• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thanks, 45. Rachel Maddow beats Fox News in ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.
8na3L4k.gif

All it took was electing a Russian stooge man-baby as President and O'Reilly taking himself out of the running. Megyn Kellys viewers didn't care she left and largely stayed with Carlson. Any win is a win I guess. I really felt taken advantage of during her nothingburger of a scoop on Trump's tax return. Other than that I think she's usually insightful.

Fox News normally ranks #1 among cable news channels. But lately MSNBC's Rachel Maddow has been challenging Fox at 9 p.m., the centerpiece of the prime time schedule.

"The Rachel Maddow Show" surpassed "Tucker Carlson Tonight" in March among 25- to 54-year-old viewers, the demographic that determines advertising rates.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/24/med...w-winning-ratings/index.html?iid=hp-stack-dom

mieumieu

So happy for her! I especially love the way she opens a big story with backgrounds and such, its less like a news opinion program but rather more educational.

Shes my waifu

Tobor

Did she ever respond to the criticism over the tax return nonsense? I would hope she learned a lesson there and won't do that again.

Voyr

Banned
Thats nice and all, but more liberals tuning in doesn't mean much if we dont also start watching the inside of a midterm voting booth.

Kayhan

I distinctly remember her saying it was impossible for Trump to win.

She is a talking head on TV and like all talking heads on TV she is just randomly guessing and sometime gets it right by accident and sometime gets it wrong.

Thats nice and all, but more liberals tuning in doesn't mean much if we dont also start watching the inside of a midterm voting booth.
Not to argue for complacency, but 2018 will likely be the mirror image of 2010/2014. The out party almost always makes major gains in the midterms.

The only recent exceptions to this are 1998 (Republicans lost House seats because they got way too ahead of themselves on the impeachment nonsense) and 2002 (Bush riding good will from 9/11 still).

The "Democrats don't vote in midterms" is based entirely on 2010 and 2014, and completely ignores 2006 which was a historically bad year for Republicans. Democrats don't vote in midterms when a Democrat is president. If Trump has a good 2018 then I'll adjust that thesis but for now it seems to hold.

"The Rachel Maddow Show" surpassed "Tucker Carlson Tonight" in March among 25- to 54-year-old viewers, the demographic that determines advertising rates.
Well, yeah, can't imagine too many Fox viewers are actually in this demographic given that O'Reilly's audience had a median age of 72.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

She is a talking head on TV and like all talking heads on TV she is just randomly guessing and sometime gets it right by accident and sometime gets it wrong.

What?

BigDug13

Well, yeah, can't imagine too many Fox viewers are actually in this demographic given that O'Reilly's audience had a median age of 72.

Is that age number right? If so, no wonder he was fired. I doubt there's a whole treasure trove of sponsors that cater to people that age and when you start losing some, you're pretty much toast.

Squire

Banned

Do you even watch the show? The appeal of KH is how painstakingly she explains things, which dies tend to included her thought process.

Kayhan

Do you even watch the show? The appeal of KH is how painstakingly she explains things, which dies tend to included her thought process.

Yeah I remember her painstakingly explaining it would be mathematically impossible for Trump to win. She really counted those numbers.

Did she ever respond to the criticism over the tax return nonsense? I would hope she learned a lesson there and won't do that again.

No and she won't.

Cable news is so bad that her D+ level reporting and punditry make her infallible to alot of her audience.

Its really not that different than people blindly defending someone like O'Reilly except its 99% less gross and 95% less stupid.

No and she won't.

Cable news is so bad that her D+ level reporting and punditry make her infallible to alot of her audience.

Its really not that different than people blindly defending someone like O'Reilly except its 99% less gross and 95% less stupid.

I don't really have anything to add here, I always just find it funny when someone tries to make a point then completely loses the plot and proves themselves wrong in the same sentence. That is all.

Gattsu25

Banned

From what I could tell, that criticism wasn't as universal as NeoGAF's political posters would make it seem.

Squire

Banned
Yeah I remember her painstakingly explaining it would be mathematically impossible for Trump to win. She really counted those numbers.

Was she the only person that was wrong? I don't really get the angle of your grudge. Plenty of conservatives didn't think Trump would win. What has happened defies all conventional wisdom prior.

