• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 24 Hours of Le Mans 2014 |OT| Audi, Porsche, Toyota. One Winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

andylsun

You know, aside from a hardcore few, hardly anyone I've met here at the track that actually gives a shit about what's going on in the race.

Most I've met are about shopping, getting shitfaced or just being general poseurs with their flash cars / clothes. I never expected it to be worse than f1 in that respect.

Unrelated. GO AUDI!

Wow, didn't think it would be as bad as that. Did you camp at the track? Is it easy to get visibility of most of the track? How far did you walk?

As for how it is at the track, pretty much what you make if it I guess. Access to the cars is unparalleled in high end Motorsport, but be prepared to work for it.

Edit - Walked pretty much every area of the track, including bits I shouldnt have been at. In the day you can forget about getting to most bits, but at night you can fill your boots.

I camped off site, but I've been here 30 plus hours now.

andylsun

As for how it is at the track, pretty much what you make if it I guess. Access to the cars is unparalleled in high end Motorsport, but be prepared to work for it.

Could you spend part of the race at Dunlop and walk to Indianapolis and spend part of the race there? Doesn't look like there's much to see of the mulsane

fuenf

always amazing to see the 24h be decided by a couple of a seconds, almost unbelievable how close this race ALWAYS is

Juicy Bob

Audi do a phenomenal job every year. I'm just so bored of them winning over and over and over again. Especially this year, when Toyota were clearly the superior package.

But oh well, that's Le Mans.

fuenf

I love it.

I'm not an Audi fan or anything, but its hard for me not to smile at how they seem to triumph no matter fucking what.

I hope they pull it out, I didnt believe they have a chance but the #2 car is magical. No matter how this race ends, Lotterer / Treluyer / Fässler might be the best car / driver combination there currently is in LeMans. Last year they got unlucky but those three have been more or less dominating LeMans since 2011.

Chiramii

Woke up to a crawling #20 Porsche, what a shame!
I might sound like a selfish bastard but this race might have enough footage for Truth in 24 III, if they were to make that.

Still almost 2 hours to go though, everything can happen.

fuenf

Woke up to a crawling #20 Porsche, what a shame!
I might sound like a selfish bastard but this race might have enough footage for Truth in 24 III, if they were to make that.

Still almost 2 hours to go though, everything can happen.

As they'll never be able to top Truth in 24h II, I don't want them to make another one that focuses on Audi. A documentary covering all three teams would be exciting though.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Wow, they even re-used the tub that survived that massive crash in practice, mechanics from all Audi teams helped and they rebuild car overnight and it was ready at 8:30 am for inspection. Crazy.

That #8 Toyota has monster pace the last time i checked it was 11 laps down and now its 5 laps down. With the #20 Porsche out that means the Toyota is going to secure a podium finish, not the first they wanted but its better than nothing.

AristoCat

Another great race this year for a boring repeating result. But hey still 90 mins to go. The Toyota #7 and now the Porsche #20 this is just sad...

Azulsky

Well if we all go and buy a peugeot then maybe they will have enough money to come back and put the hurting on Audi. ;P

Hopefully Nissans LMP1 comes out strong next year.

So I slept through the last (?) turning point of the race and woke up 10 minutes *after* the #20 died. Smh
Audi do a phenomenal job every year. I'm just so bored of them winning over and over and over again. Especially this year, when Toyota were clearly the superior package.

But oh well, that's Le Mans.
It was boring when they were basically running unopposed for a year or two, but as long as they have to push I don't mind Audi coming put ahead. They earned it this time.

TylerD

Take a nap at 2:30 to go and set it for 1 hr. Wake up and Audi is running 1-2. Cars that both had to have turbos changed and 1 that had to be completely rebuilt. Absolutely masterful job by the guys with the 4 rings.

Real shame that their competition can't seem to keep things together... but as Elfforkusu said above (at least they have competition again)

dalin80

Banned
Real shame that their competition can't seem to keep things together.

The problem is that the competitors keep coming and going, Audi have a decades experience non-stop, other manufacturers come along, try for a couple of years and then give up again.

Until one of those manufactures show the long term commitment that Audi have then nothing will change.

Take a nap at 2:30 to go and set it for 1 hr. Wake up and Audi is running 1-2. Cars that both had to have turbos changed and 1 that had to be completely rebuilt. Absolutely masterful job by the guys with the 4 rings.

Real shame that their competition can't seem to keep things together.
Toyota had the car to beat. The #7 going out in a poof was it...

I mean, this is cutting edge stuff. I was marveling over 20% increased fuel efficiency for the audis year over year, but it seems like they paid for their innovation with the turbo problem.

Toyota is close. Hope nissan can bring it. Know porsche will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom