• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 24 Hours of Le Mans 2014 |OT| Audi, Porsche, Toyota. One Winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcutner

I hope there is a good way to stream this in Canada.

I don't have Speed anymore, and the only benefit of Speed is that they would stream online for free during the hours when it's not being broadcast on TV.

Shaneus

Ohhh... that's right! I remember that now, especially after seeing TI24-II. Yeah, fuck them. Appalling behaviour.

After Audi had lost two of their cars in two horrific accidents, leaving their leading car all alone and vulnerable in the final hours, Peugeot decided to start acting like dickheads to try and slow up the remaining Audi.
I don't begrudge Peugeot for it. It was out of line, but it was hard racing. Not some affront to the sport. I mean, he could've dumped him and been done with it... there are enough ways to make an intentional wreck look like an accident to pull it off.

Would love to see them back in the fold. We need more diesels!

...which is why it was out of line.

Not condoning it, just saying that I can understand how it happened and don't consider it a black mark on Peugeot.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Rebellion R-One Given Performance Break
The Rebellion R-One has been given a significant performance break ahead of this weekend’s 24 Hours of Le Mans.

The FIA Endurance Committee confirmed Sunday that the LMP1-L car will receive a 40 kg weight reduction, a 2 percent increase in maximum fuel flow, and no limit in fuel consumption per lap.

As a result, it drops the car down to a minimum weight of 810 kg, some 60 kg lighter than the factory hybrid prototypes from Audi, Porsche and Toyota.

Rebellion’s two Toyota-powered entries made their debuts in last month’s FIA WEC Six Hours of Spa, but struggled to match the pace of the LMP1-H entries.

The cars were more than 8.5 seconds off the pace from the leading Toyota at the Le Mans Test Day.

According to the FIA, the changes were made in agreement with all LMP1 competitors but are expected to be re-evaluated following the twice-around-the-clock endurance classic.

The team’s two entries are due to be driven by Nick Heidfeld, Nicolas Prost, Mathias Beche (No. 12) and Andrea Belicchi, Dominik Kraihamer and Fabio Lemer (No. 13).
Link

This will give the factory teams something to think about. I've had a soft spot for Rebellion ever since their inception as Speedy Racing so a podium for them would be very welcome.

Edmond Dantès;115949735 said:
This will give the factory teams something to think about. I've had a soft spot for Rebellion ever since their inception as Speedy Racing so a podium for them would be very welcome.

Surely that's not enough to get them in the mix is it? Would be surprised if the factory teams gave them that much of an advantage.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Surely that's not enough to get them in the mix is it? Would be surprised if the factory teams gave them that much of an advantage.
Certainly not enough to challenge for outright victory, but if any of the factory teams encounter problems, then Rebellion could find themselves challenging for third.

It's still a very long shot though.

Dilly

Banned
Edmond Dantès;115949735 said:
Rebellion R-One Given Performance Break
Link

That's very cool, because the Rebellion at Spa was just driving in a class of its own. Must be quite demotivating.

Juicy Bob

Audi #1 has had a monster shunt. Looks horrendous. Car completely torn in half. No replays as of yet. Session Red Flagged.

ruXf1XW.jpg

EDIT: Apparently Duval on board. No news at the moment, TV director has cut away from the accident scene. According to Radio Le Mans guys, he may have gotten airborne into the Porsche Curves and hit the barriers rearwards.

Juicy Bob

Duval in the medical centre now having been extracted and taken by ambulance to the paddock. No news of his condition as of yet.

That's quite a shunt, and not the place you want to have one with how much speed the P1s are carrying through the Porsche Curves.

Seems the car has been recovered and has made it back to the pits. It's hard to be too worried about the #1's prospects until we hear more about Duval's condition. Driver's cell looked to be intact, but that was an enormous hit.

According to radio le mans, duval was conscious and talking. Great news.

Now then... doesn't this make the race Toyota's to lose? The #1 audi was the only one able to match the toyota pace.

Dilly

Banned
My god, that picture is absolutely terrible. I can only hope the driver is okay, and if so that would be an enormous example of how safe motorsport has become.

Now then... doesn't this make the race Toyota's to lose? The #1 audi was the only one able to match the toyota pace.

Let's see how quickly the Audi garage can get the #1 back on track. Even assuming they'll utilize one of their spare tubs, the RLM guys were speculating the car could be ready in time for tomorrow's qualifying sessions.

The real question, for now, is if Duval will be fit to race this weekend. Marc Gene is the reserve driver for that car; hopefully they won't have to use him.

Let's see how quickly the Audi garage can get the #1 back on track. Even assuming they'll utilize one of their spare tubs, the RLM guys were speculating the car could be ready in time for tomorrow's qualifying sessions.

The real question, for now, is if Duval will be fit to race this weekend. Marc Gene is the reserve driver for that car; hopefully they won't have to use him.
They'll rebuild it, sure. But the #2 is built to the same spec, has had the same time for testing, and it's second slower. A speed rebuild of the #1 probably won't have the same pace.

Hoping for more good news on duval.

Chris R

Well now that we know the driver is OK are they going to show a video replay of the incident? What caused him to get airborne?

They'll rebuild it, sure. But the #2 is built to the same spec, has had the same time for testing, and it's second slower. A speed rebuild of the #1 probably won't have the same pace.

Hoping for more good news on duval.

True, the car may well not be the same.

In any case, with the exception of the 2011, Audi was consistently off the pace of the Peugeots, (sometimes by as much as 3-5 seconds per lap), and yet they almost always found a way to win. The gap to the TS040 seems more manageable, but I agree that this really does seem like Toyota's year.

Audi, Toyota, Porsche with Honda coming and now possibly Ferrari?

This could well be the beginning of the GOAT era.

I'm just rooting for someone other than Audi. They make a great car, for sure, but LeMans has been pretty boring for a while with their dominance.

Rooting for Porsche to make a comeback.

Broadcast schedule for the US breaks down like this:

FOX SPORTS BROADCAST SCHEDULE (subject to change; all times ET):

Saturday, June 14 – 8:30 AM to 4:00 PM (FOX Sports 1, LIVE)
Saturday, June 14 – 4:00 PM to 5:00 PM (FOX Sports 2, LIVE)
Saturday, June 14 – 5:00 PM to 6:30 PM (FOX Sports GO, LIVE)
Saturday, June 14 – 6:30 PM to 1:00 AM (FOX Sports 2, LIVE)
Saturday, June 14 – 1:00 AM to 7:30 AM (FOX Sports 1, LIVE)
Sunday, June 15 – 7:30 AM to 9:30 AM (FOX Sports 2, LIVE)

*Entire race streamed LIVE on FOX Sports GO

Juicy Bob

How did he get airborne, though? These modern prototypes haven't ever been prone to sudden blowovers like the olden days – aside from Davidson, but he was helped.

My guess is he either spun around and the car lifted up backwards, or a tyre blowout caused the same thing.

Goldrusher

My god, that picture is absolutely terrible. I can only hope the driver is okay, and if so that would be an enormous example of how safe motorsport has become.
It's unacceptable that in the year 2014 you can still hit a concrete wall.
No Tecpro, no tire wall, no guard rail, nothing.

jcutner

They are crazy bizarro protoype proof of concept cars. Unreliability comes with the territory.

If teams wanted reliability they'd just roll out a Camry.

Every single ALMS race I've seen it never makes it more than a few laps :(
Love it for being the underdog, but god damn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom