• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thanks gravitons, now we may have a multiverse to deal with

Status
Not open for further replies.

MogCakes

Well, it seems one of my childhood fantasies has just come true. We are part of a multiverse including infinite universes and may yet be just one multiverse in a sea of infinite multiverses if the pattern repeats. Mind blown, I am giddy.

What if our dreams are the keys to the multiverse? You ever have a dream of a weird situation that felt real? What if that is you traveling through the mutliverse and living through that version of your life? Sometimes I feel like that happens, makes for a good movie/book.

What say you screenwriterGAF.

Bold One

What if our dreams are the keys to the multiverse? You ever have a dream of a weird situation that felt real? What if that is you traveling through the mutliverse and living through that version of your life? Sometimes I feel like that happens, makes for a good movie/book.

What say you screenwriterGAF.
It would be a great romance plot, falling for someone from another universe through your dreams.

Fusebox

Banned
Shouts out to all my infinite alternative timelines. I'm sure some of me are doing a lot better than me and the rest of me are probably doing a lot worse, am I right?

Moosichu

Shouts out to all my infinite alternative timelines. I'm sure some of me are doing a lot better than me and the rest of me are probably doing a lot worse, am I right?

Thats a different kind of multiverse. That could AlSO exist in addition to this one.

Kanyon

Gravitons? Oh shit, I'm watching Event Horizon and they talk about using gravitons to build the dimensional gateway... Now I'm scared!

liquidtmd

Banned
This would be such an amazing discovery if true. It could have all sorts of philosophical implications too. I fucking love science. Its such an intellectually stimulating time to be alive

I love Science - but there's a catch. Theoretical science and our understanding of it is continually in motion. Some people see science as 'fact' and belief systems (like Religion, not exclusively religion) as purely conjecture. However scientists from one hundred years, heck even 30 years ago, would have a fairly different viewpoint as to what is 'fact' to scientists of today in matters such as this - as scientists ultimately can only offer conjecture based on the facts presented to them based on the evidence of the day. Whether that's collected by technological methods or models grounded in observations. Even areas in science where there's unified agreement can change over time.

Don't get me wrong - I'm religion neutral and the pursuit of establishing a truth is paramount. Science is a great practice - It's just in some quarters some hold science as some holy, divine truth in itself when the reality is our understanding of it can change with a click of a finger or a simple discovery. In 200 years there may be the GAF members kicking back and mocking our view of science as being completely hillarious. And likewise 200 years after them, their counterparts doing the same. The comes to a point where some things come down to your individual belief system based on a combination of the facts at hand and also how your unique personality interprets them.

saunderez

Dammit, now I'm going to have to await the day an alternate version of me turns up to kill me. I hope Jason Statham is around to help me out.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Not sure what form the multiverse exists based on that. The mental picture I'm forming in my head is someone with a toy bubble pipe making a bunch of bubbles and our own universe is one of those bubbles in the mix?
The best way to think of it, I believe, is like homogeneous pockets of non-inflationary space separated by vast regions of eternally inflating space. These pockets would each consist of an individual observable universe. Normally, after the initial period of inflation, the universe will quickly transition into a "normal" state in which huge quantities of energy convert into matter and radiation. But if this transition doesn't end, if space continues to expand faster than new bubbles are created, then it will keep inflating for eternity. Sean Carroll explains this better than I can:

"Inflation was conceived in 1980 by MIT physicist Alan Guth to explain why the observable universe is so flat and smooth, with galaxies distributed evenly throughout space and with almost exactly the right amount of mass to balance out its expansion. The idea is that immediately after the Big Bang, the universe was trapped in a state called a false vacuum, in which empty space was filled with an incredible amount of energy. The false vacuum was unstable, like a radioactive atom waiting to decay. Eventually it broke down into the ordinary vacuum of space as we know it, releasing tremendous amounts of matter and radiation. In the process, an extremely small patch of space inflated to enormous size, evening out any irregularities and giving rise to the universe we see today.

But unlike a radioactive atom, which either decays or doesn’t, the false vacuum can decay in some places but not in others. That means there can be regions where inflation continues forever. Suppose a tiny inflating region grows to tremendous size, and 90 percent of it converts into matter and radiation. The remaining 10 percent then grows to an even bigger size; 90 percent of that decays, and the cycle repeats indefinitely. There are regions like our own, where inflation has long since ended, but also places where inflation is still going on, creating yet more regions, each forming a pocket universe.

That’s where the multiverse comes from. It is not that cosmologists are so fond of all those universes; it’s that we are fond of inflation, because inflation explains the observed properties of the cosmos with great precision. But many versions of inflation theory also predict an infinite number of universes, like it or not."

Essentially, every pocket universe would share the same fundamental laws, but each would exist in a different state, containing different particles with different masses and interactions.

sphinx

the piano man
I am more concerned now with the boundaries of this universe. More than looking for the other bubbles of the multiverse, as a scientist, my first priority would be to expand the observable universe somehow.

