• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Texas cop fatally shoots 15-year-old boy outside party

Squalor

Fifteen and black?

That's basically a professional wrestler with a pension to cops in Texas.
read this yesterday and again more info this morning. Absolutely unnecessary. The victim blaming has already started.
This is NeoGAF, after all.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
read this yesterday and again more info this morning. Absolutely unnecessary. The victim blaming has already started.

Yah, I'll wait for more information before saying much. That article is pretty lax on actual details and seems primed just to spark some outrage and snag early clicks.

Of course you would say something like that. Soulless monster.

OT: Piece of trash cop needs to thrown under the jail.

Takuan

Fucked up. Reads like they were literally trying to escape the situation in a panic, only to get shot at by the police. What the fuck was the cop thinking...

And I guess inb4 media deconstruction of the victim's character as being no angel.

giphy.gif

Jesus. Is it wrong that I have a sliver of hope that this cop will be fired and locked up for murder? He killed an innocent child for no reason.

RIP. Please let there be some justice for this kid and his family.

Dallas News reported the vehicle had started driving towards officers in an “aggressive manner” when the officers opened fire.

I'd love to see the officer actually describe that without sounding like a complete coward.

Was the car's engine revving up like it was out of some action movie from the fucking 90s?

What an absolute nightmare for his family and those kids who had to watch their friend die. That scumbag cop should be in a holding cell.

Pizza

Gg Texas wtf

Was the cop just standing in the middle of the street looking for teens to shoot? How does this even happen.

Why is your first instinct to blast them? If you take out the driver isn't that vehicle now a huge hazard with people trapped inside?

I mean not to mention he did nothing wrong. So a cop just felt like killing someone yesterday.

Yah, I'll wait for more information before saying much. That article is pretty lax on actual details and seems primed just to spark some outrage and snag early clicks.

Yes, outrage is certainly a foolish reaction to an innocent teenager being shot in the head by a policeman. Silly article is just getting people into a huff over nothing.

Caelus

Will the posters who make comments like these ever come back to these threads?

Nope. Just a shitty comment marking a tragic story like this as clickbait.

No need to give cops the benefit of the doubt.

Slayven

Police are no longer public servants, they are an occupying force trying to hold territory. Ever problem is a nail they must use their hammer on

There are people who will say "We need police or there will be anarchy", yet cops kill with impunity consistently

This cop probably won't even be given a slap on the wrist

neshcom

Banned
Of course he'll get off too. As long as he can say he was scared enough, anything he did can be justified.

Fucking disgraceful. A child's entire life was ripped away and his friends will surely be traumatized.

If this officer isn't stripped of his badge, which he won't be, then I'll be pissed. Already sickened with our police force.

Blah. Cut out my message. Just a bad way to start morning for me and I got pissy. Shouldn't get heated at you.

NR1

My parents lived in Balch Springs when I was born in 1985. It was a mainly white low/middle income suburb for young families back then. I now work in the area often and it is now 90% black/Hispanic and poverty ridden. I have been told by more that a few people not to go into that area of Dallas alone. It certainly is a "shady" area, but I have never encountered a dangerous situation while out there where I feared for my safety. Police activity is common though.

Interesting side note, I was told on 2 separate occasions by 2 different retired Mesquite police officers (the neighboring city to Balch Springs) that back in the good old days, they would pull over blacks in Mesquite on 635 after 8pm and write on top of the police report "DWB" (Driving While Black). The judge knew what this meant and acted "accordingly" with sentencing.

captive

i hope it comes out that he was shot in the back of the head, so at least the bullshit "they made an aggressive move towards a cop" bullshit can get shut down.

Also because idiots will start rolling in:

it doesnt matter if he was drinking
it doesnt matter if he was smoking weed
it doesnt matter if he was high on any other drug
it doesnt matter if he was arrested two years ago for some other bullshit
it doesnt matter if he ever got into a fight at school

none of that is ever relevant, or pertinent to getting shot by the police. so don't bother.

Christ I'm so tired of these stories and I'm tired of minorities being told they're getting "outraged" or "overreacting". I'm tired of even being sarcastic or facetious about this shit. We literally recently had it come out that the FBI needed to clandestinely investigate the infiltration of white supremacists in police across the country and I'm still expected to sit here and automatically give officers the benefit of the doubt. No it's crossed over now. Cops need and should have to prove that they were in the right. Thru have to convince me. That's the way it should be for the people who have the authority to kill. They have to make it crystal clear that they were in the right

I want to see the body cam footage...or the excuse they use this time for the body cam not working. Shooting blindly into a car of kids. What's shocking is how unshocking that sentence has become.

Peccavi

We would be putting officer lives at risk if they are not allowed to fire indiscriminately into cars. One of these boys could have been a bad guy with a gun, so better to let police shoot first.

Considering police weren't punished for shooting up a car that had two women they confused as a black guy driving a completely different car, I have trouble believing there will be any ramifications for this.

