• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 360 Games on Demand Thread of UnUnified Prices, Releases & Paying Way Over Retail

mileS

acm2000 said:
who really expected these to be less than rrp? just look at any other download service.... at least it gives them something else to shove in the deal of the week

well here in Canada I can get all of these games new in stores $10 cheaper. I was excited about this but now.. not so much.

My fundamental problem isn't with GoD, it's with MS' Greatest Hits pricing. These games fundamentally shouldn't be $30. I have no problem with $20. I bought Mirror's Edge new for $20 the other day, for example.

Kryten

Pricing/titles for New Zealand:

COD2 $69.95
Oblivion $49.95
Mass Effect $99.95 (!!!)
Viva Pinata $29.95
Bioshock $49.95

Yeah - way to miss the mark here guys.

MMaRsu

Banned
Kryten said:

COD2 $69.95
Oblivion $49.95
Mass Effect $99.95 (!!!)
Viva Pinata $29.95
Bioshock $49.95

ocimw.gif

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Kryten said:

COD2 $69.95
Oblivion $49.95
Mass Effect $99.95 (!!!)
Viva Pinata $29.95
Bioshock $49.95

Wow.... the prices are all over the place. Basically, if you arent in the US, dont even bother with this service.

EzLink

Banned
Hahaha, what bullshit. Why would I pay more money than I normally would just to eat up my memory?

Lulz, Microsoft

Cday

Banned
Wow you can get a real copy of both Cod2 and PDZ at gamestop for $7. Viva Pinata is around $10. Fuck this shit.

Gomu Gomu

Kryten said:

COD2 $69.95
Oblivion $49.95
Mass Effect $99.95 (!!!)
Viva Pinata $29.95
Bioshock $49.95

:lol . How much is it in retail?

Alex

Pretty much what I expected. I only opt for digital copies on consoles when it's basically the only option in addition to being a fine deal, which is basically the case for a lot of PSN and XBLA games.

For everything else, if it's not something I'm dying to have on release day, it gets bought six months later in mint condition for 15-25 bucks. Some folks may be against used games, but when all publishers try to do is nickel and dime you, even the smallest ones, I have a hard time understanding why.

Arhal_Katarn

I can't believe these prices, games like pdz and kameo shoud be 1200 points at most they are four years old ffs. I mean i would be open to using this service if the prices matched what i could get in store but this is just plain dumb.
At these prices it's not really an impulse buy, and you can't return, sell, trade, lend or borrow etc.

Kryten

Gowans007 said:
wow whats the points values too (click on the price then press Y)?

I'll add them to the op/

I'm pretty sure you can't use points here, it looks like credit card only at this stage. Points purchased direct (i.e. not off a card) are 16.5c each here (ironically, this makes our "Microsoft Dollar" better value overall), so they work out too approximately (excuse my potentially dodgy math)

Doh - found out the points. Sorry for being an idiot. I was pretty close though, I was only out on COD2.

COD2 4400
Oblivion 3000
Mass Effect 6000
Viva Pinata 1800
Bioshock 3000

Edit: retail sucks balls here. Mass Effect is $60 new, COD2 is $50 still. Oblivion GOTY is about $70.

Alex said:
Some folks may be against used games, but when all publishers try to do is nickel and dime you, even the smallest ones, I have a hard time understanding why.

Because standards for disc condition in most used outlets are lower than the lowest sub-basement below the Baxter Building?

Gourry

Sweden has these titles:

Assassin’s Creed
Call of Duty 2
Lego Star Wars The Complete Saga
Mass Effect
Need for Speed Carbon
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Viva Pinata

All of them goes for 349 SEK (Swedish krona), which is ~€44 and with MS Points they are 2400.

Alex

BenjaminBirdie said:
Because standards for disc condition in most used outlets are lower than the lowest sub-basement below the Baxter Building?

Then that's what you get for buying at "used outlets" instead of online where you can verify the condition and completion of the package, in addition to getting it insanely cheaper. Hm, RE5 for 5 bucks below retail or RE5 for 50% below retail.

Popped off a message to an Amazon seller who had Crackdown up for the cheapest, got a first print run, flawless condition copy for 4 bucks + shipping to give to a friend to play with. Even had a 48 hour code with it!

This is pretty much the common element for me.

Paying terrible retailer pricing or even worse; terrible digital pricing is really silly when you have the options you have nowadays, when going for older games I mean.

Console wise, at least, the occasional crazy Steam pricing is still much loved.

Brakara

Kryten said:
I'm pretty sure you can't use points here, it looks like credit card only at this stage.

Check again. After selecting a game for purchase, but before confirming, you have the option to use points instead (by pressing Y). All others have this option, so I'm sure you have it as well.

Also, Gowans, you forgot to include my Norwegian prices. See post#9.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
BenjaminBirdie said:
I don't understand this logic at all. How are retail prices supposed to compete with used prices and how is it MS' fault if/when they don't?

