• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2013 Formula 1 Pre-Season Thread |OT| Plenty of Time Left in the Silly Season

DrM

Redmond's Baby
WOW, Mercedes have to supply McLaren next year as per agreement, not something they really want to do.

"Carl, are these engines for AMG team or for Mclaren?"
"They will be shipped to Woking today."
"Well, not so fast, they will undergo slight modification"

booom there goes the turbine

Leunam

I'm going to start putting the F1 OT soon, and it will be in Community. This is where we were put last year so unless the mods say otherwise this is where we stay. :)

If anyone has suggestions for a different F1 fantasy league please share, we need a new home now that F1RM is down for the time being.

Hammer24

Banned
AMS did a nice analysis of the sector times over all the testing. The result: all cars using the RBR exhaust system lose a bunch of time (between 1 and 1.5 seconds) in slow corners.

I'm going to start putting the F1 OT soon, and it will be in Community. This is where we were put last year so unless the mods say otherwise this is where we stay. :)

If anyone has suggestions for a different F1 fantasy league please share, we need a new home now that F1RM is down for the time being.

Putting the new thread in the community section would be a shame. I obviously get where you're coming from and why the rule exists, but seeing how some community threads (iOS, iPad, iPad mini, various phone threads) are posted in OT and stay there, I can't say it's really fair. Formula 1 is a relatively small sport compared to the monsters that were moved to community and we all noticed how the OT2 basically died very quickly after moving it to the ghetto.

moojito

I reckon any new thread should get a chance to sit in the OT for a while to try and hoover up as many new recruits as possible before it gets dragged screaming down to the basement.

acm2000

you really cant take anything at all from these testing times, absolutely nothing

not one team/driver will have been pedal to the metal, not one driver/team will want to show its hand

the first 3 practices are where shit gets real

Hammer24

Banned
Jesus, a whole second? That can't be right can it?

They'd be all completely out of the running.

best 3rd sector times
ALO 27,519 secs
ROS 27,530 secs
-----
VET 28,477 secs
RAI 28,177 secs
MAL 28,331 secs

- even if RBR was sandbagging, why would WIL and LOT do the same?
- as long as MAL used last years exhaust config, he was constantly among the quickest in 3rd sector

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
best 3rd sector times
ALO 27,519 secs
ROS 27,530 secs
-----
VET 28,477 secs
RAI 28,177 secs
MAL 28,331 secs

- even if RBR was sandbagging, why would WIL and LOT do the same?
- as long as MAL used last years exhaust config, he was constantly among the quickest in 3rd sector
I presume this exhaust has better performance in high-speed corners then due to the continuous flow of hi-speed exhaust gases.
Any sector times for this from Barcelona?

Hammer24

Banned
I presume this exhaust has better performance in high-speed corners then due to the continuous flow of hi-speed exhaust gases.
Any sector times for this from Barcelona?

They´re only saying, that when RBR had to go back to the 2012 engine software,, they lost between 3 and 4 tenth per second on a lap. This was between the first and second Barcelona week.

The thread is a continuation of a community, not the start of one. Threads like this have obviously been moved for a reason, it seems pretty futile to continually rally against it.

If someone on GAF wants to talk about F1 on GAF, they'll search and find this. If they don't think to search and choose to believe that GAF as a collective has no interest in it, then frankly they don't deserve the discussion. Lazy bum wipes.

As for the Honda stuff, it's nice to see the BBC have given it some coverage as it lends a lot of weight to the rumours. It still seems very up in the air though, who knows how it will play out.

Addnan

Woah, Honda back in F1. Now that will make it more interesting. Would love to see McLaren in white again.

Anyone watch the testing on SkyF1? That was boring lol, as much as I love F1 watching the cars drive without anything really going on heh.

Lotus look like they are keeping up with the rest again, please let Kimi win more races please <3.

Oh and I want to take part in the F1 fantasy this season, when does that usually go up?

aeroslash

I know it was diccussed some weeks ago, but never saw the final decision on it.

On what fantasy manager are were competing this year? Last year f1racemanager was awesome!

dubc35

I don't think there has been a decision on which fantasy manager we're using. I'm looking forward to playing as well but F1RM is the only one I know/have used so I don't have any proposals on others.

DD

I like the look of this one. Have you tried it?

Yes, on 2010 and 2011. Last year they were so late that I gave up. As you can see, they're still with the 2012 season. lol I don't know if they will update that shit before the season start. =P

Mogwai

I'm sad having realized that Kobayashi isn't driving this season. 2013 was supposed to be the year where he would cause some true mayhem and revolution :/

i use http://www.fantasyracers.com/ because its fast and simple, just budget and drivers, be crafty first half of the season to make profit, flog and buy your way up

A bit OT, but Kubica is driving for Citroen in the WRC2.

Robert Kubica will contest the World Rally Championship's WRC2 tier in 2013, having signed a deal with Citroën. The ex-Formula 1 driver, who had been in talks with Mercedes over a potential DTM seat, will pilot a Citroën DS3 RRC at seven events.

"I weighed up the different options before deciding on this programme," said Kubica. "I kept in touch with Citroën Racing and both sides were keen to continue working together. I&#8217;m really pleased now to be able to return to top-level racing.

"Taking part in Rally Islas Canarias will be an interesting challenge for me. I can&#8217;t wait to start racing, but I haven&#8217;t set myself any specific target. I still have a lot to learn in rallying and to improve I will need to rack up the miles on the stages."

Kubica will drive with a paddle shift gearbox throughout the 2013 campaign, with governing body the FIA permitting small cockpit modifications as he continues to recover from injuries sustained at the Ronde di Andora in early 2011.
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/autosport-news/291258/kubica-signs-wrc2-deal-with-citroen/

It's been 2 years since the incident and he's still recovering. There's no way we would've seen him back in F1.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Kubica already said himself that his return to F1 is almost impossible, because his arm will never totally recover from that crash.

Lach

Some picture from The Hulk at his fitness and reaction training.

BEl45PwCMAA1Kvb.jpg:large

BEl4TahCAAAb4mL.jpg:large

I have really high hopes he can get Sauber a win this year...

Mogwai

He will replace Massa in 2014 & win multiple world championships

Yeah it will be exciting to see if Massa can improve. He showed good pace the last few races, but else than that he's been really crappy. Ferrari must believe a lot in his ability, as they just refuse fire him despite no good results for so long.

Looks like Renault are going to return to Le Mans in the very near future.
They plan to use their 2014 engine in the LMP1 class and will also supply an engine and partner with Signatech in LMP2 class too.

Renault 2014 engine analysis:
http://www.racecar-engineering.com/articles/f1/renault-rs34-the-future-of-formula-1/

Terrific article.

I'm very excited about the new engines, but at the same time nervous about their impact on competition. It's nothing a couple years of working with them won't cure, but I won't be shocked to see total domination by a single team in 2014.

Top Bottom