• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TGS 2008 Official News Summary Thread

harSon

Banned
I guess the mega conference with major announcements is indeed dead, publishers and developers seem to be in favor of smaller self funded events that are compatible with their own schedules now. At least we still get some nice hands on impressions :)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Bizarro world... Nintendo announced the most games of any platform holder by far :/

TGS / October / Nintendo conference announcements:
Sony
2 PS3 games (Demon's Soul, Quantum Theory)
3 PSP game (Mainichi Isso PSP, Enkaku Sousa, Diamond and the Sound of a Gun Shot)
2 PSN games (Catan, Spelunker HD)
+ 3 other PSN games that may or may not be exclusive (Shadow Hunters, Owners Choice, Trick & Treat)

Microsoft
2 360 games (Halo 3 Recon, 99 Nights 2)
5 XBLA games (Space Invaders Extreme, Arkanoid Live, R-Type, KoF98, Metal Slug 7)

Nintendo
13 Wii games (Punch-Out, Sin & Punishment 2, Endless Ocean 2, Cosmic Walker, Dynamic Slash, Kensax, Line Attack Heroes, NHK Trivia, Spawn Smasher, Trace Memory, Wand of Magic, 100 Conversations! English Conversations)
7 DS games (3d Picross, Mario & Luigi 3, Fortune Telling Training, Friend Collection, Made in Me, Pedometer game, World Foods)

Taking out non-games, Nintendo loses 1 Wii game and 4 DS games and Sony loses their PSP game, and Nintendo still made substantially more announcements. Of course, Sony also loses a few games if you limit it to first-party stuff since Spelunker and Quantum Theory are both third-party published exclusives AFAICT.

To be fair to Sony, they have more of their 2009 lineup already announced so a lot of stuff was just recapped at TGS rather than newly announced, but it's pretty surprising that Nintendo actually announced more games this month than the other two platform holders.

Spiegel

You are forgetting the two psp adventure games from Sony (Enkaku Sousa and Diamond And The Sound of A Gun Shot)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Stumpokapow said:
Bizarro world... Nintendo announced the most games of any platform holder by far :/

Sony
1 PSP game (Mainichi Isso PSP)
+ 3 other PSN games that may or may not be exclusive (Shadow Hunters, Owners Choice, Trick & Treat)

Microsoft
5 XBLA games (Space Invaders Extreme, Arkanoid Live, R-Type, KoF98, Metal Slug 7)

Nintendo
13 Wii games (Punch-Out, Sin & Punishment 2, Endless Ocean 2, Cosmic Walker, Dynamic Slash, Kensax, Line Attack Heroes, NHK Trivia, Spawn Smasher, Trace Memory, Wand of Magic, 100 Conversations! English Conversations)
7 DS games (3d Picross, Mario & Luigi 3, Fortune Telling Training, Friend Collection, Made in Me, Pedometer game, World Foods)

Taking out non-games, Nintendo loses 1 Wii game and 4 DS games and Sony loses their PSP game, and Nintendo still made substantially more announcements. Of course, Sony also loses a few games if you limit it to first-party stuff since Spelunker and Quantum Theory are both third-party published exclusives AFAICT.

To be fair to Sony, they have more of their 2009 lineup already announced so a lot of stuff was just recapped at TGS rather than newly announced, but it's pretty surprising that Nintendo actually announced more games this month than the other two platform holders.

Good post. Also, if you include 3rd parties, Nintendo unveiled Samurai Warriors 3, Tales, Let's Tap, and Taiko.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Spiegel said:
You are forgetting the two psp adventure games from Sony (Enkaku Sousa and Diamond And The Sound of A Gun Shot)

I don't know why but I thought they were late summer Famitsu reveals. I'll add them in.

AlexM

Stumpokapow said:

Sony
3 PSP game (Mainichi Isso PSP, Enkaku Sousa, Diamond and the Sound of a Gun Shot)

Microsoft

Nintendo

weird, are the major announcements still yet to come though?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Stumpokapow said:

This. When you look at E3 and this combined and everything in between the three parties are actually probably even.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
andydumi said:
This. When you look at E3 and this combined and everything in between the three parties are actually probably even.

No, MS has by far the fewest 2009 announcements. Not that there's anything wrong with that because people were saying MS had nothing for 2008 at this point in 2007, but there's no denying that we know more about Sony and Nintendo in 2009 than MS.

traveler

Not Wario
Welp, Team ICO was the only thing I cared about seeing going in. Oh well. Guess RE5 gets to walk away with GOTS.

wsippel

Banned
schuelma said:
Good post. Also, if you include 3rd parties, Nintendo unveiled Samurai Warriors 3, Tales, Let's Tap, and Taiko.
And since we're counting XBLA/ PSN, Nintendo also announced more than 50 new WiiWare games at their conference.