I honestly believe most people become cops because they know they can literally get away with murder

I'm sure cops celebrate these moments & brag about killing young unarmed black kids

Seriously, there's no doubt in my mind. This shit is a game to them

Cop hero worship fucking disgusts me because it allows them to get away with this constant bullshit; people are brainwashed by mass media at a young age to believe cops are "the good guys"

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Dallas News reported the vehicle had started driving towards officers in an “aggressive manner” when the officers opened fire.

SHOOT THE TIRES OUT

Yeah it's pretty clear why '77 Shortbox posted what they posted.
No outrage for this particular victim.

Are you... outraged?!

Disgusted, yes. Outraged? Nah, I don't have the energy for that anymore. I'd have to be surprised first. Plus I know it won't do any good, the blue wall and the police union will drag it out to make sure he gets a slap on the wrist. I'm just desensitized to it all now.

There's no justification for shooting an unarmed minor in the passenger seat of the car. Even if we're to believe the bullshit story that the group was drunk and driving "agressively", there is absolutely no way that shooting a 15 year old on the fucking passenger side makes any sense. I hope this monster sees the inside of a cell for a long time.

R.I.P. to the victim.

I pray that he and his family recieve the justice they deserve.

Dunlop

Man what the fuck. Why shoot into a car like that? I highly doubt the piece of shit cop's life was in any danger. Rest in peace.
Even if it was (it wasn't) what the fuck does killing the passager accomplish?

The shot was at the passager window, not the windshield.

RIP

proto

He said Jordan was leaving a party with his friends and were trying to escape from gunfire when the shooting occurred.

“They were simply leaving a party where they believed danger was,” Merritt told KTVT-TV.”So I can’t wrap my mind around why an officer decided to shoot into the car

So either this officer was a.) a closet racist, or b.) grossly inept. Probably both, I have no idea why people are so quick to jump on the blue lives matter bandwagon when it's so clear that it's cops fucking fault almost every time.

Police are no longer public servants, they are an occupying force trying to hold territory. Ever problem is a nail they must use their hammer on

Correct. Like the Wire said years ago, you keep calling and framing police work as a war, and soon enough every cop is running around acting like warriors and every citizen starts to look like your enemy.

Ithil

It's not right that I read "cop fatally shoots..." and assume they shot a black person.
It's even less right that my assumption is correct.

These seem to come in groups, so I'm saddened to see this and other similar events unfold in the upcoming weeks.

The police need to be retrained. But then again, the officers I know personally received the same training. It is a matter of heart and character. You can't train those things, per se

SHOOT THE TIRES OUT

If their story is to be believed that the car was heading at them in an aggressive manner, the absolute dumbest possible thing you could do in that situation is shoot a tire and make a car speeding at you move even more erratically and unpredictably. I want to see the cop's camera footage to see how much distance the car had to travel before possibly hitting him, because I'm guessing even if the story is true, the best course of action would have been to side-step the fuck outa the car's way, turn, record the license plate number, make an arrest later. Not shoot into a car full of kids...which actually is the dumbest, most vile thing he/she could have done.

captive

So either this officer was a.) a closet racist, or b.) grossly inept. Probably both, I have no idea why people are so quick to jump on the blue lives matter bandwagon when it's so clear that it's cops fucking fault almost every time.

because a vast majority of white people are taught from a very early age that:
Cops are to be trusted
Cops are here to help us if we need them
Cops an authority figure and thus you do what they say when they say (Read: if they say jump you say how high)

throw in a little black on the victim(everyone is at least a little racist), it happened at 11pm (nothing good ever happens after X time) and the no angel defense its all very effective for creating sympathy for cops.

Metroxed

Why is the police in the US so quick to pull the trigger as a response to practically anything?

I can [up to a certain degree] understand that if someone is straightforwardly attacking you and has a deadly weapon you may have to shoot, but it seems like shooting is the first and only plan American police has for dealing with any kind of problem.

Just a few weeks back someone under the influence of drugs attacked the police and then ran away in a car in the region where I live (southwestern Europe). No one was shot. His vehicle was taken out of the road without causing damages, he was pulled out, immobilised by the agents and taken into custody. No one died.

But apparently noisy teenagers warrants shooting to kill? I really don't get it.

Pizza

I know that not every cop is a racist fuck, so I'm surprised that the bad hombres in our police departments aren't kicked to the curb.

Being a cop should be a respected postition in the community. Yet, cops around the country are actively undermining that by being literal murderers and the rest of the police are just letting them get away with it.

We the people can't do jack shit because our institutions have loooooong since stopped working for us

SHOOT THE TIRES OUT
This is a terrible incident, I hope the shooter gets thrown in jail for murder/manslaughter for at least a decade and is never allowed back into a position where he can hurt someone.

That being said shooting out the tire of a moving vehicle doesn't work. Not only are most guns simply not a high enough caliber to cause the tire to deflate quickly enough where it would do any good but a car can drive well enough from a blown out tire that no one would be saved under such circumstances.

No shots should have been fired at all, police should have gotten out of the way, gotten a tag number and/or pursued the car. This is a case of a shitty cop being shitty cop and using a gun for no reason. It's seems to me this is not a question of where he was aiming but why he was even holding the gun in the first place.

Top Bottom