• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2011 Spike VGAs: Dec 10th @ 7:30 PM EST, Streaming Online [Kojima: SO SORRY]

Riposte

Wait a fucking minute. They put Mark Hamill, the voice of the "character of the year" in the nosebleeds but they put shitty, washed up Hulk Hogan at a table near the main stage? The FUCK?

Geoff K, you should be embarrassed. I'm embarrassed for you, honestly.

The dude's LUKE SKYWALKER

He should be royalty to the Spike TV audience.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Glad I skipped this.
There wasn't even a choice in whether I'd skip it or not since there was a UFC event on. I knew the only things that's worth to tune in for are the trailers and I could watch them all on Gametrailers today.

inky

Looks like the same thing happened to Emily Rose:

https://twitter.com/EmilyroseLA/status/145969035144740864

This need its own thread and needs to be PMEd to Geoff a million times as well. Hope he pays enough attention and hopefully he has the power to change some stuff around.

9659679f7dc64b9ac02ddcd3c69c752a.jpg

Aesthet1c

The VGA's were an awful joke (expected, but still awful). The reveals were cool, but being an awards show and only handing out like 3 awards was pathetic. They wasted so much time of stupid stuff, like everything back stage with Felicia Day was stupid and pointless, as well as the whole Blitz cover and that dude pretending to be upset with the producer.

It would be nice if somebody could create something classy, that treated its audience with a little respect. VGA's just confirm to the world that we are all immature dorks.

Also, such a shame how the nominees of the "extra" categories were treated.

The VGA's were an awful joke (expected, but still awful). The reveals were cool, but being an awards show and only handing out like 3 awards was pathetic. They wasted so much time of stupid stuff, like everything back stage with Felicia Day was stupid and pointless, as well as the whole Blitz cover and that dude pretending to be upset with the producer.

It would be nice if somebody could create something classy, that treated its audience with a little respect. VGA's just confirm to the world that we are all immature dorks.

Also, such a shame how the nominees of the "extra" categories were treated.

Know what's worse? That some developers actually attend this PoS. I'm looking at you Blizzard, you make millions on WoW and S2, do you really have to chase dudebro audience?

Easily agreeing more with Alex. He points out the cynical marketing-driven nature of the business like Jeff does (but without throwing up his hands and saying "but that's how things are, oh well"), but also examines why the VGAs this year were particularly insulting to the industry.

I also agree with Alex, but not on Geoff wanting to make a better show. He is very at ease and good at selling crap, and he does it very well. All his excuses about "next time it will be better, thanks for the feedback" are just that - excuses, and next year same shit happens. Maybe it's finally time to change jobs if your network doesn't give a fuck about what you want to be doing?

LowParry

Know what's worse? That some developers actually attend this PoS. I'm looking at you Blizzard, you make millions on WoW and S2, do you really have to chase dudebro audience?

To be fair on Blizzards side, they weren't only there to receive an award, but give to the world a brand new trailer of Diablo 3. So I think in their defense, being there was good.

Danielsan

Well, reading a bit of this thread as well as the two articles on Giant Bomb and Alex Navarro's twitter feed and I'm happier than ever that I didn't stay up till 4a.m to watch this train wreck. I made that error last year and I swore to never make it again, but the MGR leak as well as Geoff's promises that this year would be better were swaying my better judgement.

Honestly, if you want to watch a video game award show that respects the viewer go watch the BAFTA Video Game Awards. The Brits know how to do it right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnoLUzwaCwY&feature=related

Jeff Gerstmann and Alex Navarro each write a piece on the VGAs:

Jeff's Thoughts On Those Spike TV Awards

The 2011 Spike Video Game Awards: On Teabagging, Cupcakes, and Charlie Sheen

Easily agreeing more with Alex. He points out the cynical marketing-driven nature of the business like Jeff does (but without throwing up his hands and saying "but that's how things are, oh well"), but also examines why the VGAs this year were particularly insulting to the industry.

i like how jeff's article is filed under "will.i.am"

Zomba13

I also agree with Alex, but not on Geoff wanting to make a better show. He is very at ease and good at selling crap, and he does it very well. All his excuses about "next time it will be better, thanks for the feedback" are just that - excuses, and next year same shit happens. Maybe it's finally time to change jobs if your network doesn't give a fuck about what you want to be doing?

I feel the same way. He's always saying that they take the feedback on board and it'll be better next time but year after year it really doesn't seem that way. He is damn great at building hype for stuff though and when he says 'next time it'll be better' you sort of believe him.

Glad I skipped this nothing of value was announced. Only semi worthy announcement was some generic zombie game by Naughty Dog. VGA's are always terrible.

FStop7

Banned
Ka3ur.png

holy moley

Geoffy suffering from a severe case of Hollywood entertainment industry douchebaggery stockholm syndrome. He needs to take a few steps back and seriously look at what he is putting his name/reputation on and decide if that is really what he wants to be associated with. He gave Hulk Hogan, the Jonas Brother, and a bikini model more of a presence than any of the people who actually create the games. He didn't even give Mark Goddamned Hammil a seat at a table, but some fake "blogger" got one in order to take part in a painfully awkward sketch that only existed as an excuse for the douchey Spike TV producer to get his own face on camera.

That's your creation, Geoff. Nice work.

Ka3ur.png

The only "balance" is the balance between the actual awards and the filler crap they pull. That filler should not even exist. Trailer, Awards, thats IT. No teabagging, no stupid "Fruit Ninja" segments, no stupid dartboards, awards+trailers. Thats ALL it should be. Nothing more, nothing less. Maybe a little speech at the start about internet douchebags and a speech at the end, but absolutely not the filler crap they've been doing

If they didn't have filler crap we could have seen , you know, actual AWARDS.

Plus Geoff's too scared to post in this topic again

Ryaaan14

Banned
It is very confusing to me why someone with as much prestige as Geoff would damage his credibility by defending the show. He really seems to be going beyond his job duties for something he is surely having an inner struggle about.

Regardless, people will forgive and forget just like any disaster in this industry.

[Nintex]

This is what the big publishers and marketing people sign up for. The upper brass from Activision/EA etc. really don't give a shit about who makes the games really.

inky

Honestly, if you want to watch a video game award show that respects the viewer go watch the BAFTA Video Game Awards. The Brits know how to do it right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnoLUzwaCwY&feature=related

Meh, 2 minutes in and no one has been teabagged. To quote Jeff G: BO_RIIIIINNG! And who are these people speaking? I don't know any of them from their prominent twitter careers. Wait, they even interviewed common fans? pfff...

i can't believe that many here defend that guy, he is the worst.

I wouldn't put all the blame on him. Maybe he understands, but we are not the ones paying his salary, or paying for the show for that matter. Maybe he is truly happy with the way it turns out... Although him posting here once in a while makes some people go like if they themselves worked in the industry just from reading his words.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Shigeru Miyamoto is placed into their Hall of Fame : gets 10 seconds to hurry the fuck up before he gets teabagged...

Black baron internet dude threatens to murder the producers of the VGAs : gets 5 minutes awkward silent mic time.

FStop7

Banned
Jeff Gerstmann and Alex Navarro each write a piece on the VGAs:

Jeff's Thoughts On Those Spike TV Awards

Jeff's op-ed whiffed. Example - Bastion and MK won awards and the devs didn't even get to accept them. Ed Boon was there, he has working hands and feet fully capable of bringing him up to the stage and receiving his award. Was that terribad 5 minute bit with the Youtube guy seriously worth not giving NetherRealm and Supergiant each 1 minute to accept their awards? Is that such a sacrifice to be made that it would cause the VGAs to collapse under the weight of BO_RIING! ?

Zomba13

You want to know what doesn't look right?

Best Game: Skyrim
Best PS3 Game: Skyrim? No, Uncharted 3.
Best 360 Game: Skyrim? No, Batman: Arkham City.
Best PC Game: Skyrim? No. Batman: Arkham City? No again. Portal 2.
Best Wii Game: Skyward Sword.

Basically they arranged the results so each GOTY nominee would get a "Best * Game" award no matter what. Fucking ridiculous.

Oh lol.

I think the best way to do stuff like that is to have best exclusive 360/ps3/pc/wii game categories and then a best multiplatform game.

That is just how I'd do things though but I don't run an awards show.

Shigeru Miyamoto is placed into their Hall of Fame : gets 10 seconds to hurry the fuck up before he gets teabagged...

What was up with the tea bagging thing (didn't watch it because of me being in the UK but did catch some 'highlights'. Was it if the devs spent too long accepting stuff? Seems very disrespectful even it was supposed to be funny. If they tea-bagged Miyamoto I think I'd flip the fuck out.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I don't understand how Geoff Keighley got where he is. How? Can someone give me a history lesson? The guy seems like the most anti-genuine gamer. Why can't a Brian Crecente or Garnett Lee be where Geoff is?

BY2K

Membero Americo

Black baron internet dude threatens to murder the producers of the VGAs : gets 5 minutes awkward silent mic time.

They wouldn't dare teabag Miyamoto. It's just unthinkable.

Zomba13

I don't understand how Geoff Keighley got where he is. How? Can someone give me a history lesson? The guy seems like the most anti-genuine gamer. Why can't a Brian Crecente or Garnett Lee be where Geoff is?

He's a damn good games journalist (and not a lol 'games journalist'). At least that is what I get from the stuff I've read that he's written (The Portal 2 app thing is great).

Crecente? The guy from Kotaku? Are you kidding me?

Go read Geoff's "The Final Hours of" series. You'll then understand that he's far from being an "anti-genuine gamer".

Danielsan

Because Geoff is a really efficient PR guy. He's not exceptionally opinionated, looks good on camera, does have a genuine love for the industry, but also always keep the best interest of the people who pay his salary in mind.

Riposte

Jeff's article rocks all these "what VGAs should be" posts on NeoGAF.

EDIT: Whether the awards should be "taken seriously" depends more on how the awards are chosen than how they are given. Picking out the best games based on a moshpit of opinion game journos from dozens and dozens of publications simply doesn't provide an as intelligent result as criticism from a few smarter than average minds, or one. You only need to look at some of inconsistent and baffling nominees or lack of in areas outside of "Game of the Year", etc for example of this at play.

(Naturally NeoGAF's "GotY" is the biggest joke of all)

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Crecente? The guy from Kotaku? Are you kidding me?

Go read Geoff's "The Final Hours of" series. You'll then understand that he's far from being an "anti-genuine gamer".

Yes, the guy from Kotaku. I enjoy his writing and perspective as a family man on the industry.

As for Geoff, if his writing is so good, why is his on camera personality so atrocious? When I saw him on the VGA Bonus Round episodes I couldn't help but think "oh this is the PR shill they hired to market every game". Definitely would not think he's a hardcore games journalist and he definitely doesn't come across as genuine. I do remember him pushing Reggie on the wiiU but even that seemed a bit forced.

AAK

Quick question, I've never seen the Oscars (not really into drama movies) but how long is the Oscars, are they 2 hours as well? Also, are the BAFTA awards on national TV?

Top Bottom