• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tesla Model 3 - OT - The cheap one

GTI Guy

tesla-model-3-interior.jpg

This might be "the cheap one", but that looks like they just slapped a tablet on the dash.

No controls for stuff on the steering wheel? Volume is pretty standard these days.

Drahcir

If I decide to just get the base model with minimal options to keep cost as low as I can initially, will I be able to upgrade it later if I want to?

It's cheaper. My electricity rate is about 11 cents per kwh and I charge my Fiat's 24kw battery about 20-22 kwh worth of power overnight once per week. My daily commute is about 14 miles, so the 88 mile-range EV is fine for what I need. Back when I drove a gasoline-powered car I would fill up on premium fuel about every three weeks. So three charges (about $7) versus $40 for gasoline is by far cheaper. On the downside, the higher price of the EV kind of puts a damper on any savings I would of received ($21k for the gas car, $34k for the Fiat).

I use the level 1 charger that came with the car, as the level 2 chargers are not what I would consider affordable ($400-$500 each). There's only been a couple of times in the past three years that I needed to locate a public network level 2 to make a fast charge, and only once have I been in a situation where I was really close to losing all power (my fault entirely). A free level 2 station at Kohl's saved me that day.

My dear has a model 3 deposit, but neither of us like its tablet dash that looks like it can detach if bumped the wrong way. He prefers the inlaid dash of his model S.

I have an electric Fiat too and in reality, my range is about 100 to 105 per charge, NOT 88. I don;t drive like a grandma either since I live in LA. You have to be a little aggressive here. My average MPGe is about 140 over 6000 miles which roughly translates to the battery range of 100 to 105 per complete charge.

Vuze

I have never driven a "tablet" car but I don't get why people feel offended by this. I'd be all in on the design if the tablet would be integrated more seamlessly.

That being said, I'm waiting for "Tesla Model 4 - OT - The cheaper one".

So the Model S is back at the top spot for Consumer Reports: https://techcrunch.com/2017/07/25/t...-reports-safety-rating-after-software-update/

Dang it... Very tempted!

Likewise. My wife and I are both driving Volvos that are over 10 years old, and neither of us commute 200 miles round trip sum total in a week.

My primary concern is snow. MA can get some pretty crappy weather, and the capability to drive in inclement conditions is necessary. Going to keep my eyes on this, but I'm very, very, interested.

subrock

If I decide to just get the base model with minimal options to keep cost as low as I can initially, will I be able to upgrade it later if I want to?

Some features you can unlock things later, others you cannot. Adding autopilot, and possibly upgrading battery capacity (on a few models) have been software locked on the Model S and X. Other options like stereo, wheels, roof type etc would obviously have to be the way you want them from the factory

My primary concern is snow. MA can get some pretty crappy weather, and the capability to drive in inclement conditions is necessary. Going to keep my eyes on this, but I'm very, very, interested.

The model S is the best selling EV in Norway, partially because of how well it handles snow. Instant torque combined with traction control means the car can react to slippage exactly when it needs to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ-3C772Fuc

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I have never driven a "tablet" car but I don't get why people feel offended by this. I'd be all in on the design if the tablet would be integrated more seamlessly.

That being said, I'm waiting for "Tesla Model 4 - OT - The cheaper one".

It feels unsafe to me. All this talk about people texting an being distracted by phones and they make the entire dash a giant iPad?

I hope all the primary controls are usable blind - anything that makes you look away for more than a second or two is not good

How much of a rebate can you get by buying one of these. If it brings the price down 27K-28K I might have to jump in. I'd save 10,000 over 5 years on gas alone. Almost seems like a no brainer.

GTI Guy

How much of a rebate can you get by buying one of these. If it brings the price down 27K-28K I might have to jump in. I'd save 10,000 over 5 years on gas alone. Almost seems like a no brainer.

Depends when you get the car...right now the maximum federal tax credit is $7500

GTI Guy

Can't wait! I'm within the first 50k preorders (according to that website bug long ago), but I'm also in canada and waiting for AWD.. So excited!

edit: here is a google image album with all model 3 photos so far.. here are a few of my favs that show off interior/charging

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=Q2xNd09Wam91b29IZVJNNDFBeFYyYktpcFJPbVln

Cool pics thanks for sharing. Lots of pictures show controls on the steering wheel, I guess the other picture in the thread was a prototype. So that's some good news I guess.

mcfrank

$7,500 federal, different amounts for state. CA for example is $2,500.

