• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2011 Spike VGAs: Dec 10th @ 7:30 PM EST, Streaming Online [Kojima: SO SORRY]

Xilium

The MTV awards, more than any of the aforementioned, reply on star power and beautiful charismatic faces. That format does not -- I repeat -- does NOT work with video games, it just shines a spotlight onto how niche the medium really is.
My point was that because the medium is so niche, we can't rely on the star power of the developers alone to bring in the advertising dollars (or viewers for that matter). That's why they are bringing in celebrities from outside of the gaming industry and modeling the show after the VMAs as well as drawing in GAFers and the like, who seem to feel offended by the shows existence, with world premiers.

zugzug

Zachary Levi can be shot and buried next to the ET Cartridges.

I LOL'ed seeing hit got a credit as a Consulting Producer and Host. I saw way to much of him to ever want to see again. Stiff and boring I found him to be. His suit jacket was just tailored in a funky manner it so did not look comfortable.

Mass Effect 3 oh how you looked so bad. what you showed would push me off Day One purchase. I get the feeling its a TwitchTV watch to get the storyline, instead of a buy.

LUVED! the Naughty Dog game but so did everyone else. :) Winner!

Scarecrow

I don't know if I can blame Keighley for much of that atrocity. I wouldn't be surprised if he was responsible for the majority of the good bits (Miyamoto/Zelda awards, Kojimas appearance etc.) while the Spike execs filled the rest of the show with feces. It's not like he's going to bad mouth his employers on twitter. I don't think any of the gaming journos could have had the power to make an awards show as they see fit.

BY2K

Membero Americo
2011-12-12-That%20time%20of%20the%20year.jpg

Should have made it sooner, though.

The show is surprisingly interesting if you fast forward through 90% of it and watch the previews.

Transformers reveal wins hands down.

The presenters all need to die in a fire...a really big fire.

Just saw it. Damn was it embarrassing. The irrelevant celebrities, an insultingly little amount of awards, the constant downright shameless marketing, and a general focus on the shallowest aspects of gaming.

And all the trailers were horrible cg/scripted cutscenes! And jeez, they really played up the violence in them, I think Spiderman was the only game they showed in which you were not killing people. I'm not at all squeamish to these things, but when all you're trailer consists of is a guy getting shot, thrown out of a window and then blown up in the middle of a crowded street it's just depraved idiocy on display..

Mooreberg

Reading the comments, I am glad I did not watch this. It does seem like the winners list was manipulated to get each GOTY nominee one award. If Arkham City is the best Xbox 360 game and a better Action/Adventure game (thereby also making it be the best PS3 game) it would be GOTY* under any logical circumstances.

*I'm taking it for granted that whatever the best PC game was wouldn't really get much consideration overall.

Top Bottom