• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Texas teachers give ‘most likely to become a terrorist’ award to 13-year-old

So my high school did something similar. Not the terrorist, but the most likely to become homeless, mostly likely to be a trophy wife, etc.

We thought it was funny, but it was a small town and we all knew the teachers really well. *Shrug*

Terrorist sure is a weird one though. Don't see how anyone could think this is a good idea.

sirap

That's super fucked up.

Even more so considering they're children. An adult is better equipped to deal with dumbass moves like this, but this is the kind of shit that's burned permanently into a child's mind.

I know, I've experienced the same thing as a kid. Teachers should be the people children can look up to and depend on, not shitbags who find enjoyment in ruining your self-esteem.

GhaleonEB

There is no context in which this would be funny or appropriate, but it's even more mind-numbing that they did this despite regular, ongoing horrific acts of terror, and they gave this to an honors student.

They were already deep into "fire their dumb asses" territory, but I mean. Fucking hell. Can you imagine the humiliation at being handed that?

Ponn

Banned
I had maybe a couple teachers through school that had out there senses of humor. I usually enjoyed their classes because me and my friends shared that oddball humor. Those teachers were smart enough to know that humor wouldn't fly with everyone though and while we and sometimes my friend if we shared the class would have hilarious back and forths with those teachers they knew where to draw lines and that who they could joke with. I truly believe this was meant as a joke and not malicious. It was obviously meant as absurd humor like a roast but of things that would never happen. Where they failed horribly is thinking they could do it on a large scale like that. If one of previously mentioned teachers had given me an award like that I would have laughed it off or given them a similar absurd award. But that's me and certainly not true for everyone else and a teacher should be smart enough to know this.

We had awards like those back when I was in 7th grade, and I thought it was creepy when my male teachers gave my girlfriend at the time the "best legs" award. This is on a whole other level. How the fuck are they even still employed?

megalowho

The line about Lizeth not having been back to school yet because she feels uncomfortable is heartbreaking too. I'm sure junior high kids wouldn't be immature about an educator labeling her a future terrorist outside of the classroom, let alone having to face her hilarious teachers after she couldn't take their joke and got them in trouble.

So my high school did something similar. Not the terrorist, but the most likely to become homeless, mostly likely to be a trophy wife, etc.

We thought it was funny, but it was a small town and we all knew the teachers really well. *Shrug*

Terrorist sure is a weird one though. Don't see how anyone could think this is a good idea.

Whatever happened to those kids

We got joke awards too but along the lines of "Most Likely To Be Batman" or "Most Awesome Hair Style" and other silly stuff like that. The ones from the article just sound mean spirited.

She said two honors classes were brought together for the fake ceremony. Other awards included “most likely to cry for every little thing” that was given to a girl and “most likely to become homeless” that was presented to a boy.

Unbelievable. Who in their right mind even considers something like this? This is so far away from just "we were trying to be funny and miscalculated."

“I was upset and very mad when I saw the award,” Hernandez told The Washington Post. “I was surprised because my daughter has been doing well in the honors program.”

My favourite part of the whole thing. I know it's not what the mother meant but it's like she's saying the biggest reason not to call a kid a terrorist is their grades.

I have a very dark sense of humor. I love inappropriate humor. Even I could have told this teacher to check herself before she wrecked herself.

iammeiam

I truly believe this was meant as a joke and not malicious. It was obviously meant as absurd humor like a roast but of things that would never happen. Where they failed horribly is thinking they could do it on a large scale like that. If one of previously mentioned teachers had given me an award like that I would have laughed it off or given them a similar absurd award. But that's me and certainly not true for everyone else and a teacher should be smart enough to know this.

Roasting middle school students is questionable at best, but the awards they gave out are problematic because they seem calculated specifically to not be absurd. You give a girl with this girl's skin tone an award calling her a terrorist-in-the-making the day after
a terrorist attack in the environment of the US today, it's not absurdist. It's sanctioning the sort of shitty things kids with racist parents might say.

Seems to carry through for the others, too. "Most likely to cry over every little thing", awarded to a kid with a history of being emotional, is tacit approval of calling that kid a crybaby. These aren't benign jokes, they seem closer to picking at the vulnerabilities of kids.

These aren't harmless jokes, they're teachers giving bullies ammo.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
We got joke awards too but along the lines of "Most Likely To Be Batman" or "Most Awesome Hair Style" and other silly stuff like that. The ones from the article just sound mean spirited.

Yeah I think the most offensive joke award we had was something like "Most Likely to be a Beach Bum" which, in southern California, is more like a compliment.

RCSI

It's fine to have joke awards but oh my god how did these pieces of shit think this was in any way appropriate. Most likely to become homeless? Really? And who sanctions terrorism jokes post 9/11 in America at school.

While not awards, I have overheard teachers (no students around) that say, "They will end up in jail" or some variance of that line.

Hmm perhaps that most likely to become homeless award should have been reserved for these 3 idiot teachers.

I wonder why they thought this was a good idea? I have theories but I dont want to turn this into one of those political threads.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Oh god, of course it was near Houston. Cut to people I likely know on Facebook denouncing it as liberal snowflakes overreacting, safe spaces, etc.

Oh dear.

The day of Columbine, one our our teachers came up to me and my friends and jokingly said "I've got my eye on you" presumably because we were the only goth/kids into heavy metal in the school.

hbkdx12

DeVos is probably laughing her ass off somewhere while at the same time trying to figure out how to use this to aid her in defunding public schools.

JJH

Probably what the teachers see when they're on planes.

giphy.gif

Tagyhag

I could swear we had a thread about this kind of award or a teacher giving out another really stupid award last year.

How do people never learn?

Miles X

How tone fucking deaf do you have to be to do this. I swear some/all of these teachers may have degrees and what have you but zero common sense, thick as shit or cruely insensitive.

Top Bottom