Quazar

So what's the story on NNN2? Who's the developer? I read last night that it was Feel+ wtf? Any screens or trailers?

Nizz

Maybe I missed it, but didn't Ben Judd say Capcom had a "f'ing ace up its sleeve"? Did I miss something?....

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Prince of Persia Classic PSN confirmed

http://www.gamerbytes.com/2008/10/prince_of_persia_classic_confi.php

An little article about the PlayStation Network popped up on the UK PlayStation website today, with a nice little tidbit:

A classical Prince

A remake of the original 1989 action adventure that redefined the platform genre, Prince of Persia Classic hits PLAYSTATION Network, enhanced and updated for the High Definition era. Now you can rescue the Princess from the clutches of the evil Jaffar with new character designs, animations, controls, new content and three game modes, including the speed based Normal and Time Attack Modes, and Survival Mode which challenges the most skilled players to complete the game without dying.

Well that settles that then. This was the game that came out on the Xbox Live Arcade mid last year. Nice to see it come out just before the newest Prince of Persia title.

Oh my god, Prince of Persia, Trailer of the Show.

Really awesome trailers for other games: Resident Evil 5, Ryu ga Gotoku 3, Little King Story, Ushiro, Star Ocean 4, Ninokuni, Dragon Quest IX....

WTF moment goes to Nobi Nobi Boy

Omeyocan

Is there a way to download the second trailer of Resident Evil 5, the one shown at the Microsoft conference ? I would like to have it on my PS3.

Thanks.

wsippel

Banned
Judging by the list in the most recent Famitsu thread, there should be some announcements today? I think at least From and Acquire announced announcements that didn't happen yet...

Quazar

wsippel said:
Judging by the list in the most recent Famitsu thread, there should be some announcements today? I think at least From and Acquire announced announcements that didn't happen yet...

Haven't seen anything about any possible announcements today. Maybe someone can shed some info on what is happening today at TGS.

This is quite a composition of TGS info Duck, thanks again.

Flower just might be one of the most gorgeous things ive ever seen in my life. So much for debate of art/gaming...if it wasnt dead already with some of the things we have seen, this pretty much killed it.

Quazar

was looking over MS conference 1up live blog and the pic has N3 2 with Q and Feel+ as devs. So Feel+ should have two more projects in the works.

MoogPaul

schuelma said:

And lets no forget the very important No More Heroes 2 for the Wii

Tabris

So is that it for TGS? I haven't had time to keep up or read all the threads, or is this thread just outdated? If that's it for TGS, disappointment on all fronts.

Where's Home? New Mistwalker games? Team ICO game?
FFVII Remake?
etc?

Quazar

Tabris said:
So is that it for TGS? I haven't had time to keep up or read all the threads, or is this thread just outdated? If that's it for TGS, disappointment on all fronts.

FFVII Remake?
etc?

Yea, TGS kind of sucked. Some good content on already announced stuff though.

DrDogg

Whatever happened to the three Team Ninja games that were supposed to be announced? I figured Tecmo would hold a private after hours event like they did with DOA4 hands-on coverage at TGS 2005, but day 2 is over and done with and no news on the Team Ninja games.

I've seen all the new Tecmo games, but none of those are developed by Team Ninja. Even the DOA Online game (which is old) isn't developed by Team Ninja.

Raistlin

Tabris said:

FFVII Remake?
etc?

The only thing I know that's left is the Sony/Squeenix FFXIII presentation. It appears to be scheduled for ~45minutes. Everyone's hoping they're going to do a playthrough of the upcoming PS3 demo that comes with FFVII: Advent Children Complete.

Who knows though. They may show a trailer, ramble on, and then show a different trailer :\

sphinx

the piano man
it's not nice when the nintendo event back in october 2nd provided more joy to us gamers than all of TGS.... :-/ ..

basically just was tabris said...

sphinx said:
it's not nice when the nintendo event back in october 2nd provided more joy to us gamers than all of TGS.... :-/ ..

basically just was tabris said...

personally, the yakuza 3 presentation alone was better than the total accumulation of all other games shown

it surprised me so I am pleased enough

Meier

alr1ghtstart said:
2po1avq.gif
Holy shit, this is genius.

Soule

Well Oboro Muramasa and those incredible waves have left by far the biggest impression on me, haven't checked out all the vids though being capped n' all but goddamn those be some fine waves.

Top Bottom