• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

The difference between 65" and 75" is massive - 33% larger area.
IPS panels may not have the best contrast but are better than VA panels in every other way.
VA panels have clouding problems, very slow response times with dark colors, ugly gamma and color shifting with wide viewing angles.
With large VA panels, the viewing angle problems are clearly visible in the corners of the screen even if you are sitting directly in front of it. Anyone sitting off-center gets a bad image.
That Sony is probably not what I would have bought, but it really depends on what your priorities are.

I agree with all your points, but even if I sat at an angle, I'd still never buy an IPS display! But also some of these IPS panels have terrible uniformity with dark scenes, most of those issues that VA panels have can be overcome with buying quality, and maybe some dark streaking and faded corners you can't beat, but for enthusiasts like most of us, an IPS in whatever situation will never be an option.

The Beard

What is your current speaker set-up? If it is only 5.1 you could save yourself some cash and use the optical out of your new TV (make sure the one you buy has one first obviously)

You can't get loseless 5.1 out of the optical port though. It'd work for streaming sites and cable tv but it's not ideal for BluRay or PS4/XBO.

NYR

I just downloaded the Amazon Video app on my LG E6 - I thought it supported 4K and HDR? I'm in Canada if that makes a difference.

Kyoufu

I just downloaded the Amazon Video app on my LG E6 - I thought it supported 4K and HDR? I'm in Canada if that makes a difference.

It does but you need to play the 4K HDR supported video on the app. Amazon lists two different versions for some reason.

Sami+

Are there no good sub-40" 4K HDR sets? I want something for my bedroom and anything bigger is overkill. I'm looking around but am worried about wasting money on "Fake HDR" or some Sharp shit I found at Walmart that's listed as 4K but apparently doesn't even support the form of HDMI required for it or something.

Hate being almost completely in the dark here. :/ Lots of TVs also seem to be difficult to find reviews for apart from the huge $1000+ ones.

The Beard

Are there no good sub-40" 4K HDR sets? I want something for my bedroom and anything bigger is overkill. I'm looking around but am worried about wasting money on "Fake HDR" or some Sharp shit I found at Walmart that's listed as 4K but apparently doesn't even support the form of HDMI required for it or something.

Hate being almost completely in the dark here. :/ Lots of TVs also seem to be difficult to find reviews for apart from the huge $1000+ ones.

No, there aren't any. Manufacturers don't care about >40", and it shows. All you're going to find is edge-lit garbage, with weak blacks/brightness, and terrible contrast ratios. If you do find an under 40" HDR, it'll be HDR in name only.

Weevilone

I agree with all your points, but even if I sat at an angle, I'd still never buy an IPS display! But also some of these IPS panels have terrible uniformity with dark scenes, most of those issues that VA panels have can be overcome with buying quality, and maybe some dark streaking and faded corners you can't beat, but for enthusiasts like most of us, an IPS in whatever situation will never be an option.

I bought one for general purpose family use and it's good. Rarely does it get viewed in low light and almost always in moderate light. Viewing angles are very wide so VA wasn't an option. I still feel it was a good call. If Sony or LG comes thru with a fantastic bunch of OLED improvements in the next few years I'll slide my current OLED in there, which I think would be ideal.

Marmelade

The difference between 65" and 75" is massive - 33% larger area.
IPS panels may not have the best contrast but are better than VA panels in every other way.
VA panels have clouding problems, very slow response times with dark colors, ugly gamma and color shifting with wide viewing angles.
With large VA panels, the viewing angle problems are clearly visible in the corners of the screen even if you are sitting directly in front of it. Anyone sitting off-center gets a bad image.
That Sony is probably not what I would have bought, but it really depends on what your priorities are.

Backlight uniformity is even worse on an IPS panel (+ IPS glow)

TheBoss1

Can't wait to see what Sony brings to the table with their OLED TVs. I really wanted an OLED this year but I prefer it coming from Sony or Samsung, though LG's version looks fantastic. Either way, I am excited for CES.

Sami+

No, there aren't any. Manufacturers don't care about >40", and it shows. All you're going to find is edge-lit garbage, with weak blacks/brightness, and terrible contrast ratios. If you do find an under 40" HDR, it'll be HDR in name only.

Damn, that really sucks. What's the best alternative? Or should I just keep on trucking with 1080p non-HDR?