Easy, the price is lowered.

There's no manufacturing cost here. The difference between new and used prices is usually only a couple bucks. DD should be cheaper than retail. This is not cheaper. This is more expensive.

Alex said:
Then that's what you get for buying at "used outlets" instead of online where you can verify the condition and completion of the package.

Please tell me you're smarter than this. Please.

If you can't verify the "completion of the package" and the disc condition at your local GameStop than you must be blind.

Kryten

Brakara said:
Check again. After selecting a game for purchase, but before confirming, you have the option to use points instead (by pressing Y). All others have this option, so I'm sure you have it as well.

Also, Gowans, you forgot to include my Norwegian prices. See post#9.

Yeah, found it - post above has been edited. I was getting scared of accidentally buying one of these with a mis-placed button press.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
they have to be insane. i hope no one buys these overpriced titles and they lower them drastically in price

scarybore

Kryten said:
I'm pretty sure you can't use points here, it looks like credit card only at this stage. Points purchased direct (i.e. not off a card) are 16.5c each here (ironically, this makes our "Microsoft Dollar" better value overall), so they work out too approximately (excuse my potentially dodgy math)

COD2 4200
Oblivion 3000
Mass Effect 6000
Viva Pinata 1800
Bioshock 3000

As much as I love Mass Effect, even I wouldn't pay that much. :lol

The only price that isn't totally insulting is 1600 points, and none of the UK games will sell for that so I have lost all interest in the service. Fecking retarded.

ZealousD said:
Easy, the price is lowered.

There's no manufacturing cost here. The difference between new and used prices is usually only a couple bucks. DD should be cheaper than retail. This is not cheaper. This is more expensive.

As far as I can tell, it's the same. (Which is a whole other sticking point.) Amazon prices are not "retail", they're discounts from a retailer. I wasn't expecting those directly from the publisher.

The reasons I'm still entertaining the notion of this program are:

a) I live in the only country with sane pricing for it
b) I can use points, especially cobbled together from the "change" from other purchases
c) The convenience factor

I do realize how badly MS has designed the pricing for pretty much every other country on Earth.

Alex

ZealousD said:
Please tell me you're smarter than this. Please.

If you can't verify the "completion of the package" and the disc condition at your local GameStop than you must be blind.

You're looking at it the wrong way though.

It's a matter of common sense and selection. When I purchase used, I ain't goin' in for a copy of Madden. Usually they'll have 1-2 copies at best of what I want. If I buy off of Ebay, Half or Amazon I can check between a very large amount of copies.

I've never, ever, ever had good luck with quality from Gamestop, for example, nor are their prices ever any good.

That and the people who work at the Gamestop down the street here are *CREEPY*.

Alphahawk

Looking at gamestop Call of Duty: Game of the year edition is $12.99 that's like more than 50% off what you would pay for the bare bones version on the Marketplace. :lol

MMaRsu

Banned
Barry Lightning said:
i dont give a fuck about the prices.

this is one step closer to getting day-1 retail releases digitally. so whatever.

That will happen eventually whether you buy them or not. So please don't buy them lol.

Barry Lightning said:

this is one step closer to getting day-1 retail releases digitally. so whatever.

Yeah, and judging by these inflated prices you'll be looking at $75 for new releases.

xbhaskarx

If people want to get the prices down, this is a big step in the right direction.

Step 2 is to have Sony also offer a large number of games on demand over PSN. Prices will drop with competition, and eventually we'll also start getting games closer to their retail release date.

_leech_ said:
Yeah, and judging by these inflated prices you'll be looking at $75 for new releases.

i thought you knew: there's transportation and freight charges on digital releases.

and guys, like many things this generation: you better just take this shit up the ass and shut the fuck up. ok? this is next gen.

MMaRsu

Banned
xbhaskarx said:
If people want to get the prices down, this is a big step in the right direction.

Step 2 is to have Sony also offer a large number of games on demand over PSN. Prices will drop with competition, and eventually we'll also start getting games closer to their retail release date.

Exactly. It's just too bad that Sony isn't going to do that because the downloads would be too big.

Barry Lightning said:
i thought you knew: there's transportation and freight charges on digital releases.

and guys, like many things this generation: you better just take this shit up the ass and shut the fuck up. ok? this is next gen.

The fuck? This is current gen.

soldat7

Kudos to Microsoft for allowing full 360 game downloads. However, as usual, they've gone one step forward and two steps back with regards to pricing. I wonder if MS published games will always be cheaper?

mileS

Barry Lightning said:

My head hurts...

This would be easier to ignore if(as others have already said)I didn't already know this shit is gonna start becoming part of the weekly deals. Sure, the DLC deals are balls, but when XBLA games go up for 33/50% off it is pretty nice. Now we're gonna have Assassin's Creed for 25$ :/.

Alphahawk

Barry Lightning said:

I still don't understand why that's a good thig. High Markup Prices+Large install size=me loving retail for life.

Top Bottom