425kid

My main concern before ordering is when I finally get it the rebate is gone or greatly reduced. Model S is outside my budget.

Interior is very similar to model S in terms of seat and what not but that awful dash and screen set up ...which is pretty much the most important part of the interior imo.

$7,500 federal, different amounts for state. CA for example is $2,500.

It's $2500 but $4000 if you qualify for the lower income threshold. There are talks of removing that limit in the state legislature so that electric cars will match the price of a comparable gas car.

Makki

Are they really pushing through with requiring drivers to rubber neck to see how fast they are going? I keep expecting the car to have a projected simple HUD in front of the driver but Elon seems hell bent on making this car have an achiles heel to not undersell his more expensive models

I don't have a charging place at my apartment, but there is one at my work. That should be fine right? I could just charge it 2-3x a week while I am at work.

mcfrank

I don't have a charging place at my apartment, but there is one at my work. That should be fine right? I could just charge it 2-3x a week while I am at work.

How far is your commute, is the charging at work an actual car charger or is it just an electrical outlet?

One thing I liked about the model S was the lack of the center console. I know we Americans like our cup holders but I liked the extra space.
I was looking forward to the model 3 but I'll stick with an older model S.

h1nch

It's unreal how much the Model 3 runs circles around the Bolt in terms of design and aesthetics

I dig the interior. My concern about the big screen is how responsive it is. As awesome as the UI design is on the Model S touch screen, the time I used it it was choppy and sluggish and there's really no excuse for that in 2017. It should be as snappy and responsive as a new modern smartphone or tablet IMO.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Pre-ordered online 90 minutes after they went live. I'm holding out for AWD and the largest battery pack size. I'm willing to wait a bit. This'll be my family's long trip car.

This is why I didn't bite this time around. our typical road trip destinations tend to be in the 180-300 mile range (Oregon, Canada, Eastern Washington and more) and my fear is that even with the big battery, I don't have any contingency plans should I run dry, and I can only stay at places where I can feasibly charge when I get there.

ugh I guess it will not matter soon with self driving cars but fuck "touchscreen everything" user interfaces.

Yeah, Volvo has this and it looks gorgeous, but ergonomically (and in terms of safety) it's a disaster. I can engage every feature in my car with nary a glance, because the dash buttons are designed to reach everything through tactile shortcuts.

Cherubae

I have an electric Fiat too and in reality, my range is about 100 to 105 per charge, NOT 88. I don;t drive like a grandma either since I live in LA. You have to be a little aggressive here. My average MPGe is about 140 over 6000 miles which roughly translates to the battery range of 100 to 105 per complete charge.

Temperature. It's colder in Oregon. Sometimes in Winter I only get about 60 miles between charges, and I don't even use the heat (because it's stinky). According to my records, one week this last January I went 62 miles. Full charge at the start of the week, and 11% estimated left by the end of the week. The Fiat does not like snow! The stock tires are also terrible on rain. Next week will be better, as the weather is going to be in the 80s/low 90s. But the vehicle's distance varies greatly because of our seasons.

Yes, it gets the distance in CA, but my northern experience is not the same as yours ;) I am stuck driving like grandma because my 2-lane highway to work is so clogged that it's impossible to go even 45 mph.

My dear was talking about his model 3 reservation today. He's still lukewarm about the tablet dash.

The single screen in the middle is kind of fugly.

I don't think I will be able to afford a tesla until after my next car. Look forward to seeing it refined.

aeolustl

I predict by 2020 these will be more common than Honda Civics, in the Bay Area

Very possible. Model S is already everywhere at the South Bay. The only thing limits that is how likely for people to buy an electric car if they live in apartments or condo.

Although I saw people charge their electric car even living in condo (second floor) by dropping the cord outside their bedroom window. I also saw someone living on the ground floor at an apartment community charges their car through a surge protector extending from their home lol. It seems that there is nothing stopping them from buying an electric car even though it is very inconvenient

Top Bottom