I bought one for general purpose family use and it's good. Rarely does it get viewed in low light and almost always in moderate light. Viewing angles are very wide so VA wasn't an option. I still feel it was a good call. If Sony or LG comes thru with a fantastic bunch of OLED improvements in the next few years I'll slide my current OLED in there, which I think would be ideal.

That's fair enough, it's a bit of a different story if it's watched in a well lit/daytime environment, for me it's the opposite, and never get to watch TV or play games in the day.

watership

Amazon Video Just shadow launched in Canada, so that may be why you're having some trouble. Canada also only has Amazon original content, not anything else. And I don't see many shows in the Amazon 4k lists online, so that may be it.

Theonik

FALD is very space intensive. That's why it is normally offered in 65" or up. It also makes no sense to offer expensive technology in some situations sizes meant for the budget conscious.

Afrikan

Huh. I'm not seeing it in the app....

Same here. Not getting any hdr and can't find specific content. I'm from France and we finally have access starting today.

does your internet speed support 4K?

are you using wireless or wired connection?

My Amazon App was acting funny a few days ago... but after exiting out and back in, it labeled the titles correctly. I was testing Mad Dogs...then watched the second episode of Grand Tour.

both support 4K HDR.

NYR

does your internet speed support 4K?

are you using wireless or wired connection?

My Amazon App was acting funny a few days ago... but after exiting out and back in, it labeled the titles correctly. I was testing Mad Dogs...then watched the second episode of Grand Tour.
Everything works for me internet wise, I have 4K/HDR with Netflix working fine via the TV app.

Paragon

It's a tough decision because TVs are typically only using 1000:1 IPS panels compared to the ~1700:1 panels appearing in mobile devices.
Then again most TVs are now using 3000:1 native VA panels compared to the older 5000:1 native VA panels.

I don't know if I could bring myself to spend $2700 on one of those IPS TVs.
But I also find it difficult to justify spending that sort of money on a high-end VA panel today now that OLED is here.

If only things didn't have to be a compromise no matter what you buy.
IPS / VA / OLED displays all have different strengths and weaknesses.
There is no display which is "best" today.

I wish we could get NVIDIA or ASUS to produce a gaming display using one of LG's OLED panels.
It won't fix the brightness problems, but having someone other than LG handle the processing should be able to make a much better gaming display.
Even if Sony include an impulse mode on their OLEDs next year, there's no guarantee that they will be refreshing at 60Hz, and I'm certain that they won't support variable refresh rates.

Backlight uniformity is even worse on an IPS panel (+ IPS glow)
Well those are different issues.
Clouding/Mura is typically a VA problem and it's a panel uniformity issue.

Backlight uniformity is caused by the display assembly/design and can be an issue for any LCD type.
The exception are full array local dimming displays which can have each zone calibrated so that the brightness is uniform across all zones.
You can have a FALD LCD which has perfect backlight uniformity, but which suffers from clouding/mura due to the VA panel placed in front of it though.

IPS Glow is only a problem for some displays, not all of them.
Here is a comparison between two different IPS panels - only one of them suffers from IPS Glow.

The panels Apple are using in their "retina displays" don't seem to have much/any IPS Glow either - at least not with the devices I've used.
I think it's a much bigger problem for AUO-produced AHVA "IPS-Type" panels than actual LG / Panasonic IPS panels, which gives IPS a bad name.
Samsung's "Super PLS" panels, which is their "IPS-type" technology, also seem to be good displays.

Viewing angles on VA panels are significantly worse than IPS, and you have issues like black crush to deal with on VA panels as well.
Here are two displays which are as similar as could be for comparison.
IPS panel.
VA panel.

VA panels have the best contrast, there's no question of that, but the area of the screen where you actually get that contrast is so small, and they have so many other issues.
My Sony TV uses a 5000:1 native contrast VA panel and I don't think I would buy another.

That's why I'm really excited by the Panasonic IPS announcement.
Their IPS-Alpha panel technology has always been the best type of LCD, and now they have increased the contrast to 1,000,000:1 native.
That has a lot of potential to compete with OLED. It won't win on absolute black, but could be better in most other areas.

My concern is if/when they will be available in consumer products.
So far, their best IPS-Alpha panels have only been made available in medical displays, and possibly broadcast monitors.
Panasonic seem to be moving away from consumer products - especially televisions. I don't think their OLED is even available outside of Europe.

cooldawn

Sorry if this isn't the right place but I need some confirmation Audiophile GAF!

My theatre system went pop on Sunday just gone so I've been looking for a replacement. A couple of years ago my mum bought an ONKYO TX-SR577...and she want's to give it to me (she want's to buy a Q Acoustics M4 Soundbar instead - very nice).

Awesome, right! Except it's HDMI 1.3a!!

I want to connect my PS4 Pro to it...will there be any incompatibility with this AV Receiver? I know I can use Optical Out for audio but I thought PS4 and PS4 Pro used HDMI 1.4 for video.

NYR

Yeah same for me, everything is peachy on Netflix. Locked in 1080p on Amazon though on both the ps4 pro and the LG app.
A bit of a pain, eh? I sent an email to Amazon, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't include it on purpose to fast track the app.

Fox1304

A bit of a pain, eh? I sent an email to Amazon, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't include it on purpose to fast track the app.
Yeah, I was looking forward to finally watching The Grand Tour in HDR tonight. Guess not.

Marmelade

Well those are different issues.
Clouding/Mura is typically a VA problem and it's a panel uniformity issue.

First time I've heard that.
I've seen my fair share of clouding on IPS panel, moreso than on VA
Looking at rting and their black uniformity rankings, 8 of the ten worst ones are IPS with backlight bleeding and clouding issues for the most part

http://ca.rtings.com/tv/tests/picture-quality/black-uniformity-clouding-flashlighting

Gray uniformity is also worse on IPS which can lead to (even more) banding, DSE
http://ca.rtings.com/tv/tests/picture-quality/gray-uniformity-dirty-screen-effect-dse

I'm not saying IPS doesn't have anything over VA (it does like you've said) but panel uniformity, whether it's clouding, backlight bleeding, banding, DSE...is in general worse

Also curious about what Panasonic has in store.
For people like me who do most of their watching in a dim (if not pitch black) room, IPS is not an option at the moment

I'm wondering if I should invest in an a/v receiver just to connect multiple devices to my C6 TV since it only has 3 HDMI ports...

My sound setup is pretty crappy (I have 2.1 Logitech speakers and RS 185 sennheiser wireless headphone) so I'm thinking av receiver may actually be overkill, but then I need a device that can support 4k@60hz 4:4:4 (for pc) so HDMI switch is out of question.

I'm currently looking at Onkyo TX-NR545, price seems decent and it offers 6 HDMI ports, though I'm still not sure if I should get one or just get a 4k switcher for other devices and plug my PC directly to the TV...

I'm wondering if I should invest in an a/v receiver just to connect multiple devices to my C6 TV since it only has 3 HDMI ports...

My sound setup is pretty crappy (I have 2.1 Logitech speakers and RS 185 sennheiser wireless headphone) so I'm thinking av receiver may actually be overkill, but then I need a device that can support 4k@60hz 4:4:4 (for pc) so HDMI switch is out of question.

I'm currently looking at Onkyo TX-NR545, price seems decent and it offers 6 HDMI ports, though I'm still not sure if I should get one or just get a 4k switcher for other devices and plug my PC directly to the TV...

I'm going to buy a receiver and then I'll slowly build my system around it. I'm using the setup that sector suggested

III-V

Sorry if this isn't the right place but I need some confirmation Audiophile GAF!

My theatre system went pop on Sunday just gone so I've been looking for a replacement. A couple of years ago my mum bought an ONKYO TX-SR577...and she want's to give it to me (she want's to buy a Q Acoustics M4 Soundbar instead - very nice).

Awesome, right! Except it's HDMI 1.3a!!

I want to connect my PS4 Pro to it...will there be any incompatibility with this AV Receiver? I know I can use Optical Out for audio but I thought PS4 and PS4 Pro used HDMI 1.4 for video.

Yes that will be an issue, you need HDMI 2.0a with HDCP 2.2 for full compatibility with the Pro.

cooldawn

Yes that will be an issue, you need HDMI 2.0a with HDCP 2.2 for full compatibility with the Pro.
OK. When I get a 4K TV I can continue to run Optical to the receiver for sound and connect my PS4 Pro directly to the TV via HDMI for 4k...rather than doing it all through a single HDMI.

Thank you.

vpance

Sony OLEDs out by mid 2017. How much better could it be vs LGs?