Not saying any or all pundits are angels, but I'm also not terribly inclined to single out many of them. Not for getting Trhmp's victory wrong. I thought he'd lose myself and I didn't need any help from any pundit to get there.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
What's this tax stunt talk all about? She got a leaked version of Trump's taxes. She tweeted a fact: "I have Trump's taxes". She tweeted to be more specific, "I have Trump's 2005 taxes"

She presented said Taxes on her show with proper context. And also rightly noted that they very well could have been released by Trump himself. Trump leaking his own tax returns is news. She also made sure to mention that the 2005 Tax Returns meants jack shit. And we need to still get his recent taxes with full disclosures.

I learned more about taxes. I learned more about Trump's taxes. I learned more about Trump. I was reminded how ridiculous it is that Trump has not released his taxes.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I think a lot of the loud opposition figures on the right are starting to realize that Trump winning isn't going to be good for business. If Clinton had won they could've complained like they did with President Obama, and kept the gravy train rolling.

Squire

Banned
I think a lot of the loud opposition figures on the right are starting to realize that Trump winning isn't going to be good for business. If Clinton had won they could've complained like they did with President Obama, and kept the gravy train rolling.

He'll turn on them on a dime, too. They'll have no idea why or when.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
What's this tax stunt talk all about? She got a leaked version of Trump's taxes. She tweeted a fact: "I have Trump's taxes". She tweeted to be more specific, "I have Trump's 2005 taxes"

She presented said Taxes on her show with proper context. And also rightly noted that they very well could have been released by Trump himself. Trump leaking his own tax returns is news. She also made sure to mention that the 2005 Tax Returns meants jack shit. And we need to still get his recent taxes with full disclosures.

I learned more about taxes. I learned more about Trump's taxes. I learned more about Trump. I was reminded how ridiculous it is that Trump has not released his taxes.

Context? It was 30 mins conspiracy, 5 mins reviewing the first 2 pages of a tax return and another 10 mins talking to the guy that got the tax returns.

Gattsu25

Banned
Context? It was 30 mins conspiracy, 5 mins reviewing the first 2 pages of a tax return and another 10 mins talking to the guy that got the tax returns.

You mean 20 minutes (which is not unusual for her show's opening) of why we need to see more of his taxes. But conspiracy is an interesting word choice.

From what I could tell, that criticism wasn't as universal as NeoGAF's political posters would make it seem.

It was pretty bad and widespread. Made Pres. Trump look halfway decent too because of the narrative from the previous leak. I don't really see the point of the reveals from folks like Maddow unless people want to get together and change the law or come across something that's illegal.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Ohh yeah, fuck fox news

Schattenjäger;234652231 said:
She's every bit as bad as Hannity

lol wtf

Hannity straight up spreads fud and brainwashes people

LosDaddie

Banned
Among total viewers, Fox virtually always beats other cable news channels, because the channel's audience skews older than CNN and MSNBC's audience.

Carlson averages more than 3 million viewers a night.

I figured there was more to the story.

Gattsu25

Banned
It was pretty bad and widespread. Made Pres. Trump look halfway decent too because of the narrative from the previous leak. I don't really see the point of the reveals from folks like Maddow unless people want to get together and change the law or come across something that's illegal.

There was an outplayed fear that everyone was going to drop it after the episode and it was immediately obvious that wasn't the case.

Rachel Maddow framed the tax release as possibly a controlled leak, and people looking into it afterward identified 2005 as one of the best years for Trump's taxes to look legitimate (due to his wife's citizenship application) which further bolstered the idea that it could have been a controlled leak.

The potential loss in momentum that people hemmed and hawed about didn't come about. People were still marching on tax-day weekend to see Trump's taxes. People want to see where Trump's money comes from. People want to see just how much Trump twisted the tax code and its various loopholes in his favor. People still care.

But sure.

Trickster

Probably a good thing ultimately, anything that helps diminish Fox. But I'm not really the biggest fan of the format she has. She just spends way to long getting to the point most times, and she's often way to gleeful about things (I can understand why you would be whenever talking about Trump being a fuckup), just comes of as not very professional reporting to me.

Any news about beating Fox News is good news but meh, I think she is quite terrible. Lawrence O'Donnel isn't much better either with his calm overreactions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom