• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 24 Hours of Le Mans 2014 |OT| Audi, Porsche, Toyota. One Winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Does anyone have an info on who is showing this in Canada? I dont get Fox Sports 1 up here :(
If you have access to Speed with your provider then you can follow the race there. Here's their schedule;

ET
8.30am - 5pm (Le Mans)
5-11 pm (NASCAR)
11pm-9.00am Sunday (Le Mans)

If you don't have access to Speed, then your best bet is streaming via the official app which costs $10.99, but sadly it's not desktop compatible.

Yeah, there's honestly nothing better than lapping in the twilight at Le Mans.

Seems that Porsche has broken into the 3:23s for the first time today.

Mastah

this twilight qualifying looks absolutely stunning

Yep!

Bp3-YpHCUAAbnhx.jpg:orig

Bp4Cb-dIMAEYyzt.jpg:orig

Sparks from Porsche:

Where the hell did Porsche's pace come from?!

They're flying out there.
I don't know, but it just made this thing a hell of a lot more exciting...

I've been meaning to ask: what's thw story with GT? Who are the favorites? Corvette were uncharacteristically irrelevant last year, are they back to form?

Juicy Bob

I've been meaning to ask: what's thw story with GT? Who are the favorites? Corvette were uncharacteristically irrelevant last year, are they back to form?
Yeah, Autosport put Corvette as the slight pre-race favourites, although I reckon it's going to be far too close to call in the GT Pro category.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I don't know, but it just made this thing a hell of a lot more exciting...

As far as GTE-Pro, Porsche Team Manthey are clear favourites.

GTE-Am - I'd say Aston Martin Racing or AF Corse.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
The grip the cars have is staggering.
The speed in corners and change of direction of the Audi is amazing.

Why is the race director skipping all the crash footage. So many red flags yet we haven't seen footage of these crashes just CCTV footage of marshalls picking up the cars.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Can you please elaborate on that? Sorry first time watching here.
It's essentially a semi-permanent race course. Parts of the circuit are public roads, that are closed off temporarily during the practice sessions and qualifying. They're reopened after the sessions end. At midnight today in Le Mans parts of the circuit will be back to normal with the driving public going about their business. Not until the weekend are the roads closed off for the period of the race.

You can explore the circuit here and see where the permanent parts end and the public roads begin.

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/viewer?mid=zQbIsxJGLQcY.kP4YaI9BXO2M

Edmond Dantès;116036726 said:
It's essentially a semi-permanent race course. Parts of the circuit are public roads, that are closed off temporarily during the practice sessions and qualifying. They're reopened after the sessions end. At midnight today in Le Mans parts of the circuit will be back to normal with the driving public going about their business. Not until the weekend are the roads closed off for the period of the race.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Mastah

Aaand that's it for today. Session will not be resumed, probably barriers are damaged and need to be repaired.

Unfortunately, it looks like Loic Duval has been ruled out of Le Mans 24 Hours:

Loic Duval will not be allowed to take part in this weekend's Le Mans 24 Hours after crashing heavily in his Audi R18 e-tron quattro during practice.

Duval escaped from the accident, in which the Audi became airborne in the Porsche Curves and slammed into a debris fence, with only cuts to his shoulder and leg, but doctors have decided that he should not take part in the race after tests at a hospital in Le Mans.

The reserve driver for the #1 Audi, Marc Gene, is no slouch, but their driver lineup has taken a hit, (to say nothing of the driver himself).

Fruitster

Folkestone? I went to school there. Stay indoors, stay safe.

Could be worse, he could be in Dover instead. Folkestone's a bit shite, but Dover is in another league when it comes to rundown shitholes. On topic, anyone going out to watch Le Mans, enjoy - lucky bastards!

Holy jesus to that Audi crash! Amazing Duval wasn't seriously hurt or worse. Great to see Porsche having some pace, the dream of a Webber victory could be on the cards after all.

Hackbert

oh great Thread, great OP

Will miss the start, but will watch the end and through the night for a few periods. so excited to thee the battle of the big three. Bring it Porsche. Will be watching the qualification today if available.

blanky

I am super excited, I really wanted to be there in person for the first time this year but that will happen sometime soon. This year has so much potential though! I can't wait!!!

Mastah

What the hell is going on? Crash after crash, red flag after red flag. Di Grassi binned his Audi (yes, the same involved in that huge shunt yesterday), was crawling back to the pits and instead of keeping the car to the right or left, made a very late jinx driving in the middle of track and caused this:

Bp8zuB8CcAAvwOf.jpg:orig

Bp8yGHuIIAApIl4.jpg:orig

Another session plagued by red flags. Doesn't bode well for the race, but I'm curious to see how the new slow-zone procedures will work. Anything is better than a full-course caution.

After another quick turnaround following a (much less severe) shunt, the #1 car's mechanics show once again why Audi is so difficult to beat, even if they can't quite match the pace of the opposition. There's a reason their drivers fight so hard to get a stricken car back to the pits; no matter the problem, chances are the Audi garage can fix it.

Both Toyota and Porsche were in the 3:22s, with apparently more pace still to come; I wonder how much quicker they'll go at night.

Congrats to Toyota on securing pole position. I was hoping the slow-zone would be lifted before the end of the session to see if Porsche would respond, but they could have done a lot worse than starting 2nd and 4th on their return to Le Mans. Looks like Audi will be playing the long game and banking on strategy to win, as they're well off the pace of the other factory squads.

The 'Vettes were nowhere last year, so it's a relief to see that the C7.R is competitive. Hopefully this year is a return to form for Corvette Racing at The Sarthe.

MisterNoisy

Looking forward to the race as I do every year and hoping for an incident free run for the ZEOD RC - hopefully it's a bit more visible than the DeltaWing was. Can't wait for the start and staying up through the wee hours to see it all unfold! :)

EDIT: Godlike OP, btw!

Shaneus

Congrats to Toyota on securing pole position. I was hoping the slow-zone would be lifted before the end of the session to see if Porsche would respond, but they could have done a lot worse than starting 2nd and 4th on their return to Le Mans. Looks like Audi will be playing the long game and banking on strategy to win, as they're well off the pace of the other factory squads.

The 'Vettes were nowhere last year, so it's a relief to see that the C7.R is competitive. Hopefully this year is a return to form for Corvette Racing at The Sarthe.
What were the results?

DrM

Redmond's Baby
wow, one of our commercial TVs (well in the ownership from the biggest ISP) will be airing the race, but not in full - first two hours, whole night and last two hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom