• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tesla Model 3 - OT - The cheap one

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
This is what I'm wondering. Where are the impressions. I would think a few hundred have been sold by now. Not all of them are to employees are they?

They've delivered around 200 now according to people taking pictures of Model 3 VINs. There were thousands of reservations from employees, but the ramp sounds like it's about to start in earnest. Hopefully some regular customers begin to get their 3's in October.

It does seem like employees are under an NDA while they iron bugs out. Check out Motor Trend for their first impressions: http://www.motortrend.com/cars/tesla/model-3/2018/exclusive-tesla-model-3-first-drive-review/

I don't think Tesla cares about broadcasting positive feedback from employees because the backlog is still huge and they want to sell as many S and X as possible.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
There was never an NDA

Jason Calacanis tweeted there was a "FrienDA" or something like that. It was obvious Tesla asked people not to say much about the car since we heard almost nothing from the first 200 deliveries. The floodgates seem to have been opened this weekend, though.

In the first video, the guy mentions that the car will get wrapped. How essential is that? It would run about 2-4K here in Los Angeles. Does it really provide any decent protection?

The paint is astonishingly soft on Teslas. This apparently has to do with their factory being in Fremont and California regulations. I'm thinking of getting a hard coat done on my S. The mere act of washing my car, by hand, with a soft sponge and drying with a microfiber towel, has left me with many tiny scratches and swirls in the clear coat.

In the first video, the guy mentions that the car will get wrapped. How essential is that? It would run about 2-4K here in Los Angeles. Does it really provide any decent protection?

I’m planning on getting my 3 Opticoated. It’s a good balance between protection and cost. It hardens the paint and adds chemical and environmental protection. It’s basically permanent wax.

Struct09

Looks like they're a little behind schedule: http://ir.tesla.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=1042449

Q3 production totaled 25,336 vehicles, with 260 of them being Model 3. Model 3 production was less than anticipated due to production bottlenecks. Although the vast majority of manufacturing subsystems at both our California car plant and our Nevada Gigafactory are able to operate at high rate, a handful have taken longer to activate than expected.

It is important to emphasize that there are no fundamental issues with the Model 3 production or supply chain. We understand what needs to be fixed and we are confident of addressing the manufacturing bottleneck issues in the near-term.

Top Bottom