• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thanks gravitons, now we may have a multiverse to deal with

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burt

tumblr_n2iq10FcU01riu79ho1_500.jpg
Gimme dat multiverse TV

danwarb

We could never get to another universe, because every time one forms the rest of the multi-verse speeds away from it faster than the speed of light, and then faster still, forever. Eventually the galaxies in this universe will speed away from each other and disappear forever.

At least there might be universes and nothing forever, and all the way down.

I don't understand the infinite multiverse theory.

If there are an infinite number of universes, there are an infinite number of universes that are slightly like our own, where I for example misspelled the word 'infinite' once, with that being the only difference.

If this is correct, then that means that there must be universes in which people can travel to other universes, because infinite possibilities. This would mean though, that in a certain universe, someone has travelled through multiverse-space to our universe and publicly peed on President Obama. But this didn't happen. How couldn't it have in an infinite number of universes?

I think I can see where my reasoning is faulty, but to not break my head on this I would like you all to point it out.

The big problem when talking about an infinite number of universes is that you can only really work with everything as a set, because everything contains an infinite number of variations, which themselves contain an infinite number of variations and so on. A single universe is too insignificant on the scale to be properly considered. What you are describing wouldn't be 'our' universe, per se.

-First, it would be the infinite set of universes where the laws of physics are as we know them.
-It would then be the infinite set of universes within that where the earth forms exactly as it has, and life developed exactly as it has.
-Then it would be the infinite set of universes within that where everybody who has ever lived, and will ever live, are as they are in our universe; and everything that ever has happened is precisely the same. <- This can be seen in a 'branching' timeline, where everything up until a certain point is the same on each line, yet after that point there is a change.

----Here we move into a set of universes that we aren't in (which is why it could theoretically have happened, or happen, while we haven't experienced it, yet which follow all of the previous constraints (and certainly, many more) up until this point: Time wouldn't necessarily have to be at the same 'point' relative to every universe though, that could be variable----

-Then it would be the infinite set of univeres where someone has travelled through multiverse space.
Then it would be the infinite set of univeres where the someone who has travelled through multiverse space is from a universe given a certain criteria.
-Then it would be the infinite set of universes where the someone who has travelled through multiverse space has publically urinated on Obama.
-Then it would be the infinite set of universes where the someone who has travelled through multiverses space has publically urinated on Obama in a specific instance.

It really depends on what sort of limitations are imposed on the idea of a multiverse though as this is ignoring that not necessarily everything may be able to happen. This is how I view it anyway.

EDIT: To clarify, this isn't necessarily the type of multiverse in the opening post, it's merely a response to your question about why we may not ever observe an individual from another universe, if an infinite number of universe exists. An infinite number of universes would have a traveller, but at the same time, an infinite number of universes would not.

Something that may help is that not every infinite is the same size, some are bigger than others. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardinality_of_the_continuum

DarkKyo

My guess is they are referring to multiple universes which are all unique and existing as part of a system as compared to the more popular multiverse theory which is about alternate versions of our own universe.... right?

xsarien

daedsiluap
My guess is they are referring to multiple universes which are all unique and existing as part of a system as compared to the more popular multiverse theory which is about alternate versions of our own universe.... right?

Killjoy.
I bet you're real fun at parties. At least, in another universe. ;)

Trouble

Banned
Does that mean there's a universe where I'm Spider-Man?

That's not how it works. There can be an infinite number of universes, and yet no other universe where you even exist.

As John Green said, &#8220;Some infinities are bigger than other infinities.&#8221;

Exactly correct.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
all of the possibilities are endless. there's at least a hundred thousand like that, and they all branch off from another timeline where radioactive spiders were made. you might be a spiderman with forty breasts and twenty dogs growing off your shoulders. your aunt may might be a carrot. you might be in a asylum where you are under the delusion that you are spiderman. that's even assuming that it's branching off the stuff we already know from our universe; there might even be other timelines with stuff that's never been seen on earth; another template of a universe.

if there is a multiverse and it works based off time, there are hundreds of thousands of universes just like you describe.

Marvel extended universe is hard to keep track of.

But seriously - it's also possible that all of the multiverse instances rely on "normal" laws of physics and even with infinite universes, physically impossible things never happen.

I was pretty excited about this when I just heard it on the radio a few minutes ago. So awesome if it becomes scientific fact. I guess for now we'll just have to get our crowbars ready.

kick51

Banned
if I were the scientist to find a way to contact another universe of people, I'd send them a note and say "you guys seem cool, but we're not ready for this yet, maybe in a hundred years"

Set phasers to science, number one.

Makes me mad that we're not more focused on space travel in my lifetime. I want to see nations working together to build a space elevator, fusion power, and colonies on other planets.

GreekWolf

Wow, maybe Michael Crichton was right after all. There's no such thing as time travel, but a quantum computer might "fax" you into the multiverse, where you could experience Medieval England first hand.

Yeah, right... but wouldn't that be cool?

Wow, maybe Michael Crichton was right after all. There's no such thing as time travel, but a quantum computer might "fax" you into the multiverse, where you could experience Medieval England first hand.

Yeah, right... but wouldn't that be cool?
What Michael Crichton story is that?

rac

Banned
If our universe is constantly expanding what's stopping it from colliding with another universe?

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I don't like this multiverse stuff. The universe is so unfathomably big it makes me depressed just thinking about it and how insignificantly small we are in comparison. And now according to scientists the universe ain't shit. Well fuck you!

DarkKyo

I don't like this multiverse stuff. The universe is so unfathomably big it makes me depressed just thinking about it and how insignificantly small we are in comparison. And now according to scientists the universe ain't shit. Well fuck you!

little droplets of consciousness in the middle of a vacuum in the middle of a void in the middle of oblivion

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I guess reading that will be the closest I'll ever be to getting an answer.

There take on it is you either destroy the point of contact (which happens to be either their universe's earth or the alternate universe's earth) or both universes destroy each other.

From what I gather here the reason they don't collide is they move away from each other quicker than the expansion of each multiverse.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Now if we could move between multi-verses....wait that might be a terrible idea.
if it was possible an infinite amount of multiverses would have discovered how to do it and we'd have met the infinite careless versions of them.

So when are we going to discover an universe where spider people rule?

Or superheroes are the majority people and most importantly:

are we going to find a literal hell universe?

Zom

Banned
Exactly correct.

But being part of a system or not, if there's an infinite amount of universes in this system, the posibility that one of them is exactly the same has our own or slightly diferent, shares the same amount of posibility that every universe is different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom