• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT3| 1.2 many things to dig...

Fox1304

Just a PSA to the 4 people who own a Vita and this game who haven't updated to the 1.2 patch yet:

It is corrupting saves. Mine is dead along with many other people from the forum. You may want to hold off on the update. I'm kinda pissed about it.

woo, thanks for that.
Haven't had time to download the update yet !

Grinchy

Banned
The framerate in the Vita version seems worse after the patch as well. What a shame.

The content looks awesome, at least. I really wish the PC version had native controller support.

Just checking, but is the new patch just corrupting old saves, or any saves? I was interested in buying this sometime, so I wanted to make sure it's stable, for a new user at least.

Grinchy

Banned
Just checking, but is the new patch just corrupting old saves, or any saves? I was interested in buying this sometime, so I wanted to make sure it's stable, for a new user at least.

It seems that for many people, old saves will not load from the updated version. As a new user, you're probably fine.

Skyzard

Banned
I only played a bit to make sure it was working but I felt framerate when going to new areas was better on Vita, my save loaded okay as well - I hadn't triggered hard mode (if that makes a difference).

Camjo-Z

I decided to grab this on Vita the other day since the patch came out, it seems pretty fun so far even if I still don't know quite what I'm doing. There is a weird bug where the game crashes on the title screen unless I turn on the Vita's Flight Mode, but I can turn it off once the game's started up and it works fine.

Grinchy

Banned
I only played a bit to make sure it was working but I felt framerate when going to new areas was better on Vita, my save loaded okay as well - I hadn't triggered hard mode (if that makes a difference).

Weird, then I wonder if the corrupted save is tied to hard mode. My world is in hard mode and the 1.2 version will not recognize it at all. Even if I try to download my save from the cloud through the game, it tells me there is no save on the cloud.

johngie

Neo Member
Fingers crossed for a new vita patch. I was just on the cusp of entering hard mode, and all of the new changes and additions sound awesome.

Grinchy

Banned
Fingers crossed for a new vita patch. I was just on the cusp of entering hard mode, and all of the new changes and additions sound awesome.

I ended up just putting my most important stuff into my character inventory and updating to 1.2. The character file transfers over just fine, it's only the world that has the issue. Plus, it seems like worlds that aren't in hard mode might carry over to the new version.

It's really weird starting a new normal world when you have things like a mythril drill and all the hard mode weapons and armor. It'll take no time at all to get back to hard mode.

johngie

Neo Member
I ended up just putting my most important stuff into my character inventory and updating to 1.2. The character file transfers over just fine, it's only the world that has the issue. Plus, it seems like worlds that aren't in hard mode might carry over to the new version.

It's really weird starting a new normal world when you have things like a mythril drill and all the hard mode weapons and armor. It'll take no time at all to get back to hard mode.

Thanks, that's a good idea. Will definitely look into that once I've platinumed Dead Nation.

Wow, 1.2 has all sorts of new goodies. I made it to Adminitaum armor and equipment before the update and couldn't figure out what to do next. The Twins would slaughter me even with that equipment but I couldn't find anything better than what I had. Now there's a lot of new stuff, but I'm not entirely sure how to proceed. I guess there's a whole bunch of Magic items now? Any swords or armor I should grind for?

Warning to PS3 users, there might be a glitch with your piggy bank and safe after this update. Maybe it's a random thing with my game but it's straight erasing items from those, even though my chests are fine. It's actually replacing the items with large amounts of random items. Got 160 Silver watches, and a thousand iron pickaxes, even though I only put in a mushroom and one vile powder.

Very weird, and it screwed me out of some items, but I'm selling those mofos now and making a killing. Turn one dirt block into a couple hundred pickaxes! Go back to the main menu and repeat.

$$$$$$$$$

Edit: The safe just seems to be deleting my items. Something must trigger it to put random items in, but I'm not sure what. The Piggy Bank looks like the items change depending on what you put in. Not sure if it's consistent or not though.

Grinchy

Banned
I haven't played a ton of it yet, but one of the best features in 1.2 is definitely the ability to run up the blocks. Traversal is so much less tedious now.

FinalD

Weird, then I wonder if the corrupted save is tied to hard mode. My world is in hard mode and the 1.2 version will not recognize it at all. Even if I try to download my save from the cloud through the game, it tells me there is no save on the cloud.

My world wasn't in hard mode yet, but I can't load it, so that's not it. I do see my world in the list though, it just shouts 'Load failed!' whenever I try to open it.

