• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Texas cop fatally shoots 15-year-old boy outside party

Beefy

A 15-year-old boy has been shot dead by police as he and his friends were driving away from a party.

Jordan Edwards was hit by a bullet fired through a passenger window in Balch Springs, Texas, on Saturday night.

Police said they had been called following reports of drunken teens in the area and heard gunshots at around 11pm on Saturday.

Dallas News reported the vehicle had started driving towards officers in an ”aggressive manner" when the officers opened fire.

The stricken teen was rushed to hospital where he was later pronounced dead.

Another source with more info:

Balch Springs Police said they were called to a report of ”several underage kids walking around" in the 12300 block of Baron Drive about 11 p.m. Saturday, according to a press release. Police said the responding officers heard gunfire while looking for the teens and opened fire on the car Edwards was in after ”an unknown altercation."

The family's attorney, Lee Merritt, told the newspaper Jordan and his friends were not the teens police were looking for and hadn't been drinking. He said the other teens in the car are not facing charges.

”An unarmed 15 y/o child died after being shot in the head by Balch Springs PD. A cop shot multiple rounds into a car filled with teens," Merritt said on Facebook.

”Another family ripped apart by police brutality. There was absolutely no justification for this murder," Merritt said on Twitter. ”We demand justice!"

Suggest reading this article way lot of info on it:

More info:

Also, before anyone says, OH WE NEED TO KNOW MORE!
From WaPo https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-dallas:homepage/story&utm_term=.7c5f45b7aead

Jordan and the four teens with him had not been drinking, according to Merritt. They were not cited for underage drinking and have not been charged with any crimes, he said.

According to reporting from the NBC affiliate in Dallas, all Balch Springs squad cars have dash cameras and officers wear body cameras. Merritt said he was told there is body camera footage of the incident and that it has been turned over to the sheriff's office.

Requests for comment from The Washington Post were not immediately answered by Balch Springs police, including on what policies the department has on shooting into moving vehicles.

Many major law enforcement agencies, federal officials and policing experts advise against shooting into moving vehicles, according to a 2015 investigation by the Guardian. The risk of harming an innocent party is too great, the Guardian reported, and the shots don't often stop the vehicle.

They haven't been charged with shit, and what does it matter anyway, this kid wasn't driving and wasn't a threat. Fuck anyone that says we need anymore information than what we got. He's completely innocent and is now dead, that's all we need to know.

Pic of Jordan Edwards (spoilered but nothing nasty in it)

edwards1n-1-web.jpg

Not this shit again, more info I read the more I am thinking fuck the US police..

RIP Jordan

Update:

Update: https://twitter.com/BLBlackburn/status/859155838346330112

Bradley Blackburn‏ @BLBlackburn (reporter for local ABC station)

Stunning about face from Balch Springs Police Chief, no longer says car was moving aggressively. Moving away from officer when he shot.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
A cop in Texas shot at a car full of teenagers, killing a 15-year-old passenger while investigating a raucous house party near Dallas

what
what the fuck

While investigating the party, cops said they also heard gunfire before a vehicle began driving toward them in ”an aggressive manner."
Uh-hu

Wilsongt

So why did the cop shoot into the car?

And I guess inb4 media deconstruction of the victim's character as being no angel.

If this happened in the UK or Aus the policeman would have stepped out of the way, took the rego, and dealt with it later.

RIP, what a waste

Yah, I'll wait for more information before saying much. That article is pretty lax on actual details and seems primed just to spark some outrage and snag early clicks.

Enzom21

While investigating the party, cops said they also heard gunfire before a vehicle began driving toward them in ”an aggressive manner."
I guarantee this will be used as a justification for nothing happening to this cop... we all know shit won't happen.
---
not a lot of information in the OP but obviously a tragedy

What additional information are you looking for?

GHG

Yah, I'll wait for more information before saying much. That article is pretty lax on actual details and seems primed just to spark some outrage and snag early clicks.

Unless the 15 year old kid who lost his life posed a threat to other civilians in the vicinity then yes, it should spark outrage.

If this happened in the UK or Aus the policeman would have stepped out of the way, took the rego, and dealt with it later.

RIP, what a waste

If it was in France, the cops would have (somehow) shot the driver in the leg, removing his ability to drive the car.

Instead of murdering the passenger........

Brinbe

Sounds like some standard police-laden bullshit to me. RIP to that young kid. Fucking ridiculous. Dead for no good fucking reason. =(

And, of course, that pig will skate by with zero consequences for their actions.

Order

What more information do you need to decide that this 15 year old deserved to die

Enzom21

"Spark outrage" laughable. An unarmed 15 year was shot and killed, are you not outraged by that? If not, what would have to change about this story for you to be?

MKIL65

This is basically another way of saying ''I feared for my life!''

Because the excuse has been so redundant at this point, that they needed to mix it up.

See title.
Think: Bet it was a black child.
Check thread.
Yup.

Cop is a coward and hopefully justice will be served upon him. I'm not confident in that however.

Infinite

I get waiting for more info but the spark outrage part of your posts is tasteless and unnecessary. Grow up

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
I'm ready to rage out, but I'll wait a bit for more info. Was other folks in the car armed? Did cops pull guns on them, spooking the driver? Were there other citizens close by immediately in harm's way?

I feel I already know the answer, but I'll be patient.

...and after seeing the other article, I'm going into "fuck the police" mode.

Brinbe

Also, before anyone says, OH WE NEED TO KNOW MORE! Put this shit in the damn OP.
From WaPo https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-dallas:homepage/story&utm_term=.7c5f45b7aead

Jordan and the four teens with him had not been drinking, according to Merritt. They were not cited for underage drinking and have not been charged with any crimes, he said.

According to reporting from the NBC affiliate in Dallas, all Balch Springs squad cars have dash cameras and officers wear body cameras. Merritt said he was told there is body camera footage of the incident and that it has been turned over to the sheriff's office.

Requests for comment from The Washington Post were not immediately answered by Balch Springs police, including on what policies the department has on shooting into moving vehicles.

Many major law enforcement agencies, federal officials and policing experts advise against shooting into moving vehicles, according to a 2015 investigation by the Guardian. The risk of harming an innocent party is too great, the Guardian reported, and the shots don't often stop the vehicle.

They haven't been charged with shit, and what does it matter anyway, Jordan Edwards wasn't driving, was unarmed and wasn't a threat. Fuck anyone that says we need anymore information than what we got. He's completely innocent and is now dead, that's all we need to know.

Beefy

I'm ready to rage out, but I'll wait a bit for more info. Was other folks in the car armed? Did cops pull guns on them, spooking the driver? Were there other citizens close by immediately in harm's way?

I feel I already know the answer, but I'll be patient.

Read the heavy article, none are getting charged

Beefy

Also, before anyone says, OH WE NEED TO KNOW MORE! Put this shit in the damn OP.

They haven't been charged with shit, and what does it matter anyway, Jordan Edwards wasn't driving, was unarmed and wasn't a threat. Fuck anyone that says we need anymore information than what we got. He's completely innocent and is now dead, that's all we need to know.

Added to op man, cheers

Yeoman

"Spark outrage" laughable. An unarmed 15 year was shot and killed, are you not outraged by that? If not, what would have to change about this story for you to be?
Post history. All day, every day.
Says everything you need to know about who you're replying to.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Read the heavy article, none are getting charged

Yup, read the other article. The waiting period is now regarding how the police justify shooting into a car of unarmed teens.

And then how the cop will be charged with murder.

If I was this boy's father I would likely be going to prison for life or worse.

Sadly events like this making police scared to pull this shit seems like the only way for anything to potentially change or find even s fucked up version of justice.

So glad the cops in my state haven't gone beyond profiling level racism and haven't shot an an actively shooting civilian in like 3 years.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Smh. A kid dead over a drunken teens call? Come on now...

Top Bottom