• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tesla Model 3 - OT - The cheap one

Someone should tell Elon via tweet that what should have happened at the end of that was:

Elon gets back in the car he arrived in and the other 30 cars have their drivers get in, then they all drive off into the night with Elon's car leading them into the future.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Specs and full Pricing:

https://electrek.co/2017/07/29/tesla-model-3-production-specs-revealed/

I think it's too much for my taste, unfortunately.

OK so fully loaded we're looking at $57-$59.5k depending on paint color and whether you want the larger wheels. I imagine the AWD version will be a $3k-$4k premium above that.

I like that it comes with a number of adapters -- you'll be able to charge it at many different charging stations besides SuperChargers without any extra purchase.

subrock

Just did the currency calculation
Short range + self driving $43k USD -> $53.5k CAD. Gulp. Definitely second guessing my real unless the dollar changes significantly.

CFMOORE!

so $60k fully loaded. i suppose that's not too insane when you factor in state and federal tax credits, brings it down to $50k.

interesting to see they're producing the higher spec'ed battery cars first, makes sense since they bring in more immediate money and is probably only slightly more complex to manufacture.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Also, assuming this is like Model S and X, you can add the Autopilot and autonomous driving features at a later date (and usually at a higher price than if you order it with the car). They all come with the hardware. Software upgrades for those two items.

Go back to the stream -- they're going to show handovers to the new owners.

I think I'll spring for long range with premium package, 18" standard wheels, and eschew autopilot stuff.

I'm definitely getting that red paint! My estimated delivery is middle 2018, so hopefully I see some of the tax rebate.

dcUXtI9.jpg

f18l7O3.jpg

kKYLF8l.jpg

KKSnESJ.jpg

sGSszHL.jpg

CFMOORE!

I think I'll spring for long range with premium package, 18" standard wheels, and eschew autopilot stuff.

I'm definitely getting that red paint! My estimated delivery is middle 2018, so hopefully I see some of the tax rebate.

the model s even looks not its best when rocking 18'' wheels. spring for the 19s!

I honestly don't think a lot of people understand how the tax credit works.

Do people think that when you file at the end of year and owe less then $7500...you still get $7500?

If you only owe 3k/4K when filing your federal just goes to 0. You're not getting some extra money in your pocket from the government .

Draper

Do people think that when you file at the end of year and owe less then $7500...you still get $7500?

If you only owe 3k/4K when filing your federal just goes to 0. You're not getting some extra money in your pocket from the government .

Oh boy.

Hrm, those pics are with the premium upgrade package (wood interior), and therefore assuming that's a fully loaded car.

For that price, I don't see why it wouldn't be better to just get a Model S. That interior would be fine for a 30k, not a 60k car (yes, yes rebates and all, but those are ending very soon). Honestly though, that interior doesn't do much for me.

I'm pretty interested in seeing what other luxury car makers come out with in the next 1-2 years, especially Volvo. Jaguar's styling has been nice lately, and they're pushing electric hard too. I'm guessing a lot of them are doing reveals next year, and that's interesting since this car won't enter mass production until 2018 per Musk.

GTI Guy

I do not believe that this is true. I'll make up some numbers for discussion sake. If I make $100k and pay $20k in federal income taxes thru the year and end up owing let's say $500 when I do my taxes I will get a $7k check from the government.

That being said if I make $20k and pay $2k in taxes thru the year and owe nothing at tax time, I think you may only get $2k back and lose out on the $5.5k

I dunno, I feel like if you're actually going to trick out a 3, you might as well look into getting a new S 75. The price isn't really that much more and the S is pretty amazing. I can vouch for the winning Loveday video, I can fit as much stuff in the back of mine as I could in my Ford Explorer.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I do not believe that this is true. I'll make up some numbers for discussion sake. If I make $100k and pay $20k in federal income taxes thru the year and end up owing let's say $500 when I do my taxes I will get a $7k check from the government.

That being said if I make $20k and pay $2k in taxes thru the year and owe nothing at tax time, I think you may only get $2k back and lose out on the $5.5k

This is correct.

It's not like you're gonna get punished for having deductions subtracted from your paycheck throughout the year.

If, over the course of the year, pay the government $7,500 or more, total, you will effectively put the rebate back I. Your pocket.

As long as your tax liability is at least $7,500 you will get the full benefit of the credit. How much you had withheld from your paycheck or paid during the year doesn't matter

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
First car with DLC?

Out of my price range for the features I'd want. Maybe i'll wait for the next version.

So if I have the card in my wallet....do I need to take it out to unlock and open my door? Like..do I have to hold it up to something? If so, that sucks.

I think the expectation is you will use your phone to unlock the car exclusively. The key card is to give to the valet, or to keep on you in case you lose your phone.

I can say that I like walking up to my S and watching the door handles slide out. Sometimes I hand my fob to my curious friends and co-workers and tell them to approach the car. The handles sliding out as they walk up to it never fails to impress them for whatever reason. It's something that gives someone a good first impression of the S and I'm surprised it's being removed from the 3.

Yeah, and anyone who can afford this car is making enough money that they definitely will have paid more than $7,500 in taxes

mcfrank

I think the expectation is you will use your phone to unlock the car exclusively. The key card is to give to the valet, or to keep on you in case you lose your phone.

I can say that I like walking up to my S and watching the door handles slide out. Sometimes I hand my fob to my curious friends and co-workers and tell them to approach the car. The handles sliding out as they walk up to it never fails to impress them for whatever reason. It's something that gives someone a good first impression of the S and I'm surprised it's being removed from the 3.

Gotta cut 50k somewhere.

GTI Guy

Honestly that kinda sucks. I like that in current keyless cars I can have the fob in my pocket and I just touch the handle and it unlocks and I pull the door open. Now I have to pull out my phone, unlock it, go to the tesla app, find the option to unlock the car. Imagine if I'm in an area with no cell coverage...what happens? What if I am carrying something in my arms...busting out my phone is a pain. I guess the bonus is that if I forget my phone I can't easily get into my car so I won't leave home without it. What if my phone dies? Jeesh

subrock

So if I have the card in my wallet....do I need to take it out to unlock and open my door? Like..do I have to hold it up to something? If so, that sucks.
I don’t think you’d be using the card on a day to day basis, just your phone. The card can be swiped on the B-pillar to open the car. You also need phone entry when these start being ride sharing enabled.

Honestly that kinda sucks. I like that in current keyless cars I can have the fob in my pocket and I just touch the handle and it unlocks and I pull the door open. Now I have to pull out my phone, unlock it, go to the tesla app, find the option to unlock the car. Imagine if I'm in an area with no cell coverage...what happens? What if I am carrying something in my arms...busting out my phone is a pain. I guess the bonus is that if I forget my phone I can't easily get into my car so I won't leave home without it. What if my phone dies? Jeesh

I can't imagine that you will be unable to unlock your car if you don't have cell coverage on the 3 because there's no fob. On the S, you do need cell coverage or WiFi access on your phone AND on the car because the app talks to Tesla's servers which then talk to the car through the Internet. I really hope on the 3 they thought this through and let you connect your phone to car to unlock with Bluetooth, and that this feature will also carry over to the S via a software upgrade.

mcfrank

Model 3 Reservations FAQ

We are working hard to deliver Model 3 to reservation holders as soon as possible and will give you frequent updates on our progress to build and deliver your car.

Our production ramp will follow an S-Curve, meaning that it will begin slowly, grow exponentially, then start to trail off once we achieve full production. This is because we can only go as fast as our slowest supplier or production process (and the Model 3 has almost 10,000 unique parts). It’s difficult to predict which step this will be until we get further into the production ramp.

How will I receive an invitation to configure my Model 3?
We will send you an invitation to configure your Model 3 to the email address you used to place your reservation. Confirm your email address is up to date here. Invitations will be sent based on the date and time you placed your reservation, whether you are an employee, if you own a Tesla, and if we have started production in your country.

Which future options will be made available to order, and when?
We are planning to introduce the following options in the coming months:

Fall 2017: White interior option, standard configuration (non-Premium Upgrades)
November 2017: Standard Battery, $35,000 car
Spring 2018: Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive

Additional options will become available over time.

Will there still be a $35,000 Model 3 option?
Yes. Our first production Model 3 vehicles are preconfigured to ensure a smooth production ramp so that we can deliver more cars to more customers at a faster pace. The beginning configuration is a Long Range Battery with rear-wheel drive and premium upgrades, starting at $49,000. These vehicles come with three options for customization: wheel size, exterior color and Autopilot features.

Additional configurations, including the Model 3 with standard equipment for $35,000, will become available as production ramps, which we expect to be in November 2017.

