• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria Sells Over 432,000 Copies In A Month, Minecraft Breaks 2.5 Million

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Note: Since someone bumped this, I'd like to note this was prior to the Steam sale.

It seems small team indie games are doing exceptionally well these days. It also seems quite a few people like buying four packs.

TerrariaOnline said:
-By The Numbers- As of (06/16/2011)

Copies/4Packs Sold Total - 350,000+ (Copies Owned - 432,000+)
Days/Top Ten Sales List on Steam - 32 days
Days/Top Ten Played List on Steam - 32 days
Players Online at once - Peaks we have seen range from 14k to 32k a day.
Facebook Likes - 28,773
TerrariaOnline Members -
YouTube Trailer Views - (Old-Gameplay) 1,181,691, (Release Trailer) 866,285

We are very proud of these numbers and we would like to thank all of our fans and the community for the efforts they put in to spread the word of the game, and also contribute to it with suggestions and ideas.

We want to send a special shout out to the team at Valve who help us with out with the general advice they send our way. The way they treat others is a great tribute to gamers everywhere. With so many game companies focusing more on profit, its great to see a company focusing more on the gamer themselves. And their support of indie developers offers a great shining example to other studios. It's as if they are saying, "Don't lose site of why people play a game." And that is also our guideline here at Re-Logic, as gamers ourselves, we know what we want a game to be like.
Source: http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/one-month-a-milestone.30213/

Notch's Twitter said:
2.5 million sales! That's as much as Diablo 1 and FarCry, according to Wikipedia.
Source: https://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/80215303572815872

Mrbob

That's insane when you think about it with Terraria. Game would have charted in the top 10 NPD sales had it been included. Of course these are world wide sales so we don't have break down per region but it is still a big amount.

Now I see why the 4 packs are so popular on Steam.

Deadbeat

Banned
Word of mouth always does wonders. Demon Souls being the console counterpart to all this. Or maybe Joe Danger would be a better example.

Derrick01

Banned
Planning on buying Terraria but we're so close to the summer sale it'd be foolish to get it now.

You guys think there's a high chance this will go on sale due to the success?

The Foul

432,000 x 9.99 - valves cut = serious bank, maybe not Notch rich, but for a game created by two dudes in a few months that's not a bad effort. Very well deserved imo.

survivor

Banned
The Foul said:
432,000 x 9.99 - valves cut = serious bank, maybe not Notch rich, but for a game created by two dudes in a few months that's not a bad effort. Very well deserved imo.
If Valve has 30% cut, then the Terraria guys are probably looking at 3 millions revenue.

I still find it insane how Minecraft sold 2.5 millions.

Exuro

The Foul said:
4 pack would reduce that quite a bit as well.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Exuro said:
4 pack would reduce that quite a bit as well.
4 packs are $30, so that's still quite a bit.

We should actually be able to figure out how much they made though.

x + y = 350,000
x + 4*y = 432,000

Edit:

I'm getting 44,000 27,333 four packs and 306,000 322,667 individual copies.

Edit 2:

That'd mean:

(27,333 * $30 + 322,667 * $10) * 0.70 = $2,832,662

Edit 3:

Corrected math. Thank you survivor!

Atomski

Both are awesome. I really hope minecraft gets some serious updates though. Once I played Terraria I havent really felt the urge to go back. It feels so much more complete and fun.

InertiaXr

Nirolak said:

x + y = 350,000
x + 4*y = 432,000

Edit:

I'm getting 44,000 four packs and 306,000 individual copies.

Edit 2:

That'd mean:

(44,000 * $30 + 306,000 * $10) * 0.70 = $3,066,000

Quite impressive for two dudes working on this for just a couple months and releasing it with nearly no marketing. After whatever costs they had to get it on Steam I'm sure they are coming out of this with right around $3 million.

ROBOKITTYZILLA said:
When there are sales or promotions like this does Valve take the loss or the developer or do they both just take a hit in favor of promoting the game?

Both take a hit. The 70/30 split is applied to the price of the special promotion.

Rad-

Nice for Terraria. I hope he makes a controller version at some point. Game is fun and addictive but I'm not a fan of the control method.

survivor

Banned
Nirolak said:

x + y = 350,000
x + 4*y = 432,000

Edit:

I'm getting 44,000 four packs and 306,000 individual copies.

Edit 2:

That'd mean:

(44,000 * $30 + 306,000 * $10) * 0.70 = $3,066,000
Is y the number of four packs sold? I'm probably fucking up my math somewhere but I keep getting 27333 for it.

Ferrio

Banned
Hope devs are watching the success of these two and taking notes.

A MMO based on the same principles of freedom, creativity, and exploration that these showed would be excellent.

Soule

Good for Terraria, game runs shallow pretty fast but they're updating it pretty well. I can't wait to see how it unravels, there's soooooooo much potential for that game especially at the pace they update it.

The Foul

Nirolak said:
(27,333 * $30 + 322,667 * $10) * 0.70 = $2,832,662

Total success story. Make rad game with your mate / release it to glorious reception / make 3 million dollars in a month. I need to change careers.

mr2xxx said:
PC gaming is dead.

Does anybody have that PC Gaming is Dead chart? I need to save that one for the collection whenever I need a laugh.

As for Terraria, I plan on picking it up as soon as I have some free time. I was surprised to find a Terraria playthrough video on the top of the youtube charts one night, looked amazing.

Vinci

Danish
Still holding off buying Terraria at this point, but I'll get it eventually. Don't have time to play it sadly.

Interfectum

The Foul said:
Total success story. Make rad game with your mate / release it to glorious reception / make 3 million dollars in a month. I need to change careers.

I wouldn't quit your day job as it's a lot harder than it looks. :\

Orayn

Interfectum said:
It's got to be the right game, in the right place, at the right time. I can see more of these success stories cropping up as it gets easier and easier to develop and release small scale games.

Grinchy

Banned
Minecraft is the best game to come out during this "generation" so good for it!

Terraria is really fun as well. They only achieved this sales mark due to Minecraft's popularity, but that's ok. I think the 2 can coexist quite peacefully.

pr0cs

The Foul said:
Make rad game with your mate
yeah well, that's the hard part.
even Terraria is struggling under the weight of itself. the start and mid game is good but the end game is dull and it seems like it's a difficult balance to add content and make the game more difficult without breaking what is working for earlier in the game.

Either way Terraria is a good game, I've been playing it on a local server at home with my kid (6 years old). He's having fun building his house with materials and I come up from the depths to help him 'chop up the zombies' when it's nighttime.

The Foul

Interfectum said:

Lol even Tony Montanna wasn't making 3 mil/month & that shit looked well hard to do. Indie game dev is like a get-rich-quick scheme in comparison :p

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The Foul said:
Lol even Tony Montanna wasn't making 3 mil/month & that shit looked well hard to do. Indie game dev is like a get-rich-quick scheme in comparison :p

Also I don't imagine Notch is going to die in a hail of gunfire so that's another benefit of not being a professional drug baron.

Timber

Had such a headache yesterday because I played Terraria all evening. Great game. Hope the Minecraftlike keeps expanding; so many ways to go. This is the New Money.

InertiaXr

The Foul said:

This wasn't a month long cycle, it was a 5 month cycle from being started in January and released on May 16th, then selling through until yesterday, June 16th, which was why these first month figures were released.

Around $2.8 million for them in 6 months is still quite impressive, though.

Aquavelvaman said:
Is there a name for the Minecraft genre yet?
For an outsider like me they look like some kind of rpg/farm-festival.

I mean you go around farming minerals and stuff to improve your equip / "house" / items. That's the basic idea of a lot of mmo-rpg.

Anyway 2 great success story! Congratz. I plan to buy Terraria as soon as I've actually have time to play .

ToyBroker

Banned
Aquavelvaman said:
Is there a name for the Minecraft genre yet?

I've coined it BRPG. Building RPGs.

And props to Minecraft. I read all that hype about the game and thought it was unbelievably stupid. Finally ended up buying it on a whim....and I fucking love it.

ToyBroker

Banned
Atomski said:
If marketed right Minecraft will probably sell another couple mill on the 360.

Maybe...but it'll never be at the quality of the PC, or as fun. I can't imagine playing Minecraft without mods.

Grinchy

Banned
pr0cs said:
I've been playing it on a local server at home with my kid (6 years old). He's having fun building his house with materials and I come up from the depths to help him 'chop up the zombies' when it's nighttime.
That is one of the most strangely heart-warming things I've ever read :lol

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Stumpokapow said:
Also I don't imagine Notch is going to die in a hail of gunfire so that's another benefit of not being a professional drug baron.

we need notch as scarface gifs i leave this to you gaf

Top Bottom