• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tens-of-thousands of Puerto Ricans move to FL permanently making FL lean Democratic?

bachikarn

Still doesn’t make it a “democratic lean”

Like I said Trump won by 130,000, Rubio by over half a million, it is ridiculous to say that it makes the state lean blue.

You realize a Democrat lean state can still go Republican right? That's why they say 'lean' and not 'lock'

jfkgoblue

You realize a Democrat lean state can still go Republican right? That's why they say 'lean' and not 'lock'
Yeah like Michigan that was a democratic lean, but went red by .2% but Florida went to Trump by nearly a full point and Rubio won it going away. It is not going to be a democratic lean going forward.

Beartruck

While exciting, even if Florida went Dem last election Hillary would've still lost by 19 electoral college votes. This will help certainly though and make it harder for Trump next time around.

Yeah like Michigan that was a democratic lean, but went red by .2% but Florida went to Trump by nearly a full point and Rubio won it going away. It is not going to be a democratic lean going forward.
I wouldn't call it a "Dem Lean" but had those 80,000 some votes been there for Clinton last year, the state would be in the same universe as PA, MI and WI. Three eminently winnable states that together denied Clinton the win.

Also Wilson is talking about how that'll impact 2018 more than anything. If these Puerto Ricans get registered and vote next year, Democrats will probably hold the US Senate seat and flip the governor's seat.

While exciting, even if Florida went Dem last election Hillary would've still lost by 19 electoral college votes. This will help certainly though and make it harder for Trump next time around.
If you add Florida to the mix of those three Midwestern states I mentioned, Clinton would have only needed one of them as opposed to all three.

Here is my question because I did not do the research. If you live in a US territory then comes to the US, are you a citizen or do you have to become a citizen?

Wouldn't it be better to talk it about it if it really starts happening? Right now it's still a crisis and politics shouldn't be a factor.

But again, there will be political outcomes whether you want there to be or not. There's literally no harm in talking about them.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Republicans just approved 300 trillion to fix puerto rico's problems.

There's a ton of Puerto Ricans who have said they're leaving and never going back, even if everything is fixed up. This whole thing is Katrina 2.0, from the fumbled response to people moving away.

Kind of rubs me the wrong way that this senator is more concerned with the fact that Republicans will lose a significant hold on Florida politically because of this Hurricane vs well we should be doing something about our people to help. The reality is yes, in crisis, people will be able to open their eyes to who's real and who's fake but being more concerned that they won't vote your way? What does that really say about you tho? This is why the right wing is a joke.

Top Bottom