• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tess Munster, size-22 model who started #EffYourBeautyStandards, signs w/major agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

terrene

Banned
http://www.buzzfeed.com/rachelzarrell/the-biggest-plus-size-model-to-get-a-modeling-contract-has-s

Meet Tess Holliday, a size 22 model who is the first of her size and height to be signed to a major agency.

At 5-foot-5, Holliday, real name Tess Munster, doesn’t fit into the mold of traditional plus-size models, who might typically be a few inches taller and be between sizes 8 and 16.

“I think we’re the only agency with a model of her size. She is by far the largest model I have in the [Curves] division,” said Anna Shillinglaw, the owner and director of MiLk Model Management, the agency that signed Holliday after seeing her on Instagram, to the Daily News.

plus_size_tess_2_199t4qh-199t4qv.jpg

banner_4.jpg

model_128.jpg

model_102.jpeg

10843688_576832289113498_1872665557_n.jpg

Gray Matter

If I said what I really thought I might offend a lot of people and/or get banned, so I'll just keep it to myself.

Edit: her bicep could easily be 3x the size of my thighs.

terrene

Banned
The Onion - Report: Millions Of Courageous Americans Overcoming Media Pressure To Be Thin

“Given the media’s clear preference for thin physiques, we expected most Americans would be actively seeking to emulate such body types, but we found that nearly 7 in 10 American adults possess the inner courage and determination to overcome the constant pressure to maintain a trim figure,” said behavioral psychologist and the report’s co-author Olivia Trumbull, noting that these Americans boldly ignored, on average, 10 to 14 images of in-shape individuals every minute of the day. “This level of resolve is astonishing, considering that the media is saturated with models, actors, athletes, and pop stars who are no bigger than a women’s size 4 or a men’s large. However, if you look around any American town or city, you’ll find incredibly brave women who are size 18, size 20, even size 24, as well as brave men who routinely wear XXXL clothing. That’s a testament to American willpower.”

I don't think promoting a healthy body is something she should be battling as a "beauty standard" considering we have an obesity epidemic, heart disease is the number 1 health issue in America, and most people follow no such standard. But I do support her message of self-love because without that you're never going to get healthy in the first place.

Risible

This thread will end well.

It's been almost a full day since we had a thread where we make fun of fat people. I was worried we were going to miss our quota. Whew!

Hrm, conflicted. She's obviously well past the morbidly obese threshold, so this behaviour is up there with trying to be proud of, say, smoking.

Great tattoos, tho.

Jado

Banned
This isn't a good thing to brag about (except for marketing purposes). Broadcasting this type of image is just as bad as pushing forth rail-thin, anorexic models as a beauty standard. Equally unhealthy and damaging.

Windam

Scaley member
I'm all for thick girls being models.

But she is just not my type. A little to big.

A little? No way this is even a remotely healthy body weight. It's great (and frankly, amazing) that she got signed to an agency, but she will have to shed a few pounds for her health's sake. She can still be plus sized, but not... this plus sized.

Bob White

I actually like bigger chicks but...NO to those arms. That shits a turn off. It's like she just gave up and said "fuck it".

even though her weight is really unhealthy, she looks attractive.

one can only imagine how great she would look if she lost all that excess weight

Pluto

What is wrong with that industry, they get criticized for using skinny models who starve themselves to death and now they use a morbidly obese woman, neither should be celebrated, both extremes are dangerous.

This isn't a good thing to brag about (except for marketing purposes). Broadcasting this type of image is just as bad as pushing forth rail-thin, anorexic models as a beauty standard. Equally unhealthy and damaging.

I'd argue that this is even unhealthier than the massive majority of skinny models.

Snaku

Banned
Not going to assess her beauty, people prefer different things and all, but she just screams heart disease. Not exactly a positive message to be sending people.

Great face but definitely looks like she's at an unhealthy overall weight.

Maybe she's working to lose it and doing this in the meantime? Probably a good avenue if not.

terrisus

Not going to assess her beauty, people prefer different things and all, but she just screams heart disease. Not exactly a positive message to be sending people.

I hope you say the same thing to anyone smoking or pictures of people smoking.

You know America is rotten when not only is it not giving a shit about obesity being a serious health pandemic that needs to be addressed urgently, but is celebrating it as "beauty".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom