• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2011 Spike VGAs: Dec 10th @ 7:30 PM EST, Streaming Online [Kojima: SO SORRY]

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Quick question, I've never seen the Oscars (not really into drama movies) but how long is the Oscars, are they 2 hours as well? Also, are the BAFTA awards on national TV?

BAFTAs were streamed this year. Can't remember if a TV channel picked it up, though.

The funniest BAFTA moment was Iain Lee calling out Konami for what they did to PES.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Do oscars also have pop artists perform and have ads throughout?

Usually pretty classy, but bordering on dry. No pop artists, just a bit of comedy in the opening monologue.

And all American shows have ads. Always have, always will. Every show on any network aside from premium movie channels.

Riposte

Nah, his strawman "you people all just want boring award shows that I hate" totally whiffs it, Alex hit the nail on the head.

There is a lot of middle ground, but I've seen posts which come to down to "Be like BAFTA" and "wear suits!". Boring stuff.

Doomshine

Nah, his strawman "you people all just want boring award shows that I hate" totally whiffs it, Alex hit the nail on the head.

Jeff, and the Giant Bomb guys in general, pretty much never side with people who complain about something anyway.

Just don't call it the Video Game Awards if you want to make the show this way, problem solved.

AAK

Usually pretty classy, but bordering on dry. No pop artists, just a bit of comedy in the opening monologue.

And all American shows have ads. Always have, always will. Every show on any network aside from premium movie channels.

No, but they do have shitty sketches and poorly written jokes in between.

The best part of the Oscars in recent years was Hugh Jackman's opening act in 2009. Genuinely funny and just amazing really. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Terhj8mjPwY

Interesting, the reason I ask is because is seems like the Spike VGA's just didn't have time for a lot of the things people expected since they had to distribute it throughout the ads, performances, and celebrity cameos. Maybe if they bumped it to 3 hours they could have allocated time for all the awards to receive everything on stage and have them do their talks and stuff.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Interesting, the reason I ask is because is seems like the Spike VGA's just didn't have time for a lot of the things people expected since they had to distribute it throughout the ads, performances, and celebrity cameos. Maybe if they bumped it to 3 hours they could have allocated time for all the awards to receive everything on stage and have them do their talks and stuff.

I seriously don't think it was an issue with time. They had plenty of time to fit in acceptance speeches and other worthy content, they just chose to do "other things". The show has always been hard to watch, but in the past it actually did feature more developer screentime than this year.

yurinka

The show was an improvement to previous years, in almost every way, but they need to get rid of these non gaming celebrites, like singers or guys from tv shows.

At least, if they include some of them, please make sure to include some related to the world of videogames or at least interested on it. I mean, it's weird to see Hulk Hogan there, but at least he appeared in a lot of popular videogames so he deserves to be there. Unlike the Jonas Brothers guy, to name one. Or others who even never played a game.

The host did a great job.

They also have to continue removing the annoying ads that are repeated again and again. At least now didn't reached the "powered by Mountain Pew Award" of previous years.

And if they aim to get a worldwide interest like the Oscars, please try to avoid the "join the army" stuff, it's embarassing for a lot of non-US people.

P.S.: Please don't invent awards for people who gave you an exclusive for a CG intro. And please don't include in the Hall of Fame an IP (even if I love it) who didn't the cut for any major award, because it's mean for people. Things like that are embarassing.

AAK

I felt the intro was pretty good where the host travels through different game universes, followed by the portal entrance.

Noshino

I don't understand how Geoff Keighley got where he is. How? Can someone give me a history lesson? The guy seems like the most anti-genuine gamer. Why can't a Brian Crecente or Garnett Lee be where Geoff is?

Geoff is actually a pretty good writer, and he can sell news like no other. Unfortunately it seems that he is putting more focus on his "salesman" skills rather than on actually producing great video game related content.

Oh, and Crecente has no charisma, his writing isnt good, and his website is just down right atrocious.

As for Garnett, isn't he like one of the biggest xbox fanboys out there?

Yes, the guy from Kotaku. I enjoy his writing and perspective as a family man on the industry.

As for Geoff, if his writing is so good, why is his on camera personality so atrocious? When I saw him on the VGA Bonus Round episodes I couldn't help but think "oh this is the PR shill they hired to market every game". Definitely would not think he's a hardcore games journalist and he definitely doesn't come across as genuine. I do remember him pushing Reggie on the wiiU but even that seemed a bit forced.

You are complaining about Geoff's "camera personality" yet bring up Crecente as a substitute?...

Crecente doesn't come off as neither charismatic, a journalist, nor genuine. Specially after the whole CAG prank thing. Guy is such a hack.

ElRenoRaven

So reading the thread all the way through I have to ask. Did they really make it that much worse then past years? I really thought they couldn't but reading the thread it makes it sound like they did. So glad I didn't watch.

Ryaaan14

Banned
So reading the thread all the way through I have to ask. Did they really make it that much worse then past years? I really thought they couldn't but reading the thread it makes it sound like they did. So glad I didn't watch.

It's been blown out of proportions for the most part, but I will say that aside from having a much better host this year, the show almost seemed to parody itself.

There is a lot of middle ground, but I've seen posts which come to down to "Be like BAFTA" and "wear suits!". Boring stuff.

BAFTAs aren't boring. Regardless of whatever medium they're awarding, they produce shows that are watchable, entertaining and respectful.

Best part of the near self-parody:

Well meaning but boilerplate "people online are sexist racist jerks!" rant, followed up by sexist jokes, sexist commercials, sexist hosts, and parading out that particular YouTube commentator shouting "muthafucka" and making jokes about "bustin' caps in asses" for one very obvious reason (hint: it was not just the fact that he ranted about the VGAs).

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

Well meaning but boilerplate "people online are sexist racist jerks!" rant, followed up by sexist jokes, sexist commercials, sexist hosts, and parading out that particular YouTube commentator shouting "muthafucka" and making jokes about "bustin' caps in asses" for one very obvious reason (hint: it was not just the fact that he ranted about the VGAs).

Oh god yes.

Are you saying what I think you're saying? AH HELL NAW

I wouldn't mind seeing Jeff Cannata host an awards show that isn't such a trainwreck.

I would trust him to be smart about things but still be funny and witty.

Like a more dialed in Neal Patrick Harris. Cannata is idealistic enough that I can't help but think he'd say. "Fuck that." to some of their more bullshit bits or writing.

So Spike or gametrailers don't have it available to watch after the event?
That kinda sucks, i missed it and thought this would have been available to watch non-live.

So Spike or gametrailers don't have it available to watch after the event?
That kinda sucks, i missed it and thought this would have been available to watch non-live.

If by kinda sucks...you mean kinda fucking stupid then...+1

I don`t get it. It`s like it`s been scoured from the goddamn internets.

It's not boring stuff, it's being respectful to people that are the whole reason that award show is held. I think vast majority of developers would like to feel respected and shown that they work is appreciated. BAFTA does that in a really classy way, VGAs does that like a screaming kid from a supermarket. It's sad that year after year some developers continue to support this crap by showing up/accepting an award. It's also a complete mystery how did they decide to get Miyamoto on stage - nobody in Nintendo of America has the decency to inform him about the crap the show is?

Wouldn't work, the reason for that is simple - Spike VGA are not about honoring the developers, or the best games. It's simply a ploy to make people tune in to Spike. All elements of the show - D-List celebrities, fake awards, retarded jokes - is meant not for gamers, but for average American TV viewer. Trailers are just there to inflate the number of viewers, since gamers will tune in to watch the reveals. Geoff is at it each year, hyping the stuff, then we get disappointed + he promises next year it will be different. Next year same shit happens.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Geoff is actually a pretty good writer, and he can sell news like no other.

