• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TellTale confirms season two of Game of Thrones

Haunted

Screenshot-Original.png
That is literally a piece of (beautiful) concept art with a couple boats thrown in front.

Hardly indicative of the majority of the game. The same criticism as with all the other Telltale games running on that last gen engine: square, low poly environments, weak 3D modelling, subpar character animation (both full body and facial) and animation transitions, questionable texture work (even the heavily applied watercolour photoshop filter can't hide all the flaws, makes it looks better in promotional screenshots though) and all that without going into the performance issues on the various platforms.

SOLDIER

"Game of Thrones: A series with no inherently good or evil characters, just shaed of grey."

Except the most evil characters are insanely evil and they constantly get away with everything all the time.

Bowlie

Banned
I dropped it on episode 2 or 3, don't remember very well.

I don't plan on buying, got tired of the "everyone dies" formula from non-book GoT and the "your choices mean but kinda don't" formula from TTG, but I genuinely hope they do good on the next season!

NeoRaider

Who asked for this??
Where is The Wolf Among Us 2?

I would be more excited if I heard their engine has drastically improved.

Will they ever do that? I mean as long as they are releasing iOS/Android version of their games i don't think so.
Few days ago i saw few Tales from the Borderlands PC screenshots, and it still looks like a shit.

jesu

I liked it and I'll probably get the second season at the right price but it probably wasn't as good as The Walking Dead or The Wolf Among Us.
I've just got Tales From The Borderlands, I hear that is one of their best so looking forward to that at some point.

How are they gonna deal with the fact the certain character live or die based on your choices? Just pick a path and go "this is what you were supposed to do"?

Certinty

Bought the first season and couldn't even get through the second episode.

Hopefully we get The Wolf Among Us Season 2 and Tales from the Borderlands Season 2 as well otherwise I'll be insanely pissed.

petghost

Banned
Hopefully the good word of mouth surrounding tales from the borderlands pushes it into financially viable sequel territory

Telltale doesnt really care about quality, they are driven exclusively by money as time has shown again and again. So since GoT likely sold a lot better than Borderlands and TWAU they will probably make a lot more of GoT instead and the others will be shelved. Sorry guys :/

Real Hero

"Game of Thrones: A series with no inherently good or evil characters, just shaed of grey."

Except the most evil characters are insanely evil and they constantly get away with everything all the time.
yeah the 'morally grey' stuff people like to say about this show is just wrong

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I agree and it's my goty but it seems like not that many people played it in the first place! LiS def got a lot of the episodic adventure attention this year.

i'm super glad Life is Strange and Until Dawn sold so well, and alongside TftB we had a great year for this modern style of adventure game but man..... really hope TftB is profitable

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Oh come on! Tales from Borderlands would have been a much better choice for a 2nd season.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
They kinda have to, with that ending.

Yeah. I would have been seriously pissed otherwise. I am still kinda pissed about the cliffhanger ending nonetheless.

Otherwise, I welcome a new season. Many apparently didn't seem to like the first one, but I thought that they really captured the Game of Thrones feeling really well, even though the story at times made pointless moves to shoehorn GoT characters and themes in.

ElTorro

That is literally a piece of (beautiful) concept art with a couple boats thrown in front.

Hardly indicative of the majority of the game. The same criticism as with all the other Telltale games running on that last gen engine: square, low poly environments, weak 3D modelling, subpar character animation (both full body and facial) and animation transitions, questionable texture work (even the heavily applied watercolour photoshop filter can't hide all the flaws, makes it looks better in promotional screenshots though) and all that without going into the performance issues on the various platforms.

The visual style a good compromise for a game that has to run on mobile phones as well.

But the engine's loading hick-ups between camera angles are inexcusable.

Unless they've saved the majority of their effort for Season 2, I can't imagine this will be much better.

Who knows though, maybe it was intended to be a slow burn from the start. Surprise me Telltale.

The numerous Telltale series I've played have really laid bare the skeleton behind the illusion of choice they provide.

Namely, if you spare an optional NPC who could otherwise die, expect that NPC to contribute nothing to further the story and to eventually die anyway.

In the case of Game of Thrones, the choices which lead certain characters to live and others to die almost certainly means that those characters will either be relegated to the sidelines or killed off at the start of season 2.

in my game, Asher survived, he killed Ludd, and Mira was beheaded. I would've willing to bet money that Asher/Rodrik will die from his wounds in the final battle, Ludd/Gryff will either be killed or be inconsequential to season 2, and we won't return to Kings Landing.

As long as people understand that it's not much more than an interactive setpiece with pre-determined outcomes, TT games are fine for what they are.

400 Days was garbage, though.

Cilla

The last chapter left a bitter taste in my mouth. It was horrendously awful. Seeing TellTale RT positive reviews on it makes me seethe.

As much as I love GoT, I won't be buying the next season.

Dysun

Good, I'll buy it

For what its worth a Season 2 of this and Walking Dead are the only IPs I'd be interested in them continuing anyhow

The night truly is dark and full of terrors if this, almost universally agreed to be the worst Telltale game since Jurassic Park, can get a second season and The Wolf Among Us is still in limbo :(

Krabboss

I couldn't get through the first episode and everything I've read about the series on GAF and elsewhere has given me no reason to go back.

I'm interested to see how well it sold because I wouldn't really think there'd be much overlap between the TV show fans and people who'd want to play a TT game.

Yaari

I finished S1 but I'm done with it. I have no interest in S2. I only completed it because I had bought that Telltale bundle. Overall I'm disappointed in Telltale engine and the overall quality of the game aswell as the story just not being all that great.

I like GoT a lot but I'm done with Telltale games until they step it up.

Who?!

Neo Member
Good! I really like the 1st season, especially because my savefile is a total trainwreck.
I´ll definitely do a 2nd playthrough.

I'm not getting that second season of TWAU any time soon, am I? If at all...

Season 1 was good, but I'd rather have something a bit different like TWAU and such. I already felt a bit of fatigue with the setting of the first season of GOT because I already spent a lot of time with the show, which did make it drag on despite standing on its own pretty well.

nubbe

I think people want a season 2 of The Wolf Among Us and Tales from the Borderlands...
Not this

OUT OF TOUCH

Haunted

The visual style a good compromise for a game that has to run on mobile phones as well.

But the engine's loading hick-ups between camera angles are inexcusable.
Oh, I'm sure the people playing this game on their phones aren't complaining about the visual fidelity.

But as someone playing these games on PC, that's not my concern. It's Telltale's job to deliver a sufficiently good-looking, stable, performant product. And that's simply not what they're doing using this engine in 2015.

Harmen

This engine is terribad for todays standards. It looks decent for stuff like TWAU or TFTBL, as those art directions elevate the looks. For something like GoT, however, it looks like utter trash. And the animations are really, really bad. Even if the writing was ace, this engine detracts from the acting performances a lot. And I already thought the same for TWD, three years ago on last gen.

And it kind of makes me worried actually, I can't see this approach working well on the long term. Now that they have some neat ip's with good sales it should be the time to invest in new tech and impress people. Other devs in the same genre are going to run circles around them if they do not step up their game. Hell, even most modern games that barely rely on cutscenes/dialouge do it better techwise. It baffles me how shit this series looks given the source material's popularity, Telltale's recent success and modern gaming standards.

Let`s bet honest. Telltale is going to season 2 everything.

I wish, where is TWAU?

ElTorro

Oh, I'm sure the people playing this game on their phones aren't complaining about the visual fidelity.

But as someone playing these games on PC, that's not my concern. It's Telltale's job to deliver a sufficiently good-looking, stable, performant product. And that's simply not what they're doing using this engine in 2015.

The things you were complaining about (low-poly geometry, animations, etc.) have nothing to do with limitations in the engine. They are very likely the result of a conscious design decision to limit the complexity of assets, like models and animations, such that they can be run on mobile phones which couldn't handle higher-quality assets well. To achieve a different level of fidelity they would need to create a second different set of assets, including new models, new animations, etc. They would basically have to make a second game. Which would very likely be a stupid business decision.

Nice to hear that there is an unsatifying ending to Season 1, haen't even played the final episode yet, now I'm not sure I want to.

I am getting tired of games that leave cliffhangers for no good reason. Wolf Among Us at least felt like it had some closure to its main story. But I'm still waiting for Tales of Mokey Island Season 2, and it looks like I'll be waiting forever.

I also miss the days when telltale actually made adventure games. Now everything is walking dead style.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Nice to hear that there is an unsatifying ending to Season 1, haen't even played the final episode yet, now I'm not sure I want to.

I am getting tired of games that leave cliffhangers for no good reason. Wolf Among Us at least felt like it had some closure to its main story. But I'm still waiting for Tales of Mokey Island Season 2, and it looks like I'll be waiting forever.

I also miss the days when telltale actually made adventure games. Now everything is walking dead style.

i agree... i loved Tales from the Borderlands til about the last 5 seconds. considering we may never get a Season 2, it really stings.

i'm wary to play TWAU for the same reason, as i hear it has a cliff hanger as well (despite having read Fables and knowing where the story will go)

NoWayOut

I guess I'm one of the few who enjoyed S1 and I look forward to play S2. I agree TWAU remains TT best game so far and I would also like to see them making a S2 of that.

Top Bottom