• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2017 RPG Discussion Thread

Arulan

While I'm sure the OP's sudden disappearance didn't help, this thread feels a lot more dead this year than than in years past.

Mephala

While I'm sure the OP's sudden disappearance didn't help, this thread feels a lot more dead this year than than in years past.

I kind of agree. We have quite a few good looking RPGs coming but there isn't a lot of noise here. I wonder how much an active OP would have helped this. I guess part of the reason is probably the Horizon, Switch, BoTW honeymoon combo.

The lack of update for the OP is disappointing though. In previous years I enjoyed checking the OP for updates to see new additions, changes or things i may have forgotten. Knowing this one is dead in the water makes me skip straight to the end of the thread.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

giphy.gif

...Well, that's about how it goes with Grimoire.

I mean, on the other hand, the issue with his compatriots is that slim to nothing happens either way! Wolf Mittag on Darghul is still likely, mysteriously wanderlusting/working his way around south/southeast Asia out of contact 99% of the last great years:

http://www.darghul.com/home.html

Ultimate Newcomer: GOLD occasionally posts vague, non-English updates about just about anything but here and there yearly:

http://www.newcomer.hu/index.html

So, if Grimoire can actually, finally happen this time----it'll be excellent to close the book on this exceedingly eccentric chapter of cRPG history and hopefully somehow spur along the other crazy megaproject folks to also reach out boldly at long last.

I have such crazy high hopes for Starcrawlers---the long-dreamed prospect of A Dungeon Crawler....but with post-release support even a fraction of how good they were about doing Early Access? The stuff of dreams compared to the usual/continually failing paradigm of "Black Box it up, dump it on launch, pray nothing catches fire too much, fade away into the horizon wringing hands about what's done is done".

Arkkoran

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone here played StarCrawlers in early access? I'm curious for some impressions from users around here.

Sinatar

Grimoire gets a release date of May 29th , might be thread worthy if anyone wants to start one

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;
Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi
Troubles my sight: a waste of desert sand;
A shape with lion body and the head of a man,
A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
Wind shadows of the indignant desert birds.

The darkness drops again but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

Kvik

I know everyone's busy with Nier/Persona (who doesn't, really? :p), but everyone should play Cosmic Star Heroine. I can attest to its lean and tight battle mechanics.

Arulan

Most of my time recently has been spent playing Battle Brothers. It hasn't been discussed a lot in here, but I highly recommend giving it a look.

Grimoire's release is certainly going to be interesting. Expeditions: Viking in a little over a week too! What a year it's going to be.

Sinatar

Just got a kickstarter update that Starcrawlers launch has been delayed a week, it's now May 23rd instead of the 16th.

Kickstarter Update said:
Hi everyone!

We’ve decided to delay launch until May 23rd - there’s a few more adjustments, fixes and tweaks to make (plus a brand new system we’ve been keeping secret) and we want to make sure everything is solid for launch. Thank you for your patience and we’ll be back in 7 short days with launch of version 1.0!

Cheers,

- Juggernaut

Currently playing persona 5.

When I'm done with that I think I'm going to dive into an older title in my backlog.

Maybe I'll finish I am Setsuna.

Who knows.

SaylorMan

Im stuck in a gaming rut!
Help :p

Persona 4 Golden - 15 hours in
Planescape Torement - 10 hours in
Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 40 hours in
Red Dead Redemption - Half way through (No idea about hours)

Im not generally a JRPG guy but Im enjoying Persona's characters, its mystery and its gameplay loop but the loop gets draining.
Planescape, I took a break after encountering a pretty big bug halting my progress, I recently went back and found away around it. But its so hard to re-immerse myself. As well as the journal system/quest log isnt the greatest.
Zelda got interrupted by Andromeda, and I just haven't gone back since. Its gameplay is great even though Im a story/character guy.
I know its not an RPG but Red Dead first half is solid, great characters, great atmosphere and nice presentation. Then I get to mexico and I seem to stop caring.

Any ideas? I've been thinking about just moving onto Horizon: Zero Dawn which has my interest.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Im stuck in a gaming rut!
Help :p

Persona 4 Golden - 15 hours in
Planescape Torement - 10 hours in
Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 40 hours in
Red Dead Redemption - Half way through (No idea about hours)

Im not generally a JRPG guy but Im enjoying Persona's characters, its mystery and its gameplay loop but the loop gets draining.
Planescape, I took a break after encountering a pretty big bug halting my progress, I recently went back and found away around it. But its so hard to re-immerse myself. As well as the journal system/quest log isnt the greatest.
Zelda got interrupted by Andromeda, and I just haven't gone back since. Its gameplay is great even though Im a story/character guy.
I know its not an RPG but Red Dead first half is solid, great characters, great atmosphere and nice presentation. Then I get to mexico and I seem to stop caring.

Any ideas? I've been thinking about just moving onto Horizon: Zero Dawn which has my interest.

Persona 4 Golden. If you're a story/character guy it has the most and best of the bunch.

Mix it up with a bit of something else. I usually have an online game I go to in between single player games. Stuff like Rocket League or Overwatch or Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Sinatar

So what's actually the story behind this game? I saw the bizarre steam community comments post earlier on this page. First I've heard of it.

Oh I missed this.

It's waaaaay too long a story to get into, but the cliff notes is that it started off as a Wizardry spin-off a million years ago, and one dude has been working on it ever since. Said dude (Cleve Blakemore) is a raving lunatic on the level of Derek Smart.

aravuus

Can anyone recommend me a decent TRPG along the lines of Banner Saga and jeanne d'arc?

Have you tried the obvious ones, Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre: Let Us Clinge Together? Both available for the PSP/Vita afaik, since you mentioned Jeanne d'Arc.

Have you tried the obvious ones, Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre: Let Us Clinge Together? Both available for the PSP/Vita afaik, since you mentioned Jeanne d'Arc.

Yeah i went through a phase of playing all of those. Im tempted by the Disgaea games but im not a huge fan of the art and the story look stupid.

aravuus

Yeah i went through a phase of playing all of those. Im tempted by the Disgaea games but im not a huge fan of the art and the story look stupid.

Disgaea 5 is fantastic, but yeah, best to just ignore the story. The art is what it is also, but the sprites at least look fine so it's something you'll quickly forget about after you've lost yourself in the myriad different gameplay systems the game has. Disgaea 2 supposedly has an okay story, but if it's compared to the other games in the series, it's not saying much. Haven't played it personally.

If you have a 3DS, check out Stella Glow for a solid SRPG similar to Jeanne d'Arc with a fun story. Then there are the Fire Emblem games, a bit different with not-as-awful-as-Disgaea-but-still-bad stories but good, challenging gameplay. Fire Emblem Awakening is probably your best bet if you haven't played them before.

Staf

I'm super-hyped for Pillars of Eternity for PS4 later this month. Anyone who have played it before and if so, how's the story? I think the expansion packs are included.

I played it at launch and the story was rather disappointing. I quit after finishing act 2 of 3. The lore behind the world is pretty interesting but it's not presented that well.

A lot has changed since launch though so no idea about the current state of the game.

aravuus

PoE's story is serviceable and does a fine job for a playthrough or maybe even two, but I had a bigger problem with how goddamn dry the writing is for the most part. Some good characters and bits of dialogue here and there that make it worth that one playthrough, though.

Just... Skip the weird backer short stories, i.e. all the NPCs with yellow (iirc) names.

PoE's story is serviceable and does a fine job for a playthrough or maybe even two, but I had a bigger problem with how goddamn dry the writing is for the most part. Some good characters and bits of dialogue here and there that make it worth that one playthrough, though.

Just... Skip the weird backer short stories, i.e. all the NPCs with yellow (iirc) names.

Except The Vulture! IIRC he's in the NeoGAF inn (located in the main city) or thereabouts.

But yeah, dry is a good way to describe PoE's writing. It wants to do some really profound stuff, but struggles to deliver that in an engaging way to the player. It's kind of... hollow, or maybe unsatisfying? Something like that.

I haven't played the xpacs, though.

JC Sera

tbf some of them are really good

Top Bottom