His "Final Hours" pieces are fantastic, particularly the most recent one, pertaining to Portal 2. There's actually a genuine video game journalist buried beneath that media-pandering persona.

Riposte

It's not boring stuff, it's being respectful to people that are the whole reason that award show is held. I think vast majority of developers would like to feel respected and shown that they work is appreciated.

That is what awards, by themselves, are for.

Award ceremonies are about making a pompous show out of it.

i can't believe that many here defend that guy, he is the worst.

PR drone.

Something particularly insidious and cynical about placing this as something for the fans or developers, when it's clearly a pure marketing maneuver made to extract as many advertising/exclusivity dollars as possible.

BY2K

Membero Americo
e28aace6dd853f1dcd5984ea4c411ed7.jpg

Swag.

guek

Banned
I bet miyamoto was the one that gave him the idea to 'lose' his vita ;)

Miyamoto is fucking palpatine. You'd never know =P

His other hand is actually in Deadmau5's back pocket, fishing out the vita in order to analyze its weaknesses back at the Nintendo HQ Master Laboratory

Xilium

You might want to check how BAFTA Video Awards are run - black tie, tables, classy setting. They also allow - SHOCKER - developers to talk a bit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4iJsvkWA7M
But it lacks spectacle, which is the point. You're never going to get a VG award show in the style and size of the Emmy/Grammy/Academy award show because games are not likely to ever be as ingrained into society as TV, Music, and Film nor will the developers reach the celebrity status of the nominees for the aforementioned award shows.

There needs to be some kind of mainstream draw to bring in the advertising dollars and the VGAs are what we get. They aren't the Grammys, nor are they trying to be. They are trying to be the MTV Video Music Awards and that is frankly the best path for them to take.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
But it lacks spectacle, which is the point. You're never going to get a VG award show in the style and size of the Emmy/Grammy/Academy award show because games are not likely to ever be as ingrained into society as TV, Music, and Film nor will the developers reach the celebrity status of the nominees for the aforementioned award shows.

There needs to be some kind of mainstream draw to bring in the advertising dollars and the VGAs are what we get. They aren't the Grammys, nor are they trying to be. They are trying to be the MTV Video Music Awards and that is frankly the best path for them to take.

The MTV awards, more than any of the aforementioned, reply on star power and beautiful charismatic faces. That format does not -- I repeat -- does NOT work with video games, it just shines a spotlight onto how niche the medium really is.

Moofers

Did you guys see the part where they had that gold coin from Uncharted 3 up on the stage? How cool was that? I mean I knew they'd get some cool cameos, but I didn't know they had the budget to get one of the Uncharted 3 gold coins! I think they had some other cameos too, maybe Link's shield was on there at one point? I can't remember exactly because I was just too blown away by the gold coin's appearance.

Can't wait for next year! Maybe they'll get a traffic cone from Grand Theft Auto V? Probably not, but let's dream big anyway!

Hanmik

BBC NEWS : Skyrim wins Spike VGA awards despite PlayStation glitch

The fantasy role-playing game, Skyrim, has won the top prize at the prestigious Spike Video Game Awards.

The Game of the Year title was voted for by senior writers at 25 news organisations including Wired and IGN.

The decision has been criticised on some internet forums because of bugs which appeared to be particularly problematic in the PlayStation version.

Skyrim's developers said they were working on a solution and asked for "patience".

more at link....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16136691

The MTV awards, more than any of the aforementioned, reply on star power and beautiful charismatic faces. That format does not -- I repeat -- does NOT work with video games, it just shines a spotlight onto how niche the medium really is.

Or at least just how different the creative process is. Rockstar types just don't really exist in our industry, the only guy who comes close to pulling that off is Cliff. I prefer it that way, anyway, I'll take people over personas any day. But it's not something that fits well with 'star power' and such, agreed. I'd argue that's why the character speech stuff, easily the best thing about these years VGAs, work well. I'd like to see more of that.

Top Bottom