK?
I know last year's Sony was supposed to be good (the X800 whatever it was), but that's hard to find now.

Would smallish text on games be more legible on a 40"? I have a 32" currently, and the text on some games is so small/thin that it doesn't even display properly. Like, it's not that I can't read it because it's small, as my eyesight is fine, it just turns into a jumbled mess basically. I can look at the same image on my phone or a small monitor during remote play, or play the same game on PC and it's clear as anything.

Try enabling PC mode on your 32" TV. It should help with reading text.

So is the below advice legit? I should set PS4 to 2160p RGB rather than Auto, for my Sony A1 OLED?

2160p RGB is ALWAYS better than 2160p YUV420, unless your TV/monitor has compatibility issues.

RGB and YUV420 here are compression modes. RGB is uncompressed, while YUV420 compresses video data to 1/2 of their original size.

YUV420 is there because some old 4K TVs support only HDMI 2.0 metadata, but not HDMI 2.0 bandwidth of 18Gbps. However, fully uncompressed 2160p 8-bit (SDR) RGB video requires 17.82Gbps (at 60fps, same below), which exceeds the limit of those old TVs. On the other hand, 2160p 8-bit (SDR) YUV420 video requires only 8.91Gbps, and will work without any problem. In such cases, players are not able to choose 2160p RGB at all, due to bandwidth limits.

For new 4K TVs that support HDMI 2.0 bandwidth of 18Gbps, it is obviously that they are capable for both 2160p 8-bit (SDR) RGB (17.82Gbps) and 2160p 8-bit (SDR) YUV420 (8.91Gbps). To get better video quality, we have no reason to choose YUV420 over RGB.

For HDR videos, it’s a bit tricky. Theoretically, uncompressed 2160p 10-bit (HDR) video requires 22.28Gbps and therefore exceeds the limit of HDMI 2.0, so it won’t work at all. On the other hand, 1/2 compressed 2160p 10-bit (HDR) YUV420 video requires only 11.14Gbps, and will obviously work without any problem.

I guess many people made a mistake here. At first, I too thought that I could get 10-bit (HDR) video only with output mode set to 2160p YUV420 because 2160p HDR RGB exceeds the bandwidth limit. However, when you play HDR contents with output mode set to 2160p RGB, PS4 Pro actually outputs in 2160p 12-bit (HDR) YUV422 (17.82Gbps). So, what is this mode?

As we mentioned before. RGB is uncompressed, while YUV420 is 1/2 compressed. Similarly, YUV422 is 2/3 compressed. It provides better video quality than YUV420 but not so good as RGB. The HDR mode used in PS4 is 10-bit HDR. However, there is no video mode in HDMI 2.0 standard for 10-bit YUV422, so 12-bit YUV422 video mode is used instead, where 2 bits are padded with zero.

In sum, 2160p 12-bit (HDR) YUV422 is the best video quality Sony could provide given this and that limits of HDMI 2.0, and you could only get it when PS4’s video output is set to 2160p RGB. If you choose 2160p YUV420, compared to 2160p RGB, you will get only 1/2 video data for SDR contents, and only 3/4 video data for HDR contents, respectively.

Try enabling PC mode on your 32" TV. It should help with reading text.

I have done. It's a really old Techwood though, and since our Panasonic Plasma broke (I miss that thing), the replacement LG has ridiculous input lag, so I've not been able to play on the bigger living room TV.

It's mostly things like the text on games like the Witcher 3 (even with the larger HUD enabled), notes in Dishonored 2, the kill feed in Battlefield 4 etc. If I put it to 720p it's better, but I'd rather play at 1080p.

TheBoss1

I have done. It's a really old Techwood though, and since our Panasonic Plasma broke (I miss that thing), the replacement LG has ridiculous input lag, so I've not been able to play on the bigger living room TV.

It's mostly things like the text on games like the Witcher 3 (even with the larger HUD enabled), notes in Dishonored 2, the kill feed in Battlefield 4 etc. If I put it to 720p it's better, but I'd rather play at 1080p.

What's your budget for a TV? And what size range?

TheBoss1

Got the Spears and Munsil 2nd Edition disc. So excited to see how incredibly bad I am at eyeballing TV settings :)

I remember being interested in this calibration disc some years ago but ended up getting the Disney one instead. Let us know how it goes.

What's your budget for a TV? And what size range?

Size would be a 4K at 40-43".
For price, ideally under £600-700.

The 4K is mainly for future proofing, as I only have a standard PS4, and I'm only really gonna use it for gaming and the occasional Blu Ray. I'd also like to have HDR, although I know that there is pretty much nothing at that size that can display 1000 nits to take full advantage of it. I also usually play in a dark room, and play facing it, so good picture quality in the dark is essential, but viewing angles don't really matter to me.

ss_lemonade

Interesting, I always wondered if this issue was exclusive to the LGs but it seems to happen across brands. So the standard PS4 is outputting wrong video levels in HDR when set to limited RGB. I wonder if Sony is aware of the issue.
Could it be related to how the standard PS4 does HDR, since it still allows me to select black level on my TV when viewing such content. With HDR movies, my bluray player for instance locks out the black level option, and a PS4 Pro I believe does the same.

TheBoss1

Size would be a 4K at 40-43".
For price, ideally under £600-700.

The 4K is mainly for future proofing, as I only have a standard PS4, and I'm only really gonna use it for gaming and the occasional Blu Ray. I'd also like to have HDR, although I know that there is pretty much nothing at that size that can display 1000 nits to take full advantage of it. I also usually play in a dark room, and play facing it, so good picture quality in the dark is essential, but viewing angles don't really matter to me.