We really need to learn how to travel efficiently through spacetime because otherwise we are not going to find anything. It's too far away and any signals we get will just tell an interesing but painfully small part of a story. We need first hand information.

We need at least one human-made space station strategically placed in each supercluster to analyse the surroundings. We don't even need to send people there, we just need to be able to send stuff at a reasonable speed and have it not lose contact with us past certain point.

watching stuff that sent light 200 billion light years ago is nice and all but is soooo buried in a distant past, that we can't possibly tell what we have NOW in our universe. If we compared our universe today with the ridiculously un-updated, patched universe we think we have, I think we'd be pretty surprised.

My guess is they are referring to multiple universes which are all unique and existing as part of a system as compared to the more popular multiverse theory which is about alternate versions of our own universe.... right?

this nice science show explains why we'd very likely find identical copies of this universe and our world, if multiverse is real,

I have watched the whole show, I don't like the pseudo acting-performances but the material is entertaining.

here from zero, it's 53 minutes long

NOVA: The Fabric of Cosmos: Universe - Multiverse?

Nameless

So cool. When you consider the abundance & variation of everything in the cosmos, from planets to galaxies, why would universes themselves be different? Our universe could be as middling and nondescript as our sun and Milky Way. Imagine much bigger bangs, varying expansion rates, different laws of physics, more or less fundamental forces, fleeting moments of inflation where would be universes live and die in an instant. Endless chaos. Endless possibilities. Take me Multiverse.

And who knows, it could be a mere cog in an even larger and more complex system or structure.

I don't understand the infinite multiverse theory.

If there are an infinite number of universes, there are an infinite number of universes that are slightly like our own, where I for example misspelled the word 'infinite' once, with that being the only difference.

If this is correct, then that means that there must be universes in which people can travel to other universes, because infinite possibilities. This would mean though, that in a certain universe, someone has travelled through multiverse-space to our universe and publicly peed on President Obama. But this didn't happen. How couldn't it have in an infinite number of universes?

I think I can see where my reasoning is faulty, but to not break my head on this I would like you all to point it out.

There's a universe for every possible universe.

But the number of possible universes are not infinite, as a result of there being a finite amount of matter & energy in the universe, which can be reconfigured into a vast but still finite number of configurations. The reason there are so many possible, and thus actual universes, is because there's an element of chance on a quantum level. One elementary particle goes left instead of right as a result of random chance, but in another universe the elementary particle goes right.

Now repeat that for every single fundamental energy/matter unit, and you will get a phenomenal number of possibilities - including countless where you're a half-man-bear-pig-president.

At least, that's what I've gathered but I'm not a physicist.

Iph

Banned
Random thought: could these new universes (forming inside our own) be the source of "dark energy"? i.e the force that is making our own universe constantly expand?

I like this thought. I like reading about space, matter, physics and the cosmos, though I don't understand them deeply. This idea fits in nicely with what I do know. :3

There's a universe for every possible universe.
I'm reading this as universe existience and the internal physics of that universe are only possible given a set of starting conditions. The different, and finite number of, configurations with these starting conditions define the resulting universes. They are unique in their internal physics.
But the number of possible universes are not infinite, as a result of there being a finite amount of matter & energy in the universe, which can be reconfigured into a vast but still finite number of configurations. The reason there are so many possible, and thus actual universes, is because there's an element of chance on a quantum level. One elementary particle goes left instead of right as a result of random chance, but in another universe the elementary particle goes right.

Now repeat that for every single fundamental energy/matter unit, and you will get a phenomenal number of possibilities - including countless where you're a half-man-bear-pig-president.

At least, that's what I've gathered but I'm not a physicist.
I think the starting conditions for a universe are more along the lines of 'nothingness,' and from possibly this zero energy, quantum or sub-quantum particles are able to 'pop into existence' and initialize a Big Bang event. This leads to how energy functions in a specific universe and governs the internal physics of that manifestation. I don't know either and would like to see it flushed out a bit more by ParticlePhysicsGAF and the more learned affectionados than myself. Stupid Metaverse (union of all multiverses) is probably really boring and just a bunch of reruns [joke].

BowieZ

Banned
Déja-vus confirmed to be insights into another universe?
Nah, those are simply particles attached to time waves jumping out of order within the same universe -- so in effect we are sensing future memories beamed back into our current "present state" dimensional selves -- rather than into other universes.

DedValve

Banned
Just think, in another universe Mass Effect has a proper ending....or even real.

Breaking down the science of Tali's sweet will finally come in handy!

Seanspeed

Banned
I love Science - but there's a catch. Theoretical science and our understanding of it is continually in motion. Some people see science as 'fact' and belief systems (like Religion, not exclusively religion) as purely conjecture. However scientists from one hundred years, heck even 30 years ago, would have a fairly different viewpoint as to what is 'fact' to scientists of today in matters such as this - as scientists ultimately can only offer conjecture based on the facts presented to them based on the evidence of the day. Whether that's collected by technological methods or models grounded in observations. Even areas in science where there's unified agreement can change over time.

