• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Texas teachers give ‘most likely to become a terrorist’ award to 13-year-old

Verelios

Uh... I mean, if they did a bait and switch then this would be a non-story and just an insensitive joke. But they went full asshole...

DonShula

That's super fucked up.

Even more so considering they're children. An adult is better equipped to deal with dumbass moves like this, but this is the kind of shit that's burned permanently into a child's mind.

I know, I've experienced the same thing as a kid. Teachers should be the people children can look up to and depend on, not shitbags who find enjoyment in ruining your self-esteem.

And I know some adults who wouldn't be able to deal with this either - if this happened to adults in a workplace, you'd be looking at a HR nightmare.

I'm disappointed not one of the teachers had enough reservations to stop it from happening.

This sounds like an adult game a la cards against humanity, not something you do to a bunch of middle schoolers. Theh clearly did not think that through at all.

jmdajr

tenor.gif

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
these are the kinds of jokes you might expect a teacher to make behind a kid's back, you don't actually give them a certificate for it, morons

what is wrong with these people

like, who was this supposed to be funny to, other than the teachers? did they think even for a second about how the kids or their parents would take this?

When i graduated grade 8, my friend and I were tasked with coming up with mock jobs for people when they got older. So we did the usual jobs and such but a couple were just mean. The one girl had a visible mustache when she started to hit puberty and we said "most likely to work at Gilette", another we couldnt think of anything so we just said "most likely to end up on wellfare" not knowing her mom was on it at the time.

Luckily my teacher was smart enough to review everything before it was finalized, and called us in after class. To his credit he wasn't mad or yelling but the talk we had made us realize how hurtful something like that could be even if the intention was to be funny. He ended up coming up with jobs himself and they all went over great, but i still think about that sometimes (in my 30's now) and feel awful that I almost hurt people for no reason.

Mind boggling that a teacher could think this was ok at all.

Poppy

i know that they are humans just like everyone else but i always thought if i was to be a teacher then i would make damn well sure i would be a good influence and try to steer children towards becoming fully realized and better adults, like be the best i can possibly be and attempt to be kind and fun in a way that didnt make anyone feel marginalized

i mean nobodys perfect but come the fuck on, lady

Damaniel

Banned
The real problem here is that we're all a bunch of liberal snowflakes that just can't take a joke.
/s

Every teacher involved should be fired, and preferably should never be able to work in a classroom again.

Jag

Last week my 7th grade son told me that during lunch the vice principal in his school asked a kid who is confined to a wheelchair to go sit on the bench while the VP got into his wheelchair. Still sitting in the wheelchair, the VP told a special needs kid to race him while the kids watched. Some kids laughed, some were appalled.

I tried to wrap my head around this and thought maybe my son wasn't reading it right. But he was like, "Dad, the kids were laughing AT the special needs kid, not with him"

I've had meetings with this vice principal and he is a massive egotistical asshole and we ended up yelling at each other for other shit he's pulled. We are already pulling my kid out of the school, so I'm not surprised that he did this.

I dont know what goes through some people's minds sometime. How is it at all, in any way, a good idea to hand this sort of thing to a kid? Holy shit.

Uh... I mean, if they did a bait and switch then this would be a non-story and just an insensitive joke. But they went full asshole...
Yep.
And with all things these days, one must consider "how would this play out if it went viral?". And always assume when in public, you are being filmed.

"No dark sarcasm in the classroom" except for Texas, obviously.
Of course I bet most Republicans are okay with this, "hey, life's hard, if they can't take this how can they expect to get on in life", "it's just a joke, grow a spine" - hateful bunch of ideologically driven regressive turds.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
The territorist thing is too absurd to be mad about. The other awards listed are way way worse. Those are personal.

Budi

This seems to be very bad taste.

The territorist thing is too absurd to be mad about. The other awards listed are way way worse. Those are personal.

Oh it gets worse?

Reminds me of my teacher when I was in elementary school. I won a christmas ham on our christmas celebration raffle. I was a chubby kid, so when announcing my name to the audience that consisted every student and their parents "well this surely went to the right person!"

Parch

Who the hell could think this is a good idea. Just mean and ignorant :/
Some people think being a mean, ignorant asshole is funny. Really stupid people.
Their immediate response to criticism was probably... "What's the matter? Can't you take a joke?"

Reminds me of my teacher when I was in elementary school. I won a christmas ham on our christmas celebration raffle. I was a chubby kid, so when announcing my name to the audience that consisted every student and their parents "well this surely went to the right person!"
That is some mortifying shit. Was there any attempt by the teacher to backpedal that comment or were they just totally clueless?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Who could possibly think this is funny and/or a good idea? How fucking brain-dead are these people. Holy shit :|
We had awards like those back when I was in 7th grade, and I thought it was creepy when my male teachers gave my girlfriend at the time the "best legs" award. This is on a whole other level. How the fuck are they even still employed?
Jesus fucking christ that is beyond creepy

Top Bottom