We are shipping our first cars to employees now and expect to begin shipping the Long Range Battery configuration to customers in late October. The Standard Battery configuration will be available very soon thereafter.

Which features come standard with Model 3 for $35,000?
Model 3 is designed to be the safest car in its class, with 220 miles of range, and zero to 60 mph acceleration in 5.6 seconds. Standard features also include full self-driving hardware, Supercharging capability, a rear glass roof, a 15” touchscreen display, Wi-Fi and LTE internet connectivity, free over-the air software updates, full LED lighting, and an 8-year, 100,000 mile battery warranty.

GTI Guy

Model 3 Reservations FAQ

We are working hard to deliver Model 3 to reservation holders as soon as possible and will give you frequent updates on our progress to build and deliver your car.

Our production ramp will follow an S-Curve, meaning that it will begin slowly, grow exponentially, then start to trail off once we achieve full production. This is because we can only go as fast as our slowest supplier or production process (and the Model 3 has almost 10,000 unique parts). It’s difficult to predict which step this will be until we get further into the production ramp.

How will I receive an invitation to configure my Model 3?
We will send you an invitation to configure your Model 3 to the email address you used to place your reservation. Confirm your email address is up to date here. Invitations will be sent based on the date and time you placed your reservation, whether you are an employee, if you own a Tesla, and if we have started production in your country.

Which future options will be made available to order, and when?
We are planning to introduce the following options in the coming months:

Fall 2017: White interior option, standard configuration (non-Premium Upgrades)
November 2017: Standard Battery, $35,000 car
Spring 2018: Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive

Additional options will become available over time.

Will there still be a $35,000 Model 3 option?
Yes. Our first production Model 3 vehicles are preconfigured to ensure a smooth production ramp so that we can deliver more cars to more customers at a faster pace. The beginning configuration is a Long Range Battery with rear-wheel drive and premium upgrades, starting at $49,000. These vehicles come with three options for customization: wheel size, exterior color and Autopilot features.

Additional configurations, including the Model 3 with standard equipment for $35,000, will become available as production ramps, which we expect to be in November 2017.

We are shipping our first cars to employees now and expect to begin shipping the Long Range Battery configuration to customers in late October. The Standard Battery configuration will be available very soon thereafter.

Which features come standard with Model 3 for $35,000?
Model 3 is designed to be the safest car in its class, with 220 miles of range, and zero to 60 mph acceleration in 5.6 seconds. Standard features also include full self-driving hardware, Supercharging capability, a rear glass roof, a 15” touchscreen display, Wi-Fi and LTE internet connectivity, free over-the air software updates, full LED lighting, and an 8-year, 100,000 mile battery warranty.

How are you getting to the site? Everytime I try to go to tesla.com I get pushed to the Model 3 event video.

I'm amazed the weight of the 3 is only about 3,800 lbs. They managed to knock 2,000 lbs. off the weight of my S. Driving the 3 is probably pretty amazing in terms of how nimble the car feels and cornering is probably really good. My S is a pretty good dragster but once you stop going straight and start turning corners, you can really feel the 5,800 lb. weight of the car going into the curves. I'm not going to say I actually did try to bottom out the suspension in my S by going around a curve on a road marked 35 mph at 70, but let's just say that hearing a suspension go SPLUNCH isn't a pleasant sound and I don't really want to ever hear it again. On the up side, the electronic traction and stability control on Teslas is pretty damned amazing.

GTI Guy

I can't imagine that you will be unable to unlock your car if you don't have cell coverage on the 3 because there's no fob. On the S, you do need cell coverage or WiFi access on your phone AND on the car because the app talks to Tesla's servers which then talk to the car through the Internet. I really hope on the 3 they thought this through and let you connect your phone to car to unlock with Bluetooth, and that this feature will also carry over to the S via a software upgrade.

Looks like it is Bluetooth enabled and will unlock as you get close to the car. That solves most of my pissyness from earlier....carry on.

Doodis

Looks like it is Bluetooth enabled and will unlock as you get close to the car. That solves most of my pissyness from earlier....carry on.

Yeah, if this is true, it resolves my concerns as well. I can't afford to splurge for the longer range, and I may have to pick between autopilot and the premium features depending on my finances when it's time to order. Might just go with the premium upgrade since I can add autopilot/full self driving later.

Top Bottom