Yeah that X800D would have been ideal for your budget. There's the TCL P-Series but so far it has only been released in the US and it is 55", or else that would be the ideal set for you this year. I honestly don't know what to recommend because it's tougher to get a good set when the budget is low and the size range is small.

Yeah that X800D would have been ideal for your budget. There's the TCL P-Series but so far it has only been released in the US and it is 55", or else that would be the ideal set for you this year. I honestly don't know what to recommend because it's tougher to get a good set when the budget is low and the size range is small.

I may jump on the MU6400. Looking at rtings, it's the second best in that size behind the X800D (well, the American MU7000 equivalent is anyway).
It's only for a small room, which is why I'm not looking for a larger size.

Anyone with lg oled who can answer any of these?

Very close to getting a lg e6 imported.. Anything I should know? Is the image noisy? Are the blacks very crushed?
Is the input lag noticable? In game mode of course. Coming from TV with 16-17 ms input lag so I dunno.

Also, how are the risks of burn in, or dead pixels?

Thanks in advance.

HDR Game with FH3 makes the game really dark on the LG E6 :/ What has happened?
If you got the latest update, it did something to game hdr from what I've read.

Bustanen

Was playing some No Man's Sky on my B6 today and suddenly the screen went all green and blue. First thought that it was the game or PS4 glitching but same thing on other inputs and menus.

The screen stayed all blue even when I shut it down. Had to pull the plug to reset it.
The same thing happened for a second time but after that it's been working normally for hours now.

Service or not? TV is barely 2 months old.

JPASNOZl.jpg

ZrFTRlDl.jpg

8k1cBa4l.jpg

Was playing some No Man's Sky on my B6 today and suddenly the screen went all green and blue. First thought that it was the game or PS4 glitching but same thing on other inputs and menus.

The screen stayed all blue even when I shut it down. Had to pull the plug to reset it.
The same thing happened for a second time but after that it's been working normally for hours now.

That's a bummer.

Troubleshooting can definitely suck with issues like that, because if a tech comes out, and you can't reproduce the issue, there's nothing for them to fix.

Could definitely try getting ahold of someone maybe in LG CS/tech CS and see if you could send them the pictures somehow and see if they have any thoughts?

Bustanen

That's a bummer.

Troubleshooting can definitely suck with issues like that, because if a tech comes out, and you can't reproduce the issue, there's nothing for them to fix.

Could definitely try getting ahold of someone maybe in LG CS/tech CS and see if you could send them the pictures somehow and see if they have any thoughts?
Yeah will send some pictures to LG if it occurs again. Just my luck when I was going to build my new 4K gaming rig next week lol

holygeesus

Banned

JPASNOZl.jpg

ZrFTRlDl.jpg

8k1cBa4l.jpg

What firmware are you on?

MAX PAYMENT

How does best buys TV service plan work?

I bought the 2 year protection plan for my TV. It's been almost 2 years and now it's having issues with randomly shutting off.

What can BB do for me?

Macaco84

Well, for those following my case (See previous posts on thread) I have decided to go for a refund rather than pursue a moral case with my store.

Yes, I admit I am picky. But I do not expect the kind of faults I have had on sets costing £2500.

I will buy a cheap 55 inch for about £700 and try again for a good set in 2 years time.

Marmelade

Well, for those following my case (See previous posts on thread) I have decided to go for a refund rather than pursue a moral case with my store.

Yes, I admit I am picky. But I do not expect the kind of faults I have had on sets costing £2500.

I will buy a cheap 55 inch for about £700 and try again for a good set in 2 years time.

Buying a TV sucks.
It's literally a lottery.

Macaco84

Buying a TV sucks.
It's literally a lottery.

Amen to that.

I've suffered constant dropouts from my first oled (LG e6 connected to ps4) followed by a horrible vertical band on two Sony xe90s

My store thinks I'm ocd. Gaf thinks I'm ocd.

I just think it isn't unreasonable to expect a £2500 tv to have good uniformity and sustain a ps4 connection.

HDR Game with FH3 makes the game really dark on the LG E6 :/ What has happened?

Something the B6 and several other OLED models have been coping with. It's about fucking time LG realizes this is not good.

Instead of that we now have to crank the game brightness up to get a remotely similar result. And if the game has no such option you're fucked.

Kyoufu

Something the B6 and several other OLED models have been coping with. It's about fucking time LG realizes this is not good.

Instead of that we now have to crank the game brightness up to get a remotely similar result. And if the game has no such option you're fucked.

HZD has a brightness slider but unfortunately it doesn't help much :(. Only band-aid solution is to use Dynamic Contrast.

HZD has a brightness slider but unfortunately it doesn't help much :(. Only band-aid solution is to use Dynamic Contrast.

Absolutely nutso. Really hope LG get their act together or hope playing at HDR Bright is playable in terms of input lag. HDR doesn't matter for me until One X comes out but the way this is going it's not looking good. Yet any other TV is doing this fine, sigh.

HooYaH

How does best buys TV service plan work?

I bought the 2 year protection plan for my TV. It's been almost 2 years and now it's having issues with randomly shutting off.

What can BB do for me?
They'll send Geek Squad to look at the tv; if there's anything wrong they'll replace it, but if the model doesn't exist anymore, you can replace it with any TV at which you paid for originally.

BumRush

I remember being interested in this calibration disc some years ago but ended up getting the Disney one instead. Let us know how it goes.

Update: they shouldn't sell HDTVs without calibration discs. Can't speak for the Disney WOW disc but the Spears and Munsil 2nd Edition disc was pretty damn intuitive (for the basic stuff) and it significantly increased the picture on my plasma. Going to tinker a little more but I'm already so pleased for $30.

Top Bottom