• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria Sells Over 432,000 Copies In A Month, Minecraft Breaks 2.5 Million

Cygnus X-1

What the heck is happening to the industry nowadays? I would really like to read some review, because the overall picture is getting confusing.

Tadale said:
I've got a friend who has seriously put 90 hours into Terraria.

Is that a lot or a little? I mean, I guess I am ashamed to say this out loud, but I've put hundreds of hours (each) into various Pokémon games, TF2, SC2, and countless other games.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Soka said:
Is that a lot or a little? I mean, I guess I am ashamed to say this out loud, but I've put hundreds of hours (each) into various Pokémon games, TF2, SC2, and countless other games.
For most games that is a lot. Compared to Wow though its miniscule. i think i have almost 17462 hours of /played in Wow.

Soka said:

That's a lot for non-mmo. He's playing around 3 hours a day since it came out or maybe more if he got recently.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Stumpokapow said:
Also I don't imagine Notch is going to die in a hail of gunfire so that's another benefit of not being a professional drug baron.
Someone needs to make a slogan for the video game industry out of this

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I thought Valve developer agreements didn't allow devs to disclose their sales? Huh.

Good on them for all the success!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
chubigans said:
I thought Valve developer agreements didn't allow devs to disclose their sales? Huh.

Good on them for all the success!
Actually, Valve tells you the sales of your own game and then lets you announce them at will, but won't tell you the sales of anyone else's game on the service.

It's just that most companies don't like to announce sales of individual SKUs.

Himajin

Just goes to show how powerful word of mouth is these days.
I also love the diversification of genres that the new indie-friendly environment has brought about.

Philthy

This has been happening since around when Minecraft exploded, maybe before. But I think the gaming industry has sort of burnt itself out with big budget games with massive amounts of employees. While some of these games are really great, I think it mostly lost sight with too much glitz and not enough game play.

The first game that I saw that came out that really showed what a couple guys can do was Star Ruler. They pretty much saw the space 4x genre has stagnated, and saw potential of what something like Sins could do, but took that concept and added the 4x substance that Sins was lacking and offered one of the best (IMHO) 4x games out there right now. Two guys built what many could not.

We are now seeing this happening with Dungeons of Dredmor, where the roguelike genre has sort of done the same thing. While we've seen games like Diablo and Torchlight kick it in the balls, there was still room to carve out your own niche within the genre. Again, I think it was only a handful of guys doing this. While technically not on sale yet, I am pretty sure it will have great success on Steam when it is released shortly.

Everyone already knows about Minecraft and Terarria. Both amazing games.

PC gaming right now seems to be going through an indie gaming revival that reminds me a lot of the days back in the late 80s, where publishers signed on small groups of guys willing to take chances on new gameplay ideas. Stuff that Psygnosis brought out like Shadow of the Beast, Armageddon, Awesome, Killing Game Show. Stuff like Populous, and Lemmings. It seems a new twist on a genre was being born around every corner, and it's something we have rarely seen lately. Until now.

Orayn

Philthy said:
This has been happening since around when Minecraft exploded, maybe before. But I think the gaming industry has sort of burnt itself out with big budget games with massive amounts of employees. While some of these games are really great, I think it mostly lost sight with too much glitz and not enough game play.

The first game that I saw that came out that really showed what a couple guys can do was Star Ruler. They pretty much saw the space 4x genre has stagnated, and saw potential of what something like Sins could do, but took that concept and added the 4x substance that Sins was lacking and offered one of the best (IMHO) 4x games out there right now. Two guys built what many could not.

We are now seeing this happening with Dungeons of Dredmor, where the roguelike genre has sort of done the same thing. While we've seen games like Diablo and Torchlight kick it in the balls, there was still room to carve out your own niche within the genre. Again, I think it was only a handful of guys doing this. While technically not on sale yet, I am pretty sure it will have great success on Steam when it is released shortly.

Everyone already knows about Minecraft and Terarria. Both amazing games.

PC gaming right now seems to be going through an indie gaming revival that reminds me a lot of the days back in the late 80s, where publishers signed on small groups of guys willing to take chances on new gameplay ideas. Stuff that Psygnosis brought out like Shadow of the Beast, Armageddon, Awesome, Killing Game Show. Stuff like Populous, and Lemmings. It seems a new twist on a genre was being born around every corner, and it's something we have rarely seen lately. Until now.
What I love is that this could easily be the start of a new "Wild West" era for PC gaming. Consoles can diverge in whatever crazy online pass'd, DLC'd direction they want, but the content authoring tools and distribution methods on PC are only going to get cheaper and better. When you throw combined CPU/GPU setups into the mix, this can be nothing but good news. Time for a renaissance? I think so.

SmokyDave

Game is phenomenal and deserves all the success it gets. Minecraft looks awesome too, I'll eventually get around to that bad boy.

Tadale said:
I've got a friend who has seriously put 90 hours into Terraria.
I've put about 70 in and I've played it the least of all my friends.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Terraria and Minecraft both represent something that we haven't really seen ever attempted before in games, and I really hope that they influence many more games from here on out.

Angry Fork

mr2xxx said:
PC gaming is dead.
These quotes make no sense. I'm a PC gamer but just because a few indie titles are doing well doesn't mean PC gaming is 'fine' or thriving or whatever. It only means a lot of people like cheap games with great gameplay, nothing more. When PCs stop getting shitty ports, weak optimization, lack of features to their console counter parts, glitches etc. then i'll be willing to say PC gaming is fine but right now there's no way you could say that for a lot of multi-plats. And obviously PC exclusives are out of the question unless they're from those companies overseas that make games for cheap like Witcher 2.

The Foul said:
Lol even Tony Montanna wasn't making 3 mil/month & that shit looked well hard to do. Indie game dev is like a get-rich-quick scheme in comparison :p

It's not easy. If it were easy we'd be seeing a ton of minecraft clones around. it's insanely difficult and time consuming and even worse as an indie developer when your game that you've worked on for years is a huge flop. Notch and the guys who made Terraria spent a long time working hard to get the games to be good.

Saty

Angry Fork said:
These quotes make no sense. I'm a PC gamer but just because a few indie titles are doing well doesn't mean PC gaming is 'fine' or thriving or whatever. It only means a lot of people like cheap games with great gameplay, nothing more. When PCs stop getting shitty ports, weak optimization, lack of features to their console counter parts, glitches etc. then i'll be willing to say PC gaming is fine but right now there's no way you could say that for a lot of multi-plats. And obviously PC exclusives are out of the question unless they're from those companies overseas that make games for cheap like Witcher 2.
Most of these multi-plat titles still offer the best experience on PC even if they aren't perfectly tailored to the platform. Anyhow, that's the publisher responsibility, can't do anything if they remain oblivious. All this gen i read about console games missing expectations while PC games perform above theirs.
And what are you talking about exclusives? 2011 had and still has many.

Top Bottom