Don't get me wrong - I'm religion neutral and the pursuit of establishing a truth is paramount. Science is a great practice - It's just in some quarters some hold science as some holy, divine truth in itself when the reality is our understanding of it can change with a click of a finger or a simple discovery. In 200 years there may be the GAF members kicking back and mocking our view of science as being completely hillarious. And likewise 200 years after them, their counterparts doing the same. The comes to a point where some things come down to your individual belief system based on a combination of the facts at hand and also how your unique personality interprets them.
There's no catch. Science is awesome, no matter when in history its being practiced.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I always feel like talks about multiverse or many worlds or m theory are trying to pass themselves off as way more true than they warrant from our current understanding of physics.

HereticusAlpha

Neo Member
John Gribbon wrote a good book on this called In Search of the Multiverse which I'd recommend, but just pulling it from my shelf it turns out someone (Max Tegmark of the Universe of Philadelphia at the time, and looks like MIT now) did a calculation on assuming that space is infinite and uniformly filled with matter on average then your nearest twin would be living on a planet approximately 10 to the power of 10^29 metres away... the nearest exact copy of our universe would be 10 to the power of 10^115 metres away! Big numbers...

So as far as I can tell and based on what they're talking about here then what's being described in the OP is basically levels 1 + 2 from http://space.mit.edu/home/tegmark/crazy.html the traditional multiverse would be the level 3, and level 4 is just mind boggling!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I always feel like talks about multiverse or many worlds or m theory are trying to pass themselves off as way more true than they warrant from our current understanding of physics.
Pretty much.

John Gribbon wrote a good book on this called In Search of the Multiverse which I'd recommend, but just pulling it from my shelf it turns out someone (Max Tegmark of the Universe of Philadelphia at the time, and looks like MIT now) did a calculation on assuming that space is infinite and uniformly filled with matter on average then your nearest twin would be living on a planet approximately 10 to the power of 10^29 metres away... the nearest exact copy of our universe would be 10 to the power of 10^115 metres away! Big numbers...

So as far as I can tell and based on what they're talking about here then what's being described in the OP is basically levels 1 + 2 from http://space.mit.edu/home/tegmark/crazy.html the traditional multiverse would be the level 3, and level 4 is just mind boggling!
Max Tegmark's work is not well regarded by many.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

Oh that's the level 4 universe guy. I read a pretty disparaging review about his latest book that someone link to on gaf

320x240.jpg

Parallel Wesley NOOOOOOOOO!!!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Pretty much.

I fucking hate that. It's like the scientists themselves are trying to create brand awareness for their favored hypothesis and using stronger language about the veracity of their theories than they warrant to make them seem more proven and accepted than the reality dictates

Korten

Banned
Wait, so does this mean there is another universe in which DC made the Justice League movie first and Marvel is trying to play catch up?

HereticusAlpha

Neo Member

Hadn't actually read anything by the man himself just liked how it was presented with numbers in Gribbon's book. Have to admit though looking at his page his classifications did seem a bit over the top, but thought a direct link was more appropriate. In the book itself it's only a couple of pages on that and the rest is a generally good coverage of all the theories at the time, including the variants for what might cause inflation - even if they are largely just mathematical models at that point! It's interesting as it follows pretty much what you'd expect starting off pretty grounded and then ending up discussing the crazy possibilities like the possibilities of universes being simulations, which leads to there actually being selection pressure, as universes where intelligent life can arise can lead to further simulations so eventually the universes with intelligent life will out number the universes without.

Still the originally point on the distances is interesting even if only on a order of number indication.

all of the possibilities are endless. there's at least a hundred thousand like that, and they all branch off from another timeline where radioactive spiders were made. you might be a spiderman with forty breasts and twenty dogs growing off your shoulders. your aunt may might be a carrot. you might be in a asylum where you are under the delusion that you are spiderman. that's even assuming that it's branching off the stuff we already know from our universe; there might even be other timelines with stuff that's never been seen on earth; another template of a universe.

if there is a multiverse and it works based off time, there are hundreds of thousands of universes just like you describe.

Consider this: Is there a set of random occurrences that can allow someone to be spiderman in another universe? A set of random occurrences that can change physics laws and the way your life and history developed for you to be spiderman?

Just as the set of numbers is infinite but none of them can violate arithmetic properties, the multiverse possibilities can be infinite but they may be limited by a logical common ground.

So, there's a universe where the Dreamcast was a huge success and an alternate GAF where we're discussing sequilitis of Phantasy Star, Shenmue, Jet Grind Radio and Skies of Arcadia?

Fund this research!

Sometimes I start thinking about an ever expanding Universe and how that would make us to be becoming smaller and smaller relatively, and that breaks my brain, but this is just kind of terrifying.

If our universe is constantly expanding what's stopping it from colliding with another universe?
I believe universes are separated by what are called "branes" (like short for membranes). If two branes collide, there's the thought that this is what would create a Big Bang. Thus, it is possible the collision of two of these branes are what created this universe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom