• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TERA |OT| F2P starting in February! Were you expecting a parade?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Yea, my subscription is messed up, and the support page is down it appears so I can't talk to anyone about it. Urge to kill is rising.

mileS

Might be an odd question but why do people care about achievements? Do you actually benefit from them somehow?

Its a fun thing to do on the side. Adds lots of life to the game when you look at all of them and pick out some ones you can work towards. There seems to be tons of titles to unlock from what I seen.

Last night I added 40 people from the guild to my friends list to unlock the "Friendly" title :)

Speaking of achievements.. there's a few strange ones in TERA. Join 10 guilds, become the leader of 10 guilds. Things like that. That to me isn't something you should be rewarded for, I don't know.

Wallach

Speaking of achievements.. there's a few strange ones in TERA. Join 10 guilds, become the leader of 10 guilds. Things like that. That to me isn't something you should be rewarded for, I don't know.

That does sound odd. Are you sure they aren't related to the political system?

Yea, I saw those last night, thought they were really strange. Leading 10 guilds doesn't really sound like an achievement you should be proud of.

mileS

That does sound odd. Are you sure they aren't related to the political system?

Not sure if there's a separate achievement tab for that or not. These are under the social achievements though. Where I found the friendly title and what not.

Yea, I saw those last night, thought they were really strange. Leading 10 guilds doesn't really sound like an achievement you should be proud of.

Yea I agree, but it unlocks a title so I bet people will be working towards it. I think it was "Born Leader" or something like that.

Wow the White Lion!!!!!

tera3.png

If you're getting a blank screen when entering the game, close the launcher and restart. Severs still down, of course, but at least they are visible again.

Arksy

Guys. Hey guys. I'm torn - archer and sorcerer - any quick pro's/cons? Are they even worthwhile?

Both are good for different reasons.

Sorcs have good damage and pretty much every spell of theirs is an AoE effect. Archers have really good single target damage but are lacking in the AoE department, they have AoE but only about 3 abilities. Sorc requires a bit more skill to play effectively because you have to be able to gauge ranges better as most of your spells have a defined 'hit' area. I.e magma bomb always hits within a range of 7-12 meters. Archers on the other hand are probably one of the easiest classes to play. Both are good for solo. I don't know about pvp but i hear Archers are tough as hell. At the end of the day Sorcs have a higher damage output in PVE and have better AoE but are far more difficult to play.

jiien

Don't worry, I ain't going anywhere without you :D

don't crash D;

I'm waiting for you too, Charles.

Guys. Hey guys. I'm torn - archer and sorcerer - any quick pro's/cons? Are they even worthwhile?

Compared to Sorc, Archer is equivalent or better at PVP, worse at PVE. Sorcs are considered one of the highest damaging classes in PVE content, and get incredible AoE potential. Archers are pretty good at soloing BAMs, but they tend to fall a shorter on the damage-done scale compared to Sorcs (in raids, that is). I would say mobility is about the same between the two. The biggest deal with Archers is the fact that to do the most damage, they must be within 6m of the target. That is really close. The Archer is far more a mid-range class than a typical Archer might be. It definitely takes some practice to do that.

Both classes are definitely worthwhile, and as with any class in this game, with skill, a 5 man run through a dungeon can be made of nearly any class combination. If I were you, I'd try both and see which play style you like more.

Also, go to the official forums and check out the guides for Archer/Sorc. Avoid looking at anything on the cesspool that is the official forum, but the guides might give you a good idea of what skills they get and sort of how they play.

Visceir

Sorcs are all about area damage, will be best damage dealers in the end and should find parties somewhat easily.

Archers have more focused damage. I've always had a soft spot for bow-classes but from everything I've seen and read they seem a tad underpowered. Will probably take more skill to play too, especially in pvp.

jiien

According to the server status page, all the non-PVP servers are up.

Edit: Except for the new one, Feral Valley. I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE EME

Another edit: Nope, they're all down again.

Einbroch

Banned
Hey guys, I never played a MMO before.

I was poking fun at the fact that they were telling people where to buy the game on Twitter because the store/servers are down.

But yeah I'm super pissed. I might flip a table. Maybe even a magazine rack, since they said Gamestop has it.

People always seem to forget that WoW literally didn't work for a week after launch.

And people that say this also forget that that was eight years ago. We're in 2012. The genre has matured. Infrastructures have changed. This stuff should be ironed out. I ain't mad, but that excuse is kinda a weak one.

Tendo

Both are good for different reasons.

Sorcs have good damage and pretty much every spell of theirs is an AoE effect. Archers have really good single target damage but are lacking in the AoE department, they have AoE but only about 3 abilities. Sorc requires a bit more skill to play effectively because you have to be able to gauge ranges better as most of your spells have a defined 'hit' area. I.e magma bomb always hits within a range of 7-12 meters. Archers on the other hand are probably one of the easiest classes to play. Both are good for solo. I don't know about pvp but i hear Archers are tough as hell. At the end of the day Sorcs have a higher damage output in PVE and have better AoE but are far more difficult to play.

I'm waiting for you too, Charles.

Compared to Sorc, Archer is equivalent or better at PVP, worse at PVE. Sorcs are considered one of the highest damaging classes in PVE content, and get incredible AoE potential. Archers are pretty good at soloing BAMs, but they tend to fall a shorter on the damage-done scale compared to Sorcs (in raids, that is). I would say mobility is about the same between the two. The biggest deal with Archers is the fact that to do the most damage, they must be within 6m of the target. That is really close. The Archer is far more a mid-range class than a typical Archer might be. It definitely takes some practice to do that.

Both classes are definitely worthwhile, and as with any class in this game, with skill, a 5 man run through a dungeon can be made of nearly any class combination. If I were you, I'd try both and see which play style you like more.

Also, go to the official forums and check out the guides for Archer/Sorc. Avoid looking at anything on the cesspool that is the official forum, but the guides might give you a good idea of what skills they get and sort of how they play.

Thanks! I'm going to make a panda sorc then. I don't really care for PVP and like doing group things so it seems sorc is the way to go!

Archer is like Berserker, a lot of charge moves. Has very little AoE until really late though a lot of attacks pierce straight ahead, like a Lancer.

Sorcerer has one charge move, but a lot of spells have minimum distance requirements and the more powerful ones are either really slow moving or have long cast times. Also the squishiest class in the game, since you wear cloth and have zero healing ability. Has a large number of different spells with different cooldowns, maximizing damage is about managing them.

Edit:
When fighting BAMs 10 to 12 meters out is the optimal range. You can stretch it a little, but that runs the risk of your heavy hitters being more likely to miss if the boss moves.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Some servers are up, including Dragonfall. VoT is still down though.

"This server is currently full. Please try a different server."

Da fuq you talkin' about Tera?

It does suck that these things happen but its part of the growing pains of a MMO. The market has mature but the problems are still there due to the nature of this business.

And people that say this also forget that that was eight years ago. We're in 2012. The genre has matured. Infrastructures have changed. This stuff should be ironed out. I ain't mad, but that excuse is kinda a weak one.

It was a weak excuse even in 2004. Mass-market AAA MMOs had already been on the market for 7 years at that point (beginning with Ultima Online's release in 1997).

NeOak

It was a weak excuse even in 2004. Mass-market AAA MMOs had already been on the market for 7 years at that point (beginning with Ultima Online's release in 1997).

Yes, because making an MMO is soooo easy.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
They have a point though.

Troubled release after troubled release, you'd think companies would start to notice a trend in MMO launches and take steps to make sure that their infrastructure are ready to handle what come may.

Because if there's one thing that's been proven time and time again, it's that there are always more players than you expect who will want to play your game.

They have a point though.

Troubled release after troubled release, you'd think companies would start to notice a trend in MMO launches and take steps to make sure that their infrastructure are ready to handle what come may.

Because if there's one thing that's been proven time and time again, it's that there are always more players than you expect who will want to play your game.

The problem is that a minimum of ~50% of players quit after the first free month. Investing in too much infrastructure now is always bad down the road. See TORtanic for further information.

Top Bottom