• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

That PS4 ambient menu music is pretty annoying right?

ukas

I only use themes that have good background music because of this. Undertale, Journey, Knack II themes are great.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I have the Parappa the Rapper theme on my PS4 at all times, so I have awesome music :D

muteki

It is ok, but gets grating after a while. I tend to cycle through themes to keep it changing. Nier, Crash, P5, Project Diva all have good alternatives.

khaaan

First they took away the boot music/animations, then shop music, now the home screen ambiance? When will you monsters stop?

....I actually don't like the default one on PS4. All the Vita ones on the other hand are great.

emiliano

I hate it, but I never bothered with removing it because it's actually useful to instantly understand if I have the correct channel on the sound system on 😕

It’s creepy.

The key tones are fucking unbearable though. Like someone tapping on glass with a screwdriver. Why would anybody have those on? Oh right, because we don’t get the trophy notification sound without it.

The PS4 UI has been a steaming pile from Day 1

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I hate it, but I never bothered with removing it because it's actually useful to instantly understand if I have the correct channel on the sound system on 😕

I don't mind it, but am rarely sitting with it idle ever. But for the same reason as you, my system has constant HDMI handshake issues so having it on ensures I know things are good before I jump into a game or whatever.

emb

I think it's great.

But I rarely leave my PS4 at the menu unless I'm about to play it, so I never hear much of it. Hearing it usually reminds me of the feeling I get while trying to decide what to play, or the feeling of setting up PSVR, both of which are pleasant enough.

emiliano

I don't mind it, but am rarely sitting with it idle ever. But for the same reason as you, my system has constant HDMI handshake issues so having it on ensures I know things are good before I jump into a game or whatever.
I don't have handshake issues since I use an hdmi splitter to get a lagless RCA output from the console, but the display of the sound system is covered by other junk so... Anyway I can't resist it for more than 30 seconds, if I've not started to play yet by that time I just have to mute the damn thing.

I don't mind the default PS4 theme music and found it pretty unobtrusive but nowadays I like the summer-feeling on my PS4 thanks to Senran Kagura :p
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q31LVtx2YpI

Okay. Here’s a question for you guys. Not trying to pimp my own stuff here, so here’s a YouTube video (not a store link)

I wrote this song for Azure Earth Remastered:

https://youtu.be/IMR8FAmr-wA

After the initial 1 minute or so intro, the song proper kicks in. I set the loop point for the audio there, so it seamlessly picks up from there rather than replaying the intro segment. Do you guys prefer that? That’s how I’ve been approaching ambient audio moving forward.

Yes I like it that way, gorgeous song and great job like all of your themes! :D If you ever make a alternative version of that theme with a more "comic" like aesthetic like the Wii Weather Channel I would be all over it! :p

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I switched to the Persona 5 Joker theme many months ago and never looked back.

Falchion

I left my PS4 on the menu for a while the other night while I was on my computer and it was annoying the hell out of me. Never realized I could turn it off.

I don't even remember what it sounds like. Currently rocking the Everybody's Golf theme and looking to try out The Last of Us 2 theme when that drops soon.

Grab a theme of a game you love that has good music! Or turn it off. Either way, solutions galore!

Firewatch

Same.

See above. The Platinum theme is very disappointing compared to the Hunter's Dream theme from PSN.

Never knew the Hunter's Dream one existed. That's way better than the plat one.

I'll check out both. I love sampling themes. I know they have some Star Wars one but I don't remember if they played any Star Wars music. That's what makes the Bloodborne plat one so lame. Just changes the image but nothing else. I like more pop in my themes, especially if they are supposed to be Dynamic.

I actually like it. Especially when I go to my PS4's home screen after doing yoga. Laying still with that playing in the background is calming.

I use different themes a lot too though.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Does that new Last Of Us theme have good ambient music/noise for the UI? Was just toying with the PS4 settings a couple days ago debating to leave the default system music enabled or off lol

mhayes86

I kind of forget it even exists since I'm usually too busying booting a game or focusing on something else on the PS4. The PS4 UI annoys me more due to all of the bloat.

MadMod

The firewatch theme, has great ambient music. Defo recommend. Also the 20th anniversary one is pretty cool, where its the startup music of the PS1. Although it did get boring not too soon after.

Recall

Don't forget the specially branded Sony PlayStation underwear.

giphy.gif

BigEmil

Okay. Here’s a question for you guys. Not trying to pimp my own stuff here, so here’s a YouTube video (not a store link)

I wrote this song for Azure Earth Remastered:

https://youtu.be/IMR8FAmr-wA

After the initial 1 minute or so intro, the song proper kicks in. I set the loop point for the audio there, so it seamlessly picks up from there rather than replaying the intro segment. Do you guys prefer that? That’s how I’ve been approaching ambient audio moving forward.
This sounds great, kinda reminds me of the excellent Super metroid title screen theme

https://youtu.be/HPT8GBdRCWE

dub dub

Neo Member
In my head canon the Paper Sculpture theme is the official PS4 theme. I've had it on since launch and don't ever get tired of the music. I appreciated it a lot more back in the day when it offered respite from Outlast whenever I hit the home button. Why am I getting nostalgic about the early PS4 days?

poodaddy

I don't find it annoying because I cycle between the Transistor, FF IX, Witcher 3 DLC, Bloodborne, Shovelknight, Garou MotW, FFXV, and FFVII themes so I don't hear any bad music emanating from my console. Transistor is the goat theme by the way.

Top Bottom