Abylim

Anyone able to get beetle husks on the console version? the guide at psntrophies is saying beetle armor is req for the plat, but it looks like a 1.2.3 only thing

Well, I finally decided to start a new world and to stop waiting on a patch to fix the world eff-ups from the update. Figure it'd be fun, starting over. Sure enough, it's not *that* bad getting close to back to where I was, since I started with a majority of my equipment. The hardest part is building up my stock of mats, but then again, all normal stuff is useless to me now. I can't break demon altars with my Pwnhammer, I'm guessing because I am on normal still...

But I have already found way cooler stuff, I have a pet, and I have more NPC's now than where I was 20+ hours in to my previous save that is now corrupt. Starting over might have been the best thing for me. Seriously. I've found 3 web slingers, killed the
Queen Bee and gotten that sweet (but not that useful) bee gun
, several types of magic wands I never had, and several guns I never had. I've been breezing though exp[loration, since I don't need many mats at all for now, and I even found some sort of
temple/pyramid of sorts, that I can't yet enter.
I am loving it more than I ever have.

Quick dungeon question though -
I have found many many fancy shmancy looking chests, do I need to make the keys for those? I have seen in the crafting menu where I can make keys, I just need to get those colored ball things that I can't remember the name to. Some sort of essence or some jazz
. All of these new recipes really jazzes me up for what I will build later on!

MegaGhost

Yeah I was kinda upset about having to start over but now I'm glad I did. I got a beam sword right after starting hardmode and during an eclipse I was lucky enough to get the broken hero sword, which i used to make the true night's edge. Now if only I could get some decent armor maybe I could beat skeletron prime on my own...

I'm stuck. I have the strongest weapons I can get (Adamantium sword/armor) and they still do jack against the twins. What am I supposed to do here? I have to beat them to unlock the next tier of materials, right?

So where can I find Chlorophyte? I feel like I searched every square inch of the Jungle but can't seem to find any. Is there a certain depth it normally appears at?

MegaGhost

I summoned them near my spawn point and kept dying over and over while dealing small amounts of damage to them. Even with the true night's edge I still struggled with them.

Well all of the mechanical bosses drop hallowed bars and essence, but that's about it for materials.

I've searched the jungle plenty and haven't found any chlorophyte either..

You play on ps3, right? I can help you out if you want.

I summoned them near my spawn point and kept dying over and over while dealing small amounts of damage to them. Even with the true night's edge I still struggled with them.

Well all of the mechanical bosses drop hallowed bars and essence, but that's about it for materials.

I've searched the jungle plenty and haven't found any chlorophyte either..

You play on ps3, right? I can help you out if you want.

Maybe soon. Right now I think I'm all burned out. My rotten flesh is disappearing from my inventory and the only way to craft these boss items is to use crimson items for some reason. Which doesn't exist in my world. Similar thing happened with the Spelunker potion with gold/platinum but at least that one doesn't steal my items. Whole thing is acting weird.

Retro

New update by the looks of it. 1.2.4 Patch Notes

Damn. TEdit still hasn't been updated to the last update, and there's no way I'm even looking at Terraria again without it. Starbound spoiled me and there's no way Terraria can catch up, so I'd much rather use an external program to build stuff and see the new features. That, or I need a way to generate materials in-game without having to install a shitload of mods.

Oh well, good that he hasn't abandoned the game (again).

Grinchy

Banned
Well, they really fucked this game up on Vita. It now won't even open for me. This is what I get every time I try:

2014-05-09-221652wvkqw.jpg

I tried turning it off all the way and that didn't help either. I've gotten this error the last 6 times I've tried opening the game. Luckily I have a save file from the non-1.2 version with my decked out character and world and I hadn't played much since the patch. So I don't mind starting over with my character....if the game ever works again.

edit- It seems like this error might be more of a general Vita issue but this is the only game that's having a problem.

MegaGhost

Maybe soon. Right now I think I'm all burned out. My rotten flesh is disappearing from my inventory and the only way to craft these boss items is to use crimson items for some reason. Which doesn't exist in my world. Similar thing happened with the Spelunker potion with gold/platinum but at least that one doesn't steal my items. Whole thing is acting weird.

Just let me know when you want to play, dude. I really don't see how it's possible to beat most of the hardmode bosses on solo. Skeletron prime is freakin' ridiculous.

Also, I can make most of the summoning items if you need 'em.