Next year will be the perfect time to upgrade, oh yes.

sector4

I'm not sure how Motionflow settings are named now in newer models. Impulse was the old name for the backlight strobing mode. But just turn on Game Mode and see if anything Motionflow-related is available.
I'll have a look tonight for you!
The Resi 7 demo has 2 calibration modes for HDR, one for peak nit brightness which goes up to 2000, and another for general HDR brightness, mine gets to 1400 till the box disappears, see what you think.
I will try this tonight after work and let you know how I go! :D
I watched the Secret Life of Pets via UHB Blu-Ray/HDR on the B6. Good christ that was stunning. My wife, who doesn't give a wit about picture quality/HDR, blah blah walked in the room and was like "Wow, that looks amazing!".

Love this TV.
Haha that's when you know it's a decent set. My girlfriend insisted that she wouldn't be able to tell the difference and it'll be "just a TV", but then she was left speechless in awe during certain shots in The Revenant, she actually started laughing at how good it looked haha!

BumRush

Devils advocate, but wouldn't LG having the most recent multi-year experience with OLED give them a leg up over Sony and Panasonic? I'm a huge fan of Sony AND Panasonic TVs (love my plasma with a fiery passion), but I'm not sure I expect their 2017 models to be significantly better than LGs (and they will most likely be more expensive, rumor aside).

Thoughts?

vpance

Devils advocate, but wouldn't LG having the most recent multi-year experience with OLED give them a leg up over Sony and Panasonic? I'm a huge fan of Sony AND Panasonic TVs (love my plasma with a fiery passion), but I'm not sure I expect their 2017 models to be significantly better than LGs (and they will most likely be more expensive, rumor aside).

Thoughts?

Sony has quite a bit of experience with OLED, just nothing for consumers.

The Beard

Thoughts?

Well, Sony will be using LG panels and applying their own image processing and Smart TV OS. I think at the very least Sony's OLED will be better than LG's 2016 models at handling sub 4K content and possibly shadow detail. It's not possible to improve the blacks, and I doubt they'll squeeze more brightness out of the panels than LG has so far.

It'll be interesting to see who's 2017 model is better though (if Sony even releases one).

sector4

Thoughts?
I'd expect pretty big things from Sony and Panasonic, they both have excellent image processing!

BumRush

Well, Sony will be using LG panels and applying their own image processing and Smart TV OS. I think at the very least Sony's OLED will be better than LG's 2016 models at handling sub 4K content and possibly shadow detail. It's not possible to improve the blacks, and I doubt they'll squeeze more brightness out of the panels than LG has so far.

It'll be interesting to see who's 2017 model is better though
(if Sony even releases one).

Yeah, well said...I guess the bolded is what I'm trying to say.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Curious to see if another manufacturer will be cheaper than LG for OLED since others likely won't be supporting Dolby Vision.

Kyoufu

Honestly, I think the Sony will be due to the interface and x1 chip. First part is all subjective, but the x1 is just amazing

Yeah I'd opt for WebOS over Android or Firefox OS personally, but the X1 is pretty good at processing.

I wonder which OLEDs will remove 3D and push brightness as high as possible.

SOLDIER

I believe it was thought the Xbox One uses the same linear gamma line as the 360 resulting in non-optimal results when calibrating. If game devs adjust for it, you shouldn't get crushed blacks. If they didn't, then it will crush. Earlier games having the most issues.
http://filmicgames.com/archives/14

There was lots of threads about, especially around launch.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=722069

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=988325
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=869927

So what settings should I set for both the XB1 and my TV?

Yeah I'd opt for WebOS over Android or Firefox OS personally, but the X1 is pretty good at processing.

I love Android OS for some reason. Probably just used to it.

I want one with 3D and one without. Best of both worlds. But then I'm still looking at the z9d lustingly. Idk what to do

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The rumored Sony prices sound to be in line with current prices. So here's hoping 2017 pricing is lower all around
Any good rundowns of the Sony rumors? Just heard them for the first time today in this thread.

I imagine most will. If they could get OLED to about 1000 bits without aggressive ABL it'll be glorious.

That's basically half of what the E6 launched at in the US I think. Didn't think prices would come down that drastically.

How do you think the z9d compares to the e6?

But yea, pricing looks good going into next year for Sony OLED. LG will have to match. Hopefully Panasonic will add additional pressure

Top Bottom