Grinchy

Banned
For those of you with corrupted worlds in 1.2 on the Vita version, there is a fix. As long as you have access to your save and the non-updated version of the game, you can do it. All you have to do is remove all the campfires from your world. That's it. Then save your file and update the game to 1.2.

Also, if anyone else is getting the Vita error c2-12828-1 for this game, it looks like turning off the wifi actually works.

Grinchy

Banned
My 2 favorite updates in 1.2 so far are being able to run up slopes and the bigger inventory space. I hated inventory management in this game before, but now I can just quick stack so many different things into a single chest. Plus my house is no longer filled to the brim with chests.

I feel like I'm gonna play the shit out of this game again now that I have my world back.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I've tried about 7 or 8 times to get into this game. I really want to but things keep coming up or I just get confused/lose interest.

Here's to lucky 9, wish me luck.

Polymath

Neo Member
Hello Terraria gaf!

I'd like to ask everyone one simple question.
If someone where to make a Terraria-like game, what would you want to see being added? Something that you wish Terraria had? Or perhaps something else that would make it an entirely new game worth buying?

I appreciate all input you guys have.

Thank you.

Retro

Hello Terraria gaf!

I'd like to ask everyone one simple question.
If someone where to make a Terraria-like game, what would you want to see being added? Something that you wish Terraria had? Or perhaps something else that would make it an entirely new game worth buying?

I appreciate all input you guys have.

Thank you.

The better question would be "What would you like to see in Starbound?" since apart from Signs, Slanted blocks and waterfalls, Starbound has or will have everything Terraria does plus a lot more.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Fortunately the PS3 patches didn't destroy any of my worlds. I've dove back in and am really enjoying the new additions and some of the bug fixes. Immediately upon launching after the patches I got the Back for Seconds trophy and I finally got the Hellevator one to trigger.

I almost wish this was paid DLC, because I'd be more than willing to give these guys more money for their work, especially if it helps work out even more bugs. For as many as have been fixed recently, more have popped up. Particularly annoying are the problems with no underground cabins and gold chests spawning whatsoever, which makes it difficult to acquire certain items. Various other little issues here and there too, like jungle spore not spawning at all, the piggy bank situation, etc.

I understand this is a crazy game with ungodly numbers of combinations of actions and whatnot. It's gotta be a serious pain in the ass to bug test, but I'd also happily give them a little something back for all these free 1.2 additions. I've put absurd numbers of hours into this game off and on over the last year and they've dragged me right back in with the new stuff.

Grinchy

Banned
^What really worries me after seeing how long it took for the 1.2 patch on the PSN version is the thought that all the new bugs won't be patched until it gets the 1.2.4 version comes (if it is even coming).

Grinchy

Banned
If there's anyone else who actually cares about the Vita version, this is what they've said about its patch:

We are waiting on final confirmation from Sony regarding the patch for PS Vita SCEA (Sony Computer Entertainment America). Fingers crossed, we should get confirmation from SCEA this morning followed shortly by a release date (maybe 24-48 hours after confirmation). We will let you know as soon as we know.

Grinchy

Banned
The Vita patch is out, and just like the PS3 version, some of the fixes require a new world :(

Problems like a lack of gold chests or the Underworld being filled with shadow chests aren't fixed in already-created worlds. The Life Fruit and Plantera Bulb issue is supposedly fixed in all worlds, but anecdotally, I couldn't find any Life Fruit in my 2nd world. Gonna start a new large world today and get it right into hardmode.

The Vita patch is out, and just like the PS3 version, some of the fixes require a new world :(

Problems like a lack of gold chests or the Underworld being filled with shadow chests aren't fixed in already-created worlds. The Life Fruit and Plantera Bulb issue is supposedly fixed in all worlds, but anecdotally, I couldn't find any Life Fruit in my 2nd world. Gonna start a new large world today and get it right into hardmode.
Luckily, I have not encountered this yet. But, I really haven't put a ton of time in to hardmode yet. This thread is likely to explode soonish, with the release of it for PS Plus users. So here's what I've been doing, and a little bit of advice seeking, but not much :p Once the patch effed my original world up, I created a new small world, but lost my motivation pretty quick. Last week or two, it all come flooding back, and I was just going everywhere. Found a ton of great stuff pre hardmode I never had before.

Once I finally made my platform to fight the Wall, and got all my potions needed for it, hellevators built, certain areas explored quite thoroughly, I made the switch. This is where I sort of stopped, before too, as I lost my motivation pretty early in to hardmode in my original world. Not this time. Been plowing through, got a decent weak starting armor set, Paladium, and working on a mithril set. Got my
Mace Windu
Purple Phasesaber in all it's awesomeness, Web Slinger, Sharanga Bow, and Paladium drill. Feel mostly ready for anything, and I have been runnung all over where I have previously uncovered, finding the rarer ores that are visible on the map. Now that I have a proper weapon, all I need is ironskin potions and I should be set for a bit. Really, I've been searching for bosses, and I think I found out where one is in the
corrupted snow areas. Saw something that resembled shadow orbs.
Taking down these early bosses will get me to Plantera at some point, which I need to kill so I can get in that stupid temple in the jungle thats been taunting me forever!!

A large portion of time in hardmode initially was spent just spreading the hallow as far as I could by removing the grass, and plating seeds, sometimes putting a tree on top of it. I need to start spreading some pearlstone goodness too...I love the hallow :D I also realllllly want to redesign my entire living situation for everyone, but that is quite the undertaking and I don't know that I am ready for yet :( Can any pros advise the best/easiest way of getting to the
robotic
bosses? I'd prefer more of a nudge in the direction, versus "go here, do this specific thing, and do this other specific thing that will cause it to spawn." please, if any one could. Many thanks :D

Grinchy

Banned
^I was in a similar situation when I first started up hardmode on my initial world. I had spent dozen of hours in it. I had searched all over the place and built a bunch of stuff and then I almost lost motivation when hardmode was too hard for my gear. But after plowing through it, the game isn't even fun unless it's in hardmode. With my gear now, I can dig to the bottom of a fresh world and kill the WoF without even building a platform. It takes like 10 minutes to start up a new hardmode world, which is awesome.

I also have to correct something from my post above. I looked everywhere for Life Fruit in my original world and couldn't find it, that was true. But that was because it just hadn't grown yet. The plants it comes from were in the world, they just hadn't bloomed. So the fix works for all worlds, it seems. For finding Plantera bulbs, you'll see bright pink squares all over the minimap in the Underground Jungle. A bloomed bulb will be a slightly muted, dimmer pink color. It's weird and it's hard as hell to see the difference.

As for the mechanical bosses, the best nudge I can give you in the right direction is to start with The Destroyer. It's the easiest one and it can really help boost your money/gear situation.

*snip*

As for the mechanical bosses, the best nudge I can give you in the right direction is to start with The Destroyer. It's the easiest one and it can really help boost your money/gear situation.

Snipped section - good call. And I am tempted to try the same thing actually, create a new small world, immediately go kill the WoF, mine minerals and see how that world is fleshed out. My bow isn't quite ready yet though, not without platforms, but it still shouldn't take too terribly long.

Other part - I will have to hunt that jerkface down. What I thought was a shadow sphere like object in the corrupted ice world turned out to be nothing, and I haven't found a single other one. During my excavating though, I did come across a Mechanical Eye, so at least the twins will die by my hand soonish. I'm afraid to fight them though, not sure I have good enough gear, especially my armor. That Paladium armor regenerates well enough, and I know the Ironskin pots can help, but I only have one eye....don't want to waste it...nor do I feel like using the Souls I've collected to forge another, should I fail.

I'll have plenty of free time in a few hours, I'll have something planned out by then. In the meantime, I've decided to use my free time at work to use excel to help design new living quarters for everyone. The "houses" (or castles, I should say) I have seen people create are awesome....makes me incredibly jealous.My current house is safe from invasions due to it being raised up well enough, but it's so borrrring looking.

Grinchy

Banned
I was making a tower on my new large world the other day and I didn't even think to raise it up to avoid invasions. I probably should have done that.

I also loaded up my PC version just to see where I was at with it. It's a save file with over 60 hours on it and the normal bosses aren't even all dead yet lol. I did so much exploring and building. It's so crazy to see this game at 1920x1200 resolution after playing on Vita for so long. The higher resolution and mouse/kb controls are huge advantages.

I was making a tower on my new large world the other day and I didn't even think to raise it up to avoid invasions. I probably should have done that.

I also loaded up my PC version just to see where I was at with it. It's a save file with over 60 hours on it and the normal bosses aren't even all dead yet lol. I did so much exploring and building. It's so crazy to see this game at 1920x1200 resolution after playing on Vita for so long. The higher resolution and mouse/kb controls are huge advantages.
Ha! Your 60 hour normal world sounds like my very first world, though I did kill all the bosses :p When that wouldn't load from the 1.2 update, I started what I am in now, and really, I couldn't be more thankful that I did. I am looking forward to the PS4 version, mainly with the hopes that we *might* get those higher resolutions. More viewing space defintiely helps out.

Regarding the raised home, that's something I learned from my first world. Get it high enough so the zombies can't jump up, and also put a single block on one side of the door so even if they do get up, they can't get in. But that means hiding in your home during those invasions, and that's boooring! Or y'know, if you have some crafting/organzing to do. I also made a small moat, about 4 blocks wide, with a very thin layer of lava, and made a tiny tunnel underneath. I like going there to "cool off" during invasions, as baddies will fall in the lava, eventually die, and their loot won't burn up in that thin layer. With me directly underneath the lava too, I would get the loot before it even touches the lava usually. You would just have to deal with those wraiths.

Going off what you said earlier, too, I couldn't agree more that hardmode really is the only way to play. Normal mode is lame. Hardmode has crazy hilarious enemies. Awesome bosses. Awesome colorful environments (I <3 the Hallow). And even awesomer loot/minerals to mine. Plus, it gets pretty darned challenging as well. As of now I am rocking the purple phasesaber still (will be for a while most likely), and now a set of Mythril armor. Works fairly ok. During my last session I finally got enough Adamantite to make the enhanced furnace, so I can start smelting those into bars now, opening up crafting even further. When I was mineral hunting, I found some decent consumables. I can now summon the 3 mechanical bosses, I have several summoning items for each. I tried fighting the twins....yea...reallllly didn't go well. My Sharanga Bow seemed about as effecting as using a Nerf Sword to take down a grizzly bear. So I'm on the hunt for something better now. I think I have the Minishark...I could potentially go Megashark route...

breakfuss

Loving this game. Seriously...addicted. Crazy because I didn't care too much for Minecraft.

Anyway, I've started building shelters and I'm wondering if it's best to build one major structure with rooms? I've actually built a sort of mini township of houses, lol, but now I'm thinking I may be going about it wrong.

Guessing most of you guys are on PC...I'm playing on vita/PS3. Considering buying the PC version since it's on sale at the moment though it seems kind of silly to do so. But I just love this game and the multiplayer is all but dead on PSN. :( Soo idk.

Retro

Guessing most of you guys are on PC...I'm playing on vita/PS3. Considering buying the PC version since it's on sale at the moment though it seems kind of silly to do so. But I just love this game and the multiplayer is all but dead on PSN. :( Soo idk.

The PC version gets updated faster (a third party, 505 games, handles the console ports) and has a pretty solid population. If it's on sale, I'd probably just get it.

Edit: Still on sale for $1.99. Worth it.

As to your building question, you can do pretty much whatever you want. As long as they have a door (or a drop-thru floor works), a chair, a table and light NPCs will move in. If you want to put them in a concrete egg crates or build individual houses for each one, it's up to you.

Loving this game. Seriously...addicted. Crazy because I didn't care too much for Minecraft.

Anyway, I've started building shelters and I'm wondering if it's best to build one major structure with rooms? I've actually built a sort of mini township of houses, lol, but now I'm thinking I may be going about it wrong.

I was introduced to terraria through the vita, an play on it exclusively. I love it, I can't see playing it on anything else. It's now pretty updated, and it has everything I want from te pc version. Mods are cool, but there is so much to this game, I would only use those once I got "finished" with about everything, and that wil take a looooooooong time with my current play schedule.

For the housing situation, I like having one giant house with rooms for everyone. Makes it easy to find npcs. Their rooms are tiny, they don't need space. Plus I like having a giant plce for everyone too. I've been meaning to build a really big castle, but I'm lazy. But it'd have rooms for everyone, separated chests for each types of items, normal rooms, and a bunch more. Best thing I can say is to have your house elevated. I have to rocket boot my way up to my house. It really helps with blood moons and other invasions. Doesn't alleviate the problem entirely, but same block placement on doors during those times will reduce a lot of potential headaches.

Celegus

I started playing on Vita too since it was free on PS+. It's pretty cool, but I despise the inventory system. It's awful. Let alone knowing which things are actually useful and what is okay to trash, trying to remember which things go in which chest in my house, and then scrolling through the crafting menu everytime I get something new to see if does anything. I feel like I spend 75% of my time just plopping through UI screens and then go digging for a bit but oh wait my bag is full again. There's potential there for a really neat game, but I don't know that I'll stick with it much longer sadly.

Top Bottom